Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I went through all of college with nothing but an iPad, on the off chance I needed more I had an iMac at home or computer labs at school. Portability wise the iPad is fantastic for most people as a laptop replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah if I go to grad school this fall I’m considering selling my MBP and buying a new iPad Air or iPad Pro with keyboard instead (probably pro for screen size). The weight savings would make the bike commute much more pleasant.

I just want a keyboard with an actual hinge. I think there was one that was like $300 and also discontinued? It’s not much of a laptop if I can’t like, put it on top of my lap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I put the Smart Keyboard on my lap all the time.

As a matter of fact I typed this post with it on my lap.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Yeah if I go to grad school this fall I’m considering selling my MBP and buying a new iPad Air or iPad Pro with keyboard instead (probably pro for screen size). The weight savings would make the bike commute much more pleasant.

I just want a keyboard with an actual hinge. I think there was one that was like $300 and also discontinued? It’s not much of a laptop if I can’t like, put it on top of my lap.

They’ve got hinged keyboards, but you’re dealing with Bluetooth instead of the smart port. Also they look janky.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FCKGW posted:

Pictured: Apple's Best Laptop with monitor, keyboard and mouse

Nah this is:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jony Ive getting a migraine somewhere and he doesn’t know why

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

tuyop posted:

No idea what you're going for, but for any science field it's going to be really not ideal. Any statistical software, coding, citation manager/library organizer, making presentations for talks, doing things in multiple arbitrarily sized windows side by side lol. Like, you can probably make a PowerPoint presentation for a research proposal on an iPad, but it will be 1000000x times better on a bigger screen, with a bigger better keyboard and a mouse. The iPad will be for reading and taking notes maybe, but any actual writing or research is going to be so much better on a laptop. Keep your laptop and buy a base model or Air iPad for reading/notes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sourdough posted:

No idea what you're going for, but for any science field it's going to be really not ideal. Any statistical software, coding, citation manager/library organizer, making presentations for talks, doing things in multiple arbitrarily sized windows side by side lol. Like, you can probably make a PowerPoint presentation for a research proposal on an iPad, but it will be 1000000x times better on a bigger screen, with a bigger better keyboard and a mouse. The iPad will be for reading and taking notes maybe, but any actual writing or research is going to be so much better on a laptop. Keep your laptop and buy a base model or Air iPad for reading/notes.

I’m in grad school for biology right now and I adore my iPad + pencil for tons of things like notetaking, image/figure making, reading and annotating papers/pulling references to OneNote, browsing these dead/gay forums, and a panoply of other tasks but I absolutely need at least a dual-core laptop running something like MacOS (and probably also Windows) as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's no way to use a mouse,

robin-williams-what-year-is-it.gif

I had a mouse cursor on my 2013 era Nexus 5 using a $30 adapter

Not that I've ever used it, but not supporting standard HID devices in this era, especially being designed in northern California, makes it super non ADA compliant

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh lord here we go again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Not that I've ever used it, but not supporting standard HID devices in this era, especially being designed in northern California, makes it super non ADA compliant

You have a finger :confused:

iOS is super accessible btw

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

MarcusSA posted:

I put the Smart Keyboard on my lap all the time.

As a matter of fact I typed this post with it on my lap.

I love the Smart Keyboard but on a lap the space bar only works like 70% of the time.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it possible to view two word documents at the same time? I love my iPad Pro for note taking and meetings but it has a lot of limits.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Part of the disconnect here is that posters keep coming up with edge cases where iPads don't work, when those probably apply to 20% or less of computer users. No, it doesn't work if you're a programmer. It's mediocre for video editing. No, it wouldn't work if you need 3 or 4 monitors and a bunch of share drives on a wired network. Most people in this thread probably need more power than what an iPad provides, because we're generally more technical. But if your parents wanted to buy a $500 Wal-Mart special, would both their lives and yours be improved by substituting an iPad?

Hadlock posted:

It's a touch interface. Your mouse is like...your whole hand...man.

I took a Python course and used a Python app on the iPad that worked remarkably well until it got to graphical interfaces since those require mouse support. That functionality was diminished, it just wasn't there. The coding parts were pretty good though.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

Is it possible to view two word documents at the same time? I love my iPad Pro for note taking and meetings but it has a lot of limits.

It should work if you open the second document in a different app like Goodreader, Documents or whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hadlock posted:

There's no ADA requirements for tablets unless they're installed in something that will see public use (a kiosk or something) or it's required for someone's job, in which case it is up to the employer to create a reasonable accommodation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah I’d be going for an MA, just notes, referencing and annotating PDFs, maybe drafting presentations and essays. In this hypothetical future I’d do the serious workflow stuff on a desktop PC, probably.

Though I’d love to see how hard I could push one of these RPis as a real computer replacement. 🤔

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tuyop posted:

Yeah I’d be going for an MA, just notes, referencing and annotating PDFs, maybe drafting presentations and essays. In this hypothetical future I’d do the serious workflow stuff on a desktop PC, probably.

Though I’d love to see how hard I could push one of these RPis as a real computer replacement. 🤔

In your case I’d recommend a Mini/2018 iPad/Air to start before dropping ~$1k on an iPad Pro. The smaller iPads can do all of the support tasks just as well as the Pros can and I doubt you’d benefit from the extra performance capacity.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Refurbished base model retina MacBook Air or 12" MacBook for $1020 and $1100 respectively, not bad. Although refurb iPad pro 10.5" for $470 too.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

If you don't need to edit one of them, do "Print as PDF" and have one Word doc on the left, and the PDF version on the right.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The iPad could do practically everything your average computer could do if only it had a desktop web browser. That's always been my functionality bottleneck.

