Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The VR inventory interface sounds really good. You can drag and drop from your wrist with holograms to move things around. Sounds way better than the current mouse based system, especially for VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Dont Touch ME posted:

I still dont understand wth people are talking about with vr nausea. If its that bad just tough it out. Eventually your broke brain will learn to stop being dumb and we won't have to deal with these dumb teleportation move systems.

What is there to not understand? I put on a VR headset at E3 in like 2012 or 2013 and was pretty much immediately sick, leading to me vomiting into a trashcan on the show floor. It's not exactly something people just need to "tough out," VR just isn't for everyone. I'm sure headsets are much more advanced in 2019, and i'm sure I'll try it again either at work or a convention but I'm not hopeful that newer versions of the hardware will completely eliminate the issue.

I get a similar feeling if a FPS game has a Field of View lower than around 100, but nowhere near as strong as wearing a VR headset was.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I mean I think VR is a really dumb gimmick, don't get me wrong, but it shoulsn't make you sick. You should build up tolerance because your brain is malfunctioning and who knows how it might help you.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

You can acclimate your brain to VR but you can't tough out motion sickness if you try your brain will literally associate VR with motion sickness. You have to play in small increments and gradually increase your tolerance and that dedication to play some vidja games really isnt worth it to some people.

That being said my rift is great and I'm glad my braon isn't broke.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

fargom posted:

What is there to not understand? I put on a VR headset at E3 in like 2012 or 2013 and was pretty much immediately sick, leading to me vomiting into a trashcan on the show floor. It's not exactly something people just need to "tough out," VR just isn't for everyone. I'm sure headsets are much more advanced in 2019, and i'm sure I'll try it again either at work or a convention but I'm not hopeful that newer versions of the hardware will completely eliminate the issue.

I get a similar feeling if a FPS game has a Field of View lower than around 100, but nowhere near as strong as wearing a VR headset was.

VR only become worthwhile once they started tracking position, as a result just about every commercially available HMD released before 2016 is complete garbage. Prior HMDs only tracked rotation of the head so any movement outside of that wasn't reflected in the display. In those old headsets unless you sit extremely still you're effectively always artifically locomoting, there's a constant mismatch between your real and virtual head positions, nausea is kind of inevitable.

You shouldn't feel any sickness at all from simply wearing a Vive or Rift, however there's still some odd artifacts caused by the fixed focus of the lenses (around ~2m in front of you) that bothers some people, tends to cause eye strain more than nausea though. Teleporting should be comfortable, cockpits can be a bit more difficult.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 4, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont Touch ME posted:

I mean I think VR is a really dumb gimmick, don't get me wrong, but it shoulsn't make you sick. You should build up tolerance because your brain is malfunctioning and who knows how it might help you.

This is the weirdest take. Quite the opposite happens. If you have a bad experience in your HMD and the. You force it, you can get to the point where even the smell of it makes you sick.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't think there is a "one size fits all answer" here. If a person got sick from an early model headset, it's still worth trying a later model, if you're interested. If you're not interested, its a moot point. VR is awesome and I think NMS in VR would be a perfect fit. If you're struggling with motion sickness, then you need to weigh your interests with that. If you really want to play in VR, then you might need to start testing your endurance and incrementally increasing it. But that ain't gonna work for everyone. Some folks will get sick no matter what. Besides, if a person is really interested in trying VR, they'll Google on their own methods to avoid sickness. And if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
All diseases and ailments can be cured through willpower and vitamins. Medicine and science are lies and scams. Unlock your true power by freeing your mind.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the weirdest take. Quite the opposite happens. If you have a bad experience in your HMD and the. You force it, you can get to the point where even the smell of it makes you sick.

Disagree.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I picked this up in anticipation of playing it on my PSVR. Is there anything to unlock or any reason to play it before VR support releases or should I just wait?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Beginning to think this isn't in good faith

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Scholtz posted:

I picked this up in anticipation of playing it on my PSVR. Is there anything to unlock or any reason to play it before VR support releases or should I just wait?

When VR is enabled it will work on savegames so you might as well start.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dont Touch ME posted:

Thank you for your input on something you literally don't know poo poo about, how much VR have you done?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thank you for your input on something you literally don't know poo poo about, how much VR have you done?

Do you really want to engage with someone who is either that dumb or is trying that hard to be a troll?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Eh, better than what the thread currently has to offer.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
This Gek knows one trick to make threads eat themselves. Interlopers hate them!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Do you really want to engage with someone who is either that dumb or is trying that hard to be a troll?

to be fair he does keep catching people with it, no need to "try" very hard at all lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:same:

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

s.i.r.e. posted:

Enough to know that it doesn't actually add much to basically any game I've tried it with. Maybe if you're like a super duper graphics dude, the "immersive experience" might be cool. But I'd rather just play normally to preserve the ability to have a nice glass of water, and get up to go pee while playing my dumb, mindless game of pressing left click on rocks to unlock the next countdown timer.

