Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Can we just get a mod challenge or toxx or something that www[...]w has to setup something and show proof before posting more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Can we just get a mod challenge or toxx or something that www[...]w has to setup something and show proof before posting more?

Please, for the love of God.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Internet Explorer posted:

3rded. I was wondering what the deal was with 300 unread posts in the 10 post a day packrat thread, and oh man, toxx this man.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

I am in favour of a demonstration our advice has been appreciably taken.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Poster: Hey guys, I got this car that I need to tow this giant trailer.
Goons: Get a truck!
Poster: No, I don't know anything about trucks. I want to use a car.
Goons: No you really need a truck, you can even put you car in the back of the truck so you still have it!
Poster: Hey guys, I found a guy that will put a tow bar on my car so I can pull the trailer.
Goons: :aaaaa:

:iiaca:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Asking for advice has no requirements to take the advice. He can do as he pleases. Anyway I'm starting to think a 3 bay nas would have been enough and that 5 bays was excessive. 8 terabytes is kind of a lot even with 100+ episode series.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 4, 2019

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Time is money. Setting up and managing a Synology unit is a snap. FreeNAS can be a loving nightmare.

Anything I should look out for on FreeNAS? What usually goes wrong and how do I mitigate it?

I just made my first freeNAS build with an 8x Z2 configuration, and I'm kinda worried because I used to just use Linux running Samba, so whenever something happened (usually trying out a new OS or rearrange hardware) I just make a new build and mount the drive, feel like I can't screw up a ZFS pool because I have no idea how to reimport one :(

The IXsystems forums also seem suuuuper uppity when newbies ask questions.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Duck and Cover posted:

Asking for advice has no requirements to take the advice. He can do as he pleases. Anyway I'm starting to think a 3 bay nas would have been enough and that 5 bays was excessive. 8 terabytes is kind of a lot even with 100+ episode series.

Get 1080p bluray rips and you can eat 1.5-2 gb per episode for things like House or Star Trek, even using h265. The space goes by super quick.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

nescience posted:

Anything I should look out for on FreeNAS? What usually goes wrong and how do I mitigate it?

I just made my first freeNAS build with an 8x Z2 configuration, and I'm kinda worried because I used to just use Linux running Samba, so whenever something happened (usually trying out a new OS or rearrange hardware) I just make a new build and mount the drive, feel like I can't screw up a ZFS pool because I have no idea how to reimport one :(

Zpool import PoolName. Thats it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Get 1080p bluray rips and you can eat 1.5-2 gb per episode for things like House or Star Trek, even using h265. The space goes by super quick.

Yeah I've got files bigger then those too. One hard drive for backup one at like 50% right now, and another in need of shucking. I figure I'll start having trouble figuring out what I want before the second hard drive runs out of space. Estimates may be wrong though and their is a reason I went 5 bay.

Like I have standards can't risk letting Lost infect my other files!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 4, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

nescience posted:

I've been running a build with 8 drives in RAIDZ2 for almost a year and a half, and it just ticks along, sending me zfs scrub results every couple weeks to assure me that all is well. If you built it understanding the limitations of RAID, and you used appropriate hardware, it can be very low effort and trouble-free. Questions usually seem to be people wanting to do a lot more with it, especially people running VMs on FreeNAS, people who didn't do their homework and can't believe they can't easily turn their four-disk RAID-Z array into a six disk RAID-Z2 array, or people who are doing complicated builds without understanding them and who don't understand why their cargo cult rituals have failed them.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm still operating on 2 bay with a spare unraid server that I only use occasionally.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

H110Hawk posted:

MODS PLEASE

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

Asking for advice has no requirements to take the advice. He can do as he pleases.

We have a term for what has happened here: Goon in a well.

He does not have to take any advice we give him, they are not commands. However, returning and asking for new advice in place of research and experimentation is not the same as the point you make, howsoever valid it may be.

