Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Echophonic posted:

The more I use Spark, the less I like it. The notifications are really finicky and they don't re-update if emails are removed from someplace else.

I also don't like how much the emails jump around on the screen.

I wonder if it's one of those apps that work better on iOS. I never have trouble with Outlook on iOS but its snoozing is so broken on Android I'm sending videos to escalated support about it. At least I know someone is looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Any good calendar apps?
Must have.
1. That I can share it with my wife.
2. That I can copy paste appointments, from date to date.
Nice to have?
3. Pc integration. (Windows 10)
4. That c&p is also drag and drop for the time of the appointment.
5. Task lists that can convert 2 time and date.
(Example, task schedule doctors appointment, when that is done convert to doctors appointment next Monday and so on.
6. Gmail integration.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

vuk83 posted:

Any good calendar apps?
Must have.
1. That I can share it with my wife.
2. That I can copy paste appointments, from date to date.
Nice to have?
3. Pc integration. (Windows 10)
4. That c&p is also drag and drop for the time of the appointment.
5. Task lists that can convert 2 time and date.
(Example, task schedule doctors appointment, when that is done convert to doctors appointment next Monday and so on.
6. Gmail integration.

Are you having a problem doing these in built in Google Calendar?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

fishmech posted:

Are you having a problem doing these in built in Google Calendar?

Google Calendar has horrible PC integration outside of your most basic "sync events". You still cannot do like 85% of the things you should be able to do from the app, you are required to use the desktop site to do any management. I guess you could just open a Chrome tab and force desktop mode but that's kind of a pain in the rear end when there's literally no reason that the app shouldn't support these features in the first place

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

You still cannot do like 85% of the things you should be able to do from the app, you are required to use the desktop site to do any management.

Like what? Not doubting, but I use it pretty much just for making events so I really don't know.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

sourdough posted:

Like what? Not doubting, but I use it pretty much just for making events so I really don't know.

My main problem is the lack of copypasta. I have a shifting work schedule, and I would like a way to set a work shift appointment with all the basic info, address, contact info and poo poo and be able to copy and paste the event. You used to be able to do that in outlook but they got webinterfacitis and also suck now.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Also if it could scrape an email, and convert into an appointment.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

vuk83 posted:

Also if it could scrape an email, and convert into an appointment.

The Google Calendar website can do all of that. You can duplicate an event and edit the new one. Gmail can be setup to put items into your Calendar but it's pretty unreliable to do automatically.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

sourdough posted:

No copy/pasting events, no administrative calendar access, you cannot add/remove calendars from your account (only check and uncheck visible ones), no invite or sharing tools. There's probably a lot more that I'm missing because I honestly don't even use GCal that heavily and it's still irritating to use. It's literally JUST a viewer for your calendars. It's embarrassing as hell but par for the course for Google, who remains keen on killing useful things in favor of ones that have practically zero functionality (like Allo for the massively shittier Messages)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

gariig posted:

The Google Calendar website can do all of that. You can duplicate an event and edit the new one. Gmail can be setup to put items into your Calendar but it's pretty unreliable to do automatically.

See that's part of the problem. Google has crippled apps but quite decent web stuff, and for a lot of us getting to a desktop every time we need to do something just isn't convenient.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

effika posted:

See that's part of the problem. Google has crippled apps but quite decent web stuff, and for a lot of us getting to a desktop every time we need to do something just isn't convenient.

There is a definite generational divide between those who prefer to do things on a mobile device in an app and those who prefer to use a site in a browser (and another divide there between people who use dedicated applications like it's 1990).

Try as I might I could never conceive of what it would feel like to want to manage my calendar or email on a mobile app. I can see why someone might pay someone to kick them in the balls and I can imagine the mindset of someone who wants nothing more than to indulge a narcotics addiction even though I personally wouldn't want either, but someone wanting to administer their Google apps on a mobile device is just something I cannot grasp.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

LastInLine posted:

There is a definite generational divide between those who prefer to do things on a mobile device in an app and those who prefer to use a site in a browser (and another divide there between people who use dedicated applications like it's 1990).

