Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
videogames EVE is stupid

imagine there's a dog in a suit as space CEO pic here.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

wat

ia ia cthulu ftagn, may the Eater of Dreams make us pure

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I hate Ben Shapiro and Charlie Kirk so god drat much. They are always so smug while being the dumbest people with the stupidest arguments and basically nothing they say is ever in good faith.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Love that there's more accountability in EVE's fictional government than there is in the real US government.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I imagine that hundreds or thousands of people will be killed in Trump’s death camps, at which point they will blame Democrats for not letting them teargas them at the border.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Imagine being so hosed in the head that you think dying because you can't afford available healthcare is an infinitely better solution than dying because you're not able to have access to healthcare period.

Like, I already knew Ben had a rager for people dying, I just didn't know it was that insatiable.

Related: Something else occurred to me. I've heard for years about that dumb argument about how people can't be against capitalism if they have iphones. But I've mostly been fine answering that argument with that Matt Bors comic. But it didn't occur to me until recently how much dumber that argument is when you realize that they're defending the idea of capitalism by pointing to the benefits of actual sweatshop labor. Aside from being hilarious, wasn't this something capitalism was supposed to avoid?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mr Interweb posted:

Related: Something else occurred to me. I've heard for years about that dumb argument about how people can't be against capitalism if they have iphones. But I've mostly been fine answering that argument with that Matt Bors comic. But it didn't occur to me until recently how much dumber that argument is when you realize that they're defending the idea of capitalism by pointing to the benefits of actual sweatshop labor. Aside from being hilarious, wasn't this something capitalism was supposed to avoid?

But look at how global capitalism created jobs for all those netmakers.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Stereotype posted:

I hate Ben Shapiro and Charlie Kirk so god drat much. They are always so smug while being the dumbest people with the stupidest arguments and basically nothing they say is ever in good faith.

I had never heard Shapiro talk until I saw a clip of his podcast visit with Alt-Right Uncle Joe and holy poo poo I want to stuff that kid in a loving locker.

"You can't hit me that would be violating school code and decorum sir...."

Oh and I'd add some swirlies

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

BrandorKP posted:

Madison Grant.

The anti-trade "anti-globalism" is the racism is the anti-semitism is the corruption / oligarchy is the fascism. Stephen Miller is pushing it. It probably is what Trump is though.

Killing the way the global economy and international trade works is the end itself. It's not a means to anything else. The end is to put up walls and close borders, be they real or customs barriers to trade, or barriers to free movement. It's not being done for a reason, it's not being done to fufill campaign promises. It is itself the reason.

I've gone from arguing that thier economic/trade policy is dumb and mistaken to arguing it is explictly racist and fascist. It's literally inspired Hilter racism and fascism.

That's a different beast from they're dummies who dont know how trade works.

Thanks for this post. This clicked a lot of things in my head that I've been pushing around, mostly around the feeling that while there policies and actions are explicitly stupid and dumb as gently caress from a "if that was your stated goal, that isn't how you do it", there was an underlying logic to them that made them more than just trying to The Secret their way into a good economy or something. These are highly destructive actions taken by an actor thinking they can walk away from the twin towers collapsing and they now own the largest building in town.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Mahoning posted:

Snopes debunks basically their entire worldview. Of course they call it fake news.

I'll note the guy (on Facebook when I posted that) also said "he had friends in Montreal that had experienced this supposed claim".

At which point I just sort of went "Well, what more can be said then?" Either he did in some way and I have no place in the discussion, or he's lying or deluded and there's no point in any sort of discussion. I just wanted to see if Snopes had started suffering any sort of rot when I wasn't looking.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Yuzenn posted:

I had never heard Shapiro talk until I saw a clip of his podcast visit with Alt-Right Uncle Joe and holy poo poo I want to stuff that kid in a loving locker.

He kept misgendering a transgendered woman on air (who used to an Army Ranger, or helicopter pilot, or something badass) and she was like 'you call me 'sir' one more time and you're leaving in an ambulance.' Shapiro squeaked out a 'well that's a little inappropriate don't you think' or something equally weaselly.

It's sad that he's the intellectual beacon of the right, because he is both a moron and totally intellectually dishonest.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 9, 2019

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
he then tried to sue her then wimped out.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

He kept misgendering a transexual woman on air (who used to an Army Ranger, or helicopter pilot, or something badass) and she was like 'you call me 'sir' one more time and you're leaving in an ambulance.' Shapiro squeaked out a 'well that's a little inappropriate don't you think' or something equally weaselly.

