Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I still have the rss feeds of quite a few webcomics in my daily routine. Mostly out of habit. I never get around to cleaning those out.

The most thread appropriate is nukees. Not really recommendable, but at its best it was a slightly inferior version of phd-comics.
The important thing is that while the comic is updated like clockwork several times per week, the rest of the website is not. By this I mean is that the latest newspost is from 2016 and the rest of the site hasn't been changed since 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh lordy
http://hackles.org/cgi-bin/archives.pl?request=62
Most of the stuff they discuss in the first few comics belong in tech relics.

Isn't it weird how most Geek Culture comics have, like, the requisite LINUX/MAC nerdo as a semi-antagonist backup character?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Oh lordy
http://hackles.org/cgi-bin/archives.pl?request=62
Most of the stuff they discuss in the first few comics belong in tech relics.

Isn't it weird how most Geek Culture comics have, like, the requisite LINUX/MAC nerdo as a semi-antagonist backup character?

http://hackles.org/cgi-bin/archives.pl?request=65

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pham Nuwen posted:

got most of the way through Something Positive until I realized how loving insufferable the dialog was

I'm still reading Something Positive. Wow, it's been like eighteen years now. It got weird for a while there with Pepito and the trapdoor gators and the catgirls, but it's settled into a somewhat more realistic groove in recent years.

I heard recently that Sinfest is still going too. I looked in on it, and... yeah, it's changed a WHOLE bunch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If we are still talking about old webcomics, my favorite of all time was Bad Tech. It was a 3D comic about a terrible software development company. I was 11, so I didn't always get all the jokes, but it was still really funny. Then one day it just disappeared and there's literally nothing about it anywhere besides a few forum posts from 2002 of people asking what happened to it. This is the only image I can find that acknowledges its existence:

Pham Nuwen posted:

edit 2: this guy was definitely jerking it to some of the stuff he drew

If you're talking about the CAD guy, he also jerked it to underage girls.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I started reading Questionable Content at around #500 (when Faye revealed her Tragic Backstory) and I never really stopped. It's just kinda been there for years and I never broke the habit. I don't feel strongly about it in either direction.

Aside from manga, I haven't read anything else in years. And occasionally I'll go catch up on several weeks of FoxTrot.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I was into PvP as well, but started to lose interest when Kurtz decided he wanted to try and get the comic into newspapers and become the modern Garfield.

Nobody has ever seen it, and it might be an urban myth, but allegedly somewhere there's a Garfield strip with an actual joke in it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The only good webcomics is Hitmen for Destiny

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Any webcomic released before Homestuck is an irrelevant historical curiosity

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sweevo posted:

Nobody has ever seen it, and it might be an urban myth, but allegedly somewhere there's a Garfield strip with an actual joke in it.

There are actually some decent Garfield strips. Granted, they are very few and very far between. For example, here's four days of Biff, Garfield's college intern, from way back in 1998:

https://www.gocomics.com/garfield/1998/05/04

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Any webcomic released before Homestuck is an irrelevant historical curiosity

You'll have to name them as no-one knows when Homestuck was.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The guy that made this: http://www.fanboys-online.com/index.php?id=2
eventually took the criticisms to heart and actually learned to draw. I always remember that as a cool bit of growth from someone that wasn't Gabe.
The QC guy eventually learned to draw better but you could see the slow evolution over months and weeks.

Cojawfee posted:

Then one day it just disappeared and there's literally nothing about it anywhere besides a few forum posts from 2002 of people asking what happened to it. This is the only image I can find that acknowledges its existence:

The guys that made Buttlord GT had a dumb nerd comic (that weekly) that just totally up and vanished from the world one day. A lot of it was making fun of Tang's Weekly Comics because he said they were terrible once. It was dumb juvenile stuff and I loved it.

