Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bob Morales posted:

I run irssi in a cheap vps and then just keep it running with screen

Why not just run ZNC on that vps so you can use any client you want anywhere?

I idle forever, pop in and out seamlessly on my phone, iPad and Mac. I always have 1000 lines of buffer on every device. You can even get iOS push notifications somehow.

It’s the irccloud experience for cheapasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
If I have my way, I'm listening to music on my headphones at work all day.

I want my music loud, I do not want email chimes, incoming chats, and phone calls to be as loud. If it matters, audio is going through a USB connected DAC/headphone amp.

Is there something I can use to tweak how loud system sounds are vs. music? Some of the stuff is set to go through my laptop's built-in speakers, but a lot of other app's send sound through to my headphones, which I'd like to have some control over.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

qutius posted:

I want my music loud, I do not want email chimes, incoming chats, and phone calls to be as loud. If it matters, audio is going through a USB connected DAC/headphone amp.

Is there something I can use to tweak how loud system sounds are vs. music? Some of the stuff is set to go through my laptop's built-in speakers, but a lot of other app's send sound through to my headphones, which I'd like to have some control over.

On windows you can do this natively, but on mac or 'nix you'll need a third party tool - something like this should work, it's :10bux:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Broken Machine posted:

On windows you can do this natively, but on mac or 'nix you'll need a third party tool - something like this should work, it's :10bux:

13 bux now...

God dammit

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

qutius posted:

13 bux now...

God dammit

There are some free ones! https://github.com/kyleneideck/BackgroundMusic?ref=producthunt

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

qutius posted:

Use phone for music :shrug:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Turn off all system sounds.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

qutius posted:

I use Boom 3D which is not only an excellent equalizer, but also lets you control individual sounds. I also run my speakers through a DAC and the two work well together.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 2, 2019

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I updated the new safari at some point apparently. Did they remove the ability to cmd+f in private windows? Or am I confused and I was never able to before? I keep on cmd+f'ing and getting frustrated since I can't search on the page.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

XBenedict posted:

I use Boom 3D which is not only an excellent equalizer, but also lets you control individual sounds. I also run my speakers through a DAC and the two work well together.

:same: It's also included in setapp.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Hello macOS brain trust. Long-time mac person here -- started on a IIe at school ("10 PRINT FART / 20 GOTO 10"), my first computer was a PowerPC, and my main machine is a 2013 rMBP which is still an excellent machine. I also have a Watch and airpods. However my last actual computer purchase was a Pixelbook and I just replaced my aging iPhone with an Android device. It's not macOS -- still love that. It's Apple's crufty cloud/services side. I HATE iTunes and find iCloud very underwhelming compared to Google's offerings. And Google Assistant is actually becoming pretty useful. Lastly having to pay a premium for the hardware AND having said hardware tied so closely to crufty software/services was the last straw. I still love Apple but I'm not sure the next time I will buy an iPhone and will probably only use Macs that are paid for through work. Anyone else feeling the same way?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That post hurts my brain to read.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Smashing Link posted:

Hello macOS brain trust. Long-time mac person here -- started on a IIe at school ("10 PRINT FART / 20 GOTO 10"), my first computer was a PowerPC, and my main machine is a 2013 rMBP which is still an excellent machine. I also have a Watch and airpods. However my last actual computer purchase was a Pixelbook and I just replaced my aging iPhone with an Android device. It's not macOS -- still love that. It's Apple's crufty cloud/services side. I HATE iTunes and find iCloud very underwhelming compared to Google's offerings. And Google Assistant is actually becoming pretty useful. Lastly having to pay a premium for the hardware AND having said hardware tied so closely to crufty software/services was the last straw. I still love Apple but I'm not sure the next time I will buy an iPhone and will probably only use Macs that are paid for through work. Anyone else feeling the same way?

