Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Cowards

Next you'll be wanting to enact climate change legislation that could lower the risk of tornadoes, instead of fighting them with your sidearm, like a real american badass (me, who is definitely not a physical coward)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ah the gun, a coward’s weapon.

The most powerful weapon in a tornado hunter’s arsenal is honor.

*unsheathes katana*

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

jobson groeth posted:

They're not scared of me and my candy. They should be though.
Why? What kinda lovely candy you giving out?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The people on my life that are the most fearful are the most Christian. I really don’t understand if you believe in the after life in the way that they say they do that they would be scared of pretty much going outside at all .

They aren’t all geezers either . I’m not sure who’s to blame (beside religion), but the media definitely makes things worse. None of them live in a high crimes , or even average crime area, yet being murdered by a stranger is a significant threat to them .

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Brawnfire posted:

It doesn't help that, in my case at least, I'm attracted to dark irony in humor because it has the tint of my worldview, so while it can be a comfort to see a joke or meme that "gets it" I think it really is a self-reinforcing cycle if you don't, like, diversify your humor profile to include the wholesome or campy.

Sounds like you need to catch caturday night fever

https://twitter.com/SlenderSherbet/status/1114949012166193158

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dr.Caligari posted:

It was only on the last couple years I realized that all those “tornado drills” we frequently had were just this

The tornado drills were for tornados.

Nuclear drills involved hiding under your desk if your school didn’t have a bomb shelter. Any similarity is because both tornados and nuclear blasts knock buildings down.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr.Caligari posted:

The people on my life that are the most fearful are the most Christian. I really don’t understand if you believe in the after life in the way that they say they do that they would be scared of pretty much going outside at all .

They aren’t all geezers either . I’m not sure who’s to blame (beside religion), but the media definitely makes things worse. None of them live in a high crimes , or even average crime area, yet being murdered by a stranger is a significant threat to them .

i think faith is one of those things that people either have or don't, and you don't really just have faith in one thing if you have it

they have faith in their church and have been raised to have that faith, naturally that bleeds out into other poo poo like having faith in fox news and tom clancy novels and james woods

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Dr.Caligari posted:

In America at least, Conservative beliefs correlate heavily with a broader and deeper fear response, regardless of religious background. You could be seeing that, though I guess it's a chicken or the egg situation.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

I think Curtis Mayfield explains it pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1xmXOP3lhM

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

dovetaile posted:

Why? What kinda lovely candy you giving out?

Probably that garbage "peanut"(?) flavored Halloween candy that comes in the solid orange and black wrappers that absolutely no one should ever eat ever.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Probably that garbage "peanut"(?) flavored Halloween candy that comes in the solid orange and black wrappers that absolutely no one should ever eat ever.

Those are Circus Peanuts, and the only thing they taste like is despair.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, I'm thinking of these things:

I think I ate one once when I was about 9. I don't remember quite what it tasted like, but I know I will never try one again. And this is from a man that once ate cold Chef Boyardee out of the can in the cold and dark with a pair of scissors because our power and water got shut off.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Apr 9, 2019

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think I ate one once when I was about 9. I don't remember quite what it tasted like, but I know I will never try one again. And this is from a man that once ate cold Chef Boyardee out of the can in the cold and dark with a pair of scissors because our power and water got shut off.

These are gross

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

AlbieQuirky posted:

The tornado drills were for tornados.

Nuclear drills involved hiding under your desk if your school didn’t have a bomb shelter. Any similarity is because both tornados and nuclear blasts knock buildings down.

yeah my primary school was built 1959 and had a bomb shelter under the library. in 1987 (not a typo) they taught us to always look for the yellow fallout shelter signs when out in town so you're always aware of the closest ones

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was worried Somebody was talking poo poo about this food of the gods

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh. Those are also bad, but are basically ambrosia compared to Circus Peanuts.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Sponge Baathist posted:

I was worried Somebody was talking poo poo about this food of the gods

SAME. These are great. The hard weird peanut things are not.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Solice Kirsk posted:

Peanut Butter Kisses, just a terrible candy.