It's a shame because their sites housed some decent stuff -- like this comic told in Voice Over about how this guy and his girlfriend get into an angry, ragey shouty fight and have to suffer a car ride in absolute silence. Right as he's mustering up the courage to say something and break the silence, a deer jumps into the road and she swerves. The last page is basically the aftermath of the crash, the narrator noting that it was such a dumb thing to argue over and how you focus on the hate and forget all the time you're wasting by being mad. The girlfriend climbs out, but the dude isn't responsive and the last words are something like "I just wish I had said how much I was sorry... because now I have to wait so, so long". Seems cliche but it really hit home and I was impressed by it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh right, it's more recent, but I was also following Manly Guys Doing Manly Things. The artist stopped in the middle of last year but it had an excellent 8-year run. If they never restart it, I'd be okay with that.

It was actually an honorable mention in some webcomic contest run by The Escapist in 2010. The winning comic was D.O.A. and I never saw it anywhere outside the contest.

The contest winner: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/webcomic/view?id=74357&ix=-1

The one that should have won: http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/02222010

FilthyImp posted:

The guy that made this: http://www.fanboys-online.com/index.php?id=2
eventually took the criticisms to heart and actually learned to draw. I always remember that as a cool bit of growth from someone that wasn't Gabe.
The QC guy eventually learned to draw better but you could see the slow evolution over months and weeks.

I miss Fanboys a lot.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pfft webcomics, real people read Maddox and Acts of Gord :smug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerry Cotton posted:

The only good webcomics is Hitmen for DestinyOglaf

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(the achewood facebook groups contained one specifically for talking about how QC is worthless misogynistic garbage and Jeph should get his hands crushed into powder for writing it)

“You know, I think that’s a little harsh.”

browses over to QC’s current comic

I’ve sure got egg on my face now.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cojawfee posted:

If we are still talking about old webcomics, my favorite of all time was Bad Tech. It was a 3D comic about a terrible software development company. I was 11, so I didn't always get all the jokes, but it was still really funny. Then one day it just disappeared and there's literally nothing about it anywhere besides a few forum posts from 2002 of people asking what happened to it. This is the only image I can find that acknowledges its existence:

I remember it too. There was some character that was always straitjacketed and masked like Hannibal Lector. I can’t imagine how I would have found it except maybe via the Front Page?

DizzyBum posted:

I started reading Questionable Content at around #500 (when Faye revealed her Tragic Backstory) and I never really stopped. It's just kinda been there for years and I never broke the habit. I don't feel strongly about it in either direction.

I gave up after Faye and the mechanic robot started a business.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

https://archive.org/details/BadtechWebComic

Typing "badtech comic" into the Internet Archive brought that up, but having downloaded the zip... it's loving bad. I went about 15 in and he's mostly recycling BOFH jokes.

Edit: This poo poo happens to me all the time, I remember something I liked way back in the early days and I look it up, and it was actually pretty poo poo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Interrupting webcomic chat for a moment with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juRkaqkDfCM

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

https://archive.org/details/BadtechWebComic

Typing "badtech comic" into the Internet Archive brought that up, but having downloaded the zip... it's loving bad. I went about 15 in and he's mostly recycling BOFH jokes.

Edit: This poo poo happens to me all the time, I remember something I liked way back in the early days and I look it up, and it was actually pretty poo poo.

Ah, thanks. At least I can finally get some closure on that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Star Man posted:

Was Sinfest ever bad?

What the gently caress :psyduck:

DizzyBum posted:

:same:, though I went back through the previous strips when I found it. This was in 2006 or so. I think it was at #300-something.

Jerry Cotton posted:

The only good webcomic is A Modest Destiny

Correct!

