Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Buttcoin purse posted:

Do you in fact have to already have knee problems for that to happen? I mean did she mess something up really badly in her routine to cause that? I don't really want to watch it again to check.

I think they meant she's going to have knee problems for the rest of her life. It's hard to say what exactly went wrong but I think she locked her knees too early and landed at a bit of a shallow angle. The forward momentum of her upper body did the rest of the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

“That’s $800 worth of airplane right there. He’s got some money tied up in that.”
[Flies away in his 1/4-million-dollar toy]

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

wah wah wah big baby millionaire baseball men won't even come out on the field when it's raining

wah wah wah big baby millionaire gridiron players won't come out on the field without something that looks like warhammer armour...

:australia: :britain: :france: :scotland: :vuvu: :spain: ...

Edit: where the hell is the kiwi flag smilie..? I just spent an hour looking for it.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 8, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If I was a billionaire making ungodly amounts of money on incredibly large and genetically gifted people I'm not going to want one of them to stop playing and stop generating me money because he cracked his skull or dislocated his shoulder because another incredibly large and genetically gifted person ran into him with enough force to level a brick wall.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah it's way better for revenues when the injuries are such that the long-term brain damage doesn't become apparent until after the player retires.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jabor posted:

Yeah it's way better for revenues when the injuries are such that the long-term brain damage doesn't become apparent until after the player worker retires.

See also: asbestos mining.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

“That’s $800 worth of airplane right there. He’s got some money tied up in that.”
[Flies away in his 1/4-million-dollar toy]

"Those guys are loving tripping right now, they are trippin son" Says the guy smoking a cig doing a two player one controller run of a helicopter. I feel like i'm just seriously wasting my life now.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

FCKGW posted:

What's wrong with the voice?

hi goons have serious issues with women

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

So when the payload is released, the engine load doesn't really change.

Sure it does. It has to. If you need to lift more weight in a helicopter, you add collective. That increases blade pitch, which increases blade drag, which acts to slow the rotor. That'll in turn slow the drivetrain, slow the transmission at the output, and would slow the input shaft as well. But the control system for the engine tries to make it spin at constant rpm as well, so in this case the governor will send more fuel to the engine, producing more power, increasing engine rpm to compensate, which will also keep the rotor rpm constant. You can't lift more weight without increasing power out of the engine. In the other direction, if you drop your payload, less power is demanded from the engine, and the fuel flow decreases so it doesn't overspeed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If the pilot doesn't choose to change the collective when they drop the payload, the engine load doesn't change, the engine speed doesn't change, the helicopter just accelerates faster.

They can back off the engine load at whatever rate is appropriate, rather than having a dramatic change in load at the instant the payload is released.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also a Christmas tree weighs what -- like 50 to 100 pounds? That's a very small additional load for a goddamn helicopter.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Rewinding to arson chat

Yesterday a used car dealership right next to my apartment had 11 cars spontaneously go up in flames. Totally not insurance fraud I'm sure.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Who the hell is getting 100 pound Christmas trees.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My dad bought a 30' tree once when we were kids. That bastard was at least 100lbs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sandoz posted:

hi goons have serious issues with women

Oh I know, I wanted them to spell it out for everyone though

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The useful load of a 206 is somewhere between 800 and 1000lbs. That’s before you attach the long-line equipment or put a pilot or fuel in it. After adding all that, a bundle of trees is going to be (purposefully) right at max gross.

What I’m trying to say is that pilot is making that look easy, but he’s really working his rear end off.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

MrYenko posted:

The useful load of a 206 is somewhere between 800 and 1000lbs. That’s before you attach the long-line equipment or put a pilot or fuel in it. After adding all that, a bundle of trees is going to be (purposefully) right at max gross.

What I’m trying to say is that pilot is making that look easy, but he’s really working his rear end off.

I was also going to ask what the reasonable payload for a helicopter that size is, thanks for the clarification on that.

Jabor posted:

If the pilot doesn't choose to change the collective when they drop the payload, the engine load doesn't change, the engine speed doesn't change, the helicopter just accelerates faster.

They can back off the engine load at whatever rate is appropriate, rather than having a dramatic change in load at the instant the payload is released.

however this also makes sense to me more intuitively than how I was thinking about it last night.

goons are cool

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
Irish truckfuckling

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/1115240958864572419

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cable Guy posted:

wah wah wah big baby millionaire gridiron players won't come out on the field without something that looks like warhammer armour...

:australia: :britain: :france: :scotland: :vuvu: :spain: ...

Edit: where the hell is the kiwi flag smilie..? I just spent an hour looking for it.

Lol you even have a picture of when they do their special dancy before the game.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Hey, does anyone have a link to that blog about the florida university biotech startup whos ceo was spending his time trying to make lsd or something? I can't seem to find it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Hey, does anyone have a link to that blog about the florida university biotech startup whos ceo was spending his time trying to make lsd or something? I can't seem to find it.

Breaking Bad in South Florida

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The new regulation safety alarms are in

https://twitter.com/volpinprops/status/1114299454163750912?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:bisonyes:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

These cocks get excited for tornados!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Related, the USS S-5.

quote:

A seaman on watch aboard the wooden steamship Alanthus, making her last voyage, spotted what he thought was a buoy on 2 September 1920. Knowing that no buoy should be so far out to sea, Alanthus's captain turned his vessel around to investigate. Approaching the submarine's stern rising above the ocean, the captain hailed S-5 in maritime fashion. That conversation became legend:

"What ship?"
"S-5."
"What nationality?"
"American."
"Where bound?"
"Hell by compass."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I don't care that this was an April fools joke (it was last Monday I think?) it rules and it should be real

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Thank you!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I don't care that this was an April fools joke (it was last Monday I think?) it rules and it should be real

Nicky Hayden had a few helmet designs in a similar vein, and while they're a fair bit less creepy...they're still loving creepy.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/nicky-haydens-laguna-seca-helmet-photos/

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dMYHLhi6QM
Dont watch if knees going the wrong way is horrific to you.
Agggghhhhhhh

Yeah she announced her retirement right after

WHY THE gently caress DID I CLICK ON THIS?!?!?!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Guessing cause you aren't an auburn fan?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It was like watching that terrible movie "The Arrival" with Charlie Sheen all over again....

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

”I think she may be hurt.” Talk about understatement.

Apparently she broke both of her legs.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

1.21 jiggawatts!

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

ekuNNN posted:

Speaking of falling off ladders:

"Use safe climbing material"

I am legitimately surprised I have never seen one of these types of step-ladders before.

Does anyone make one like that? With a big handle for grasping as you go up/down? Seems useful.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Nicky Hayden had a few helmet designs in a similar vein, and while they're a fair bit less creepy...they're still loving creepy.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/nicky-haydens-laguna-seca-helmet-photos/

Didn't Rossi have his face on the top of his once too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rad-daddio posted:

1.21 jiggawatts!

I assume back then no one knew how to pronounce "giga"? Was that the story?