Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

Clean and polish Alaskan Oil Pipeline at visitor viewing

This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Shut up Meg posted:

https://www.wd40.com/img/WD-40_2000_uses.pdf

See what the dumbest uses you can find are. Here are some to start you off:

Keep snake and reptile skins pliable in taxidermy
Lubricates rusted umbrellas
Spray on sticky toilet paper rollers to make replacing a roll much easier.

Hey bill, people are asking "yeah but what can I use this for" maybe we should actually come up with a few ways.

Great let's have a meeting and decide on a few!

*30 minutes later*
Let's ask customers!

Okay so I wasn't paying attention but let's put all of that in there and at the end ask customers to mail in any other uses and then add them to the list!

There's stuff on there that are way too specific for this to have gone down any other way.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Are there any good internet radios that exist, or is everything now a smart speaker that you have to talk to? I'd like to get something for my parents as a gift but voice control is not going to work for them.

I have three GGMM E3 speakers in the house. They do Bluetooth, aux, and WiFi. The app sucks but I was able to save my 6 favorite stations on the units so I don't need my phone to play WiFi radio. It takes about 30-45 seconds to boot and connect to WiFi. Bluetooth and aux are pretty basic. Good sound, too.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Shut up Meg posted:

:stare: K-Keep posting Meg

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

pixaal posted:

Hey bill, people are asking "yeah but what can I use this for" maybe we should actually come up with a few ways.

Great let's have a meeting and decide on a few!

*30 minutes later*
Let's ask customers!

Okay so I wasn't paying attention but let's put all of that in there and at the end ask customers to mail in any other uses and then add them to the list!

There's stuff on there that are way too specific for this to have gone down any other way.

"Let's ask customers" is a way to get responses you absolutely didn't need to know existed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Not so much pissing me off as baffling me.

We have a fair number of vendor-supplied machines that come with the following configuration:

Workstation class tower
1 256GB SSD
2 2TB platter drives

These are configured like so:

RAID 1 - the 2 2TB drives
RAID 0 - the single, solitary 256GB SSD

That's just Marketing wanting to say it's a fully RAID-enabled system, right ?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well if you parse out the RAID acronym it's impossible for a single disk to qualify as RAID, so yes, it's stupid marketing speak.

But lol at buying 256gb and 2tb drives in 2019. Are these kiosks?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Shut up Meg posted:

no joke, wd40 reconditions whiteboards better than the stuff Expo sells to do just that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I used to use electrical contact cleaner on lots of things but it hosed up pretty much all plastic it came into contact with, so I don't do that anymore.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

Well if you parse out the RAID acronym it's impossible for a single disk to qualify as RAID, so yes, it's stupid marketing speak.

But lol at buying 256gb and 2tb drives in 2019. Are these kiosks?

I put 256gb nvme drives in our standard most departments barely went above 100GB in windows 7 and 8. Theres a few exceptions which mostly get told to use network shares. I have a few 512 and a single 1tb nvme in circulation because they actually need local disk.

Unless you mean holy crap they put the OS on a mechanical drive and why would you even buy mechanical local storage.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

I used to use electrical contact cleaner on lots of things but it hosed up pretty much all plastic it came into contact with, so I don't do that anymore.

Bonus points, some of the older formulations will also set off the sensors at the airport.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Can you huff WD40? If so I've got some cans of liquid gold laying around

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Scaramouche posted:

Can you huff WD40? If so I've got some cans of liquid gold laying around

you can huff anything if you believe in yourself

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Peachfart posted:

I know, the problem is that people use it as a lubricant because it is in a spray bottle and easy to use, and(worst of all) it is marketed as a lubricant. However it does a poor job of lubricating, evaporates quickly, and has a poor temperature range.

I mostly just point out that it is a "light" lubricant because it does leave a residue and if someone goes around spraying it on everything like "it's just a water displacement formula!!" then it's gonna gunk up a bunch of poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pixaal posted:

I put 256gb nvme drives in our standard most departments barely went above 100GB in windows 7 and 8. Theres a few exceptions which mostly get told to use network shares. I have a few 512 and a single 1tb nvme in circulation because they actually need local disk.

Unless you mean holy crap they put the OS on a mechanical drive and why would you even buy mechanical local storage.

Well the way I see it SSD's are the greatest performance improvement to workstations in at least a decade. Putting the OS and every program possible on it makes for happy users.

I guess there's a valid argument that local home directories don't NEED to be SSD and a raid 1 mirror gives some handy defense against hard drive failures so 256gb is technically enough, but given the price of 1tb ssd's at this point I'd buy two of them and mirror those.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
poo poo pissing me off: finding an external site that’s using an unknown version of ColdFusion that hasn’t been maintained in several years but is being used to hold customer information. The only documentation was the customer login with the hosting provider..

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xzzy posted:

Well the way I see it SSD's are the greatest performance improvement to workstations in at least a decade. Putting the OS and every program possible on it makes for happy users.