Edit:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that inner circle includes Ryan North who is probably the biggest legit mainstream success out of that era

Also Ian Jones-Quarterly, the guy behind RPG Comics, who went on to do Steven Universe and Adventure Time. He apparently also worked on The Venture Bros.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Apr 9, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mak0rz posted:

What the gently caress :psyduck:

I'm serious. I don't think it's ever hit some kind of low point where it's just awful poo poo. I think it's just been Tatsuya Ishida trucking along all these years since 2000.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A bunch of people tried to get me to read Sinfest and I just couldn't do it. I don't think I liked a single strip.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jerry Cotton posted:

The only good webcomics is Hitmen for Destiny Targ the Organized Stalking Target

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
G

Oo

D

P

O

St

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

super sweet best pal posted:

It was still a struggle downloading anything more than a couple MB for a lot of people well into the 2000s.

Lest we forget, https://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/daikatana-demo/1/

And hard drive space was an issue too. Even if the bandwidth was there, people would have still needed physical media to store the games on when they weren't playing.

That article reminded me that we used to call bandwidth "webspace"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Afaik web space has always referred to storage space

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And bandwidth was always bandwidth (source: worked at a bandwidth management company 1999-2006)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Data Graham posted:

And bandwidth was always bandwidth (source: worked at a bandwidth management company 1999-2006)

I love that band

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
no mention of bettar than penney arcaed?

https://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/bettarthanpennyarcaded/index-02.htm

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Lowtax had a dumb feud with the PA guys back in the day, and held a grudge about it for years

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sweevo posted:

Lowtax had a dumb feud with the PA guys back in the day, and held a grudge about it for years
He worked with Gabe at Planet(Something) right? Did he steal his donuts one day? Or was it fallout from that adwords-style payment thing that fell apart?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

FilthyImp posted:

Or was it fallout from that adwords-style payment thing that fell apart?

That's the one. SA and PA were both involved with a sleazy dotcom-era ad network called eFront, who collapsed owing site owners tens of thousands of dollars in unpaid ad revenue. eFront sent PA a bunch of fake legal threats to intimidate them. Meanwhile they'd told Lowtax they'd pay him what he was owned if he'd agree to defend eFront on their internal forums, which he did and then they didn't pay him after all. So it was a combination of a bad situation and two guys with a knack for rubbing each other the wrong way.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Apr 9, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Didn't every website owner have a feud with Penny arcade? Seems like every forum I was on was angry because either the Penny arcade dudes or someone from their forums stole something and they all said "lol who cares"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have been mentally conditioned over the past 22 years to continue reading Sluggy Freelance until I die, or Pete Abrams dies...please kill me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cojawfee posted:

Didn't every website owner have a feud with Penny arcade? Seems like every forum I was on was angry because either the Penny arcade dudes or someone from their forums stole something and they all said "lol who cares"

Are you confusing PA with Ebaums World?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I used to read Bob & George which was a Mega Man sprite comic that was supposed to transition into being a regular comic but never did. As far as I can remember there were in fact eventually two characters introduced named Bob and George who were modified Mega Man X sprites, one was like a cool badass and the other was a bland guy, I don't really remember much else. I think the site also hosted "fan comics" which were just other, different mega man sprite comics made by different people, there was one that was a ripoff of Dead Like Me.

oh drat Neglected Mario Characters still exists, and the website is now extremely bizarre and has all these links to pokerlistings.com

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Apr 9, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Are you confusing PA with Ebaums World?

No, ebaums was just Eric bauman stealing everything from the internet. Maybe it was just one community, but someone on the Penny arcade forums stole some art from someone and Gabe and whoever were all "who cares"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

No, ebaums was just Eric bauman stealing everything from the internet.

Flashback time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BijChf8ROJU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

The Penny Arcade guys had their fair share of controversy, but I don't recall this. Just off the top of my head, there was the dickwolves thing and that horrible job listing that basically read "Wanted: One guy to do three jobs. You will run the entire tech side of our operation and are expected to be on call 24/7. We will constantly remind you that you are our bitch and we're going to pay you very little because we don't care about money. At least that's what we like to tell ourselves while we collect huge salaries and buy Mercedes to compensate for being pantsed in gym class 30 years ago. We do have a ping-pong table in the office though (that you probably won't be allowed to touch)."