Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

During the first few months of the war one million railroad cars loaded with industrial equipment, raw materials, and people departed from the frontline areas. /16 I won't delve into specifics of the scale of the Soviet program of deporting the civilian population. This I have done in some detail in The Dissolution. Suffice it here to note that before the war upward of 90 million people were living in the Soviet areas conquered by Germany during the Second World War. The Soviets deported anywhere between 25 and 30 million of them. They concentrated their deportation efforts on specific groups. Thus, they preferred the urban to the rural population, the skilled to the unskilled, and large educated minorities (Jews and Russians in the Ukraine, White Russia, and in the Baltic countries) to the more hostile native population. Because the Soviets had begun their deportation program long before the outbreak of the war and because the western frontier areas were generally not densely populated, the Soviet cities which fell into German hands during the first few days and weeks of the war were greatly depopulated - up to 90 percent in some cases and over 50 percent on the average. The cities tended to show greater deportation percentages if they were located in the Ukraine or White Russia, rather than in the Baltic countries; if they were located near the western frontier rather than further east; and if they had large educated minorities than if the native population predominated.

i don't necessarily see what you're getting at here, evacuating as much of the skilled workforce as you can before the genocidal maniac regime rolls up and takes over makes genuine sense

obviously not defending stalin's minority policies in general here, but specifically getting people out in the face of apocalyptic war doesn't seem like something i'd normally begrudge someone for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly passive resistance owns bones and is entirely respectable, and its denigration is pretty shameful

i'm biassed here since my granddad basically got tortured to death (not immediately, but it did break his health and he perished like fifteen years after liberation) for organising engineered bureacratic inertia and slow-walk actions in his industrial municipality, but anyone who believes in the power of industrial action should recognise that that stuff was no joke and did genuine and recognised damage to the german war effort

The point is that France as a whole. Tens of millions of people became voluntary and useful tools in the nazi machine because the nazis planted a flag in Paris. Repression and denunciation on a massive scale made possible with the support of not-literaly-nazis.

Things flip from

To what we got on a dime. Because an overwhelming majority of people will accept severe repression of "others" as long as they themselves get to enjoy relative normality.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if you work in an office and suddenly insist on following every procedure to the letter, becoming notoriously inflexible and stiff to work with, citing obscure bylaws and departmental regulations to avoid punishment, are you a useful tool in the nazi machine? i mean, you're still doing stuff once they bring you all the stupid forms

if you work in an arms factory and pretend to have a limp from an industrial accident which really just gave you an ugly scar, are you a useful tool to the nazi machine? you're still actually making guns, just more slowly than whoever they might set to replace you. is this resistance enough for a man with a family that will face severe reprecussions should he be caught in active sabotage?

the point being, the calculus for those occupied by a genocidal monster-regime is so hosed up that any peacetime notions of how inadequate their resistance was is a really lovely mentality when you have the italian or hungarian cases right loving there to make your point

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

V. Illych L. posted:

if you work in an office and suddenly insist on following every procedure to the letter, becoming notoriously inflexible and stiff to work with, citing obscure bylaws and departmental regulations to avoid punishment, are you a useful tool in the nazi machine? i mean, you're still doing stuff once they bring you all the stupid forms

if you work in an arms factory and pretend to have a limp from an industrial accident which really just gave you an ugly scar, are you a useful tool to the nazi machine? you're still actually making guns, just more slowly than whoever they might set to replace you. is this resistance enough for a man with a family that will face severe reprecussions should he be caught in active sabotage?

the point being, the calculus for those occupied by a genocidal monster-regime is so hosed up that any peacetime notions of how inadequate their resistance was is a really lovely mentality when you have the italian or hungarian cases right loving there to make your point

Yes some people resisted a bit but the overwhelming majority went along.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Katt posted:

Yes some people resisted a bit but the overwhelming majority went along.

there is no reliable evidence for this, since people lie a lot about this sort of things and a lot of civilian resistance is basically invisible like the examples i just mentioned

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

hm productivity went down 8% in occupied gascogne's tire factories, is this due to passive resistance, wartime societal upheaval or reduced employment incentives? it's literally impossible to tell

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Um, this is quite the derail from Scandinavian politics...

Mp, in a desperate attempt to make sure we never forget just how much they suck, now via the minister of athletics (also minister of culture and democracy, because why not) enthusiastically support a swedish bid for the Olympics. Who cares that Stockholm, one of the places to host this shitfest, does not want it.

gently caress everyone if that stupid corrupt poo poo is held here.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

Um, this is quite the derail from Scandinavian politics...

Mp, in a desperate attempt to make sure we never forget just how much they suck, now via the minister of athletics (also minister of culture and democracy, because why not) enthusiastically support a swedish bid for the Olympics. Who cares that Stockholm, one of the places to host this shitfest, does not want it.

gently caress everyone if that stupid corrupt poo poo is held here.

