Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

:ohno:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
He's been going for a while

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1115399411113254912
https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1115406066659934208
https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1115381123318599680

:chloe:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How long did this guy work on Sonic comics again?:lol:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/Eukaryot3K/status/1114536007058296832

This is a 16:9 Sonic 3k conversion. It requires the steam version to work properly.

I gave this a try, very cool. Automatically recognized my controller and has tons of little QOL options.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

How long did this guy work on Sonic comics again?:lol:

for like a decade, isnt it?

Goddamn this is terrible, and of course now Geoffery is even worse than before because of this, jesus fuckin christ penders

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Move over, JK Rowling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

Knuckles' completely awesome cowboy hat,

Akubra, damnit! :australia: :australia: :australia:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

robot roll call posted:

I gave this a try, very cool. Automatically recognized my controller and has tons of little QOL options.

I really like the option to have the ring count in special stages go down if you want to go for perfects.

The individual music switches are cool, Sonic 3 all the way except S&K invincibility music. There's an option for Sonic 2 super theme as well.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Madtrixr posted:

for like a decade, isnt it?

Goddamn this is terrible, and of course now Geoffery is even worse than before because of this, jesus fuckin christ penders

He thinks he's being woke.

This image sums it up perfectly

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 9, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That Penders image on the left is completely illegible, I can literally see a few grey smudges and lines and nothing else.

[edit] Okay, it's a lot clearer when I stop using the pile of dogshit held together with tape and string that my workplace uses for their internet connection.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 9, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That Penders image on the left is completely illegible, I can literally see a few grey smudges and lines and nothing else.

[edit] Okay, it's a lot clearer when I stop using the pile of dogshit held together with tape and string that my workplace uses for their internet connection.

For whatever reason, the image was coming out small.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m gonna be honest, I have complicated feelings about this Geoffrey thing because on one hand, there’s the fact that my parents are separated by a number of years and started dating in my dad’s last year of high school... while on the other hand, I was groomed online by an older friend and manipulated and I’ve dealt with a severely skewed sense of priorities that persisted for years as a result.

But like, there’s too much going on here than just an age difference. The time frame when Sally and Geoffrey got involved? They barely knew each other, and St. John was constantly belittling and attacking her friends to the point Sally was angrily calling for him to stop. So not only is there all that and it’s appropriateness for an all ages comic, be just comes off as selfish and emotionally abusive.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Penders backfilled so much of himself into echidna culture that I'm very glad it's been jettisoned into the phantom zone forever.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sega should reintroduce a load of echidna characters, but they all told Knuckles he was to be the fated last guardian of their race as a prank and left him on the floating island while they all got on with life back on earth and all just wear tshirts and stuff.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I guess sexuality gets complicated when your species' penis looks more like a boat anchor.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sega should reintroduce a load of echidna characters, but they all told Knuckles he was to be the fated last guardian of their race as a prank and left him on the floating island while they all got on with life back on earth and all just wear tshirts and stuff.

We purposefully trained knuckles wrong, as a joke.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Zelder posted:

We purposefully trained knuckles wrong, as a joke.

I mean, Knuckles saying something like "I am bleeding, making ME the victor!" would not be terribly out of character

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1115674026628636673

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:eyepop: :aaa: :eyepop: :aaa: :eyepop: :aaa: :eyepop: :aaa: :eyepop: :aaa:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Kikas posted:

So close Sega, so close...

The hell is Amazon Fire TV? Sounds like a Diablo 2 spell.
Quoting mega old post because wtf is this spin? Biggest lie since blast processing. These games have been on Fire TV for years. Only "console" versions of Sonic 1&2 Taxman Edition ever released.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Hypocritical of Sonic to be so judgemental of speedrunners when his whole deal is going fast

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Interesting how that tweet uses Mania music. I guess someone at Legal doesn't want to risk Dreams Come True coming after them for using Sonic 1 (or 2) music.

Which basically means the whole Genesis trilogy is locked out of musical representation.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
that was funny

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh poo poo I hope the sonic twitter doesn't own me for using the level select code next

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh poo poo I hope the sonic twitter doesn't own me for using the level select code next

It's a copypasta that comes from the latest FromSoft/Sekiro discourse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I hate that Penders poo poo so much, it’s reprehensible gross and weird on so many levels. These are funny cartoon animals, they don’t even have to wear clothes, goddamn it. If they’re going to depict romance between any of them it should be like flowers and kisses and cartoon hearts, not sexy purple echidna kids, races to virginity “taking” and certainly you should never be loving thinking about age of consent laws. How impossibly screwed up would you have to be, especially as a professional creative on this IP for children, to do that.

Maybe I’m just too naive, since my exposure to the comic was like the first ten issues. My reaction to shipping, even stuff like sontails, was “oh that’s funny/weird/cute”, not imagining goddamn hedgehog dongs. The sexualization is just so bizzare.