It's sad that he's the intellectual beacon of the right, because he is both a moron and totally intellectually dishonest.

specifically, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQy70_LPS4

edit: also I think "transgender" is preferred to "transexual" nowadays since gender and sexuality are different things, but I am by no means an expert on trans issues

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 9, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Edit: whoops

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 9, 2019

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pellisworth posted:

edit: also I think "transgender" is preferred to "transexual" nowadays since gender and sexuality are different things, but I am by no means an expert on trans issues

Fixed. I waffled for a second and didn't bother googling. I think you're right on that. No offense intended.

Also, it's amazing, rewatching Ben Shapiro get loving destroyed on-stage, that all the recommended videos are BEN SHAPIRO DESTROYS WITH FACT AND LOGIC on the sidebar. God, gently caress youtube.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 9, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, eve online is my favorite game to hear about that I never want to play ever

Like that guy who cut the power to a rival faction's leader's house right before launching an attack, or vilerat recruiting potential diplomats via it, or the guy fleecing 100k worth of ingame currency in a massively elaborate scam, or this poo poo

Love it love it love it

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the exact exchange is:

Shapiro: "what are your genetics sir"
Zoey: "you cut that out now, or you'll go home in an ambulance"
Shapiro: "that seems mildly inappropriate for a political discussion"

eat poo poo Shapiro, it's egregiously inappropriate to deliberately misgender a trans woman for any reason, them's fighting words

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, eve online is my favorite game to hear about that I never want to play ever

Like that guy who cut the power to a rival faction's leader's house right before launching an attack, or vilerat recruiting potential diplomats via it, or the guy fleecing 100k worth of ingame currency in a massively elaborate scam, or this poo poo

Love it love it love it

I tried to play it and lost interest before my free trial ran out, but reading about it was funny.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

specifically, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQy70_LPS4

It's incredibly inappropriate that the host didn't nip that in the bud before it got to the point where she had to stand up for herself. We all know what happens when people from targeted minorities have to stand up for themselves.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Stickman posted:

It's incredibly inappropriate that the host didn't nip that in the bud before it got to the point where she had to stand up for herself. We all know what happens when people from targeted minorities have to stand up for themselves.

That was the logical conclusion of that exchange. Putting that pedantic garden gnome on-stage with a trans woman was the recipe for that confrontation. It drew eyes. Zoey Tur is stronger than I'll ever be, because that exchange gets me boiling years later.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Stickman posted:

Isn't Dr. Drew poo poo, anyway?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yes he is. Just look at one of those teen mom season ender things for an example.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Drew had some shaky tendencies but used to mostly stick to semi clinical diagnoses. Like "you have an addictive personality and are seeking thrills through your bad relationships now that you're sober."

Modern Drew is all about the attention and being the Adult in the room which means he's over extended to disciplines he has no reason to speak on and it's total poo poo he let Benji ramble on without shutting him the gently caress down.

Teen Mom is probably the least harm he's done in a show. Celeb Rehab was loving atrocious and exactly the kind of thing he would be aghast at were he 90s Drew. Like didn't 3 people from the first two seasons end up dead or super hosed up???

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 9, 2019

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
At least with Mar-a-Lago guests I've finally identified a demographic that might actually have a use for the ScotteVest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CubanMissile posted:

At least with Mar-a-Lago guests I've finally identified a demographic that might actually have a use for the ScotteVest.

ALL THESE PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Yuzenn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUYro9ZOSno

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

nine-gear crow posted:

Imagine being so hosed in the head that you think dying because you can't afford available healthcare is an infinitely better solution than dying because you're not able to have access to healthcare period.

Like, I already knew Ben had a rager for people dying, I just didn't know it was that insatiable.

I've found this to be a good priemer on why people on the conservative right feel this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agzNANfNlTs

They don't believe the same things you do. Their worldview is structured entirely differently. And if you find it isn't well... then time to worry about yourself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain Invictus posted:

Love it love it love it

I tried but could never get into EVE Online. But my favorite thing about it is that Goons pissed off so many people in it that you still get the occasional unhinged rant online when people realize you're a goon or part of a goon group. And what was the evil secret Goons used to create their armada?

