Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Jaxyon posted:

LOL yes he's a white supremacist how is this even a discussion.

Bad wording on my part. What I meant to say was Miller cares primarily about inflicting cruelty and suffering on brown people, and much less about some ideological "advancement of the white race", which is why he's both a white supremacist and Jewish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MODERATE 👏 DEMOCRATS 👏 ARE 👏 REPUBLICANS

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
That was an abrupt ending to the nazi hearing...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ok cool so when are you going to get progressive primary challengers for the entire blue dog caucus then. Or are you just going to continue delivering half-baked hot takes like this is some sort of revelation.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jaxyon posted:

LOL yes he's a white supremacist how is this even a discussion.

It’s not even a secret, there’s plenty of evidence right out in the open and it’s just another hashmark on the wall of conservatives who refuse to believe uncomfortable reality.

https://twitter.com/chick_in_kiev/status/1115562160254541825?s=21

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Angry_Ed posted:

Ok cool so when are you going to get primary challengers for the entire blue dog caucus then. Or are you just going to talk about the problem without doing anything like you usually do.

I'm sure the Dems are lining up in UT...

Wasn't this a plot point in West Wing LOL

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They aren't Republicans, but they ARE conservative by any measure. The Democrats represent the full range of sane, but often wrong, people. The Republicans represent the crazy right fringe.

The problem is that Republicans are still the largest threat to human civilization the world has ever known, so completely wrong, but sane, people end up being quasi-allies.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean, they can just... exist. We don't really need to launch a crusade against UT at the moment. We can just thank them for their service towards advancing our agenda, and tell them not to hit their rear end on the door when the Republican party stops being the party of white supremacists, Nazis, and dominionist zealots.

...lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1115677583587401735

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And just think if you had your way and Steny Hoyer became speaker of the house instead of Pelosi, this bill might actually mean something.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

theflyingorc posted:

They aren't Republicans, but they ARE conservative by any measure. The Democrats represent the full range of sane, but often wrong, people. The Republicans represent the crazy right fringe.

The problem is that Republicans are still the largest threat to human civilization the world has ever known, so completely wrong, but sane, people end up being quasi-allies.
In a sane world, the Democrats would be the *right-wing* party among the major parties, and the Republicans would be a tiny fringe.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

In a sane world, the Democrats would be the *right-wing* party among the major parties, and the Republicans would be a tiny fringe.

Years ago a poster from Germany on another forum I was on put it succinctly. "In Europe, the Democrats would be the right-wing party, and the Republicans would be in an insane asylum"

Granted this was before the resurgence of nationalist/fascist parties in Europe

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Angry_Ed posted:

Years ago a poster from Germany on another forum I was on put it succinctly. "In Europe, the Democrats would be the right-wing party, and the Republicans would be in an insane asylum"

not in hungary or poland :toot:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We're having a bit of a moment in Estonia, too.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1115680085011566593

Womp womp

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Z. Autobahn posted:

Oh yeah, fair enough, he's absolutely a white supremacist in terms of deeds. I meant more in terms of squaring the "BUT HES JEWISH" angle that his motivations are less ideological and more purely sadistic.

You know how many Jews willingly cooperated with Nazis and shoved millions of fellow Jews into boxcars bound for the death camps? Plenty. Self interest is a hell of a drug.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Serves her right for loving signing autographs before her court appearance.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol, miller is a loving nazi and his family hates him. gently caress this enabler.

i didn't know his family hated him but they should and i hope it makes him sad

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I mean I did say years ago (like over a decade ago) but yeah.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
What "context" are these idiots crowing over that makes what Owens said ok?
She literally said if he'd only done his genocide in Germany that that would be ok. What "context" am I missing?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

InsertPotPun posted:

She literally said if he'd only done his genocide in Germany that that would be ok. What "context" am I missing?

"Just watch the whole video before you judge!"

"Well, okay, I guess..."

*watches whole video*

"What the gently caress?"

"LOL you watched a whole video about white nationalism you must be a Nazi LOL"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i didn't know his family hated him but they should and i hope it makes him sad

Yep:

"Stephen Miller Is an Immigration Hypocrite. I Know Because I’m His Uncle.
If my nephew’s ideas on immigration had been in force a century ago, our family would have been wiped out."

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/13/stephen-miller-is-an-immigration-hypocrite-i-know-because-im-his-uncle-219351

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

InsertPotPun posted:

The "context" that ends the argument until they can decide on where to move the goalposts to next.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

Well that and he's not a real nationalist because a real nationalist doesn't kill their own people. Which...uh...that's certainly an interesting definition.

