Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Keetron posted:

lovely start of the week: upon arriving super early to the office and trying to upgrade to a bigger screen I dropped the bigger one and now it is broken. Put it back and informed management of my fuckup. They were more annoyed by the audacity of deciding by myself I could have a bigger screen. I will of course be charged for the screen, let's see if I can get my insurance to pay for that.

The gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shut up Meg posted:

The gently caress?

"arriving super early to the office and trying to upgrade to a bigger screen" strongly suggests this guy was trying to grab one from another office/cube/desk. I mean I'm all for DIY equipment fixes but if you're doing it yourself you kind of own the liability if you gently caress up and drop it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, if this was an approved hardware req and you happened to drop it, you shouldn't pay for it. If this was you scrounging around without permission you probably still shouldn't pay for it but it's pretty solidly your fault so it might be smarter to pay up than make yourself look like that much more of an idiot.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

It was very much an unauthorised hardware upgrade when nobody was looking. Additional fact: I am a contractor, not an employee and renting myself out from my own company to this client.
Until proven otherwise, I am simply going with the assumption I will pay for it myself that I will then charge as cost of operations to my company. Also mentioned is that I have insurance for accidents and that might get used. When asked what happened I could only say that this is no malice, just stupidy and that got a laugh out of management.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Omne posted:

Honestly, sometimes I regret ever leaving FedEx...

That way lies madness.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Every month we have to do a monthly report for sales/billing, and it comes from my team, and my coworker and I "take turns" every month doing it. At least that's how it should work. In reality, I've done it every month since August, as she always comes up with an excuse to not do it, or she's out. It's her month this month, and it's now the 8th and the report isn't done, despite billing asking for it on the 4th. This is the same coworker who was working on a project that I asked to have done by the end of last month (and it's still not done).

I'm gonna end up having to do the loving report again and I'm gonna be really loving annoyed. It isn't hard, I just am tired of doing everything for her.

I really hope I get the job that I interviewed for last week, this place suuuucks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Have you considered just... not doing it?

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have you considered just... not doing it?

I have but then my boss tells me to do it

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'

momtartin posted:

I have but then my boss tells me to do it

"Well gee boss I'd like to but I have X, Y and Z to do too. So which of X, Y or Z should I drop to make room for *insert coworker's name here* report?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Big Spoon posted:

"Well gee boss I'd like to but I have X, Y and Z to do too. So which of X, Y or Z should I drop to make room for *insert coworker's name here* report?"

"I think there's something confusion here, on your part. Figure out a way to get everything done you're assigned. What do you think we pay you for?"

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Well the coworker did the report but hosed up a simple pivot table and didn’t include a key metric.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

momtartin posted:

Well the coworker did the report but hosed up a simple pivot table and didn’t include a key metric.

As long as her name is on it, you are safe.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Volmarias posted:

"I think there's something confusion here, on your part. Figure out a way to get everything done you're assigned. What do you think we pay you for?"

If you think someone else can do this job better than I can for the peanuts you pay me, be my guest.

No obviously you can't actually say that to your boss unless you already have a better offer in hand, but some of y'all need to do less complaining about your lazy co-workers and more pondering the question of how your co-workers get away with being lazy and incompetent yet remaining employed forever. They didn't make the mistake you made: letting your boss get a clue of what your real capabilities are.

Embrace the passive aggression, my friends

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 8, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Learn how to say no in a corporate environment.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Repeat after me: "I'm not sure I have capacity for that. Can we circle back to this in a bit? I wanted to talk about [literally anything]"

Repeat as infinitum

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm reasonably sure I've posted this before but... even with Dilbert being tainted forever by its author, this works:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm working on three hours of sleep and I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the loving police right now.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The receptionist switched out her busted piece of poo poo chair for one from a conference room that never gets used. Naturally this is an affront to someone's divine right and they loving narced on her in a level of pettiness that makes me understand the people who burn other people alive.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes we've been trying to replace the broken one for months.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

paragon1 posted:

Yes we've been trying to replace the broken one for months.

whenever a chair here breaks, we shove it in the corner of the office in an area dubbed "The Graveyard"

There are currently 14 chairs there.

Management announced that they ended our contract with the support vendor and there will be no more repairs.

e:

Our chairs here were not purchased for their ergonomics. They were purchased because the color matches our (old) company branding.

Years after we purchased them, management learned that they're the wrong chairs to suit our needs and were not meant to be sat in for 8 hours a day. Also despite being $700 chairs, the arms are held on with a single screw into plastic and are always falling off.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 8, 2019

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

paragon1 posted:

I'm working on three hours of sleep and I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the loving police right now.

:hai:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

Years after we purchased them, management learned that they're the wrong chairs to suit our needs and were not meant to be sat in for 8 hours a day. Also despite being $700 chairs, the arms are held on with a single screw into plastic and are always falling off.

It always amazes me how expensive lovely office furniture is. For $700, I can get a brand-new Steelcase Leap chair and be ergo-friendly/comfortable for the next 35 years. Or, for $695.99 I can buy a piece of poo poo that falls apart on its second use and has arms that cause instantaneous tendinitis. :shrug:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Got told I was wayyyy to old to be told not to throw things across open offices

gonna sue these fucks

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

gonna sue these fucks

Sounds like somebody got a case of the Mondays!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

gonna sue these fucks

I wonder how far you can throw whoever told you that. Maybe the office should all give it a shot as a team-building exercise.