I love salt water taffy, but peanut butter kisses are an insult to that noble concoction.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh, earwax candy, yeah.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

My maternal grandmother always had these and those Brach's butterscotch candies in her purse when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure both were at least a decade old as well. I was never sure why she had them since no one liked them, but then since she also loved those godawful Circus Peanuts, I think her sense of taste was shot.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

My maternal grandmother always had these and those Brach's butterscotch candies in her purse when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure both were at least a decade old as well. I was never sure why she had them since no one liked them, but then since she also loved those godawful Circus Peanuts, I think her sense of taste was shot.

Brach's are delicious, you heathen. I bet you also hate those strawberry-flavored gooey center candies that old white dudes always have in their house.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah my primary school was built 1959 and had a bomb shelter under the library. in 1987 (not a typo) they taught us to always look for the yellow fallout shelter signs when out in town so you're always aware of the closest ones

Bert the Turtle teaches us about ducking and covering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

My dad came of age during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Someone, somewhere on some TV news hypothesized the range of Cuba's nukes on a map. The nuke range extended just into southern Georgia. They lived just into southern Georgia. He noticed that. They did have duck and cover drills at school.

For more unsettling, here is the "Daisy" ad from the 1964 Presidential race. It was considered so disturbing it only aired once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I work with the elderly and can confirm their taste goes to poo poo. The lady I take care of has put some insane stuff together like blackberry jam on a sandwich with pickles.

Man that's awful in itself :(

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
As a kid my favorite candies were circus peanuts and pink Canada mints. Good poo poo. I had a lot of problems.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

jobson groeth posted:

They're not scared of me and my candy. They should be though.

This joke is worth being fired and rehired by Disney for.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Solice Kirsk posted:

last time you told this story you were eating it out of the top of a CD spindle with a pair of scissors and i think the thread consensus was that it'd probably give you cancer

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

last time you told this story you were eating it out of the top of a CD spindle with a pair of scissors and i think the thread consensus was that it'd probably give you cancer

That was cereal. Cereal out of a CD spindle. Chef Boyardee with scissors.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, since some were skeptical, that tumblr post is real. This is what the url used to be, I'll see if it's on the wayback archive or cached.

edit: Yup, it's still on the Google cache. SA really does not like the Google cache link but here is the full url (just copy/paste it): http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://butchtj.tumblr.com/post/182832706986/butchtj-do-any-other-american-high-schoolers-have

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Apr 9, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

dovetaile posted:

Brach's are delicious, you heathen. I bet you also hate those strawberry-flavored gooey center candies that old white dudes always have in their house.

Not crazy about the strawberry gooey candy either. With that said, I've had family work at the Brach's factory from the day it opened to the day it closed. Our joke was you could always tell who worked there because they couldn't stand the smell of chocolate anymore whether they worked the floor or in the offices.

My favorite Brach's candies are the cinnamon gummies, the caramel Royals, the orange slices, the chocolate stars and the spice drops.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

You malingerers act as though Necco wafers don't exist. "I don't like the way this tastes" vs. "this challenges the definition of 'candy.'"

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

RNG posted:

I think Curtis Mayfield explains it pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1xmXOP3lhM

Good rear end album

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dovetaile posted:

Yes, but then again I'm not trying to get the taste of geriatric cock out of my mouth.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Jedit posted:

Yes, but then again I'm not trying to get the taste of geriatric cock out of my mouth.

well i mean if you just like that flavour mellowing in your mouth, you do you

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/hradzka/status/1115282390258073600

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ParserGirl posted:

My friends in NJ had never heard of them. A picture of one such drill made the rounds on Facebook, with the claim that it was students being forced into “Islam prayer!!1”

And people want me to stop joking about being dead

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Poor guy. Why on earth didn't they get a warrant for that backyard? :psyduck:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Jesus Christ. I can’t even imagine how living with that knowledge for 21 years must have felt.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Now that's a movie

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sarcopenia posted:

Effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sarcopenia posted:

Because the police dont actually care about solving crimes?