Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Also moviefone doesn't exist anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Queen Combat posted:

Also moviefone doesn't exist anymore :(

Don’t understand a forums post? Try checking your TV listings and see if the Simpsons episode “A Star Is Burns” is coming up. Go to your local RadioShack and ask them for a VCR. Record the Simpsons episode according to the manufacturers instructions and then watch until you get to Rainier Wolfcastle doing stand-up comedy. Turn up the volume and watch over and over until you break the VCR.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Acute Grill posted:

Don't actually.do this. The moisture and Doritos crumbs on your breath will corrode the contacts, ruining the game and likely your console.
:goonsay:

Did this actually happen to anyone? Someone always points it out, but never offers an alternative. The choice is between having a failed cartridge now, or blowing on it to play your game and maybe having a failed cartridge later. Maybe canned air but I don't think that was especially common during the age of the NES.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
it's usually not even a problem with cleanliness but rather a design flaw of the cartridge slot itself. the piece inside the NES gets lovely over time and use, it bends out of shape or something.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The other common failure point is the lock-out chip, which can fail to authenticate carts and cause that bullshit where the power light just blinks at startup. The later top-loader NES doesn't have this chip and games boot on the first try nearly every time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My mouse has a ball.

:suicide:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

this doesn't exactly explain why you were watching Cartoon Network six inches from the screen with your pants around your ankles, Kevin

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EKDS5k posted:

Did this actually happen to anyone? Someone always points it out, but never offers an alternative. The choice is between having a failed cartridge now, or blowing on it to play your game and maybe having a failed cartridge later. Maybe canned air but I don't think that was especially common during the age of the NES.

Just taking the cartridge out and putting it back in is what "fixes" it. You don't need an alternative to blowing on it, you just don't do it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

wesleywillis posted:

My mouse has a ball.

:suicide:

Same

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

As a kid I'd clean my cartridges with qtips moistened with rubbing alcohol.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rydiafan posted:

As a kid I'd clean my cartridges with qtips moistened with rubbing alcohol.

We always used a dry toothbrush

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I did all of those things, except it was my housemates not my parents I didn’t want to wake up :corsair:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Edit: this joke may actually be too awful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pastry of the Year posted:

this doesn't exactly explain why you were watching Cartoon Network six inches from the screen with your pants around your ankles, Kevin

Yeah, that lifehack just makes things worse. Whoops, now instead of thinking your a normal pervert like everyone else, your parents think you get off to Craig of the Creek.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Johnny Bravo is hot, okay?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Flashbacks to realizing you'd taken a wrong turn somewhere and trying to trace back to where it happened

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

It makes musical notes you tone-deaf bastard!!!

signed,
someone who actually managed to beat Simon one time as a kid

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Flashbacks to realizing you'd taken a wrong turn somewhere and trying to trace back to where it happened

just lol if you can't find your exact position based on the intersection of your current road and a funny shaped tree on a 4ft by 3ft fold-out map of the tri-state region that you got from a reststop kiosk.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The other common failure point is the lock-out chip, which can fail to authenticate carts and cause that bullshit where the power light just blinks at startup. The later top-loader NES doesn't have this chip and games boot on the first try nearly every time.

Light Gun Man posted:

it's usually not even a problem with cleanliness but rather a design flaw of the cartridge slot itself. the piece inside the NES gets lovely over time and use, it bends out of shape or something.

Actual lifehack: spend like six bucks on a new 72-pin connector for your NES, it takes like ten minutes to swap out and while you have the thing open you can cut the power pin to the lockout chip with a razor blade. Bam, an NES that will boot nearly any cartridge on the first try for years to come.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Back in the late 90s I bent my NES's pins so they'd put put more tension against the cart and cut the lock-out chip and to this day it works first time every time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Back in the late 90s I bent my NES's pins so they'd put put more tension against the cart and cut the lock-out chip and to this day it works first time every time.

Do the old carts still work? I thought they had a battery or something.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
^ Only games with saves, and you can theoretically solder a new CR2032 in place to fix them anyway.

food court bailiff posted:

Actual lifehack: spend like six bucks on a new 72-pin connector for your NES, it takes like ten minutes to swap out and while you have the thing open you can cut the power pin to the lockout chip with a razor blade. Bam, an NES that will boot nearly any cartridge on the first try for years to come.

Also replace the LED with a blue one because gently caress it!

I need to get another NES, drat.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

In theory the save batteries should only last 10 years or so, but every game I own all the way back to The Legend of Zelda still holds saves just fine. I think that environmental conditions matter a lot.

Edit: lithium button cell batteries in general are overlooked marvels of technology. The watch I'm wearing on my wrist right now is one my mom bought for me in 1996. I've never replaced the battery and it still runs perfectly.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Apr 12, 2019

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

pseudorandom posted:

just lol if you can't find your exact position based on the intersection of your current road and a funny shaped tree on a 4ft by 3ft fold-out map of the tri-state region that you got from a reststop kiosk.

It’s important so you can get to the two-and-a-half-diamond barbeque restaurant from your guidebook (that burned down six months ago, gently caress, it’s going to be Denny’s for dinner again).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dewgy posted:

^ Only games with saves, and you can theoretically solder a new CR2032 in place to fix them anyway.

Also replace the LED with a blue one because gently caress it!

I need to get another NES, drat.

Blue is so 2006, though, I popped a green one in mine.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

Blue is so 2006, though, I popped a green one in mine.

Ah, going retro with the matrix reference, nice

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVSEpvFe9Uo

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Considering maybe shaving your beard? Shave your beard. LIFE HACK!

Want to cut your bangs? Try cutting your bangs :siren: using a straight line :siren: and obscured vision to achieve very unevenly cut bangs! LIFE HAACK!!!!!!!!!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
IDK why chubby Jason Momoa using the eyelash curler on his moustache just keeps making me loving giggle.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
GREASY HAIR? It's probably because of that artificial jism we got you to rub in your hair a couple of hacks back.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

GREASY HAIR? It's probably because of that artificial jism we got you to rub in your hair a couple of hacks back.

The idea that someone just does all the life hacks in order of release has me busting up rn

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Wait, so I can make my hair look more oily by just spraying oil into it? I've wasted years of my life trying to jerk off onto my head!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Try jumping to get that extra airtime you need to pull it off #johack #maybelline

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pseudorandom posted:

Considering maybe shaving your beard? Shave your beard. LIFE HACK!

With a drat meat cleaver at that.

I think my favorite is using a candle to handle the frizzies in your hair. Because that won't work how they think it will

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Primo douchifying hax in there btw

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/kaG8dnL.mp4

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Dry skin? Try making a vegan bulletproof coffee.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Not often that you see someone shrug with their feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009

jobson groeth posted:

Dry skin? Try making a vegan bulletproof coffee.

BPC doesn't have half its mass in sugar

Also what does "meth-scab-skin" have to do with dry skin?