I work on Drottninggatan and the summer tourism swells alone are goddamn infuriating.

On the other hand, maybe SJ will be taken serihahahahah sorry I can’t I can’t finish.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I think the 'the resistance didn't do enough' line, is the most hindsight, safe, armchair-'well I personally would have resisted much more', comfortable view a person can take.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
That kind of just proves the point though. If nazis take over even people who think they would do something wouldn't. Whether that's because they are afraid of cops or because they don't want to sacrifice anything is kinda irrelevant.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Yeah, it's the most important lesson from the milgram experiments. Not that 80% of people will do terrible poo poo, but that 80% of people when they hear about it, totally think they would never have done it. Regardless, it's real loving safe to sit 80 years distant and pass judgement on people for not resisting enough.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The whole point is that people go "lol so few nazis" when a handful is all that is required.

Look at the USA. In something like 2 years they went from "these hicks are kind of racist these days" to congressmen being open nazis and a president that can't even condemn nazis with nazis all over his administration.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Katt posted:

The whole point is that people go "lol so few nazis" when a handful is all that is required.

Look at the USA. In something like 2 years they went from "these hicks are kind of racist these days" to congressmen being open nazis and a president that can't even condemn nazis with nazis all over his administration.

the republican party have been more-or-less openly white supremacist for decades, since the Southern Strategy became their go-to method for winning elections

trump is an aberration only in that he's incredibly vulgar, bush was in many respects even worse

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what we're taking issue with, katt, is that your go-to examples of fascists being outsized powerful are countries under military occupation and martial law rather than, you know, the obvious examples of italy (at the time of the march on rome mussolini had single-digits support iirc, though the nationalists all-told made something like 20% in the preceding election) or austria or actually germany where the nazis just utterly balooned following the great depression

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Another thing I think people overlook when they think about the rise of nazism or the potential rise of some new ethno-fascist movement is how many people who condemn Nazism probably do it on a surface level. Nazis were bad because they were racist maniacs who started the biggest war in history and committed genocide. They haven't thought about the aspirations of the Nazis and how those aspirations compare to their own aspirations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Much of the European right were busy fellating Hitler right up until the war, though. The Conservative Youth were literally LARP'ing jackbooted stormtroopers in the streets, with proper salute and everything, and still venerate it in song to this day. Only ironically, of course.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly passive resistance owns bones and is entirely respectable, and its denigration is pretty shameful
Yeah this. Rah-rah resistance is all nice and well until they hang your children with barbed wire and make you watch. There's a reason most french guerillas were young AF.

On the other hand there's my grandma who hid and fed 2 jewish kids for years and told an informer to suck on it when he came 'round knocking. But she was hardcore the likes of which I've rarely seen so there's that.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
https://www.nytimes.com/1939/11/28/archives/hitler-is-greatest-in-princeton-poll-freshmen-put-einstein-second.html

Lmao Princeton freshmen voted Hitler "the greatest living person" twice (in 38 and 39 I guess).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Four more years!

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/mette-frederiksen-vil-ikke-vaere-statsminister-hvis-det-kraever-0

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I would almost prefer it, just because that stupid shitbag social democrat is going "We're not going to compromise AT ALL, not one inch, on the immigration policy the Danish people support so actively, even if it costs us government'. Nice to know all the other poo poo you're campaigning on, like pretending to care about green issues and workers rights, doesn't actually matter, if you can't be monstrously racist as well.

If it wasn't for full on nazi policy supporting, 'incapable of feeling empathy for human beings of another skin color' Støjberg, I'd probably prefer a government of moronic neolibs who pretend to be racist enough to get the support of Danish people's party so they get to lower taxes and deregulate business, over true racial purity believers, extreme nationalist party, the social democrats.

Truly some good choices coming up this election.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Revelation 2-13 posted:

moronic neolibs who pretend to be racist enough

It's sweet of you to believe that.

I'm curious as to what exactly happened within S to lead to making Mette Frederiksen their leader. Is the party full of true believers, or was putting their most ghoulishly racist member in charge the result of some realpolitik calculations? They must have realized, on some level, that the end game would be reducing Danish political discourse to "we're concerned that a left-wing government won't be racist enough" "oh, I assure you, we'll be real fuckin' racist and I'd be more than happy to outline just how much we hate people of the wrong skin color."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

And before people get the idea that Frederiksen is just maneuvering, the settlement that placed refugees in a military training area is from before 2015. (Wasn't meant to have kids housed there, though.)