Actually, as I'm hyper aware that I don't want to fall into that trap myself, I'll update you on Unraid. I'm impressed with the stability and the ease and I'm sticking with it. I've had 2wk+ up times with no desire to intervene. When I do want to spin up a VM it's easy. Any features I want I can foresee coming or being something I can add. I'm going to continue trialing because kids are expensive, but it's winning me over with the low/no CJing. Thank you thread, I listened, acted and although I had reservations, I've learned a lot and now like it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SpaceInvaderOne has a bunch of great video tutorials on youtube for various Unraid dockers and plugins, they have been a great resource.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I was asking about /media specifically, but I didn't end up needing it, I just set up the mount points on the docker image to match the old ones.

However, the CIFS mount interface in the gui starts a new connection for each drive you mount... :nallears:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I was asking about /media specifically, but I didn't end up needing it, I just set up the mount points on the docker image to match the old ones.

However, the CIFS mount interface in the gui starts a new connection for each drive you mount...

Ah. I saw your post pre-edit. A symlink may do everything you need once you have the mounts setup if you want to do it differently in the future.

Don't worry about the connections, they are nearly free and depending on how terrible cifs connections are in samba may actually perform better if your i/o is spread around.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks, that's good info.

Totally surprised by how easy it was to move my Docker stuff over to the DS418play. It doesn't even "officially" support Docker, but that just means you can't find it in the package manager – you can still install it manually. Straightforward GUI, everything works. Can't believe I hosed around CJ'ing a Raspberry Pi for that long.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Looking for a sanity check for potential upgrades down the road when my NAS fills up. I currently have a 4year old 2 bay synology unit, and am using it to mirror backup data from my PC. However it will probably be full by the end of the year, so I am looking to expand or replace it.

One option is getting a DS418, popping in the 2 drives from my NAS and a spare 6TB drive, buying a fourth drive, and using raid 5. However then it will already have all slots full, and I won't have too much more capacity than I do now. (Currently 14TB with no RAID, with 8 + 3x6TB or 2x8TB + 2x6TB I'll only have 18).

Alternatively I could get a DS1019, which costs 1.7x as much as the DS418, however the extra slot means the capacity of a fifth drive can be fully added to the array size even with RAID 5, and it supports daisy chaining to an external 5 drive enclosure for future expansion. Or I could sink the 0.7x cost into a second DS418 - then drives would cost more though due to the lost capacity for RAID 5

Besides the extra cost for the DS1019, what I do not like is that it uses more power. Can I configure the units to only power on when my main PC is on and to power off automatically at a certain time? Right now it is just storing RAWs so I only need access to it when working on photos.

Also, are there any other options I should be considering?

Ika fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 7, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ika posted:

Looking for a sanity check for potential upgrades down the road when my NAS fills up. I currently have a 4year old 2 bay synology unit, and am using it to mirror backup data from my PC. However it will probably be full by the end of the year, so I am looking to expand or replace it.

One option is getting a DS418, popping in the 2 drives from my NAS and a spare 6TB drive, buying a fourth drive, and using raid 5. However then it will already have all slots full, and I won't have too much more capacity than I do now. (Currently 14TB with no RAID, with 8 + 3x6TB or 2x8TB + 2x6TB I'll only have 18).

Alternatively I could get a DS1019, which costs 1.7x as much as the DS418, however the extra slot means the capacity of a fifth drive can be fully added to the array size even with RAID 5, and it supports daisy chaining to an external 5 drive enclosure for future expansion. Or I could sink the 0.7x cost into a second DS418 - then drives would cost more though due to the lost capacity for RAID 5

Besides the extra cost for the DS1019, what I do not like is that it uses more power. Can I configure the units to only power on when my main PC is on and to power off automatically at a certain time? Right now it is just storing RAWs so I only need access to it when working on photos.

Also, are there any other options I should be considering?

