Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MrYenko posted:

Two cats is the crazy cat person starter kit.

Nah a pair of cats is healthy for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, once I move I'm going to get a second cat.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, once I move I'm going to get a twenty-second cat.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I have 7.

1 has FIV and is afraid of the outdoors after getting beaten up by real alley cats and had an abscess that went to his skull on his head after his second walk about. Manuka honey to keep it healthy, time, and good fortune has him doing ok.

3 of them are kids of a 4th who we brought in before she gave birth and couldn’t place them. All girls and each has a distinct personality. Of course the mom has bonded to me and me alone.

1 was like a week old when we got him and had to bottle feed him. No one wanted him when we could try to rehome him, now he’s older, obese, and lazy as gently caress. So we keep him.

1 was a stray kitten that my sister brought home one day and never loving left. She’s a year old now and totally self absorbed. This was when I accepted that we where a crazy cat family and just let it be.

On the plus side there’s 5 adults and a large house for them with plenty of room for them to hide in and get alone time or be a colony together with as the mood strikes. They get attention when they want it, food when they need it, and various toys and perches and boxes to keep themselves busy. And someone is always home and awake for them.

On the down side I loving hate emptying the loving kitty litter multiple times a week. We’re limited as to where we can practically keep the litters so opt for more frequent changes. Also the vet is able to afford a boat and named it after my cats so there’s that too.

Wouldn’t change my situation for anything in the world. I love my cats.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He says, as a T. gondii carrier :v:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We ended up with 2 more pets when we were talking at a social function about our Vet bill (our rescue had Lyme- we had no clue. :( ) and a foaf gave us two Sugar Gliders and everything with them.
Now-
2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, two birds, three fish, a bunny, and two Sugar gliders. We are still getting goats and chickens.

I wanted some alpaca, but my wife said she will not have an alpaca named Corndog, so it's none, because that is a great name.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

When I have a house that can support it, I’m getting Lando a buddy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah we got a second one after my wife and I moved in together to keep her cat company. Two cats doing zoomies and ninja kickflips is far more fun than one as well.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

I wanted some alpaca, but my wife said she will not have an alpaca named Corndog, so it's none, because that is a great name.

Wife wants an alpaca (or several) but since we live in town, no dice. But holy gently caress, that will have to be the best name ever.

Already named one of our chickens "Cluckface". I had to clean up my original version a little.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We have a dog and some fishes and it’s more than enough for me. I’m never living without a dog again,

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Brute Squad posted:

Remember all that talk about working with the British coalition troops?

Six soldiers have been arrested over an alleged sex assault on a female soldier
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47837499

The army has prepared a response.

https://twitter.com/David_Rudnick/status/1114823259810357249

Comes from the right place, but it's missing the mark a bit. Australia did it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRQBtDtZTGA

every time i hear this video mentioned i have to watch the whole thing. general morrison owns and i wonder sometimes if max isn't his dog or something, would explain the stare

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MrUnderbridge posted:

Wife wants an alpaca (or several) but since we live in town, no dice. But holy gently caress, that will have to be the best name ever.

Already named one of our chickens "Cluckface". I had to clean up my original version a little.

Cluckface is loving great.
I also pitched an Emu named cheeseburger, and a possum named Frank.

I forgot the 'other' pet. The same Chipmunk (I think its the same) has been on my house long enough that I named him Charlie. We don't see him much, and can't find evidence of his stash or home, so I think he keeps coming in the dog door to steal food, and gets stuck for a bit.

We had a sick bat for four days that I named Leroy.

I hate people, but animals loving rule.
Even if I get my hands eaten by a chimp.
Especially if I get my hands eaten by a chimp.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

bulletsponge13 posted:

Cluckface is loving great.
I also pitched an Emu named cheeseburger, and a possum named Frank.

I forgot the 'other' pet. The same Chipmunk (I think its the same) has been on my house long enough that I named him Charlie. We don't see him much, and can't find evidence of his stash or home, so I think he keeps coming in the dog door to steal food, and gets stuck for a bit.

We had a sick bat for four days that I named Leroy.

I hate people, but animals loving rule.
Even if I get my hands eaten by a chimp.
Especially if I get my hands eaten by a chimp.

I have a group of squirrels that I've more or less adopted and can recognize by fur color, tail bushiness, etc. They don't eat out of my hand but they don't run too far away when I step outside anymore.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, once I move I'm going to get a second cat.

Ditto, once I finish my first deployment I want to get my cat a pal.

If I can I want to try and raise bees also.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

I have a group of squirrels that I've more or less adopted and can recognize by fur color, tail bushiness, etc. They don't eat out of my hand but they don't run too far away when I step outside anymore.