EDIT: Also she said Hitler was for globalism and she's against that which...well again...interesting definition

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 9, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ummel posted:

I can't get over how something as stupid as gamergate has had such a profound impact on national politics.

Well, when I started in the game business, it was a pretty small part of the media world. Now it exceeds the film industry in scope.

Case in point, Activision's sales in 1988 were around $70m. Last year? $7.50b.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

luxury handset posted:

honestly we need $5 gas and need it to stick around for at least a decade. gas is way too cheap

Gas is close to that in San Diego (at least the premium my wife's car runs on) and even though her car isn't bad at 100k miles, it's making the prospect of switching to an EV a attractive one.

Me? I use a bicycle for most of the week.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

Hitler wasn't a nationalist because he genocided his own people, which is not something a nationalist would do. He killed his own people because he was a homicidal maniac. If he just wanted to make Germany great, that's fine because it's nationalism and nationalism is good. Hitler was actually a globalist because he had ambitions outside of Germany.

So you see,
Hitler = not a nationalist, but a murderous globalist = bad
nationalism = good

If Hitler was just a nationalist he'd have been fine.

(It's totally incoherent don't try and make sense of it)

edit: she's not saying that if Hitler had confined his genocide to Germany, it'd be fine. She's defending nationalism as a good thing by saying Hitler wasn't actually a nationalist.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 9, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1115684880975667200

I hope you have an incapacitating stroke but don't die, instead you're forced to watch everyone realize what a joke you are.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/misstessowen/status/1115679930208092165

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Z. Autobahn posted:

Bad wording on my part. What I meant to say was Miller cares primarily about inflicting cruelty and suffering on brown people, and much less about some ideological "advancement of the white race", which is why he's both a white supremacist and Jewish.

This is my take too. Miller is primarily motivated by his hate of Hispanics, so he allies himself with the white supremacist movement because they share common goals. But he obviously doesn't share all the goals of white supremacy, because he does recognize himself as Jewish after all. It's similar to how Mussolini was allied with the Nazis, but wasn't a Nazi himself.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's very important that we hash out whether Stephen Miller is a "real" White Nationalist or merely someone who identifies with them and shares their goals and methods, which is different

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

qkkl posted:

This is my take too. Miller is primarily motivated by his hate of Hispanics, so he allies himself with the white supremacist movement because they share common goals. But he obviously doesn't share all the goals of white supremacy, because he does recognize himself as Jewish after all. It's similar to how Mussolini was allied with the Nazis, but wasn't a Nazi himself.

Nothing about Stephen Miller is in any way inconsistent with the neofascist ideology explicitly laid out by Steve Bannon (aka Sessions' other fash protege).

theflyingorc posted:

I'm sure THIS TIME is the qkkl post that isn't just intended to make people bicker

whoops

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

qkkl posted:

I'm sure THIS TIME is the qkkl post that isn't just intended to make people bicker

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Are people really gatekeeping for white supremacy?

Miller is a white supremacist, and if you are squeamish about that then you don't understand white supremacy.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

It's very important that we hash out whether Stephen Miller is a "real" White Nationalist or merely someone who identifies with them and shares their goals and methods, which is different

I'll encapsulate the entire argument: Miller is what happens when two people love each other very much, and instead of a baby they produce a howling mess of insanity.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Today in USPol people argued that Miller isn't really a White Nationalist and Candace Owens isn't really a moron, and in both cases I'm extremely curious what more either of them could do to prove that they are.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

qkkl posted:

This is a hair-splitting distinction and is, in a material sense, utterly meaningless. There were pro-NSDAP Jewish groups. They ended up just as tragically dead as those who opposed the NSDAP. Miller's "degree of alignment" with white nationalism is irrelevant both to us and to his own fate in the final accounting.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

TheScott2K posted:

Today in USPol people argued that Miller isn't really a White Nationalist and Candace Owens isn't really a moron, and in both cases I'm extremely curious what more either of them could do to prove that they are.

Well, Candace could get a bunch of her nazi friends to wear diapers in a play pen in on the National Mall in a :master: of lib owning

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheScott2K posted:

A slapstick routine wherein they attempt to cram a bunch of Jewish kids in an oven but repeatedly fall down and pie each other in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This is a hair-splitting distinction and is, in a material sense, utterly meaningless. There were pro-NSDAP Jewish groups. They ended up just as tragically dead as those who opposed the NSDAP. Miller's "degree of alignment" is irrelevant both to us and to his own fate in the final accounting.

I agree it's functionally meaningless, but given that the entire GOP talking point strategy today is "But he's JEWISH!", pointing out that you can support the cause of white supremacy while being neither white nor particularly invested in the ideology feels like a reasonable counter-argument.

Like, it's not an exoneration of Miller, it's just an explanation of his motives.