Try as I might I could never conceive of what it would feel like to want to manage my calendar or email on a mobile app. I can see why someone might pay someone to kick them in the balls and I can imagine the mindset of someone who wants nothing more than to indulge a narcotics addiction even though I personally wouldn't want either, but someone wanting to administer their Google apps on a mobile device is just something I cannot grasp.

Its not that bad to use the mobile app. I run into problems when I'm adding follow-up doctor appointments to it while I'm still in the office and I accidentally put it under the wrong calendar (like business vs. family). There's no way to edit the event to change it to another calendar.

Its more that its something I have to remember to fix at a later time instead of just fixing it right then and there.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rifter17 posted:

Its not that bad to use the mobile app. I run into problems when I'm adding follow-up doctor appointments to it while I'm still in the office and I accidentally put it under the wrong calendar (like business vs. family). There's no way to edit the event to change it to another calendar.

Its more that its something I have to remember to fix at a later time instead of just fixing it right then and there.

Tap the event, three dots, Copy To the right calendar, delete original. Stupid to not have it under Edit, I agree, though!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rifter17 posted:

Deathlove posted:

Tap the event, three dots, Copy To the right calendar, delete original. Stupid to not have it under Edit, I agree, though!

Yeah, it's stupid and should be there but really I was making the distinction between administering things, like creating calendars or making new labels and filters in GMail versus the apps just being viewers like Tiny Tubesteak Tom said. There's no excuse for lacking being able to edit a calendar event's calendar from the app, that's true and undeniable, but what I was really referring to is the paradigm difference between "Everything should be doable on a mobile device" versus "Some things just require a different interface".

And let's be real, my side of it (preferring to do most things on a laptop or PC in a browser) isn't the future at all. I'm the old man yelling at the cloud. Plenty of people lack a PC altogether and that's only going to be more true as time moves on, but it's clear Google currently subscribes to the delineation of the two for the time being. I think the problem is the UI would be really hard to get right in exchange for very few people actually doing using it.

A good example would be the Home app. It's the *only* way to set up your Google smart home and administer it and, to be quite frank, it's a mess with too many features hidden in too many places that would only benefit from the screen space and input freedom that a desktop interface would provide. Unfortunately there's probably too much local data to store and too much complexity to jam it into a web app and we know how Google feels about standalone apps. There's plusses and minuses both ways (for the counterexample look at iTunes) but the direction things are going is clear.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
If recent history is any indication, Google is probably more likely to redesign their web calendar to be more like the mobile app, rather than the other way around. Get ready for a whole lot more white space and fewer options!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I gave up on Spark. Has a few good ideas, but overall I found it slow/unwilling to sync, the notification actions not being reflected in my inbox, and it seems like there's no to not have it show notification content on my lockscreen. Back to Gmail, I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spyde posted:

If recent history is any indication, Google is probably more likely to redesign their web calendar to be more like the mobile app, rather than the other way around. Get ready for a whole lot more white space and fewer options!

What features were removed with the UI revamp?

As for the whitespace, I see a lot of complaining about larger, clearer, and more touch-friendly UIs online but I never see any of the complainers point to examples of UIs they think are good. The newer UIs look far better and are way more easily glanceable than the old ones at least in the case of Google stuff like GMail, Calendar, and other Material Design refreshes (I'll readily admit that stuff like the Windows 10 Modern Settings panes or macOS's Dashboard or ChromeOS's launcher being really bad).

I get the feeling that kind of person willing to complain about UI whitespace is the kind of person who complains about every UI change and would prefer it if everything looked like Foobar 2000 running on Windows NT. The kind of person who's blocking css files on the forums and complaining if the font changes (and downloading Stylish profiles to change it back). You can't reason with those people anyway so there's no reason to take their opinions into account.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
That's weird: I've got a Google Tasks update, and it's asked me to copy across the reminders I had saved via Google Assistant, and delete the Assistant ones. So they now live alongside Google Calendar, Gmail, and Keep, even the recurring ones.