(And also not gently caress up my hair or leave weird lines all over my face, lol)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

how can you even call yourself a gamer if you don't have rashes from pissing yourself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dont Touch ME posted:

Enough to know that it doesn't actually add much to basically any game I've tried it with. Maybe if you're like a super duper graphics dude, the "immersive experience" might be cool. But I'd rather just play normally to preserve the ability to have a nice glass of water, and get up to go pee while playing my dumb, mindless game of pressing left click on rocks to unlock the next countdown timer.

(And also not gently caress up my hair or leave weird lines all over my face, lol)

These are all fair points, a lot of the times VR doesn't really add poo poo to things and NMS won't get deep, interesting gameplay just because it has VR. It will make for the best VR space vacation game though! I want to play NMS in VR but it probably won't last long but seeing the scale of things in VR is going to be incredible. For about an hour and then you put it down because the actual gameplay isn't that good.

You can't brute force yourself into VR if you get sick from it though; early into my Vive days I played something that made me insanely ill and had to go outside and lay on the grass in the fetal position for a half hour because I was on the verge of vomiting. It was absolutely miserable, if I tried to push through it I would have threw up all over myself.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

3D is the main selling point of VR to me and barely anyone brings it up but it contributes so much. Being able to judge distance instinctively is a huge boon, especially in racing games and the like. Also being able to keep an eye on your surroundings while firing at an enemy "offscreen" can be super helpful, not to mention badass as hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For NMS the killer feature is going to be the sense of scale. Flying up to a mile-long capital ship on a TV is one thing, but being able to turn around and see the bow receding into the distance behind you while you're still far away from the docking bay and random superstructures are looming up all around you is going to be mindblowing. Same for creatures and plants- those readouts that say "3.5 meters tall" are going to really mean something now when the VR fully conveys that 3.5 meters is almost twice as tall as you are.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Lmao its obvious that guy has never tried VR because while its implementation isnt perfect yet the one thing undeniable about it is how insane it is and everyone whos actually experienced REAL vr would agree it isnt a gimmick. Like theres issues with VR but what that poster keeps bringing up is exactly what people who havent actually tried it say.
That being said i dont have high expectations for this games implementation, especially with only having a psvr. The game can barely run on a ps4 already and they will have to give it a significant fidelity hit to get it non nausea inducing. On top of that the psvr isnt very high res to begin with, but maybe theyll make it work.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

HORMELCHILI posted:

Lmao its obvious that guy has never tried VR because while its implementation isnt perfect yet the one thing undeniable about it is how insane it is and everyone whos actually experienced REAL vr would agree it isnt a gimmick. Like theres issues with VR but what that poster keeps bringing up is exactly what people who havent actually tried it say.
That being said i dont have high expectations for this games implementation, especially with only having a psvr. The game can barely run on a ps4 already and they will have to give it a significant fidelity hit to get it non nausea inducing. On top of that the psvr isnt very high res to begin with, but maybe theyll make it work.

I've owned a Vive and now a Rift and yeah, PC VR is the real deal. But things like the cord get in the way and lower resolution. Once those things are gone I could see myself spending a lot of time in a game like NMS exploring things.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

HORMELCHILI posted:

yeah VR rules

but it seems like in a bunch of those interviews Murray harped on about how optimization for VR has had a huge effect on the normal game, and that the performance increase is substantial. Considering the game was glued together like a scrapbook by like 7 people in a mad rush it doesn't surprise me they're able to wring out some performance 2 years after the game's release

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Making VR versions of games is a good excuse to do an optimization pass, at least if you're competent developer (ie not Bethesda).

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah ill believe it when i see it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

One change in Next that I wasn't aware of was that black holes no longer take you to a random point in the galaxy. The destination still isn't known until you use it, but it is fixed. This means that with a large enough group of nerds you could map the black hole network and use it to calculate the most efficient route from A to B. Which is what reddit has done:

https://darc.blackholesuns.com/

They're at 3,000 black holes mapped so far which is only a fraction of the galaxy, but it's enough that you can actually plan some routes. If a collaborative black hole map was in the actual game I would have been way more inclined to explore the galaxy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Instead of switching between your jump ship and your black hole ship (rather than repairing) between black holes and putting a lot of thought and effort into it, you could merely just put a lot of effort into getting your hyperdrive ship 6 of the best upgrades and making a straight shot for the center while listening to podcasts for a couple hours.

It might seem like tedium.

Because it is.

Every option to the center is pointlessly tedious because it's bad game design which they quietly abandoned.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Party Boat posted:

One change in Next that I wasn't aware of was that black holes no longer take you to a random point in the galaxy. The destination still isn't known until you use it, but it is fixed. This means that with a large enough group of nerds you could map the black hole network and use it to calculate the most efficient route from A to B. Which is what reddit has done:

https://darc.blackholesuns.com/

They're at 3,000 black holes mapped so far which is only a fraction of the galaxy, but it's enough that you can actually plan some routes. If a collaborative black hole map was in the actual game I would have been way more inclined to explore the galaxy.