:gas: No

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They’re right that Apple’s cloud services are uniformly mediocre though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

I use both cloud services pretty interchangeably on my iPhone XS and pay Google One and 50 gigs of iCloud storage. I haven't used iTunes in 10+ years at this point, and iCloud does what I need it to do - provide easy access to back-ups and restores, quickly sync photos/contacts/calendar between my MacBook, and access my iMessages from anywhere. Google's services might be a little better, but Apple's are "good enough", and they've gotten a lot better about creating nostalgic photo albums and and all that other crap Google/Facebook excel at.

I prefer supporting an ecosystem where app developers can earn a living making paid apps that function well and aren't full of ads or selling your information - Android piracy is so rampant, developers are forced to plaster their apps with ads to make any money.
At the end of the day, "it just works" integration between my MacBook and iPhone are what keep me in the ecosystem. Shortcuts are another recent game-changer that Android lacks - it's amazing how powerful some of the Shortcuts the iOS community has come up with.

I'm pretty jealous of the Pixel's camera, though. Eventually I'll pick one up for work related reasons.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Gay Retard posted:

I use both cloud services pretty interchangeably on my iPhone XS and pay Google One and 50 gigs of iCloud storage. I haven't used iTunes in 10+ years at this point, and iCloud does what I need it to do - provide easy access to back-ups and restores, quickly sync photos/contacts/calendar between my MacBook, and access my iMessages from anywhere. Google's services might be a little better, but Apple's are "good enough", and they've gotten a lot better about creating nostalgic photo albums and and all that other crap Google/Facebook excel at.

I prefer supporting an ecosystem where app developers can earn a living making paid apps that function well and aren't full of ads or selling your information - Android piracy is so rampant, developers are forced to plaster their apps with ads to make any money.
At the end of the day, "it just works" integration between my MacBook and iPhone are what keep me in the ecosystem. Shortcuts are another recent game-changer that Android lacks - it's amazing how powerful some of the Shortcuts the iOS community has come up with.

I'm pretty jealous of the Pixel's camera, though. Eventually I'll pick one up for work related reasons.

The "just works" part is why I moved my parents to Mac/iOS years ago and it still applies. It made switching my dad to a new iMac a total breeze just a couple weeks ago. He also doesn't care about spending a few hundred bucks more for the hardware every 3-5 years, so at least I will get to keep a close eye on any improvements in software/services coming up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use iTunes for hours every day on both a Mac and Win10, with a 95,000 or so song library through Match and still fail to see why people complain about it so much. The only true PITA about it is if you still need to sync your phone for whatever reason and it decides it just doesn’t want to. Match stopped that for me, so eh.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first release of iTunes was the best, and every subsequent one made it worse

1.0 and its relational-database interface was a loving revelation in a world where "organizing your music" meant filling up folders full of ungainly numerically-sorted filenames (like iTunes does under the hood) and stuff like compilation albums or searching by composer was just impossible

I'm being somewhat facetious, Smart Playlists and other later features that leveraged the database underpinnings were similarly amazing, but it seems like everything after that has been an attempt to bury that functionality where no one will ever find it ever again, to the point where I simply stopped caring about music rather than try to keep up with the paradigm

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use iTunes for hours every day on both a Mac and Win10, with a 95,000 or so song library through Match and still fail to see why people complain about it so much. The only true PITA about it is if you still need to sync your phone for whatever reason and it decides it just doesn’t want to. Match stopped that for me, so eh.

Likewise across like 5 machines and 2 devices. Works like an absolute champ.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

My problem with it is that it didn't seem to sync across devices for last played times. I would play a song on my iPhone, and hours later my iTunes on my computer didn't see that the song was played that day. All my playlists are based on the last play time, so it was quickly refunded.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m signed into iCloud with my iPhone and MacBook so WiFi networks are synced. That’s great but I want my iPhone to always join WifiX and my MacBook to always join WifiY. Is there a way to do that? Connecting to one network on one device forces the other to connect to the same it seems.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m signed into iCloud with my iPhone and MacBook so WiFi networks are synced. That’s great but I want my iPhone to always join WifiX and my MacBook to always join WifiY. Is there a way to do that? Connecting to one network on one device forces the other to connect to the same it seems.