Ugh, and someone pointed out Geoffrey was a Penders self-insert too.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 10, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I hate that Penders poo poo so much, it’s reprehensible gross and weird on so many levels. These are funny cartoon animals, they don’t even have to wear clothes, goddamn it. If they’re going to depict romance between any of them it should be like flowers and kisses and cartoon hearts, not sexy purple echidna kids, races to virginity “taking” and certainly you should never be loving thinking about age of consent laws. How impossibly screwed up would you have to be, especially as a professional creative on this IP for children, to do that.

Maybe I’m just too naive, since my exposure to the comic was like the first ten issues. My reaction to shipping, even stuff like sontails, was “oh that’s funny/weird/cute”, not imagining goddamn hedgehog dongs. The sexualization is just so bizzare.

Ugh, and someone pointed out Geoffrey was a Penders self-insert too.

I don't think Geoffrey was his self-insert, Knuckles almost assuredly was. This post really summed it up well.

quote:

So here’s my take on Penders’ comments about Sally and Geoffrey, because surely I haven’t wasted enough of my mortal lifespan thinking about that yet

A lot of people are framing this as Penders being some sort of sicko who gets off on the thought of his character taking Sally’s virginity, or Geoffrey being his self-insert, or that sort of thing. A horny thing. It’s an easy conclusion to jump to, but knowing what I know about the man and his writing habits, I don’t think this is the explanation

Conveniently, I have the perfect example to compare this to. The issue I covered on this blog yesterday, Knuckles #22, opened with a rephrased poem about the Holocaust (edited to be about Robotnik’s takeover), and made about as many blatant references to Nazi Germany as possible with the villains of the issue. This, obviously, is hosed up. It’s a bad fit for a Sonic comic, and comes off as offensively tone deaf and out of place. But to Penders, this makes the comic deeper, because it reflects hosed up things that have happened in real life

Yesterday, when told that the very thought of this plot point with Sally and Geoffrey was shocking and sickening, Penders started talking about age of consent laws, and how royal families have hosed up sex lives, and how underage girls have sex in real life. What’s the big deal about saying teenagers have sex? That just makes them more human and relatable. Denying that teenagers have sex would just make him ignorant!

See, that’s the thing. Penders isn’t getting off on this. He thinks it makes his writing deep and enhances the drama. He understands that writing is supposed to reflect the real world, but incorrectly thinks that a piece of writing reflecting real life automatically makes it okay. For all of his career, this has been his view on things. He writes shockingly dark or adult things about Sonic characters, thinking that makes his writing more poignant, thinking that he needs to address these things for the story to be “authentic,” and then fails to understand that these things being in a Sonic comic makes it loving weird

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/facts

Here's a collection of all this nonsense on a tumblr dedicated to looking at and covering the sonic archie nonsense.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I would find that more agreeable if it weren’t for all the eyefucking going on in that future warp series...but frankly even if it’s accurate (possible, I admit), in some ways that makes it even worse, somehow. But I really read it as post hoc rationalization based on some of the other stuff the blog gets into with Geoffrey.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 10, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I would find that more agreeable if it weren’t for all the eyefucking going on in that future warp series...but frankly even if it’s accurate (possible, I admit), in some ways that makes it even worse, somehow.

Oh, this is not a defense of Ken Penders. This is worse than you think, because again. It's not that the eye loving was because it was a sex thing, but because "Sonic is an impotent king who fucks up and his wife wants other men" is MATURE AND HE'S A MATURE WRITER drat IT

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Seeing Knuckles turned into a drooling moron in modern media is even better when I remember how much Penders latched onto him.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
How'd the Sonic comic manage to succeed for so long with such lovely art? Like, I can see kids being oblivious to the writing but whenever anyone posts pages from those old comics they tend to look bad as well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How'd the Sonic comic manage to succeed for so long with such lovely art? Like, I can see kids being oblivious to the writing but whenever anyone posts pages from those old comics they tend to look bad as well.

Because penders wasn't drawing it all the time. There were other artists that were, ya know, actually good. And there were some issues where the art was even worse than Penders, attributed to "MANY HANDS".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ken penders loved knuckles so much

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's my understanding that sega and archie were hands off as long as it made some kind of money, so it was allowed to spiral out into this huge fuckin pile of hellgarbage because at the end of the day it did fine, and yeah there were flashes of good art, Spaziante comes to mind.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

ken penders loved knuckles so much

that story was written by Dan Slott

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was Titan Tails Penders' idea?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Which means that Dan Slott is equally responsible for both the Spiderverse movie and Tails fusing with his alternate selves so he could butt chug a wooly mammoth.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was Titan Tails Penders' idea?
Yes, he's at least the credited writer.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chiming in to say that Sonic 3 AIR owns, playing the game in widescreen is like putting glasses on. Smooth rotations are also very nice to have, especially in the special stages which I’m now doing better in than I ever did in the originals. I was very surprised at the end of Angel Island Act 2 when I actually had to dodge the bombs that were being dropped instead of just holding right.
You can tell it’s ultimately still a mod of the original game though, as opposed to the full engine remake that Christian Whitehead’s work was. The collision detection in Mania and the 1/2/CD ports is noticeably better than in the originals, while in Sonic AIR I’m still getting hung up on the same pixels I always did.
I’m guessing that the reward for getting 7 achievements is the drop dash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!