Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1115421589112119296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nasgate posted:

Bought Diablo. Is necromancer just overpowered? I had to immediately jump the difficulty because it's way too easy.

The starting difficulties are all too easy and you need to beat the game before you can play the game and have real fun if you're looking for a challenge

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My experience with Diablo is that I’m either steamrolling everything or I’m immediately dead. Nothing in between.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I knew Redbox was experimenting with Switch games but just noticed NSMBUD was available at basically every box near me -- and zero of the other Switch games they offer. Had a free code so tried it out today and the to me the art looks a lot better in motion than the overly clean, lifeless style it appeared to be in screenshots. Gameplay's fun but god do they need to get rid of lives once and for all and just zap you back to the last checkpoint. Cleared the first two worlds and kinda hit a brick wall at either of the options for the next one, ice or water worlds.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Nasgate posted:

Bought Diablo. Is necromancer just overpowered? I had to immediately jump the difficulty because it's way too easy.

The real game isn't story mode, story mode is more of a tutorial. The real game starts once you've reached level 70 and start the endless grind to the highest GR (stands for greater rift, basically a rogue like dungeon instance).

But if you find it enjoyable to just whack things and watch them die, it really doesn't matter what difficulty you play on.

Oh and don't play in public games because there are so many hackers that they can jump in and permanently boost your stats way beyond reasonably possible and ruin your entire save file.

Basically you paid 60 bucks for half a game. D3 is the biggest rip off on switch

Edit: I paid also

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My experience with Diablo is that I’m either steamrolling everything or I’m immediately dead. Nothing in between.
yeah, same

it goes from "literally just press buttons at random and watch demons explode into loot" to "haha you clicked on the wrong pixel motherfucker, game over". that said the game owns and is perfect for the Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I knew Redbox was experimenting with Switch games but just noticed NSMBUD was available at basically every box near me -- and zero of the other Switch games they offer. Had a free code so tried it out today and the to me the art looks a lot better in motion than the overly clean, lifeless style it appeared to be in screenshots. Gameplay's fun but god do they need to get rid of lives once and for all and just zap you back to the last checkpoint. Cleared the first two worlds and kinda hit a brick wall at either of the options for the next one, ice or water worlds.

How does that work? What kind of case do the games come in?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Guilty posted:

The real game isn't story mode, story mode is more of a tutorial. The real game starts once you've reached level 70 and start the endless grind to the highest GR (stands for greater rift, basically a rogue like dungeon instance).

But if you find it enjoyable to just whack things and watch them die, it really doesn't matter what difficulty you play on.

Oh and don't play in public games because there are so many hackers that they can jump in and permanently boost your stats way beyond reasonably possible and ruin your entire save file.

Basically you paid 60 bucks for half a game. D3 is the biggest rip off on switch

Edit: I paid also

Again, who the gently caress cares about leaderboards and playing online with pubbies.

Counterpoint: have actual friends and/or family to play couch co-op with and enjoy literally thousands of hours of fun.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

2 Maximus 1 Cup

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Your Computer posted:

yeah, same

it goes from "literally just press buttons at random and watch demons explode into loot" to "haha you clicked on the wrong pixel motherfucker, game over". that said the game owns and is perfect for the Switch.

The best part is when both of these are happening simultaneously.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
A lot of people rave about how perfect Diablo 3 is for the switch, so there are quite a few people who love it.

I never bought it for the switch (I’ve already bought it for PC and PS4) but if they put it on sale for $20-$25 I’d buy it a 3rd goddamn time because it’s great, especially with a gamepad, and I’d imagine the general presentation of the game (how big stuff is on the screen, color palette, etc) is perfect for the size and portability of the display.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 9, 2019

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

How does that work? What kind of case do the games come in?
Same as a DVD/game case, just a little plastic bit in the middle that secures the Switch cart instead of the spindle for a disc to fit on.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nasgate posted:

Diablo is kind of meant to be played on bumped up difficulty as soon as possible, the game says you can do this but doesn't really say YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY DO THIS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't even know there was Celeste dlc

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wait what?!!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/mattthorson/status/1083920264461570048?s=21

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's also a clip

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1098421139099942913

and some new music

https://twitter.com/celeste_game/status/1088931602841985026

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This time she defeats her inner demons...in spaaaaace

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
All that said re: Diablo difficulty settings, the Necro was added after the other classes and it definitely shows when leveling.

Corpse explosion especially can mulch things way faster than the other classes can pull off

It evens out significantly at level 70, which is really where the bulk of the game happens

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Squinky v2.0 posted:

All that said re: Diablo difficulty settings, the Necro was added after the other classes and it definitely shows when leveling.

Corpse explosion especially can mulch things way faster than the other classes can pull off

It evens out significantly at level 70, which is really where the bulk of the game happens
who needs more than one button anyway

(warning: loud)
https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/1061611568826265600

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know Yoshi’s Crafted World isn’t very difficult to beat (although some of the I Spy poo poo in the levels can be frustrating) but goddamn the boss challenges seem nuts. Beat the end boss without getting hit once? :stare:

The end boss owns, btw. The last set of levels before the end boss are also good. I haven’t played the bonus world yet but I assume it’s also good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol the korok leaf is the only thing keeping me alive in Zelda right now. Well that, acorns, and healing some on death every time (I hate that though).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Polo-Rican posted:

Gungeon gets more fun the more you play it. Once you start to unlock other characters and buy a ton of new guns, it's 100% more fun than it is when you first start.

