Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ChaosArgate posted:

To be fair regarding GE’s sensory overload punches, he’s really only gotten to physically attack 3 things after Bruno: Black Sabbath, Baby Face and Ghaccio. 2 of those are stands and its likely that this power doesn’t work on them, going off what happened with Black Sabbath. As for Ghaccio, GE straight up murdered him, so we don’t really get to dwell on Ghaccio’s reaction, but we could probably assume his death was a very long and excruciating one for him to experience.

Also Giorno had GE use it's feet instead of it's hands to finish off Ghiaccio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Monaghan posted:

All of the supporting character stands other than fugo rule

Purple Haze is a way cooler stand than Aerosmith and Fugo got the best expanded universe content in Jojo.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Retromancer posted:

Purple Haze is a way cooler stand than Aerosmith

:wrong: Aerosmith rules and Purple Haze literally drools because it is dumb and bad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Something that's kinda disappointing about La Squadra is that they're cool villains, but they're pretty much "___'s first fight" for a number of them, so half are dead by the time they get to actually start doing things for real.

At least Risotto is still alive, though!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

sirtommygunn posted:

:wrong: Aerosmith rules and Purple Haze literally drools because it is dumb and bad.
I actually think Aerosmith is kinda baaaad.

It allows for so little creativity, it mostly just Shoots which is something Mista already does but Mistas limitations make him look super cool when he fights. Sex Pistols also has the benefit of a cute personality and so by and large I'm just kinda bored during Narancias fights. Narancia making the landing strip with his arms is cure tho.

Purple Haze is cool looking and memorable

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

aerosmith definitely isn't very interesting and it feels like araki designed it purely to use the name sometimes. one stand out of the entire bunch being kinda whatever is pretty good odds, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

sirtommygunn posted:

Purple Haze literally drools

And then it freaks out and has to clean it up. Purple Haze owns.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dragonatrix posted:

And then it freaks out and has to clean it up. Purple Haze owns.

All while making baby noises, he's pretty much the best stand and it's a shame we only got to see him once

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
purple haze rules cause it’s got an actual character (albeit a very simple one)

also gold experience is fine it’s literally hamon but find and replace “sunlight” with “life”

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Purple haze sucks since you can't do anything cool or creative with its power.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I actually think Aerosmith is kinda baaaad.

It allows for so little creativity, it mostly just Shoots which is something Mista already does but Mistas limitations make him look super cool when he fights. Sex Pistols also has the benefit of a cute personality and so by and large I'm just kinda bored during Narancias fights. Narancia making the landing strip with his arms is cure tho.

Purple Haze is cool looking and memorable

Aerosmith's tracking function gets a fair amount of creative use, at least (both in how Narancia uses it and how the villains try to counter it).

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
stand tier list

7. Purple Haze: Only appears once and all it can really do is murder. Bad and poo poo.
6. Gold Experience: Giorno your power is bullshit
5. Spice Girl: It's ok but we saw very little of it.
4. Aerosmith: It's alright, it's mostly about the carbon dioxide radar thing which Narancia usually does something cool with
3. Moody Blues: P cool power but it's not really combat applicable which means it doesn't see much use
2. Sticky Fingers: Rad as hell power, also has the advantage of belonging to Bruno
1. Sex Pistols: Who tf doesn't like sex pistols

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 9, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah the radar and airplaneyness of Aerosmith is the fun part, the guns are basically just its form of ora ora ora.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Sticky Fingers is the best protagonist Stand in Part 5.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sticky fingers is the absolute best since it allows extending punches, hiding from enemies, taking himself apart to fool a stand user, throwing poo poo out of planes and trains etc. There's so much cool poo poo you can do with it. All of these uses are instantly understandable given what sticky fingers powers are.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 9, 2019

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

it's nice to read how much we'll see the different stands throughout the rest of the anime season, here, in the anime thread. Before the season is over

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best stand is Sticky Fingers because it's the stand of the most developed and interesting character of Vento Aureo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mans posted:

The best stand is Mr President because it's the stand of the most developed and interesting character of Vento Aureo

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mans posted:

The best stand is Sticky Fingers because it's the stand of the protagonist of Vento Aureo

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
im just sad for people who have no life and therefore hate GE