Yes the units can sleep if you aren't accessing it. That should put your average power draw really low. Your current unit can likely do this as well. Also max power draw and actual are very different on modern computers. If you aren't using it for video rendering or taxing the cpu it won't draw much if any more than your current one, possibly less. Remember to subtract out the power of your disks from that as you cannot avoid it. Having read nothing you're likely looking at a spread of a few kwh/month tops.

If you aren't using raid now why use it when you expand? That's what is making this "so expensive" compared to your current hopes and dreams drives. How are you backing up these raws? Are you running a business off this? Personal memories?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

H110Hawk posted:

Yes the units can sleep if you aren't accessing it. That should put your average power draw really low. Your current unit can likely do this as well. Also max power draw and actual are very different on modern computers. If you aren't using it for video rendering or taxing the cpu it won't draw much if any more than your current one, possibly less. Remember to subtract out the power of your disks from that as you cannot avoid it. Having read nothing you're likely looking at a spread of a few kwh/month tops.
I used this comparison which shows the DS1019 using twice as much, and the 6 bay unit using even more. 13/25watts idle is a KW every 4/2 days, and energy isn't that cheap where I live. I will see about configuring my existing NAS to sleep as a test.

H110Hawk posted:

If you aren't using raid now why use it when you expand? That's what is making this "so expensive" compared to your current hopes and dreams drives. How are you backing up these raws? Are you running a business off this? Personal memories?
I'm fine with the 400 euros for the DS418, I'm just surprised going from 4 drives to 5 increases that to 700 euros. Ignoring the drives I already own, 400 euros for the unit + 4 x 8tb @ 200 each would be 1200 for 24GB of storage, or 700 euros + 5 x 8TB works out to be 1700 for 32 gigs of storage. My complaint isn't really the price itself, just the nonlinear increase from 4 to 5 to 6 drive solutions.

Right now I have a 12TB drive in my PC with my local LR catalog + RAW DB, and it is backed up to the NAS, plus 2 8TB offsite backup drives which are updated on alternating weekends. Medium term I want to migrate it to NAS with RAID protection for local storage, and offsite backup with 3-4 x 8TB drives.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 7, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ika posted:

I used this comparison which shows the DS1019 using twice as much, and the 6 bay unit using even more. 13/25watts idle is a KW every 4/2 days, and energy isn't that cheap where I live. I will see about configuring my existing NAS to sleep as a test.

I'm fine with the 400 euros for the DS418, I'm just surprised going from 4 drives to 5 increases that to 700 euros. Ignoring the drives I already own, 400 euros for the unit + 4 x 8tb @ 200 each would be 1200 for 24GB of storage, or 700 euros + 5 x 8TB works out to be 1700 for 32 gigs of storage. My complaint isn't really the price itself, just the nonlinear increase from 4 to 5 to 6 drive solutions.

Right now I have a 12TB drive in my PC with my local LR catalog + RAW DB, and it is backed up to the NAS, plus 2 8TB offsite backup drives which are updated on alternating weekends. Medium term I want to migrate it to NAS with RAID protection for local storage, and offsite backup with 3-4 x 8TB drives.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Electricity_price_statistics posted:

Household electricity prices in the EU highest in Denmark (EUR 0.31 per kWh) and lowest in Bulgaria (EUR 0.10 per kWh) during the first half of 2018.

My marginal rate for power is around that 0.31€. (Top tier is something like 0.36$) That is ~5€/month at 25 marginal standby watts. You want more utility, it comes at that cost. I would buy the largest chassis you can afford, switch to SHR, and opportunistically expand the disks as you find sales. I believe the cost per slot goes a little more linear back at 8/$1000. Not sure how euro pricing affects that. You can power the unit completely off if you are that cost conscious, but if so you might consider home brewing unraid.

eames
May 9, 2009

There is a way to wake any WOL device like a Synology on network access. It was mentioned in the depths of a comment thread on some hardware site. You basically set up a Raspberry Pi and the DS to share one virtual IP via keepalived, the DS goes to sleep and the rPI wakes the DS whenever there is any network access to certain ports of the shared virtual IP. Priorities are set up so that only the DS responds to the virtual IP when it is awake. This process is seamless, the client will only notice a few seconds delay on the first request while the NAS wakes up and drives spin up.

