Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm glad that the GOP finally understood what "expert witness" means and brought a bunch of white nationalists to their white nationalist hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Also "he can't be a white nationalist, he's Jewish" is really irritating

Jews are white in some contexts, and not in others. It's not simple, but it's not hard to accept.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Jews are white in some contexts, and not in others. It's not simple, but it's not hard to accept.

Wish someone reminded Mort about all those forced sterilizations Israel did to Ethiopian Jews.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm glad that the GOP finally understood what "expert witness" means and brought a bunch of white nationalists to their white nationalist hearing.

fuckin' got'em.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

luxury handset posted:

i don't think candace owens is stupid, but i do think she is shockingly ill informed on everything she perceives. like some kind of diagnosable inability to link cause and effect

theflyingorc posted:

I'm also really getting tired of Diamond and Silk's lack of understanding of how Facebook works being actually treated as evidence that they're being targeted

What if, rather than merely being stupid and uninformed, these people are actually maliciously spreading lies? After all, they've built their entire careers around being right-wing propagandists.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1115639577102962691

White supremacist defends his shite supremacist buddy.

Reminder that the guy who actually wrote the article calling Miller a white supremacist is Jewish.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

candace owens actually is stupid (as is charlie kirk). i know we all hate greenwald but he was right when he said "they're stupid" is far too underused an explanation.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
what the hell is this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Stephen Miller will probably be on a national GOP ticket within 10 years or so.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

what the hell is this

This is America.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh no, the most violent of actions, disinvitation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mcmagic posted:

Not at the rate he's aging. Cryptkeeper for President isn't a good look.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I legitimately thought he was mocking her to start with, when he repeatedly pointed out that everyone else had a real job and she was a conservative commentator

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mcmagic posted:

nah. he will be a rodger stone behind the scenes type monster. he has negative charisma for public facing politics.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Where does Nielsen go next? Some cushy gig at the Heritage Foundation?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
On the subject of white nationalists, the person vandalizing lots of stuff in Oklahoma with nazi poo poo got caught. You guys could probably use a chuckle:

quote:

At one point, Johnson asked the judge to explain the count of malicious intimidation or harassment. In the count, Johnson is accused of "maliciously defacing the driveway belonging to James Galey and Conrad Galey, with the specific intent to intimidate James Galey and Conrad Galey because of their native origin."

"That's just crazy," Johnson replied. "I just put a ... swastika ... ."

The judge abruptly interrupted Johnson and encouraged her not to "speak about what you did" because "it might hurt you or incriminate you."

:qq: it was just a swastika :qq:

https://newsok.com/article/5628133/graffiti-vandal-wanted-to-scare-jewish-people-also-hit-two-churches

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 9, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Sure there are Nazis but when you get right down to it the left are the real problem and conservatives never said a bad thing ever"

EDIT: Also I probably missed it but so far all of the minority congresspeople in this committee are Democrats, aren't they.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

So what you're saying is that nobody in congress was calling out the Nazis in power before Omar got there?! Excuse me while I donate more to her.

Unrelated but happy tax season

https://mobile.twitter.com/JustinElliott/status/1115582655146463233

Once again America goes out of it's way to suck rear end because our politicans are bought and paid for.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

It's seen as a win for their side by their side. To anyone else it either sounds like gibberish or obvious right wing hate speech. Also, you have to be extremely tuned in to be aware of this hearing.

It muddies the waters for younger people and people who genuinely don't know the history. You tell a high schooler "hey Democrats founded the KKK," show them the proof of that, only, and then say "and now they claimed the parties switched sides but they really didn't - they're just telling black people they can't amount to anything without handouts to keep them down" - they can grow up to believe that unless they're given the actual facts by someone down the line.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah. he will be a rodger stone behind the scenes type monster. he has negative charisma for public facing politics.

Counterpoint. They elected Ted Cruz. Twice.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can be profoundly stupid and still be a grifter. dave rubin is very very very dumb and doesn't really believe in anything but has a massive grift going. charlie kirk likely believes the poo poo he spews out and he is a dumbass.

the problem is always that it's hard to fathom how people believe things so counter to observable reality but there are tens of millions of them that legitimately do.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

What if, rather than merely being stupid and uninformed, these people are actually maliciously spreading lies? After all, they've built their entire careers around being right-wing propagandists.

this assumes there's no space for people to sincerely advocate a bad position out of a skewed worldview, and reduces people to simply being ignorant or liars. i believe the breadth of human possibility is larger than that, and that people can genuinely believe very dumb things which have at least some internal logic even if these ideas require a strong denial of factual reality to continue

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I really don't like throwing this word around because the connotation is vile, but if there is a true definition of "Nazi Collaborator" it's definitely Miller and Zeldin, and sure as hell ain't the billionaire Holocaust survivor

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

MSNBC or CNN is my bet.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

The best example in current relevancy:

Bernie would no longer be white in the general election, he'd be the most Jewish person ever because the right would amplify his non-whiteness for fear mongering.