Simply: being nice to new players.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Alkydere posted:

I tried but could never get into EVE Online. But my favorite thing about it is that Goons pissed off so many people in it that you still get the occasional unhinged rant online when people realize you're a goon or part of a goon group. And what was the evil secret Goons used to create their armada?

be nice to new GOON players. gently caress the rest for lulz and profit.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I played for about a year and goons were probably the nicest group of people I had ever encountered in an MMO. Other than naming their main station Jerusalem because they were in JU- and calling mining and ratting, jewing.

From what I've read since then, they've moved on from that name and purged a lot of the right wing shitheads. Though that might be because they've been skullfucked by like every other alliance out of Deklien and JU-.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Canuckistan posted:

be nice to new GOON players. gently caress the rest for lulz and profit.

Still a step above everyone else given apparently every other alliance is run as you might expect an organisation of power-mad turbnonerds would be.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Alkydere posted:

the evil secret

Shouldn't that be the terrible secret? :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Alkydere posted:

When I did the free trial, they were only super-nice to new goon players (they gave me a ton of free poo poo), but told you to try to scam non-goons.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'll note the guy (on Facebook when I posted that) also said "he had friends in Montreal that had experienced this supposed claim".

At which point I just sort of went "Well, what more can be said then?" Either he did in some way and I have no place in the discussion, or he's lying or deluded and there's no point in any sort of discussion. I just wanted to see if Snopes had started suffering any sort of rot when I wasn't looking.

He likely saw someone online who said they live in Montreal and had experienced it. Whenever that sort of topic gets posted on conservative spaces you get a ton of people pretending to live in the area or be one of the affected group and to have seen it first hand.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was on the CSM for a while. The best thing about it was that it underlined beautifully how little the devs understood either their own game, or game design in general (I am a game designer).

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

LeeMajors posted:

He kept misgendering a transgendered woman on air (who used to an Army Ranger, or helicopter pilot, or something badass) and she was like 'you call me 'sir' one more time and you're leaving in an ambulance.' Shapiro squeaked out a 'well that's a little inappropriate don't you think' or something equally weaselly.

How do you curtail this intellectual dishonesty for money behavior?

I keep coming back to having actual journalism be a louder voice instead of this " whatever gets us ratings" bullshit we currently have. Not sure how to do that though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

syntaxrigger posted:

I keep coming back to having actual journalism be a louder voice instead of this " whatever gets us ratings" bullshit we currently have. Not sure how to do that though.

Dismantle capitalism

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Cornwind Evil posted:

Honestly didn't know where to post or ask this, but since this is the US Politics thread and it ties into an aspect of U.S politics that's become a massive battleground, I thought I'd ask.

So some conservative guy I follow on Facebook mainly to see how the other side thinks posts a warning about "children being used to lure woman for gang rapes." I go look it up: surprise surprise it's yet another debunked urban legend style claim from Snopes. I post a link saying this is false. The guy replies that Snopes "Is one of the biggest fake news sites there is".

So, uh...where did this come from? There even the slightest shred of validity to such a claim, or it just more bubble-thought "attack attack attack" nonsense that's caused so much darn grief in the last five years? I'd consider it if it was something like CNN or whatnot, but as far as I can tell Snopes just tries to suss out the truth of all sorts of grapevine/telephone style claims and stories.

This one floored me as well. I learned about Snopes from my GRANDFATHER in the 90's ffs. It's just a myth debunking website.

Turns out, conservative people get taken a lot by myths, so rather than allow their world view to be challenged, they just question the source of correct information. I don't know when, specifically, they started calling it a biased source, but I want to say sometime mid-bush administration. It could have been earlier when conservatives were getting into "global warming denialism".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing mentioned a while back about how Trump is ultimately an attention whore who considers ratings the most important thing in the world actually explains a lot. For starters, it's a better political strategy than the Hillary Clinton style of lowering expectations and doing the bare minimum and expecting to be crowned for it. But it also explains why it's breaking so many liberal centrist brains; they've come to expect the ideal President to be one that stays out of the headlines except to occasionally show up smiling to assure them everything is fine and they don't have to change anything, and having a President saying and doing horrible things on a daily basis demanding their attention feels like a constant barrage of personal attacks. Which is kind of the point. His base likes him because he hurts the people they hate, and he knows this and makes sure to make a point of it every single day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

syntaxrigger posted:

This is clearly one of the fundamental problems with democracy. Stupid and ignorant people get to vote. When you end up with a system gerrymanders towards stupidity and ignorance and allows a party to prosper of that stupid, ignorant vote and then legislate to promote stupidity and ignorance, that's a real problem.