Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/1115439627060408320?s=19

UCLA really doing it's best to take the heat off USC for their football hires.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://twitter.com/TreyWallace_/status/1115438629722128385

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
How long until they call Pitino?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

As a Texas fan, it’s weird to me to see people want to KEEP Rick Barnes.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

As a Texas fan, it’s weird to me to see people want to KEEP Rick Barnes.

Hows getting rid of him working out?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

Still in the tournament and not talking to anyone until they're done.

I really like this about college basketball. In football there are all these coaches and coordinators that get new jobs before their bowl games and it's a bummer they don't get the continuity of their whole season.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Edit: lol

Asleep Style fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 9, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/1115439627060408320?s=19

UCLA really doing it's best to take the heat off USC for their football hires.

this is not quite UT Football Coaching Search 2018 but it's getting there.

edit: i'm half-expecting a story to come out that UCLA offered to back the truck up for Hoiberg and he turned them down

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
ahhhhh

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

God drat it gardner-webb you had one job.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
so i know we're focused on Lubbock burning but Charlottesville is a town full of people who drink heavily despite not having any notion of how to handle their liquor

i wish i was there 'cause i think i could marshal together enough shitfaced frat boys to topple the Confederate statues without them even knowing it

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
Huh, I won the Goon Bracket and I don't even post here.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

congrats dude

tony bennett talks like a midwestern david puddy

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Virginia has everyone back next year except Hunter and Jack Salt, and actual four-star recruits coming in, so they should be pretty good next year too.

Texas Tech will be good as long as Beard as there, whatever players he has, he's some sort of weird genius apparently.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Redjakk posted:

Huh, I won the Goon Bracket and I don't even post here.

My Throwin Darts bracket absolutely dominated the Throwing Darts bracket I noticed when I joined the group, so I am pleased with my performance.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

Virginia has everyone back next year except Hunter and Jack Salt, and actual four-star recruits coming in, so they should be pretty good next year too.

Texas Tech will be good as long as Beard as there, whatever players he has, he's some sort of weird genius apparently.

I would be pretty surprised if Jerome doesn't leave

DC Murderverse posted:

this is not quite UT Football Coaching Search 2018 but it's getting there.

edit: i'm half-expecting a story to come out that UCLA offered to back the truck up for Hoiberg and he turned them down

His name came up a lot right after they fired Alford. I actually would not be surprised if he preferred Nebraska, it's a way better fit for him and he has the family connection there.

At this point they should just wait out Luke Walton and see if he's forgiven them yet.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

MourningView posted:

I would be pretty surprised if Jerome doesn't leave

huh, shows how much attention I pay, I didn't even know he was on the first-round fringe discussion. yeah, if he can get that money obviously he should go.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
congratulations to new UCLA head coach Tom Thibodeau

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
UCLA is in a weird position where they have an extremely affluent athletics brand that the people who run the university wish they didn't have.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

UCLA should hire the legendary Curse Buster Chris Collins

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I’m so happy. Been through some poo poo and finally got a title I give a care about.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

We stole three games in a row. This is how you dream about winning a title as a kid. I’m so happy.

Fair play to Purdue, Auburn and TTU. All y’all played great.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so loving weird. we win now, apparently aside from like lacrosse and soccer

let's play vanderbilt two consecutive years in the college world series finals again, right? why the gently caress not. let's lose to a 17 seed and beat a 0 seed. let's lose to chaminade again. let's go hoos

or we could win a football game on thanksgiving fridayahahahahaa no i cant say it

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 9, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
So cool for a team to lose to a 16 then win the whole thing a year later.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Agreed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Joey Freshwater posted:

he’s doing better (now) in tennessee but before texas canned him he was treading water just like shaka is now; firing barnes was a popular and defensible position

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

elentar posted:

Tech's got 4 4*'s either coming in or that didn't play this season, provided Moore doesn't transfer away (he wasn't happy that he was shut down for the season coming back from a knee injury after getting 2 minutes in 1 game). Being part of a final 4 run might influence that. One of those 4 the first 4* on 2 of the services.

Would not be surprised to see Malik Ondigo be placed somewhere else. He was always a development prospect. He had one hell of a guy to learn behind in Owens, but if he didn't show enough in practices, Beard's not afraid to turn roster.

Tech will be back in the tournament, but it'll be with a bunch of young players as a dangerous 6ish seed. I don't think anyone is going to be a one-and-done type guy (McCullar, Moore, and Rhamsey all have the potential, but none are sure things), which makes the 2021 season the next one all the Tech fans will be looking for.

All dependent on Beard not bailing. I don't think he will, but you never know.

e: 6 4*'s in the last 2 classes. All in the same lengthy athlete mold, except the newest group of forwards are all outside threats aside from 7' Tchewa. And fully expect Beard to look for a grad transfer once Culver declares.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 9, 2019

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh you know...just hanging NIT banners. No big.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
News: Oh
Views: My God

I truly never thought I'd see UVA win a championship.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Congrats UVAers!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah the thing with Beard is that he is only just now starting to consistently recruit top 100 type guys. No one on their last two teams who actually played was a significant recruit. If they can somehow hang on to him and he can continue to develop like he has they could have a monster team in a year or two.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I still can't believe a guy blowing out his knee made one shining moment.

Yes it was one of the biggest moments of the tournament (especially since Auburn probably would have won with him?) but, like, the song seems like it shouldn't apply to devastating injuries.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I still can't believe a guy blowing out his knee made one shining moment.

Yes it was one of the biggest moments of the tournament (especially since Auburn probably would have won with him?) but, like, the song seems like it shouldn't apply to devastating injuries.

I guess it was to set up that Bruce Pearl line and them overcoming it to beat Kentucky?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/UCLAMBB/status/1115651244779925504?s=19

Cronin's teams are consistently good to very good in the regular season so I definitely don't think he's a bad coach, but he plays ultra slow and ugly basketball and has made it out of the first weekend once in his entire career. It's hard to see this going well.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 9, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I guess it was to set up that Bruce Pearl line and them overcoming it to beat Kentucky?

This might have been what they were doing but my brain kinda shut off after seeing the horrible injury again and I wasn't paying attention.

MourningView posted:

Cronin's teams are consistently good to very good in the regular season so I definitely don't think he's a bad coach, but he plays ultra slow and ugly basketball and has made it out of the first weekend once in his entire career. It's hard to see this going well.

My only thought was this is less of a disaster than they deserve after this search.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
At this point, I can only see Beard leaving Tech for UT, Duke, UNC or KU

Cronin is a drat good coach, but if UCLA didn’t want Randy Bennett because he coaches ugly defensive basketball, they’re in for a surprise

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This hire feels like Steve Alford part two. UCLA has fallen tremendously.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Still trying to wrap my head around Rick Barnes making more money than Bill Self, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, and Jay Wright.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

This hire feels like Steve Alford part two. UCLA has fallen tremendously.

It's not a super exciting hire but he is a way better coach than Alford

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

vikingstrike posted:

Still trying to wrap my head around Rick Barnes making more money than Bill Self, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, and Jay Wright.

SEC Network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The coaching search this year has been almost as crazy as the tournament.

Also I won $500 bucks, thanks Virginia. It was rough picking you to win it all last year. It was hard to do it again. Hell I may have to do it a third time next season.