I thought that was a neat solution because power is also very expensive where I live, but maintaining an extra rPi and setting up all the custom scripts/services didn’t seem worth it.

In general cloud storage is now cheaper than the electricity cost of running a NAS 24/7 where I live, unless you need a large amount of storage (many TB).

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

eames posted:

There is a way to wake any WOL device like a Synology on network access. It was mentioned in the depths of a comment thread on some hardware site. You basically set up a Raspberry Pi and the DS to share one virtual IP via keepalived, the DS goes to sleep and the rPI wakes the DS whenever there is any network access to certain ports of the shared virtual IP. Priorities are set up so that only the DS responds to the virtual IP when it is awake. This process is seamless, the client will only notice a few seconds delay on the first request while the NAS wakes up and drives spin up.

I thought that was a neat solution because power is also very expensive where I live, but maintaining an extra rPi and setting up all the custom scripts/services didn’t seem worth it.

That does sound quite nice, but also very complicated to set up.

Another question: are the 10TB WB mybooks worth shucking, or should I go with the 8TB ones? 10TB is on sale on amazon UK, 8TB on amazon DE for similar price per GB.

E: Found a post of reddit saying they are using the helium drives, but that was a year ago. Cross your fingers !

Ika fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 8, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The one thing to note about putting disks into standby when you're not using them is that some disks have low load-unload cycle counts which means they cannot tolerate very much wear and tear from parking and unparking the heads (which is what you do when you put them into standby mode).
Most good specs lists will mention it, and if the review doesn't even mention it it's probably best to buy a different drive. All the drives that keep getting recommended in this thread have plenty of LCCs though.

H110Hawk posted:

My marginal rate for power is around that 0.31€. (Top tier is something like 0.36$) That is ~5€/month at 25 marginal standby watts. You want more utility, it comes at that cost. I would buy the largest chassis you can afford, switch to SHR, and opportunistically expand the disks as you find sales. I believe the cost per slot goes a little more linear back at 8/$1000. Not sure how euro pricing affects that. You can power the unit completely off if you are that cost conscious, but if so you might consider home brewing unraid.
:denmark::hf::denmark:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Up until now I have only bought drives with 5 years warrenty (Mainly WD RED pro), however the 10TB drive for 180 is very tempting when the 12TB drive with 5 years warrenty is 380+

I can always use it for offsite backup if it doesn't have sufficient load-unload cycles.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

For those wondering how I "solved" my noisy disk carrier problem.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

eames posted:

In general cloud storage is now cheaper than the electricity cost of running a NAS 24/7 where I live, unless you need a large amount of storage (many TB).
As far as I can tell the synology units do this on their own, without the RPI or anything, just by turning on the hibernation power saving feature. I have a DS216j in a guest room, which I prefer to leave in this mode so it doesn't make any noise. When I turn on the Apple TV and go to Infuse, the 216j wakes itself up.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

As far as I can tell the synology units do this on their own, without the RPI or anything, just by turning on the hibernation power saving feature. I have a DS216j in a guest room, which I prefer to leave in this mode so it doesn't make any noise. When I turn on the Apple TV and go to Infuse, the 216j wakes itself up.

Only hibernate option I can find on mine is drive hibernate, but its a 214.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ika posted:

Only hibernate option I can find on mine is drive hibernate, but its a 214.
I think that's the option I mean. It seems to sleep the whole device as well.