My favorite part of my house is all the surrounding creatures. About a month ago, we woke up and saw about 10 Turkey hens just strutting through our yard. We've a herd of deer sleep in our backyard. Chipmunks, squirrels, bats, oppossums, bunnies. It's great.

And a small farm up the road has alpaca, chickens, turkey, goats, sheep, and emu. In addition they have the biggest, floofiest white dog ever, along with a chubby corgi, and a medium black ball of floof.

And tonight, my daughter asked for a duck.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I have a new idiot story for you gents that I'd like to share. The new private in my squad just got his nickname this weekend. A little background, I'm currently with a National Guard company because about 11 years ago I felt like poo poo and wanted to die well, there's the part where I'm an idiot.

Now for the new guy who I will refer to as S.H., we're on Ft.Bliss range 62, team live fire range, same range where an annual training or two ago a lot of our guys found out what rattlesnake tastes like, because they killed and ate two, then made a handle for the guide on out of their skin. So we have some history on this range. Anyway I'd just run an iteration and was feeling kinda crap, best friends sister died last weekend, service is next weekend and I'm kind of moping around the bleachers, when I see a gaggle of privates raptly paying attention to one with a wet PC. This instantly set off alarms in my head because when a group of boots cherries is paying attention to one of their own something either has or is about to go wrong. Their conversation was about as follows, about five of them total.

Dude #1 "Why is your PC wet and kinda blue"

S.H. "I was in the port-a-shitter taking a piss when I felt I'd dropped something. My PC fell into the shitter."

Dude #2 "And?"

S.H "I fished it out."

Dude #1 "Is that it?"

S.H. "It's ok, I rinsed it off"

So I'm standing there after hearing this all :catstare: looking around the bleachers for an adult and I see the next best thing, a corpsman medic and I in a stage whisper ask her about a hypothetical, "Hey doc, can someone get sick if they wear a PC that they fished out of the shitter?"

Doc :catstare: "Who is it? And yes, they can get pinkeye and other poo poo from the bacteria"

"S.H. over there."

Doc then grabs S.H. and goes and finds the senior NCOs who half compassionately and half disgustedly find him a replacement PC, have him bury the poop hat and christen the private with the new name ShitHat. AKA PoopHat, AKA ShitHead.

When not running lanes the rest of the four days we were there involved a lot of hypotheticals. "Would you rather eat that bug, or wear a shithat?" "uhh, eat the bug and ask for seconds?"

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Steezo posted:

I have a new idiot story for you gents that I'd like to share. The new private in my squad just got his nickname this weekend. A little background, I'm currently with a National Guard company because about 11 years ago I felt like poo poo and wanted to die well, there's the part where I'm an idiot.

Now for the new guy who I will refer to as S.H., we're on Ft.Bliss range 62, team live fire range, same range where an annual training or two ago a lot of our guys found out what rattlesnake tastes like, because they killed and ate two, then made a handle for the guide on out of their skin. So we have some history on this range. Anyway I'd just run an iteration and was feeling kinda crap, best friends sister died last weekend, service is next weekend and I'm kind of moping around the bleachers, when I see a gaggle of privates raptly paying attention to one with a wet PC. This instantly set off alarms in my head because when a group of boots cherries is paying attention to one of their own something either has or is about to go wrong. Their conversation was about as follows, about five of them total.

Dude #1 "Why is your PC wet and kinda blue"

S.H. "I was in the port-a-shitter taking a piss when I felt I'd dropped something. My PC fell into the shitter."

Dude #2 "And?"

S.H "I fished it out."

Dude #1 "Is that it?"

S.H. "It's ok, I rinsed it off"

So I'm standing there after hearing this all :catstare: looking around the bleachers for an adult and I see the next best thing, a corpsman medic and I in a stage whisper ask her about a hypothetical, "Hey doc, can someone get sick if they wear a PC that they fished out of the shitter?"

Doc :catstare: "Who is it? And yes, they can get pinkeye and other poo poo from the bacteria"

"S.H. over there."

Doc then grabs S.H. and goes and finds the senior NCOs who half compassionately and half disgustedly find him a replacement PC, have him bury the poop hat and christen the private with the new name ShitHat. AKA PoopHat, AKA ShitHead.

When not running lanes the rest of the four days we were there involved a lot of hypotheticals. "Would you rather eat that bug, or wear a shithat?" "uhh, eat the bug and ask for seconds?"