But in his day to day life, he's generally seen by the average person as white and benefits from being seen as that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

this assumes there's no space for people to sincerely advocate a bad position out of a skewed worldview, and reduces people to simply being ignorant or liars. i believe the breadth of human possibility is larger than that, and that people can genuinely believe very dumb things which have at least some internal logic even if these ideas require a strong denial of factual reality to continue

I have a hard time thinking Candace Owens is just playing a joke when she claims that the Southern Strategy wasn't real, and that conservatives aren't the real racists because they treat her nice when she says the things they want to hear from her.

EDIT: Like I feel genuinely uncomfortable going after her like this but her rhetoric is damaging as gently caress because it allows racists to cover their rear end being like "I'm not being racist, Candace Owens said this too!" I mean yeah, an argument where someone goes "this one person said the opposite of all the other data" is not a real argument but good luck convincing the people who do that of that.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 9, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

haveblue posted:

There is no way the redactions aren't just going to raise further questions, and Trump will continue to be mad that no one is buying the "this totally exonerates me" poo poo.

This is actually one of the funny things about redactions - they draw attention to a document because you get to play "ooooh what juicy details are hidden?" Text says what it says but redactions could be anything, better have fifty news panels speculating about what it says under the black bars!

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody would loving know stephen miller is jewish if these assholes weren't all whining about it.

And here I thought he was Catholic.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Radish posted:

Once again America goes out of it's way to suck rear end because our politicans are bought and paid for.

I don't use it, but it's hilariously easy to pirate, and it should be encouraged, especially if this comes to pass.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Radish posted:

MSNBC or CNN is my bet.

Well I think she'll be the next president of the DNC.

Did I do it guys??? Did I win the cynicism olympics?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mcmagic posted:

Counterpoint. They elected Ted Cruz. Twice.

counterpoint. cruz at least has a slimy charisma, miller has loving negative charisma.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody would loving know stephen miller is jewish if these assholes weren't all whining about it.

I had no idea he was Jewish, he's still a loving douchebag though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Well, I don't use them, but what she's ignoring is that those critiques are coming from other black people, who can use them

She uses that as a rhetorical trick to act like it's all white people using the N word at her. It isn't.

People like that never counter us when we call them out on their coonery/Uncle Tom-ery/etc. (I *can* say that as it has a specific usage for us that has nothing to do with degenerating someone *because* of their race), because they know goddamn well we can actually draw from our personal and familial history to show them exactly why they're wrong. When our parents were literally alive during Jim Crow and we saw how poverty created by that affected our family and neighbors on a generational level, they know they can't get away with the same rhetoric.

On social media of people I actually know, I always stuck people in those traps, where they go to the "black people are not successful because of victim mentality" arguments.

- They make that argument
- I say "I'm pretty successful, but I know it's pretty much luck of the draw and I could have easily failed or been dead if one thing went wrong"
- They counter with, "no youre (one of the good ones) someone who actually applied yourself" and worked hard
- I say, I worked hard, but grew up with people who worked twice as hard as me who hit one piece of bad luck out of their control, and they're dead now. Wouldn't you like to create conditions where more people get more chances for good luck so they can end up like me as opposed to my dead friends?

Then you get radio silence.

That's why people like Owens only speak this stuff where they can't be immediately countered by another black person's experience most of the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bubbacub posted:

Some "security consulting" firm that charges school divisions five figures for nonsense lockdown training.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

News: New York State just declared a medical emergency regarding measles and made vaccinations mandatory

Views: good

This is awesome and if Massachusetts didn't have a goddamn Republican governor I feel like they'd have already followed suit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bubbacub posted:

Cato Institute, of all places, is calling for a boycott of anywhere that employs her.

quote:

“It’s frustrating watching people who do evil with official sanction welcomed back into polite society, as though the infliction of suffering is just another fascinating life experience, and the defense of pointless cruelty one more interesting perspective to engage,” Julian Sanchez, a senior fellow at the libertarian Cato Institute who signed the letter, tells me. “If someone caged children as a hobby, they’d rightly be treated like a goddamn pariah by everyone. If you make it a vocation, you can look forward to a [Harvard] Kennedy School chair. It’s diseased, and I don’t want to play along.”

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/9/18300584/kirstjen-nielsen-secretary-homeland-security-boycott

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

twice burned ice posted:

Well I think she'll be the next president of the DNC.

Did I do it guys??? Did I win the cynicism olympics?

CNN put a Trump Justice Department official and GOP operative with no journalistic experience in charge of their political coverage and you think I'm being cynical?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1115647487346237440

Gohmert by the way

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This is awesome and if Massachusetts didn't have a goddamn Republican governor I feel like they'd have already followed suit.

I thought there was like 1 case in Massachusetts last week and not the hundreds that are clustering in NY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the structure of House proceedings, but is there any point at which the rise in white nationalism and the uptick in hate crimes is actually going to be loving addressed?