Edit: Assuming you weren't throwing scissors or something loving stupid like that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lmfao one of our security guards left his gun and radio on the bathroom counter while he was in the stall. Granted he had the door to the stall open (fixing his pants I guess) but I was able to get in between him and a loaded weapon on my way to take a piss. I should probably tell HR about that right?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

C-Euro posted:

Lmfao one of our security guards left his gun and radio on the bathroom counter while he was in the stall. Granted he had the door to the stall open (fixing his pants I guess) but I was able to get in between him and a loaded weapon on my way to take a piss. I should probably tell HR about that right?

You have armed guards in your bathroom? What the hell do you have in there that needs that kind of protection?

Or do they take enforcing the 'no talking while pissing' rule extremely seriously?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

PA vented about having two jobs and all these invoices not getting approved. Told her about how one of my first propsed project for the new Vendor Oversight team is to basically put together an A/P team to handle invoices, so she'd only have one job again. PA freaked out and came up with all these reasons why it wouldn't work and wouldn't happen. Legitimately freaked out, to the point that she came back 15 minutes later to apologize for yelling.

Really loving this new position, everyone.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If one more person tries to schedule a huge meeting on a day we've already told them is completely booked I'm going to start building drywall.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shut up Meg posted:

You have armed guards in your bathroom? What the hell do you have in there that needs that kind of protection?

Or do they take enforcing the 'no talking while pissing' rule extremely seriously?

We have a contract security force (retired/semi-retired cops) and a metal detector at the employee entrance of our building. We manufacture cosmetics, and not particularly interesting ones at that. But last year a dude barricaded himself and some guns in a mostly-dead strip mall a couple miles from our building and our MAGA-chud CEO thought that was a good pre-text to scan everyone who comes in the side door, although I hadn't noticed the guards carrying guns until a couple weeks ago.

Of course, the front entrance that the VP and C-suite use is very much unguarded and much easier to bust into than the side door so....

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

C-Euro posted:

We have a contract security force (retired/semi-retired cops) and a metal detector at the employee entrance of our building. We manufacture cosmetics, and not particularly interesting ones at that. But last year a dude barricaded himself and some guns in a mostly-dead strip mall a couple miles from our building and our MAGA-chud CEO thought that was a good pre-text to scan everyone who comes in the side door, although I hadn't noticed the guards carrying guns until a couple weeks ago.

Of course, the front entrance that the VP and C-suite use is very much unguarded and much easier to bust into than the side door so....

See, I was being facetious about having someone stand guard inside the bathroom, but the fact that your boss thinks someone might get so angry about blusher that they could go postal just goes to show that truth is funnier than fiction.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Something Offal posted:

40 days of PTO? Do people regularly use the 40 days??

I think I currently get about that with fixed days around certain holidays, and what this has resulted in is most people banking hundreds of hours up to the limit, and the policy pendulum keeps swinging between letting employees just convert the hours into extra paycheck, or just letting the hours expire as employees take vacation just to avoid losing them.

Its a great perk but that much vacation just breaks peoples brains lol

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I get 25 days of PTO off that I can pick. Then because my position is travel based, the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas are always off, and if they fall during the week I get the weeks for July 4th and New Years off. So I am somewhere between 35 to 45 days of PTO off per year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

C-Euro posted:

Our office campus doubles as a dispatch point for local police, and one time as I was walking into the restroom I overheard two cops at urinals talking about how much nicer it is when homeless people physically resist them, because they can just knock them out and throw 'em in a cell instead of having to ~talk~ to them. One even pulled out his nightstick and mimed bashing somebody over the head before turning to his buddy and going "much easier, you know?" At which point they both turned around, saw me - a white guy - and just smiled and greeted me. Oh, they've also hung a thin blue line flag in the hallway.

ACAB :sigh:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

all cops are bastards

But I know I would be too if I constantly had to deal with the worst parts of society I had no hand in creating.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sundae posted:

It always amazes me how expensive lovely office furniture is. For $700, I can get a brand-new Steelcase Leap chair and be ergo-friendly/comfortable for the next 35 years. Or, for $695.99 I can buy a piece of poo poo that falls apart on its second use and has arms that cause instantaneous tendinitis. :shrug:

Yeah but I bet that Steelcase's color doesn't match the company's branding that we plan on changing in a year.

e: I've been at work for 15 minutes and I just switched out my chair because the one I was sitting in was tilting to the left

Another one for the graveyard

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Boiled Water posted:

all cops are bastards

But I know I would be too if I constantly had to deal with the worst parts of society I had no hand in creating.

Imagine all the stupid deadlines and pressure from C levels to do the impossible, except now it's quotas (that we swear don't exist guys) on traffic tickets.

I'm not defending cops, I'm just saying I bet that job will break any human being over time.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, cops don't have many skills that can transfer to other careers. Add in the fact that many of them have defined benefit retirement plans that massively penalize changing employers, and you have a environment where nobody leaves even if they hate the job and are no longer suitable for it. Having some turnover is healthy in any industry, when employees feel they have to stay it ends up being miserable for everyone.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
The war room was dismantled with a slow fizzle yesterday. New PM put their week old box of doughnut holes in the kitchen, as if anyone wants to eat little balls of concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Lysandus posted:

The war room was dismantled with a slow fizzle yesterday. New PM put their week old box of doughnut holes in the kitchen, as if anyone wants to eat little balls of concrete.

So they managed to deploy the heap of untested, rushed crap to prod?