Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Really makes me think about the first ep of Ash vs Evil Dead. Ash is totally just the modern Guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zerilan posted:

Really makes me think about the first ep of Ash vs Evil Dead. Ash is totally just the modern Guts.

I...never made that connection, haha.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I just noticed that Guts' hips are way too high up relative to hers, it looks like he's penetrating her belly button.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Carpator Diei posted:

I just noticed that Guts' hips are way too high up relative to hers, it looks like he's penetrating her belly button.

This too also tracks

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Out of character since Guts never fucks

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He and Casca got down. Guts fucks, deal with it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Where are those colorized pages from?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zerilan posted:

Wasn’t Guts losing a hand actually inspired by Ash or did I just imagine that?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

lezard_valeth posted:

does the manga really start with this or am I missing something

e:

holy poo poo this is amazing already. this will be a fun read

Was this in color? I don't remember this being in color and the rereleased deluxe edition I just got is in black and white.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Imma go ahead and guess that back in the day this was a very popular forum shitpost reaction meme

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Looking back at that image, it looks so weird the way its shaded and angled. Like he has 2 upper lips, but that's supposed to be teeth.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Looking back at that image, it looks so weird the way its shaded and angled. Like he has 2 upper lips, but that's supposed to be teeth.

To be fair, looking back at that image it looks like somebody's poorly traced fanart so it's not surprising the shading is a bit wonky

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

lezard_valeth posted:

Imma go ahead and guess that back in the day this was a very popular forum shitpost reaction meme

Oh, sweet, I love first time reader commentary. Please keep posting and enjoy the wild ride that is Berserk! I'm jealous you get to read it for the first time. Berserk is real good.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a question. Yes, I know they're not the same thing (other than I guess having a very frustrating anime ending), but it's something that I need a mini-census because of a talk I was having with a friend.

How many of you folks read Claymore and what did you think about it?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I stopped reading it somewhere around the time where the big centaur dude gets killed

I remember that I had a rather bad impression. Everyone had the same loving face, even the dudes. (That old hood-wearing guy had the worst case of babyface, seriously.) I was annoyed how many monsters came down to just a mess of tentacles doing incomprehensible stuff at incredible speed. (Now there's a selling point.) And the sword techniques were kinda lame.

So, basically... Very samey, hard to tell characters apart, some of the monster designs were the only real highlight.

To be fair, I never bothered going back to it after that, so who knows how accurate that is :shrug:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Elentor posted:

I have a question. Yes, I know they're not the same thing (other than I guess having a very frustrating anime ending), but it's something that I need a mini-census because of a talk I was having with a friend.

I think that manga ka has a serious thing for amputation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Elentor posted:

First and foremost, while it definitely gives off Berserk vibes initially you quickly come to realize that Claymore is profoundly more straight up shounen than anything like what Berserk brings to the table. So in general it's a story you have to approach from more of a Dragonball/Naruto/Bleach/One Piece sort of perspective; just the way characters get powerups and the choreography/pacing of the fights, as well as the tone, is way more in that space.

It starts out interesting but not really all that special before super ramping up into a series of pretty great/rad arcs, peters out for a while, and then comes back to finish pretty strong. I liked it quite a bit even if it didn't exactly win any all-time-great shounen awards. It did what it set out to do and did so well enough by the end which is a lot more than some manga series can say.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah when I said "not the same thing" I was thinking about the fact that Claymore is a very shounen shounen half disguised as a seinen but that goes away very fast. Still we were talking and got curious to see how much of the "dark fantasy" vibe would cross over between two very different stories from the pov of Berserk readers.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I read and enjoyed Claymore; I think it's fair to say that superficially it has a similar tone, but I think it lacks the sense of overarching design which makes Berserk feel so interesting.
It's good and worth reading IMO, but not the sort of classic that I'd go out of my way to recommend.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

Was this in color? I don't remember this being in color and the rereleased deluxe edition I just got is in black and white.

those first few pages were originally in color and you can tell because of how different they look in black and white. I'm not aware of any English release that actually retained the color though

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Elentor posted:

I'll echo what most people have said, I really liked it (and read it about the same time I got into Berserk) but they're tonally quite different. I would recommend it though.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Elentor posted:

I liked the first half of Claymore, then after the timeskip it kind of started feeling like the author was trying to rush though their planned plot points and just get the manga done with. The second half came off as a jumbled mess where poo poo happens non-stop with zero downtime to give the events any sense of weight.