Hey what are you guys using to organize your network equipment and cables? Right now I have 2 NASes, cable modem, router, etc all sitting out on the floor, so I'm thinking I need to get a shelf or something for that stuff with cable routing that won't jeopardize thermals.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I have one of these ikea laundry? bathroom? shelves in the corner of my living room, level one at the bottom chargers + modem + switch, next level NAS, then normal living room stuff + phone base station.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 8, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hey what are you guys using to organize your network equipment and cables? Right now I have 2 NASes, cable modem, router, etc all sitting out on the floor, so I'm thinking I need to get a shelf or something for that stuff with cable routing that won't jeopardize thermals.

I used Ikea cupboard organizers for a while to do something similar. They look like small metal tables and are designed to go on cupboard shelves to make another tier to use. Those inside an unused media centre cabinet worked great.

Currently it's on a Rubbermaid shelf in a closet that came with the condo.

You could also use something like these wire cube organizers or a small shelving unit, with some velcro straps for cabling.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Ika posted:

Another question: are the 10TB WB mybooks worth shucking, or should I go with the 8TB ones? 10TB is on sale on amazon UK, 8TB on amazon DE for similar price per GB.

E: Found a post of reddit saying they are using the helium drives, but that was a year ago. Cross your fingers !

Please keep me posted, I’m currently deciding between these two options myself.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Nam Taf posted:

Please keep me posted, I’m currently deciding between these two options myself.

I'll post an update when I know, but ETA on delivery is 3-4 weeks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sincx posted:

Yeah they were consumer drives coming right up on the 5 year mark.

Anyways I bought 4 new 4TB Seagate Barracudas which I'll use as replacements. What's the best way to get the files transferred? Copy everything to an external drive, create a new array, and copy everything back? Or swap drives one at a time and wait for the array to rebuild itself each time?

The second option is definitely easier, but seems riskier.

Also, if I want these news drives to last longer, should I not have the NAS record surveillance footage to the array? (I can use an external drive instead).

Synology SHR? Just swap em one at a time, letting it rebuild completely between swaps.

Assuming you aren't going to be hammering them @ 100% you're not going to appreciably shorten the life on your disks by having a couple low bitrate surveillance streams going 24/7.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

I've currently got a Chenbro 48 drive 4ru case and it's using a lot of power for a system with only 16 disks in it.

What alternatives are there that can do 24-48 drives that I can use commodity parts in (ie ATX psu, 120mm fans etc). Low power and low noise would be the focus.

A Supermicro with a SQ PSU would be the 2nd best option but I'd prefer standard off the shelf parts if possible so I can replace if something fails without a hassle.

System is 2 x 2680v2 in an Intel board, 128gb DDR3 ECC, 280gb Optane PCIE + LSI HBA running virtualised Napp-It with a passthrough HBA. 16 x 3tb drives (Toshiba DTAwhatevers)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Beaucoup Haram posted:

I've currently got a Chenbro 48 drive 4ru case and it's using a lot of power for a system with only 16 disks in it.

What alternatives are there that can do 24-48 drives that I can use commodity parts in (ie ATX psu, 120mm fans etc). Low power and low noise would be the focus.

A Supermicro with a SQ PSU would be the 2nd best option but I'd prefer standard off the shelf parts if possible so I can replace if something fails without a hassle.

System is 2 x 2680v2 in an Intel board, 128gb DDR3 ECC, 280gb Optane PCIE + LSI HBA running virtualised Napp-It with a passthrough HBA. 16 x 3tb drives (Toshiba DTAwhatevers)

Throw away its current motherboard and just install a microatx board inside it with one pcie slot for your hba.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Throw away its current motherboard and just install a microatx board inside it with one pcie slot for your hba.

Won't solve the noise problems (mostly coming from the proprietary PSU's with their screaming 40mm fans) and will mean I can't run 10+ simultaneous plex streams for people so that won't really help me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

That’s very interesting. My old 1515+ didn’t wake up on normal network access. I wonder if Synology added that feature or if your client sends a special WOL packet by default. Does it also wake up when you browse to its webinterface while it is hibernating?