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
If they win government it's probably going to Corydon situation all over again. Where the social democrats, because morons still think they're kinda leftists, will get away with implementing the most heinous, neoliberal, bigoted poo poo the right wing wouldn't be able to accomplish in their wildest dreams, because it would mobilize people against it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Another thing I think people overlook when they think about the rise of nazism or the potential rise of some new ethno-fascist movement is how many people who condemn Nazism probably do it on a surface level. Nazis were bad because they were racist maniacs who started the biggest war in history and committed genocide. They haven't thought about the aspirations of the Nazis and how those aspirations compare to their own aspirations.

The nazi debate only relate to the nazis on a surface level and not to real monstrosity of the ideology.
Ethnonationalists see nazis as nationalist wanting a strong nation while fighting international finance, while the holocaust was an unfortunate thing to happen. The fact that the holocaust as well as the planned genocide of slavs through is an explicit part of the nazi ideology is pretty much missed.
The above is also missed by those that throw around nazi accusations, which basically have the effect of diminishing the utter monstrosity that nazi ideology is.

Nazism as such is a phenomena which is wholly dependent on Hitler and postWW1 Germany and the world is a quite different place since then, which make modern accusations of nazism to be more straw men than anything else. Mostly because nazis are the ideal villains, while rascists can also be your racist old uncle.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Vaguely related, but Assange has been nicked

https://twitter.com/richard_littler/status/1116279995482165248

He...isn’t looking great.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

teen witch posted:

Vaguely related, but Assange has been nicked

https://twitter.com/richard_littler/status/1116279995482165248

He...isn’t looking great.

"Save me Vlad! you promised!"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
People innocent of sexual assault always hide in embassies for 7 years, right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you're in danger of being extradited to the US, accused of exposing military and intelligence secrets and in obvious danger of being disappeared to a black site, well...

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

If you're in danger of being extradited to the US, accused of exposing military and intelligence secrets and in obvious danger of being disappeared to a black site, well...

Reminder that he was already in UK custody and was released on bail when he fled to the embassy. If the US wanted him that badly they could have just made a phone call "Don't release him on bail"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Assange is obviously paranoid, that goes without saying.

It could be a fuckup that they didn't grab him immediately. In his situation, I certainly wouldn't be taking any unnecessary chances.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Assange is guilty of skipping bail, but I think most people would say that happened under mitigating circumstances. Whether or not he's a sex creep is not really what the embassy stay is about. He's a nerdy dude with a little bit of fame, so even money that he is a sex creep, but unlikely that he is so to any degree that could result in a conviction. In any case it really should not factor into the decision about whether or not he deserves to be turned over to the tender mercies of the US intelligence establishment. That's not a fate we should wish on anyone.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Paludan's book burnings has so far cost taxpayers 30 million. Articles mentioning his racism conviction still call him an "Islam critic" without fail.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Katt posted:

Reminder that he was already in UK custody and was released on bail when he fled to the embassy. If the US wanted him that badly they could have just made a phone call "Don't release him on bail"

He was literally arrested because the yanks told them to.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
He was arrested because Ecuador decided to kick him out. Once that happened he was going to get arrested for something, not just ride away into the sunset.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Brits took him for jumping his bail first and foremost. The US then wants him as well.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

im gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I would not really have expected Dagens Industri to be the paper that would run an op-ed calling for a large increase public sector investments, but here we are. I mean, it makes sense, they're mainly talking about the kind of public sector spending that does benefit domestic industry, like infrastructure and defense, but still. They're also right, there's a ton of poo poo to be done and national debt is among the lowest among the OECD countries. Where the hell are you, betongsossar? Build some loving railways and some public loving housing!

Quoting article below for people paywalled:

quote:

”Om den statsfinansiella situationen så medger” har varit en nyckelmening i svensk ekonomisk politik i ett kvarts sekel. Det är dags att sluta med den nu. Sverige har mycket stora investeringsbehov i infrastruktur, utbildning, vård och försvar. Och Sverige har lysande statsfinansiella utsikter.

I den vårändringsbudget som finansministern presenterade i onsdags i förra veckan anger finansdepartementet en prognos för den offentliga sektorns skuldutveckling, alltså statens, kommunernas och landstingens samlade skulder.

Sverige har skaffat sig ett nytt mål, ett så kallat skuldankare, på 35 procent av BNP med ett intervall på plus minus 5 procent. Om regeringen avviker från intervallet ska man till riksdagen inkomma med en skrivelse och förklara varför.

Förra året sjönk den offentliga sektorns samlade skuld under 35-procentsmålet. I mitten av 2021 kommer den samlade skulden att trilla ur intervallet. Den sjunker då under vad som anses vara lämpligt för att kunna upprätthålla volymen på svenska statspapper. Det är bra för Sverige att marknaden har för vana att köpa och sälja svenska statsobligationer. Det är som att ha en valuta. Plötsligt behöver man nämligen låna och då är det krångligt att introducera något nytt.