I guess there's a valid argument that local home directories don't NEED to be SSD and a raid 1 mirror gives some handy defense against hard drive failures so 256gb is technically enough, but given the price of 1tb ssd's at this point I'd buy two of them and mirror those.

Yup. OS and apps on the SSD. Instrument data gets saved to the platter drives before archiving on a network share. This is an actually reasonable setup for our use case, other than the 1 disk RAID 0 set. Before anyone else gets too into that one, have a truly unreasonable purchase.

Most of our building lobbies have a 4-screen display set up in the waiting area that run fairly normal and boring slideshows from Corporate Communications. One of my buddies in IT gets to spec out all the exception requests for hardware. A lot of it is fun stuff, like Computational Biology needs a machine with 1 TB RAM and an ungodly amount of high-end CPUs. CorpCom asked him for machines to drive those 4-display setups. He comes back with our standard HP USDT machine with a cheap video card to get it up to 4 video ports. We have parts for these, we can hot swap them, we get fantastic pricing on HP hardware, we have a good image for them.

What they actually buy:

Some slick motherfucker sells them on a solution built around HP Z230 or Z240 workstations with something like an Nvidea K600 in it with 4 mini-Display Port connectors.

Why is mllaneza posting this if the salesperson just upsold them to a workstation class machine ? I'm glad you asked !

They sold them one Z-series workstation per display. That's a mini rack of 4 workstations in a poorly ventilated closet off the lobby in at least 10 buildings (I've replaced fans in two of these). Let's do the math. The Z-series has a VGA and 2 DisplayPort connections. The video card adds 4 miniDP for a total of 7 video ports per workstation, or 24 unused video ports per building.

The vendor also shipped these machines with HP's OEM Win7 Pro image. Totally unmanaged, not on the domain, we don't have admin, and of course it's EOS in January. It does have an AV solution, SEP. I know this because every week or so I see a screen in a lobby with an SEP alert complaining about the lovely value-add software they use to update the slideshows.

I'd love to shake that salesperson's hand, but I'd count my fingers afterwards.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Not so much pissing me off as baffling me.

We have a fair number of vendor-supplied machines that come with the following configuration:

Workstation class tower
1 256GB SSD
2 2TB platter drives

These are configured like so:

RAID 1 - the 2 2TB drives
RAID 0 - the single, solitary 256GB SSD

That's just Marketing wanting to say it's a fully RAID-enabled system, right ?

I don't fucks wit RAID, but two possibilities occur to my near-layman's eye:

1: Their provisioning process is automated to set RAID 0 on the primary drives. If there happens to be two, great. If there's one, that's still fine. poo poo compiles, it runs, they call it a day.

2: The SSD is being driven by the hardware RAID controller. For whatever reason, this controller isn't configurable with a pass-through and the workaround is that you just put individual disks on their own RAID. I would have supposed that RAID 1 made sense in this arrangement but I guess RAID 0 comes first, alphabetically.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Completely random but this pops up in this industry constantly.

Deprecation != depreciation.

Functionality is deprecated, not depreciated.

They are two different words and they are pronounced differently.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
my computer keeps loosing connection

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

duffmensch posted:

poo poo pissing me off: finding an external site that’s using an unknown version of ColdFusion that hasn’t been maintained in several years but is being used to hold customer information. The only documentation was the customer login with the hosting provider..

Enjoy your new Macromedia ColdFusion MX 2004 site hosted on IIS 5.0 and backed by an Access 97 data store that has a password no one can recall. A majestic beast.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: First two days at work and some jackass is coming in sick and risking getting everyone else sick.

Pissing me off more: that jackass is me, because I can’t miss my first two days of work.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
When I was in Michigan and finally got job after being unemployed for like 8 months, I got sick in my first week. It was inevitable because I had basically not left the house while unemployed, and before that was working remotely, and suddenly I'm in a cubicle farm environment at the tail end of winter.

Thankfully 1) Insurance kicked in day 1, and 2) They were super understanding, because I have loving horrible lungs and this always spirals out of control....I ended up with really serious pneumonia and missed my entire second week of work :ohdear:

For all the flaws that company had, at least they were incredibly sympathetic and didn't even ding me for the time, just said take your laptop home and read documentation and poo poo as you're able, these things happen.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

Enjoy your new Macromedia ColdFusion MX 2004 site hosted on IIS 5.0 and backed by an Access 97 data store that has a password no one can recall. A majestic beast.
I’m so triggered because you’ve just described our facilities request system.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Blue Moonlight posted:

You’re not too far off the mark :sad: I’m tempted to run a vulnerability scan on it to show them just how exposed we were, but I’m busy securing the data and bringing it in-house.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

duffmensch posted:

You’re not too far off the mark :sad: I’m tempted to run a vulnerability scan on it to show them just how exposed we were, but I’m busy securing the data and bringing it in-house.