My first thought was that they're now pulling functionality out of Assistant and into a dedicated app; however, doing the 'OK Google remind me to X at Y' thing results in fresh reminders showing up in Google Assistant, the ones you can only access by searching 'view reminders' in Google search.

I sort of understand why they'd want the Assistant and Tasks reminders to at least be aware of each other, but I don't understand why there's multiple reminder apps now, all in their own silo. Three, if you count Keep.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

LastInLine posted:

I get the feeling that kind of person willing to complain about UI whitespace is the kind of person who complains about every UI change and would prefer it if everything looked like Foobar 2000 running on Windows NT. The kind of person who's blocking css files on the forums and complaining if the font changes (and downloading Stylish profiles to change it back). You can't reason with those people anyway so there's no reason to take their opinions into account.
:confused: Yikes, that came out of left field and says a lot more about you than it does me.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Geop posted:

Hmm. I found the setting but it's already disabled. I'll snoop around in google a bit more, since I now know the verbiage/wording to use for this.

Are you sure it's the home button causing the wake? It could be you are inadvertently double tapping the screen, for example, which wakes on my Pixel (so probably on your phone too?).

To be honest I'm not sure if that feature can even be turned off, but it's another avenue for you to look in to.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

incogneato posted:

Are you sure it's the home button causing the wake? It could be you are inadvertently double tapping the screen, for example, which wakes on my Pixel (so probably on your phone too?).

To be honest I'm not sure if that feature can even be turned off, but it's another avenue for you to look in to.

You can turn off the double tap. It was too sensitive for me and I turned it off on my phone pretty quickly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

You can turn off the double tap. It was too sensitive for me and I turned it off on my phone pretty quickly.

How do you turn it on/off if it's greyed out?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CLAM DOWN posted:

How do you turn it on/off if it's greyed out?

I was going to ask the same thing, since mine is also greyed out but on.

Playing around with settings, it looks like you can toggle tap to wake only if you turn off Ambient Display. I love having Ambient Display, so I guess double tap to wake is staying on for me.

If someone knows of a way to turn off double tap to wake while keeping Ambient Display, I'd love to know.

Edit: Wait, apparently I did manage to turn it off and keep ambient display on? Unless I'm confused, it looks like you can only toggle the option while ambient display is turned off. But when you turn back on ambient display, it stays with whatever you had selected. I don't get it, but okay at least it can be changed.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 11, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spyde posted:

:confused: Yikes, that came out of left field and says a lot more about you than it does me.

That was the intention, what with the leading with "I..." My question remains as to exactly what was removed in the last UI update. As far as I'm aware, the web calendar is functionally identical to its last iteration.

spincube posted:

That's weird: I've got a Google Tasks update, and it's asked me to copy across the reminders I had saved via Google Assistant, and delete the Assistant ones. So they now live alongside Google Calendar, Gmail, and Keep, even the recurring ones.

My first thought was that they're now pulling functionality out of Assistant and into a dedicated app; however, doing the 'OK Google remind me to X at Y' thing results in fresh reminders showing up in Google Assistant, the ones you can only access by searching 'view reminders' in Google search.

I sort of understand why they'd want the Assistant and Tasks reminders to at least be aware of each other, but I don't understand why there's multiple reminder apps now, all in their own silo. Three, if you count Keep.

This is disturbing on a lot of levels. Why are there competing Google services for the same function? Why is the oldest one actively poaching users from the Google's newest and arguably only cross-service initiative, Assistant? You expect a lot of duplication at Google but isn't this the first time you've seen one actively prompt a user to switch to it without there being an announcement about the latter going away?

How is Google this organizationally chaotic?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

LastInLine posted:

How is Google this organizationally chaotic?

