Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Mmmmm, that’s some good fidelity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

Ah yes the mysterious massive amount of content just waiting for the frothy warm goodness to be poured into the eager mouths of the whales. Now that all the pipelines are in I'm sure this huge load of creamy lore-butter will spray all over the game leading to an orgy of citizens delving into the deepest dark corners of the game with lust on their minds.

Tell me more. Except do it while touching my knee. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

He is just shy about letting the world see him dressed up in his VRchat avatar while pounding the crap out of his Fleshlight with new Banu insert.

So you think he ripped off my Banu Merchamtmangirl and is now role playing as himher in VR chat? With tentacles?!??

I'm ok with that. :grin:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is probably one of the best bugs. :homebrew:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

ggangensis posted:

Anyway, anything new in the world of SC? Only thing I watched in the last 2-3 weeks is a 3.5 video from FailureToReport and it seems everything is going as smooth as usual for CIG. When will people finally stop giving them money? For me that whole Star Citizen joke has worn out and I want to see the season finale sooner rather than later. We had paying for jpegs, paying for for space monokels, paying for imaginary land, paying for ship names, Ben Lesnick, killer doors, nightmarish, deskeletized people... I think we really saw it all (well, except for a game, of course) and I want the conclusion. Now :argh:

I would be willing to bet that within ~12 months they are going start selling in-game real estate soon. It's the perfect "upsell/cross-sell" for all the whales. I am sure we'll see lot's of other macrotransactions that haven't even been conceptualized yet (e.g. special quantum fuel that doesn't cause heat issues).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Just like Australia.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

skeletors_condom posted:

I would be willing to bet that within ~12 months they are going start selling in-game real estate soon. It's the perfect "upsell/cross-sell" for all the whales. I am sure we'll see lot's of other macrotransactions that haven't even been conceptualized yet (e.g. special quantum fuel that doesn't cause heat issues).

I mean they... kinda already did?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

Tojal is mind-bogglingly stupid, which makes it :discourse: that he and Vertisce seem to have teamed up lol

Blunder twin powers, activate!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/Pe6qFTH.gifv

Full Version

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Really enjoyed this video from Reddit, someone stood on the pads at Port O and grabbed a wide-angle view of thrilling dogfight action.

You can really feel all the high-G maneuvers as the pilots... mostly sit perfectly in place and endlessly rotate to fire streams of bullets at each other, failing utterly to land any damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev7MtNQZYck

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

"How did you do that?"
"Do what?"
"You move like they do. I've never seen anyone move that fast."

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I wonder what it is like to live in a reality that is shifted just far enough off of sanity but still within the realm of "acceptable" behavior that you can go through life without ever facing the fact that you are just wrong on so many levels. Looking at you Vert :)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

"How did you do that?"
"Do what?"
"You move like they do. I've never seen anyone move that fast."

I had the exact same quote in my head.

Potato Salad posted:

Every null CSM member does inside trading.

When the R64/T2 change in...2013?...was announced, it was plainly discoverable that people had been hoarding otherwise-worthless r64 products for weeks at great scale.

Good time to play eve now? I've been away for half a decade.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

monkeytek posted:

I wonder what it is like to live in a reality that is shifted just far enough off of sanity but still within the realm of "acceptable" behavior that you can go through life without ever facing the fact that you are just wrong on so many levels. Looking at you Vert :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

yeah john carmack was a programming genious wasnt he.
unfortunately he was no great visionary.
thats why doom was missing the core features we expect in a true classic game like:

- macrotransactions
- a weekly show
- sign language
- foip
- a dedicated and controlled forum
- a wankpod

that is why doom has barely any legacy and was soon completely forgotten

John who? Working on doom? What the hell is a doom? Sounds like a stupid name for a movie.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

that person that posted on the reddit about having their entire account vanish, and reddit telling him its because of his evil grey market dealing

did we ever get a followup?

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

shrach posted:

They specifically say that they pick and chose which items were from where. So the headline income figure in the "financials" that they released are stated to be from the tracker, NOT from their various financial accounts. So it really had to match the tracker exactly exactly since that was the source in those "financials".

So my statement of "if we accept those financials then the tracker is correct" basically reduces to "if we accept the tracker is correct we accept the tracker is correct".

Oh well, the purpose of CI(G) and it's 17 shell companies is to sell dreams to whales so I guess this isn't surprising. Even so I don't think there's an ELE happening any time soon.

I, for one, will be staying frosty till then.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Peter.Quint posted:

So my statement of "if we accept those financials then the tracker is correct" basically reduces to "if we accept the tracker is correct we accept the tracker is correct".

The tracker is both true and false until such a time as it becomes fixed.

It’s more of a wave function at the moment. A probability curve. A metaphorical waggly hand.

Treat it as bullshit, take it as gospel, it doesn’t really matter until it hits a court.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sandepande posted:

The cast of sordid backers grows thin. Those same names keep popping up. Apparently. What do I know? I only gobble up these reddit copypastas, because I'm afraid to take the plunge and go read the originals.

Tojal's rants make him more like an elder machine-spirit soother than a senior software engineer, and seemingly he might be the most horrid guy to work with. Or could this be that only SC triggers such behaviour? Or should I just go watch the two latest episodes of Discovery instead of trying to conduct futile personality analysis of a wall of text?

Choices.

It's critical to understand that the people the thread arguing with the people in the Reddit thread are two sides who don't actually play the game, outside of like Beet Wagon.

It's also hilarious to realize that as well.

