Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Was there ever a major shift in how we perceive characters in Westerns who had fought for the Confederacy? I'm watching an oater from the 50s and a character was a confederate soldier. The fact that the film doesn't seem to hold that against him makes me think contemporaneous (to the movie) audiences didn't either.

The boring answer might be that our attitudes slowly evolved with the civil rights movement, but I'm wondering when movies started using that detail about a character to maybe make us think we don't like him (and what caused that change).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Was there ever a major shift in how we perceive characters in Westerns who had fought for the Confederacy? I'm watching an oater from the 50s and a character was a confederate soldier. The fact that the film doesn't seem to hold that against him makes me think contemporaneous (to the movie) audiences didn't either.

The boring answer might be that our attitudes slowly evolved with the civil rights movement, but I'm wondering when movies started using that detail about a character to maybe make us think we don't like him (and what caused that change).

I can't think of a movie that really did that? Maybe Wild Wild West?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm sure a bunch of these before the 60's were just about good ol heroic southern soldiers, with no mention of slavery.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_and_television_shows_about_the_American_Civil_War

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It definitely didn't change outright with the Civil Rights movement. The Outlaw Josey Wales came out in 1976 and has Eastwood's character be both the clear hero and a Confederate soldier.

Related fun fact about Buster Keaton's The General:

Wikipedia posted:

In early 1926, Keaton's collaborator Clyde Bruckman told him about William Pittenger's 1863 memoir The Great Locomotive Chase, about the 1862 Great Locomotive Chase. Keaton was a huge fan of train history and had read the book. Although it was written from the Union Army perspective, Keaton did not believe that the audience would accept Confederates as villains and changed the story's point of view.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Related fun fact about Buster Keaton's The General:
That's hilarious because a big part of my lack of love for The General is that the lead is a confederate.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The outlaw mythology of the west in the US highly derives from former confederates “outrunning” the expansion of federal law enforcement. It’s why Ben Shapiro now likes Jesse James. There’s a 50’s movie called “The Raid” about a civil war confederate raid on a small vermont town (they came through canada) the confederate spy befriends the wife and son of a dead union soldier and then at the end when they burn the town the movie plays him leaving with the kid sobbing “but I don’t want him to go!” As his mother holds him and weeps, “I know”. The confederates are basically terrorists and the movie still plays it like a heroic act and runs all the story beats as such.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Birth of a Nation was merely reflecting attitudes of the day

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

A good article in the Jacobin about the portrayal of the Civil War in Hollywood.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/08/civil-war-cinema-confederacy-keaton-lost-cause

Basically, up until the 21st century, the Lost Cause narrative was strong in cinema.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Modern superhero and supersoldier films are basically the same fascist poo poo too, so it never stopped, just the costumes changed

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
How well does the '67 Producers hold up? I've always wanted to watch it, growing up was always a big Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles fan, etc. YF still holds up, anyway.

Then there's... a Matthew Broderick remake from 2005? What value is there in watching that one?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

XboxPants posted:

How well does the '67 Producers hold up? I've always wanted to watch it, growing up was always a big Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles fan, etc. YF still holds up, anyway.

Then there's... a Matthew Broderick remake from 2005? What value is there in watching that one?

The 1967 version is a classic. The 2005 remake is a musical.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why hasn’t Tarentino released the “Whole Bloody Affair” cut of Kill Bill? It was on sale years ago for pre-order on amazon but I haven’t heard a peep since. If I remember right Kill Bill was originally just one big movie that got cut in two. Is it a rights issue?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's definitely not happening now, after that Uma driving footage got out.
He dosen't seem like a guy who cares to look back on his movies. He never does audio commentary (edit: for his own stuff). The time probably passed once Inglorious came along.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 9, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

XboxPants posted:

The Producers '67 is a masterpiece.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Confederates have always been cast better in movies. All the classic Civil War movies involve Rebels. I can think of only one that was told from the Union side (Glory).

It's an odd issue, but probably helped along by the romance of a Lost Cause™ and all those dashing Southern gentlemen. It works even better in the Old West because you've got a character whose out there because his home and way of life are gone rather than a regular old cowboy. They never seem to bring up the whole slavery thing though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Deadguy2322 posted:

The 1967 version is a classic. The 2005 remake is a musical.