SG is my favorite behind SF because not only can you make infinite parachute pants, you also get a kool bestie to kick it with :sparkles: :respek: :byodame:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean no one complained about how poorly defined hermit purple's powers are. It can create photos of people remotely by smashing a camera. Wait, now it can create detailed maps of the surrounding area out of dirt. Wait, it actually just kind of allows you to do remote viewing with any old screen you connect it to. Like it just gets information in a way that's good for the story at the moment. GE does vaguely defined things related to growth and turning inanimate objects into living things. Admittedly GE gets bent and stretched a lot more just because this time we're doing it with the protagonist's stand rather than a secondary character but I really don't think this is really all that different than inconsistencies in other stand powers.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people don't bring up hermit purple because it just does various dumb 'psychic' things every now and then, most of which are fairly worthless, and otherwise just serves as being a weird whip vine kind of thing. it fits the theme of part 3 stands having a lot of themes of supernatural phenomena or horror movies but is otherwise just kinda There.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Glagha posted:

I mean no one complained about how poorly defined hermit purple's powers are. It can create photos of people remotely by smashing a camera. Wait, now it can create detailed maps of the surrounding area out of dirt. Wait, it actually just kind of allows you to do remote viewing with any old screen you connect it to. Like it just gets information in a way that's good for the story at the moment. GE does vaguely defined things related to growth and turning inanimate objects into living things. Admittedly GE gets bent and stretched a lot more just because this time we're doing it with the protagonist's stand rather than a secondary character but I really don't think this is really all that different than inconsistencies in other stand powers.

yeah the difference here is that the emotional payoff of a fight relies on the protagonist's victory feeling earned instead of just convenient for the plot. hermit purple's clairvoyance is the solution to a fight like once and it's mostly comic relief

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

How many times did Hermit purple win a fight by pulling a thing out of it's rear end. Other then maybe the empress fight, it never happened what with Giorno it's happened a couple of times already.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glagha posted:

Hermit Purple is kinda silly when it does weird stuff. GE recovers lost eyes and limbs.

It's a bit different.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Glagha posted:

Gold experience has single-handedly resolved the episode's plot with some bullshit a couple times, hermit purple generally doesn't do that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this comes from someone who enjoys the series a hell of a lot and even spent goddamn money to relabel themselves after a character from it on this forum because their old name had no attachment for them: gold experience is a dumb as hell stand and the sooner someone accepts that the better off they will be

i'm not even saying it as a positive or negative thing in particular. it's just dumb as hell.

https://twitter.com/weedventoaureo/status/737868911908118530

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't mind the bullshit most of the time, it's just when he does things like turning the brooch into a turtle that also has a stand (because he can just give them stands apparently) that it feels contrived. The core concept of Object -> Living thing is pretty consistent otherwise.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Aerosmith is great because Narancia is God's perfect murderous simple boy

He shoots up a street full of cars then pretends he's an aircraft carrier

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
Hey guys I'm like a JoJo newb

Do we know for sure that ☆Stands☆ aren't in some way living?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I would have liked GE better if it just let him be a pet class and we got lots of panels of Giorno doing seductive poses hugging tigers and stuff.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

suicide4sexbots posted:

Hey guys I'm like a JoJo newb

Do we know for sure that ☆Stands☆ aren't in some way living?
i might be misunderstanding the question but they're just physical projections of your own life force and sometimes your projection is a buff guys and sometimes your projection is autonomous and sometimes your projection can get hungry and sometimes your projection has a consciousness and can talk and sometimes your projection is airplanes

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Huh just got to the part, he definitely drank the piss.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

e: Dear christ shut up about spoilers already. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

i might be misunderstanding the question but they're just physical projections of your own life force and sometimes your projection is a buff guys and sometimes your projection is autonomous and sometimes your projection can get hungry and sometimes your projection has a consciousness and can talk and sometimes your projection is airplanes

They're physical projections of your personality more than your life force, really. Early in Part 3 they were implied to be connected to the Ripple somehow, but Araki Forgot (or, more likely, just dropped the idea on purpose).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just thought your Stand was a manifestation of your soul. Thats why when Black Sabbath grabs the old man it gets his soul and when it grabs Giorno it gets his Stand.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Silver2195 posted:

Early in Part 3 they were implied to be connected to the Ripple somehow, but Araki Forgot (or, more likely, just dropped the idea on purpose).

iirc, in the first panel where joseph says "because it stands next to you, we call it STAND!", stand has furigana for "ghost ripple" above it. and then that's never mentioned or implied again

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Silver2195 posted:

They're physical projections of your personality more than your life force, really. Early in Part 3 they were implied to be connected to the Ripple somehow, but Araki Forgot (or, more likely, just dropped the idea on purpose).
In most cases they work as representations of their user but I'm not gonna psychoanalyze every stand user to say it for certain

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

iirc, in the first panel where joseph says "because it stands next to you, we call it STAND!", stand has furigana for "ghost ripple" above it. and then that's never mentioned or implied again

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

OxySnake posted:

Huh just got to the part, he definitely drank the piss.

no it was-

... yeah, he drank the piss. That's how Mafia works.