If the one iPad feature of iOS 13 was Real Safari, I'd be happy. Many websites ignore the "Request Desktop Page" request from Mobile Safari, and Mobile Safari works poorly with web apps.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

tuyop posted:

Spreadsheet software is also crap on iOS if you’re doing anything with that.

Godzilla07 posted:

If you don't need to edit one of them, do "Print as PDF" and have one Word doc on the left, and the PDF version on the right.

Yeah I get there are workarounds but for most of my academic and working life I have multiple word or pdf documents open a lot of the time. If you do anything with research or policy or events an iPad doesn’t cut it. I’m not saying that some people aren’t better off with an iPad but that’s a long way from saying an iPad is a laptop replacement or “the best laptop on the market”.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
At least for my academic work I’d definitely rather have an iPad and a MacBook/Air than a MacBook Pro for the same money. Although currently I’m very very happy with my 2013 rMBP and I hope it lasts me forever.

At the point where I need more performance I’d probably add a desktop over getting something like one of the current rMBPs.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I’m not sure ADA requires you to support USB HID devices

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's just loving weird that in 2019 we have a tablet that does display mirroring and supports bluetooth keyboards and bluetooth headsets, but Apple at this point has to be intentionally gimping USB/bluetooth mouse support for some hair brained reason. You guys keep saying the iPad pro is the best laptop Apple makes, and then turn around and say "but why would you want a mouse when you have a touchscreen tablet?" I mean this is the company that invented the mouse first OS, even in OSX there are still a lot of simple things like selecting ok/cancel buttons with the arrow keys and using space to confirm, that you can't do with Apple products, you need a mouse, but when someone suggests mouse support on one of Apple's products you treat them like a crazy person.

In other news I talked to some other sailors and they all said Android tablet hardware is still total crap and just skip trying to buy Android and get an iPad even if it means loving around with lightning connectors so I guess I'm going down that road under duress

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve literally never used my iPad and thought “huh this really needs a mouse”

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, the only time I have was when using Jump Desktop to RDP into another computer. And even then, it's a fleeting thought since Jump's stylus/finger mouse emulation is really good.

Seriously, if your first thought is "why is there no support for a mouse?" then perhaps an iPad is the wrong device to be considering. If you want light, portable and can use a mouse it sounds like a Chromebook or MacBook Air is probably a better idea.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hadlock posted:

It's just loving weird that in 2019 we have a tablet that does display mirroring and supports bluetooth keyboards and bluetooth headsets, but Apple at this point has to be intentionally gimping USB/bluetooth mouse support for some hair brained reason. You guys keep saying the iPad pro is the best laptop Apple makes, and then turn around and say "but why would you want a mouse when you have a touchscreen tablet?" I mean this is the company that invented the mouse first OS, even in OSX there are still a lot of simple things like selecting ok/cancel buttons with the arrow keys and using space to confirm, that you can't do with Apple products, you need a mouse, but when someone suggests mouse support on one of Apple's products you treat them like a crazy person.

In other news I talked to some other sailors and they all said Android tablet hardware is still total crap and just skip trying to buy Android and get an iPad even if it means loving around with lightning connectors so I guess I'm going down that road under duress

I would like pointing device support for text editing, considering that a virtual trackpad is already built into the iOS keyboard. It's silly that Apple won't make a touchscreen Mac, citing ergonomic concerns, but the only way to interact with an iPad in a Smart Keyboard is touch.

And yes, the iPad Pro is the best portable computer Apple makes because the current Mac laptops are the worst computers Apple has made in the last 20 years

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I honestly have no idea what you'd use a mouse for on an iPad. Games maybe? I don't see the benefit at all of re-adding an abstraction like a mouse pointer, when you have a god drat pointing finger right in front of you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gently caress a mouse, bring back the split keyboard! :f5:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress a mouse, bring back the split keyboard! :f5:

It never went away?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Last Chance posted:

I honestly have no idea what you'd use a mouse for on an iPad. Games maybe? I don't see the benefit at all of re-adding an abstraction like a mouse pointer, when you have a god drat pointing finger right in front of you.

I do a lot of Remote Desktop and mouse support would be really cool. In addition to that, M/KB support in games would also loving rule. The pencil works for like 90% of what I do but a mouse is not something I wouldn’t say no to.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I do a lot of Remote Desktop and mouse support would be really cool. In addition to that, M/KB support in games would also loving rule. The pencil works for like 90% of what I do but a mouse is not something I wouldn’t say no to.
Check the software. Some remote desktop apps *do* support a limited number of ridiculously overpriced Bluetooth mice.

I do agree that it's pretty dumb not to have mouse support if they're trying to push it as "real work" machine. But also "ADA compliance" is not a thing for tablets, so that's a bad argument.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Last Chance posted:

It never went away?

It did on the Pro right? Please tell me I haven’t been missing the option somehow :negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Check the software. Some remote desktop apps *do* support a limited number of ridiculously overpriced Bluetooth mice.

Yeah I’ve used Splashtop for years (using Chrome Remote Desktop now) and they had their own BT mouse you could use but it was this ridiculous $150 tiny rear end thing that was meant to be “portable” but I just want to use a regular loving mouse.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It did on the Pro right? Please tell me I haven’t been missing the option somehow :negative:

There is an app that can do a split keyboard. I can't vouch for it personally, because I don't care for split keyboard.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hold the bottom right button on the keyboard, there’s an option to split it?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

ratbert90 posted:

Hold the bottom right button on the keyboard, there’s an option to split it?

Nope! Apparently it’s removed on the Pros for some reason?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s there on my 10.5” Pro.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s there on my 10.5” Pro.

It's not on mine?

Edit: I guess it is. It was turned off by default in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Long press the button with a picture of a keyboard and a V underneath it? I do that and get a pop up with the options Undock and Split.

Edit: “Split keyboard” is a toggle option in Settings - Keyboard.