They spent so long worshiping The Algorithm that they, themselves, are now but a crew of quasi-intelligent automatons. It's clearly their hope that the emergent results of a thousand energetic but unthinking parallel processes can produce work of the same worth as an entity with actual discretion.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've recently decided to use my Google Voice number for my work phone, but I'm having trouble either getting the GV app to ring on its own or getting the regular dialer app to play the ring tone I've set for my GV number (assuming that when someone calls the GV number it then calls my personal number from the GV number). What am I doing wrong here? I've so far been able to get the regular dialer to ring silently or to ring with my normal ringtone by playing around with various settings in Voice.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hooah posted:

I've recently decided to use my Google Voice number for my work phone, but I'm having trouble either getting the GV app to ring on its own or getting the regular dialer app to play the ring tone I've set for my GV number (assuming that when someone calls the GV number it then calls my personal number from the GV number). What am I doing wrong here? I've so far been able to get the regular dialer to ring silently or to ring with my normal ringtone by playing around with various settings in Voice.

Are you using Sprint? Mine stopped working the same way last year and I can't figure it out. It was suggested to disable WiFi calling but that didn't help.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Medullah posted:

Are you using Sprint? Mine stopped working the same way last year and I can't figure it out. It was suggested to disable WiFi calling but that didn't help.

No, Verizon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I figured it out: I had to bring Hangouts into the loop. Once I told it to answer Google Voice calls for my account, the phone rings just fine.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a way to get Google Drive (or Onedrive) to keep a file synced between my computer and my phone, in a way that makes the file on the phone accessible to other apps?

I have a Gameboy Emulator on my PC and my Phone, and I'd like to keep the game saves synced such that I can stop playing on one device and resume on the other with the same save.

I have the save files in a folder on Google Drive, but it appears to Drive does not maintain a folder on the phone the same way it does on the computer, rather the phone app lets me browse what's stored in the cloud and select items to download manually.

I even selected one of the save files in the Drive app and selected "make available offline", and it says it did so, but I can't find a Google Drive folder on my phone storage or SD card when browsing the file system with the system file browser.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Annath posted:

Is there a way to get Google Drive (or Onedrive) to keep a file synced between my computer and my phone, in a way that makes the file on the phone accessible to other apps?

I have a Gameboy Emulator on my PC and my Phone, and I'd like to keep the game saves synced such that I can stop playing on one device and resume on the other with the same save.

I have the save files in a folder on Google Drive, but it appears to Drive does not maintain a folder on the phone the same way it does on the computer, rather the phone app lets me browse what's stored in the cloud and select items to download manually.

I even selected one of the save files in the Drive app and selected "make available offline", and it says it did so, but I can't find a Google Drive folder on my phone storage or SD card when browsing the file system with the system file browser.

Check out Resilio Sync.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Any recommendations for an app that lets you use your phone as a keyboard for a windows machine on you wLAN?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.howtogeek.com/240794/how-to-use-your-smartphone-as-a-mouse-keyboard-and-remote-control-for-your-pc/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What's up with this Kiwi Browser that everyone's writing about today? What's the horrible secret behind why I shouldn't consider it?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's a version of Chrome that lets you use Chrome Desktop Extentions. Occasionally. When it feels like working.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I got that much, I just figured it mined bitcoins for Nazis or something like that. It's nice when something is bad just because it doesn't work instead of some other horrible reason.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

LastInLine posted:

What's up with this Kiwi Browser that everyone's writing about today? What's the horrible secret behind why I shouldn't consider it?

I use Kiwi browser without any issues? What problems are being talked about?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Roid666 posted:

I use Kiwi browser without any issues? What problems are being talked about?

None, LastInLine is just pre-empting the practically inevitable milkshake duck moment. I just downloaded it last night to try it out and it seems good. I uninstalled brave; I tolerated it for a while despite all its ~~blockchain~~ associations just because it was a fast ad-free browser, but then it started giving me notifications for donations, which uhhh, yeah thats not happening.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone else see what I assume was an A/B test on Gboard yesterday? Back to normal now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Deathlove posted:

Anyone else see what I assume was an A/B test on Gboard yesterday? Back to normal now.
With the rectangular return key and the weird emoji panel? Yeah, mine changed back this morning.