What OS are you running on your devices? I remember our Apple SE at work saying there was a bug in earlier versions of iOS and macOS. I thought he said they finally fixed that in 10.13.5 or 10.13.6 though.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Because it ridiculously fragile and will happily break in a myriad of different ways that cannot be examined, analysed, and rectified because of how opaque and non-communicative it is, and in spite of this, it is highly lacking in features and customisation options — it only ever does its thing based on unknown assumptions and parameters that must be met or the aforementioned breakage will ensue.

It is also an absolute antique in how it handles any kind of distributed or shared setup, which is rather ridiculous in a modern networked, multi-device, multi-platform environment. It has some very simplistic sharing functionality but is at its heart not able to actually… well… share the library — only serve clients through a highly sluggish and inefficient client-server:ish method from the last century.

Its only saving grace is that it's semi-competent in handling and occasionally even respecting meta-data, as opposed to such utterly idiotic solutions as PLEX's enforced naming scheme and mindbendingly stupid logic for “automating” (i.e. creating exponentially more work for the user) how content should be grouped and categorised.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 6, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Heads up to the other 2 people who rip CDs still with iTunes. The latest update seems to have changed MP3 ripping so everything is 160 kbps. Thankfully I only ripped one CD before I caught it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

IUG posted:

Heads up to the other 2 people who rip CDs still with iTunes. The latest update seems to have changed MP3 ripping so everything is 160 kbps. Thankfully I only ripped one CD before I caught it.

Partying like it's 1999 :dance:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Use XLD.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

IUG posted:

Mine shows under Import Settings that Higher Quality is now 192 kbps. High Quality is 160 kbps.

However, I had mine already set to Custom at 320 kbps and it still shows that for ripping in stereo. Guess I'll have to try it see if it holds.

Why does Apple do stupid poo poo like this, are they loving stupid or are they just trying to force us to buy their "high quality" 256 kbps AAC music from the iTunes Store?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
256 aac is extremely high quality

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Green initiative, conserving precious bits

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

American McGay posted:

256 aac is extremely high quality

Not really, no.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I do, but when something is already in iTunes and I want to rip-and-replace it, then I use iTunes. Rather than moving files after the fact.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lambert posted:

Not really, no.
Yeah really, yes.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

American McGay posted:

Yeah really, yes.

Not really, no.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lambert posted:

Not really, no.

https://cdvsmp3.wordpress.com/cd-vs-itunes-plus-blind-test-results/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lambert posted:

Not really, no.

LOL

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

Not really, no.

You would fail a double blind test, zero question.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

So, what you're saying is that it's "adequate quality", not "really high quality".

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone prefer either Alfred 3 or Launchbar? I used Quicksilver years and years ago but switched to regular Spotlight when it got fast enough in like 10.9 or whatever it was. But I do a lot of repetitive file moving, copying, browsing, etc. and looking at these launcher feature sets it looks like they might be a nice improvement to my workflow.

Edit: Trying Alfred and wow is it fast and the preferences are super vast.

Violator fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 9, 2019

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lambert posted:

So, what you're saying is that it's "adequate quality", not "really high quality".

Oh you're one of those. Double blind tests exist showing that it's mostly impossible for humans to discriminate between properly mastered CD-DA (44.1k / 16-bit PCM) and any higher resolution format. There's a mild argument for bumping sampling frequency to maybe 64k or so, but mostly to make certain kinds of DSP manipulation easier, not because you strongly need to capture frequencies up to 30kHz.

96k/192k is silly stuff, unless for some reason you have a burning desire to, I dunno, play back recordings of bat echolocation chirps (to bats, who can actually hear them (unlike humans)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Violator posted:

Anyone prefer either Alfred 3 or Launchbar?

I like and use Launchbar but if somebody secretly changed my keybinds back to Spotlight it would take me a few days to notice. I only use it for App launching.