I samma skötsamma vårändringsbudget finns en tabell över amorteringsprognosen, sidan 58. Det är statens i särklass största satsning framöver. 0,6 procent av BNP ska amorteras under 2019 och öka till 1,9 procent 2022, det vill säga till 100 miljarder.

Finansdepartementet för inget resonemang om hur den amorteringsplanen går ihop med att Sverige året före sjunkit under den rekommenderade skulden, men det bör man göra. Statsskuldspolitiken bör sättas upp högt på agendan.

Det fanns starka skäl för Sverige att för ett kvarts sekel sedan skärpa budgetrutinerna och stoppa de ständiga underskotten. Det gjorde den generationens politiker med bravur.

Men som så många andra segrar har den kommit att missbrukas. Socialdemokraterna och särskilt Göran Persson fick ett livsfarligt vapen mot Moderaterna. Det var S som städade upp efter den slösaktiga högern som sin vana och plånbok trogen hellre sänkte skatter än tog ansvar.

Till och med när den värsta krisen sedan 1930-talet slog till och Sverige hade en finanspolitisk ledning som fick bäst krishanteringsbetyg i hela EU kunde S skrämma slag på M. När den nya ekonomiskpolitiska talespersonen Magdalena Andersson kritiserade Anders Borgs underskott vek han ner sig. Alla visste att underskott var helt nödvändiga under minustillväxten men greppet fungerade ändå. Inför valet 2014 pratade alla plötsligt om att samla i lador och att bygga skyddsvallar. I själva verket behövde Sverige en investeringsvåg.

Sedan dess har Sverige blivit ett 10-miljonersland. Urbaniseringen är urstark. Stor- och universitetsstäder växer så det knakar. Landet behöver nya vägar, järnvägar, broar, vatten och avlopp, samt renovera de gamla. Sverige behöver också återinvestera i ett fungerande försvar. Den långa och lyckliga freden har tagit slut. Läget ska inte överdrivas till alarmism men är mycket mer spänt. Vi har viktiga åtaganden gentemot våra grannar, Storbritannien och USA. Och vi ligger i botten vad gäller försvarsanslagens andel av BNP.

Befolkningsutvecklingen, delvis till följd av migrationen, gör att antalet barn och äldre växer snabbt, vilket ökar behovet av att investera i skola och äldreomsorg.

Därtill kommer de uppenbara behoven inom polis och det övriga rättsväsendet.

Ändå fortsätter statsskuldspolitiken som om ingenting har hänt, som om det är 1990-tal och George Soros knäcker den svenska kronan om nätterna. Men vi har inget att bevisa. Marknaderna tror på Sverige. Svenska staten kan låna på 50 år till 1 procents ränta. Och på fem år till minusränta. Anbuden haglar i auktionerna om de svenska statsobligationerna. En pikant detalj är att långivarna inte längre vill ha sina pengar. När Sverige förra året försökte betala tillbaka sa de kanadensiska lärarfacken och alla andra som har sina pengar hos oss att de hellre fortsätter att låna ut. Så amorteringarna hamnade på ett konto på Riksgälden.

Så här kan vi inte ha det. Visst finns det skäl att vara försiktig med utgifter, men när investeringsbehoven är så stora ska vi inte ha så offensiva amorteringsplaner. Den svenska statsskulden går trendmässigt mot noll.

En glimt i mörkret fanns i M-KD-budgetens alltför korta men ändå inledande resonemang. Där anförde Elisabeth Svantesson de förpliktigande statsfinansiella allvarsorden, men argumenterade sedan för att läget kräver en mer expansiv budget. Kommuner och landsting behöver pengar, skatten måste sänkas för att säkra och vässa incitamenten och försvaret rustas upp. Hon minskade därför det offentliga sparandet något.

Magdalena Andersson ökar det. Och det ser ut som om hon kommer att småsnåla sig igenom mandatperioden.

En regering som tror på sin politik och på landet ska göra tvärtom. Lägg ny och rak räls. Rusta flyg och flotta. Se till att skolan inte saknar ett öre för att klara de nya generationerna. Sluta amortera.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Who are in opposition to spending more on healthcare anyway? Just put it straight on the taxes. I don't know anyone who wouldn't accept a 0.5% raise or whatever in taxes to never have to spend a long time in vårdkö again

I mean by the time you're 30 you will certainly have seen the worse sides of the healthcare system.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Katt posted:

Who are in opposition to spending more on healthcare anyway?

SKL, public sector consultants, a score of misguided M & S politicians and the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

SKL, public sector consultants, a score of misguided M & S politicians and the government.
Libertarians.