It wouldn't surprise me if it does quasi-okay, CF never had that much traction to be a vuln target as opposed to say, Wordpress.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

When I was in Michigan and finally got job after being unemployed for like 8 months, I got sick in my first week. It was inevitable because I had basically not left the house while unemployed, and before that was working remotely, and suddenly I'm in a cubicle farm environment at the tail end of winter.

Thankfully 1) Insurance kicked in day 1, and 2) They were super understanding, because I have loving horrible lungs and this always spirals out of control....I ended up with really serious pneumonia and missed my entire second week of work :ohdear:

For all the flaws that company had, at least they were incredibly sympathetic and didn't even ding me for the time, just said take your laptop home and read documentation and poo poo as you're able, these things happen.

Makes me sick to think there’s a company out there what would fire you for being sick :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This mirrors my experience with my current employer.

I was out for 3 weeks of my first month for emergency surgery. Everyone was super understanding and I just worked from home for the 1 hour a day I could focus between the pain and the meds.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Partycat posted:

Makes me sick to think there’s a company out there what would fire you for being sick :v:

Well, never come to the US then. :v:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, never come to the US then. :v:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
One of my employees texted me about three hours late this morning saying he'd overslept.

This is the 17th time this year. Sigh.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tactlessbastard posted:

One of my employees texted me about three hours late this morning saying he'd overslept.

This is the 17th time this year. Sigh.

It's the 15th week of the year. Dude has a problem.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Paul ReiserFS posted:

It's the 15th week of the year. Dude has a problem.

He's probably back on cocaine

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tactlessbastard posted:

He's probably back on cocaine

back on

:chanpop:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
pissing me off: having to wear headphones literally all day because nobody in this office has an inside voice and open floor plans are a cool and good thing

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Not sure if pissing me off or not: My boss quit this morning out of nowhere :psyduck:

Woke up to an invite timestamped 7am central that we had an emergency meeting at 10am eastern....I roll in at 10:30, so I missed all of this.

It's been weird. We had a team lead quit two weeks ago, so just a few days ago we had another ambiguous meeting (can't they just tell us what it's about? or why can't it be an email to just our team instead of a meeting?) announcing our current team lead was moving over to take that team instead, and our "engineering manager" was moving down to be our team lead and "not doing as much managing anymore". He's also been acting weird for a couple weeks, so I wish I had put some money on him quitting soon.

So I guess it's pissing me off that there's currently chaos, and this is like the fifth time I've been stuck in this musical chairs shuffle (this is my second time having Jon as my team lead, actually, making him both my second and seventh lead in a year).

But....it's not pissing me off because I think I'm going to have a conversation with our department head who announced he's interviewing to fill in the now two missing team lead roles (conveniently I'll be at HQ next week to do this face to face, since I do worry sometimes that my being remote puts me at a political disadvantage).

This same thing happened last year, and that's when two of my former teammates moved up, a little over a year after joining the company. I just passed the 1 year mark in January, so the timing seems ok. I have a lot of questions about time commitment and if I'd have to travel more (I'm already long since over having to travel to Nashville quarterly), but I actually wouldn't mind focusing more on organization and efficiency to fix a lot of flaws I've noticed.

E:

Comradephate posted:

and open floor plans are a cool and good thing

I despise this whenever I have to travel to HQ. What's funny is everyone also bitches about not having enough quiet time to focus without people pestering or distracting them constantly....but they say they'd hate having anything but an open plan. THESE ARE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE CONCEPTS. I also constantly feel like people are watching over my shoulder and making note of every time I struggle with my work, definitely does not help the imposter syndrome to not have a safe space to fail in privately.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 10, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There seems to be a push from companies now all bringing out headsets with open plan offices being the focus - so they are Bluetooth for listening to music, noise cancelling and also work with your phone or whatever.

Such a poo poo state that we got to where to get anything done in an office you need to deprive yourself of being able to hear anything, but that's where we are.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If no one can hear each other over the noise what is the advantage of open office? The entire point is to collaborate.

Save money on cubicles? Well you now need to buy everyone headphones so they can shut out the background. This can't be cheaper.

I've never worked anywhere with an open office, applied to a few. Not sure I'd even want to at this point I think it'd be a massive negative almost as big as 24/7 on call. It'd just going to piss me off every single day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's good when the open office gets a bit distracting so people put on some poo poo commercial radio station with a playlist about 12 songs long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I despise this whenever I have to travel to HQ. What's funny is everyone also bitches about not having enough quiet time to focus without people pestering or distracting them constantly....but they say they'd hate having anything but an open plan. THESE ARE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE CONCEPTS. I also constantly feel like people are watching over my shoulder and making note of every time I struggle with my work, definitely does not help the imposter syndrome to not have a safe space to fail in privately.
I used to work in A/V, and I'd never thought about it before, but having to troubleshoot projectors and computers in front of auditoriums full of people really completely removed any self-consciousness about this from me. It was either get over it fast, or have a mental breakdown, I suppose.