They're both fun, and both have their own flaws. The neat thing was how the plot is changed a bit between them

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

XboxPants posted:

Counter opinion: both '67 and '05 Producers are bad. '67 suffers a lot from "being made in 1967" disease - there's an interminable scene where far-out trippy :coolfish: hep-cats have a dance that drags the movie to a screeching halt, and the pacing is rough regardless. Wilder and Mostel mostly save it, though.

The '05 Producers is a tragedy; it's a stage play shot like a play. Lots of wide shots with a locked-down camera. It does literally nothing with the format of "being a film," and that's terrible because it is a legit great stage play I cannot endorse enough.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Easy Diff posted:

Counter opinion: both '67 and '05 Producers are bad. '67 suffers a lot from "being made in 1967" disease - there's an interminable scene where far-out trippy :coolfish: hep-cats have a dance that drags the movie to a screeching halt, and the pacing is rough regardless. Wilder and Mostel mostly save it, though.

Come on, that scene is worth it just for Zero shouting "THAT'S OUR HITLER" while Dick Shawn munches on a flower.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Love Power is the perfect 60s song.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Love Power is the perfect 60s song.

It's the greatest 60's song tied with every musical number from Wild in the Streets and also the I Love You, Alice B. Toklas theme song.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Blind Azathoth posted:

"V sinem more, v beloy pene" - created in 1984 by the Soviet Armenian director Robert Sahakyants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmF_imBU9nE

Motherboard crapped out and I finally got it back from ASUS, only to find this tab was still in my chrome start.

Thank you.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Why hasn’t Tarentino released the “Whole Bloody Affair” cut of Kill Bill? It was on sale years ago for pre-order on amazon but I haven’t heard a peep since. If I remember right Kill Bill was originally just one big movie that got cut in two. Is it a rights issue?

Because he only wants The Whole Bloody Affair and the roadshow version of The Hateful Eight to be seen in theatres.

On an entirely unrelated side note, Quentin Tarantino owns the New Beverly theatre in beautiful Los Angeles, California.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched A Bridge too far tonight. It's good!

I liked The Longest Day too, are there any other three hour long military procedurals I should be aware of?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

I liked The Longest Day too, are there any other three hour long military procedurals I should be aware of?
The Big Red One
The Thin Red Line
Patton (kinda)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dr Zhivago
Lawrence of Arabia
Das Boot

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

Gettysburg. :v:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It will never not be funny to me that Das Boot and Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail have the exact same ending.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I don't remember anyone getting arrested at the end of Das Boot.

Gripweed posted:

Why settle for a mere three hours when you could watch The Human Condition?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't remember anyone getting arrested at the end of Das Boot.

Why settle for a mere three hours when you could watch The Human Condition?

because that movie sounds like a bummer

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

You could watch Band of Brothers in one sitting and call it a 10 hour long movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Judgement of Nuremberg is 3 hours.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

You could watch Band of Brothers in one sitting and call it a 10 hour long movie.

That sounds like a great way to spend a cold or rainy day.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Verhoeven's Soldier of Orange sits somewhere between 2½ - 3 hours.
Edit: Apparently the duration depends if you watch the movie or mini-series cut. Don't know if you can find a sub-titled version of the latter, let alone a digital version.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 16, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What's spirit gum? I saw it mentioned in another thread, in regards to J-Law's Mystique makeup, and I've seen it before, but does it just help prosthetics stay on?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_gum

The word 'merkins' just brightens my day.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 16, 2019

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

BoB is so drat good.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Twelve O'Clock High
The Dirty Dozen

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

Tora! Tora! Tora!
In addition to being hands-down my favorite war movie of all time, T³ is stealth-directed by Akira Kurosawa!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

BoB is so drat good.

If you watch it now it’s like a who-who’s of unknown British actors who would become popular a decade later.

Tom Hardy looks like pre-serum Steve Rogers he’s so young and tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you watch it now it’s like a who-who’s of unknown British actors who would become popular a decade later.

Tom Hardy looks like pre-serum Steve Rogers he’s so young and tiny.

Tom Hardy was in BoB???

Its actually sad how many careers didnt really pan out of BoB actors.