So overall mixed feelings. Would have liked it a lot more if it were paced better

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I remember not liking the Claymore anime, just lots of power up sound effects before an attack happened.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I read Claymore a few months ago when Shonen Jump did their digital format change. It started out really badass, then it hit a rhythm where it kept repeating the same plot beats for the last 50+ chapters and I only finished it because I'd started it. Not because it was still fun to read.

Pretty sure the final arc tumbled down the stairs in a pile of cartoon limbs and power level spikes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Claymore actually ended pretty well.

After the main character completed her journey to do what she set out to do from the outset, the story was done and it didn't need to go off to the other area with even bigger villains.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Radish posted:

Claymore actually ended pretty well.

After the main character completed her journey to do what she set out to do from the outset, the story was done and it didn't need to go off to the other area with even bigger villains.

I liked claymore a lot and I recognize that ending as one of the best parts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The final battle is legit one of the best parts of the whole manga, there was a whole lot of nothing leading up to it but it was worth the wait IMO.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Knowing what will eventually happen, going through Guts childhood trauma and his meeting with the band of the hawks is a really :smith: experience

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Elentor posted:

Really enjoyed until the timeskip where it started to get a bit confused. Some of the monster designs were amazing. Helen is #1 champion and for a "Really 700 years old" cliche Riful was pretty cool.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pewdiepie posted:

I think that manga ka has a serious thing for amputation.

There's a reason the old thread was named "A farewell to arms"

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think if Miura had time travel to change how he did things, the opening of Berserk would be wildly different to the point of it sharing basically no panels.
And you don't like Lost Children either, amirite? What's wrong with him using a little entrapment on that apostle? Surely he never uses anyone as bait around that time of the story. Except oh that kid in Lost Children, and using his hand to trap miss pointy later.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Guts has a lot of issues around sex given what he’s witnessed and experienced. Using sex to trap an apostle, as well as making him super vulnerable, seems wildly out of character.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

This was one of my favorite parts in the anime and it looks even more sick in the manga due to the shading.

I love you Guts, you crazy rear end maniac

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Ccs posted:

Guts has a lot of issues around sex given what he’s witnessed and experienced. Using sex to trap an apostle, as well as making him super vulnerable, seems wildly out of character.

I imagine if Miura could redo it, he'd have some other normal guy having sex, the apostle transforms and almost eats him, and then Guts suddenly appears when he shoves his arm into the apostle's mouth and blows it up, and the normal guy is freaking out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I can see it as Guts hunting her, she senses him and she proposes sex in some isolated place or wherever it was like most of her prey. Gut either accepts an easy way to kill her without involving anyone else or probably trying to attack some sort of bordello and whatever guards they could involve to kill one apostle. His hatred probably overtook any issues he should have had with this kind of scenario.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the opening few pages makes no sense to me in terns of guts' character but it does a great job telling the reader what they're in for

in conclusion, guts loving the demon that murdered corkus is a land of contrasts

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Corkus being the first to be avenged is fair.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If he didn't have the mark there would probably be a lot of dead prostitutes until he found her. But then again, sex workers were gonna die in Berserk in a lot of other bad ways too.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

sex workers have a better life expectancy in berserk than any other demographic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I am almost done with the Golden Age arc and so far the only prostitute that has died is Shisu, who died writhing in pain due to the plague, holding the hand of her adoptive son.

Which I consider a peaceful death in comparison considering everyone else so far has died by massive blood loss due to limb severing, skull crushed by BFS or just outright cut in half.