Both sides arguing some game sucks or is the best game ever, and neither side plays it. The people arguing it sucks at least have a good reason. The guys arguing it's awesome and also not playing it at all, are significantly less wise.

Both sides love the concept of the game, because it's the kind of thing that everybody's wanted since forever but for some reason nobody has made. Mass Effect came close, but it was more or less an adventure game rather than a Starflight type adventure, mixed with a nice helping of Sundog.

Starflight having kinky sex with Sundog and shooting out a modern baby would be super awesome.

Both sides want the same thing, only one side is ignoring the incredible technical debt mixed with a massive helping of too-late-itous caused by the pointless need to make everything look graphically amazing instead of actually making a loving game for those graphics to live in. And naturally that in turn results in huge swaths of time updating graphics that shouldn't even be there to blend in with whatever the flavor of the day is.

Meanwhile the people who genuinely play the game itself are oblivious to the stupid fight over the games current greatness. And sometimes when they poke their head up from the trenches and ask some seemingly mundane question about the status of the game, one of the two sides not playing the game blow it clean off. Usually it's the "supporters" which makes it all hilariously ironic. Alienating the few players is a great way to support your dream.

Anyhow, carry on! :glomp:

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 9, 2019

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Beet Wagon posted:

Whatever happened to the real estate sales and the real estate beacons and all that? I had completely forgotten it until just now.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I think this commando has failed his drink mixing mini-game.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I came here because I was promised sexy bears and thus was intrigued.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Well as it turns out Steve was a SC backer that died.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1115381168810143746

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1115381170311712774

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1115381170961833984

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1115381171590975488

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1115381172178231299

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1115381177614000128

:smith:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

drat, that’s pretty sad.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Another backer dies before seeing the game. This is going to get more and more common as time goes on.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Whatever happened to the real estate sales and the real estate beacons and all that? I had completely forgotten it until just now.

Still in concept and buried beneath piles of technical debt? They got money for them, that’s what matters.

It does make me wonder why they haven’t followed up with player structures yet. Maybe even they realize that it should be low priority, where building core functionality should come first.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

The Titanic posted:

It's critical to understand that the people the thread arguing with the people in the Reddit thread are two sides who don't actually play the game, outside of like Beet Wagon.

Anyhow, carry on! :glomp:

Every patch, I boot the game up, and I try to find personal anecdotal examples of everything I want to argue...but the reality is (and I think Beet can probably attest to this) that while there are hundreds upon thousands of bugs, the vast majority of them are...boring. Sure, poo poo is broken as can be but it takes hundreds of hours of playtime to run into those truly WTF moments and honestly I don't have the time for that.

It's mainly why I try to keep my arguments related to the historical record of the game and it's development up to this point as possible and not slew into "man this game SUCKS because it doesn't do X Y or Z right" - it's much easier to try to be objective with that sort of topic.

Also Steve seemed like a real righteous dude - I think flying spaceships with him on Discord would have been fun. :smith:

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Beet Wagon posted:

drat, that’s pretty sad.

I was just now thinking that it would be a cool gesture if we could make contribution to some worthy charity that supports firefighters in his memory. Then I thought how amazing it would be to see the commandos melt down over that. Then I felt like a shitheel about my motives, so maybe not.

If someone who’s better at organizing this stuff is inclined to set something up I’d be happy to chip in. Steve seemed like an alright guy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

jadebullet posted:

hi!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is monokuma anime? Asking for a friend. 'cuz he sexy bear

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

:gary: I would just like to say that I haven't read any of the reddit screenshots that are longer than one sentence.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

hi!

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
If someone had told me back in 2012 that I'd see the conclusion of Game of Thrones before the conclusion of Game of JPEGS I would have thought they were crazy.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

I was thinking about condos and stuff... or can you already buy your own private "hab?"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

skeletors_condom posted:

I was thinking about condos and stuff... or can you already buy your own private "hab?"

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16292-Q-A-UEE-Land-Claim-Licenses

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

BobHoward posted:

did anyone point out to samfreez that if Roberts has technology capable of melding discrete servers into a supercomputer with no cluster scaling issues he could make a killing in the srs bzness software world? Forget vidya games, he'd be an industry titan, and free of worry about where the next Porsche comes from for the rest of his life.

He doesn't need to. He is making a killing in the game development world and at the rate of development, he is free of worry about where the next Porsche comes from, for the rest of his life.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

They specifically say that they pick and chose which items were from where. So the headline income figure in the "financials" that they released are stated to be from the tracker, NOT from their various financial accounts. So it really had to match the tracker exactly exactly since that was the source in those "financials".

CIG actually explicitly say that the financials are derived from the tracker figures? Excuse me for my laziness, can you please link were was that? hosed up if true.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol.

Just lol if you can't explain "Technical Debt" as a developer/programmer.

loving lol. God drat, tojal!

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ggangensis posted:

Steve is a pretty cool guy :trustme:

Anyway, anything new in the world of SC? Only thing I watched in the last 2-3 weeks is a 3.5 video from FailureToReport and it seems everything is going as smooth as usual for CIG. When will people finally stop giving them money? For me that whole Star Citizen joke has worn out and I want to see the season finale sooner rather than later. We had paying for jpegs, paying for for space monokels, paying for imaginary land, paying for ship names, Ben Lesnick, killer doors, nightmarish, deskeletized people... I think we really saw it all (well, except for a game, of course) and I want the conclusion. Now :argh:

Steve did a pretty decent job when Linus from LinusTechTips was getting roasted on stage recently.