Inzombiac posted:

Be like me and turn the aim assist all the way up. Now you don't have to (but still can) aim.

You'll always target the enemy closest to you but that's fine.

PantsBandit posted:

Gungeon's biggest draw is it has an absurd amount of content. Guns, passives, active items, etc. And then on top of that they have this whole synergy system where combos of items become even bigger, better items. There are a ton of bullets to dodge, yeah, but I am not good at bullet-hell games at all and I've beaten Gungeon multiple times. Mostly you just need to get the muscle memory down and you'll start burning through floors without much trouble.

I'd also recommend looking up some basic strategy as well. There are some things (selling health to the vampire merchant for example) that are extremely strong but may seem counter-intuitive at first glance.

Chin Strap posted:

It is a twin stick shooter Roguelike. Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, and Nuclear Throne are probably the three best of the genre with varying emphasis on speed and bullet hell abilities. Gungeon is by far the slowest and most bullet hell of them, and also has the most different unlocks to go after.

I wouldn't call it "similar to Rogue Legacy" though. That would be Dead Cells, which does everything Rogue Legacy did but way better.

Appreciate the advice! I'll give it another go. I can certainly see the charm is there and that it's a good game, just hasn't clicked for me yet.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lmao the first bonus level in Yoshi’s Crafted World is a series of rollers over a death pit and if you fall you have to start the whole level over and lose everything you picked up :laugh: finally a real challenge.

Edit: I would love it if they patched in a hard mode where you can’t equip costumes and falling in a pit is instant death. Then it might feel like a real platformer.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 9, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for all the comments on Diablo. I'm sitting on the third difficulty and may bump it up again. I feel like it kind of unbalaces it though because I'm gaining levels really quick.

It's on sale at GameStop, 20$ off new.
I think once I hit 70 I'll corral my roommate into playing some couch co-op so I can be extremely reckless as a barbarian or something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Nasgate posted:

He scales fast at 70 to T4-T6 but after that they're all pretty even

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:
I liked Diablo but their definitely is no difficulty prior to end game stuff other than remembering to not stand in the lava/poison/whatever. It was a great game to turn off the brain and enjoy loot drops and exploding enemies.

Starlink is actually scratching the same itch for me right now. Which I wasn't expecting when I got it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool Celeste DLC... I was going through the extra stuff aidless. Pretty sure I beat the B-sides but I stalled out on the Hotel C-side. I feel like I should try it again but I've lost all my skills and would have to re-train myself. I should probably just use some Aid but I feel like that was more useful in story mode and that the extra levels are there to be done hard.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ineffiable posted:

I'm still mad that dragon's dogma doesn't have 'flying into free' as a song anymore. I loved hearing that on the menu every time.

was literally listening to this song when I read this, it's a good song

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
For anyone still fencesitting. BestBuy is offering 50% off your pick of one of these games (and some others) when you buy a Switch:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Have you played since the major update they released around a year ago? It added a mode that increases move speed, it makes runs a lot faster. It's all I use now.
Turbo mode? I never found the guy needed to unlock it :negative:. The pacing of the game is the worst thing about it so I was looking forward to trying turbo out, but then had to keep playing to unlock it and it just finally killed the game for me when I couldn’t find him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Okay, BotW actually owns. Everything everyone uses is broken poo poo that kills Links or goblins in two hits and explodes, I'm roasting mushrooms and acorns by just dropping them in fire, I'm sneaking through woods, cutting down trees for cover and mobility, this is some Wildman poo poo. I love it!

Also I started a forest fire when the wind picked up and one of my roasted acorns caught fire and landed in some dry grass. Oops.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Okay, BotW actually owns.

:wisdom:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also the hero of time jumped off a cliff and died because I pressed sprint and not grab then got one shot by another goblin and now I have a RIP marking my shame

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

First thing I did when I got the glider was jump off a cliff and press the wrong button to glide because I wasn't paying attention

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'll never forget my first lightning strike death in BOTW as an all time WTF moment in video gaming for me.

"Hmmmm, why is there sparks and electricity coming from my sword and shieEEEEEE OHHHHH MYY GODDDD WHAAAAAAAAAT THE gently caress."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Made it to the final level of Into the Breach with the Flame Behemoths last night and lost because a power pylon I couldn't see got blown up :negative:

I'm loving this game a lot. The aesthetic is awesome, and I love how much potential there is to experiment with play-styles.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Lmao the first bonus level in Yoshi’s Crafted World is a series of rollers over a death pit and if you fall you have to start the whole level over and lose everything you picked up :laugh: finally a real challenge.

Edit: I would love it if they patched in a hard mode where you can’t equip costumes and falling in a pit is instant death. Then it might feel like a real platformer.

Just don't put on a costume and then intentionally get hit until you have one heart and then pits will be instant death

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mahoning posted:

I'll never forget my first lightning strike death in BOTW as an all time WTF moment in video gaming for me.

"Hmmmm, why is there sparks and electricity coming from my sword and shieEEEEEE OHHHHH MYY GODDDD WHAAAAAAAAAT THE gently caress."

The first time that happened to me I was in the middle of hyrule field, and I thought it was a scripted puzzle. I got to shelter by running from tree to tree as they exploded behind me, it was amazing

The next time it happened I was on top of a big hill with no trees in sight. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

John Lee posted:

was literally listening to this song when I read this, it's a good song

I used to see if I could load in before the buttrock kicked in