When I first saw the initials I defaulted it to "poo poo happens." Pretty close.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Can I test a soldier for autism. Not a joke.

quote:

I have a soldier who I really care about, I truly believe his recruiter failed him by letting him in the military. He cannot read or write at an adult level or even at the challenged infantry level. On a daily basis I try to teach him CoC just up to the company level, he can’t retain any of it. He told me our CO is SSG blank. I have to dress him almost every day. He wore two left boots for the first 3 days of JRTC until his feet bled. His main goal in life right now is to be able to do the splits. He pissed himself when another soldier pointed a rubber ducky at him during combatives.

He also has problems staying awake for more than three or four hours. He left our tent around 0300 through the back instead of the front during a winter FTX and he was lost in the snow 20ft away for an hour, if our fire guard wasn’t aware he would have died for sure. My immediate CoC made the decision to take him over another soldier on deployment and they chose my “special” soldier because the other was bad at PT. I really want to help him. He is not mentally doing well with daily duties. I’ve gotten mixed answers about what to do. Has anyone had experience with this.

e: More from the comments

quote:

Yo, he is fast as gently caress though. The man is 5’4 135lb pure dad bod and runs sub 12 just because I don’t think he knows how to be tired.

quote:

I was showing him how to squat and he asked if this will help him do the splits. I was like “what the gently caress”. He then tells me it’s the top point in his dream book. He no poo poo has a composition notebook with single sentences written in size 36 scribble, all his aspirations. This includes becoming a major in the army.

I swear to god I’m not loving around. I’ve never dealt with something like this.

Also forgot to mention he spent his first couple months in the army at NATICK where he says they put him in a heat room for hours.

quote:

One of his huge hobbies is teaching people to sing through some sort of video chat on his laptop. I walked in on him singing to a naked 50 year old Asian man last week.

I have a crazy urge to upload pics of the dream book. But I feel like it’d be too unprofessional.

:smith:

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 9, 2019

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Inter service transfer to the Marines?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MrUnderbridge posted:

Inter service transfer to the Marines?

Yea, that dude is prime warehouse worker or cook material.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
He’s smarter than the average soldier.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

MrUnderbridge posted:

Inter service transfer to the Civil Air Patrol?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Quick, someone get him enrolled in marine engineering at the nearest merchant marine academy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Part of me really wants to meet this delightful dude.

We had a special dreamer too. I'm pretty loopy and poorly socialized, but this kid managed to set himself apart in a signal battalion.

Dude would stop during almost anything to take in a bug or desert wildlife. He would just instantly drop what he was doing to play with some ants.

He would talk about how he doesn't like being mean and that he was sad the army only wanted mean people.

Kids reason for ETS was his hair was too short to get sunlight.

We also have a dude who literally brings lightsabers to drill. But other nerds in the COC loving want to see them too because they're the ridiculously expensive battle ones.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Part of me really wants to meet this delightful dude.

We had a special dreamer too. I'm pretty loopy and poorly socialized, but this kid managed to set himself apart in a signal battalion.

Dude would stop during almost anything to take in a bug or desert wildlife. He would just instantly drop what he was doing to play with some ants.

He would talk about how he doesn't like being mean and that he was sad the army only wanted mean people.

:smith: drat, this is me to a T, except it never interfered with my duties. Rescued a Gecko while overseas that got stuck in the shop.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh I loved hanging out with the guy because I do the same kind of poo poo. Me and him would spend hours just staring at stars and poo poo in the middle of the central Nevada desert; his whole thing about being a peacenik really helps with my anxiety.

Problem was this dude was just so ill adjusted for the Army life that he couldn't maintain his duties or his positions. He would at all times be completely distracted by anything else.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Apparently I was the rear end in a top hat for telling my coworkers to stop throwing a worm at each other while waiting for formation to start, and dressing down the guy who decided to stomp on it afterwards.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One of the mineral dealers I know actually got pulled aside because he kept filling up his backpack with rocks when doing PT. They thought it was some dumb macho thing, but they were just good rocks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Can we make our own military with weed and special kids?

:unsmith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

One of the mineral dealers I know actually got pulled aside because he kept filling up his backpack with rocks when doing PT. They thought it was some dumb macho thing, but they were just good rocks.

This just sounds badass in a nerdy way. I gotta imagine it should help with fitness.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tunicate posted:

Where were you stationed that had good rocks?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh man if they’d let me smoke pot id be back in tomorrow.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

You missed out on the 80s.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Weed would have madd the military bearable.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Even weed would not put me back in uniform

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Stultus Maximus posted:

Where were you stationed that had good rocks?

Let's Talk About Idiots! Where you were you stationed that had good rocks?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

No idea bout rock but you can always find crystal around here.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

No idea bout rock but you can always find crystal around here.

life in the reserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Weed would have made the Navy worse, we needed crystal