It's 3000, but the destination systems are different on PS4 than they are on PC/Xbox for some reason. So 1800 + 1200 between the two platforms, unfortunately.
Still really impressive though.

I wish there was a quick explainer on what you need to do to put info in to add to it. the link they give just takes you to a Google doc

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Alpine Mustache posted:

It's 3000, but the destination systems are different on PS4 than they are on PC/Xbox for some reason. So 1800 + 1200 between the two platforms, unfortunately.
Still really impressive though.

I wish there was a quick explainer on what you need to do to put info in to add to it. the link they give just takes you to a Google doc

All you have to do is put a line in the spreadsheet on the Log Black Holes tab, and some administrator goes through and puts them in the main database. Seems pretty insecure but it's a start.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Started playing this in preparation of VR goggles eventually, i.e. wanting to get set up. Meh, is it tedious in regards to inventory and sentinels. I suppose using a savegame editor won't get be banned or something?

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose using a savegame editor won't get be banned or something?

Not likely. expanding your inventory it's pretty easy though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, did they tone down planet biomes? The first time I played it was around release, and there were a lot of cool looking colorful planets, quite a bit of improbable geography that however looked cool. I've been jumping around a bit, and things look rather tame up until now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, did they tone down planet biomes? The first time I played it was around release, and there were a lot of cool looking colorful planets, quite a bit of improbable geography that however looked cool. I've been jumping around a bit, and things look rather tame up until now.

They made it so that the more interesting planets are in the "higher" tier of stars

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Never saw a Mega Exotic. That might've broken up the monotony.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The problem with those planets is that once you have found one, they are all pretty much identical. They have even less variance than normal planets.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I found an extreme weather / extreme sentinels mega exotic that doesn't have the incredibly oppressive hyper red saturated atmosphere, so I landed an island with a nice cluster of resources and built a base on it just to say I did. Otherwise yeah, they're all pretty much the same aside from which plant they turned into a gigantic indestructible rock formation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

NMS on PC now has Vulkan support.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/04/vulkan-update/

Hello Games posted:

Hello everyone,

We were thrilled by the response to the announcement of Beyond and the news that the game will be coming to VR. Bringing a game like No Man’s Sky to VR is a colossal technical undertaking, requiring major improvements to and optimisation of our engine. Your enthusiasm and excitement means so much to us as push on with this difficult task, and we will share more as soon as we are able.

In the meantime, we have some news for players on PC. As part of our optimisation work, we have added Vulkan support to the game. We have been able to do this not only for Beyond, but for the current live version of the game. As such, we wanted to release this to you as soon as possible.

Final Vulkan support will bring many PC players an immediate performance improvement, but it also helps us increase our options as we continue to make significant engine changes. It is only one portion of a large body of work that will see technical improvements for all players on all platforms.

We have also added support for crash reporting. In the event of a crash, callstack data is collected via Steam (we already support this on other platforms). This will enable us to more quickly identify and respond to serious issues. We have updated the EULA to take this into account.

As this is a large change – a complete overhaul of the graphics API – we will roll it out first to the PC Experimental branch, whilst we perform wider compatibility testing with the help of the brave experimental branch players.

In future it will be rolled out to all players.

The patch notes are as follows:

OpenGL has been replaced by Vulkan. Many players, particularly players with AMD graphics cards, should see a performance improvement
Revised HDR support, updated output curve in line with advances in HDR calibration
Adaptive and Triple-Buffered V-Sync are now selectable from Graphics Settings
Players with more than one GPU can now select which is used from Graphics Settings
Changing the following settings no longer require restarting:
- Window Mode
- Resolution
- V-Sync
- Shadow Detail
- Reflection Quality
The ‘LOADING SHADERS’ load step has been removed, improving the loading experience.
Crash data is gathered via Steam to help us track down and fix issues.

As always, thank you to all players who use Experimental and take the time to report any issues you encounter.

Accessing the Experimental Branch

More so than normal it’s important that you update your video card drivers.
Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download
AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support

Please note there is the possibility that experimental builds may introduce new issues that haven’t been caught in test. We’d like to recommend that all players back up their save files, by making a local copy of the st_[userid] folder found here: %appdata%\HelloGames\NMS\

Note that we don’t anticipate any issues here. However, performing your own backups could mean the difference between resuming play immediately, or waiting for the next patch.

If you decide to opt out of experimental and return to the main branch, we strongly recommend resuming from a backed-up save from the main branch, rather than taking an experimental branch save back to main, which may cause unexpected behaviour.

Feedback and reports of new bugs/issues being found on Experimental are welcome, so please submit a ticket to hellogames.zendesk.com with the phrase “Steam Experimental Vulkan” in the ticket title. If you are running any mods for the game, please list them along with your bug report.

To play in Experimental, right-click on No Man’s Sky from the Steam library page and select “Properties”. Among the available tabs will be the “BETAS” tab. Enter “3xperimental” in the textbox and click “Check Code”. “experimental – Experimental” will now be available in the dropdown menu under “Select the beta you would like to opt into”.