Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's funny to me the primary reason why it took us so long to learn major details about the One Piece world is because our main characters largely don't read the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's funny to me the primary reason why it took us so long to learn major details about the One Piece world is because our main characters largely don't read the news.

still wondering how the reverie went

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Oh no what villain with Sabo be after his “death”

Is it Blackbeard

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

how preposterous to assume sabo is alive why would you think that

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kashuno posted:

Is it Blackbeard

No, it's dumber.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Is it Blackbeard

hm never seen this one before

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Is it Blackbeard

Foxy

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Remember when Zoro's friend Kuina fell down stairs and died

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Is it Blackbeard

Sabo clearly died. I don't know where this preposterous idea came from.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I legit miss Foxy and hope they return.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I legit miss Foxy and hope they return.
I'm right here!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

There's a Foxy 2 filler in the anime but I haven't watched it.

Any New World filler arcs that people recommend? Only filler I've watched is G6 and the bounty hunters before Thriller Bark.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The Foxy Pirates need to be waiting on the shores of Raftel when the Straw Hats get there, ready to challenge the fleet to a Davy Back game for One Piece.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Sub Harrison posted:

There's a Foxy 2 filler in the anime but I haven't watched it.

Don't bother, the filler should've written itself but instead it wastes post-timeskip Foxy and the 5 minutes of a Davy Back game you get before it sidetracks into boring bullshit

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
*it's finally the promised time, the crew pulls up at Raftel*
*chapter ends with cliffhanger of foxy grinning (silhouetted) "Maybe I can slow things down a bit"...*
*"One Piece will be on break for the month."*
*foxy uses his awakened slow-slow fruit on not only the straw hats, but the manga itself*
*slows down the pace of the Raftel chapters to 1 per month*

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fawf posted:

Don't bother, the filler should've written itself but instead it wastes post-timeskip Foxy and the 5 minutes of a Davy Back game you get before it sidetracks into boring bullshit

Isn't that the one where Usopp literally shoots a bullet out of the air like it's no big deal?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I reached the time skip. What a good setup for spending years training,from Sabaody straight through to the end. It felt like it didn't slow down for hundreds of chapters there, even during the Luffy/Ace/Sabo story. Hancock stuck around until the last second too, so I'm gonna guess she's a Straw Hat now. Law sticking around in the first half of the Grand Line is a neat choice, it'll give someone for Luffy to interact with that was there at the insanity. I hope Jimbei comes back around sometime, he was really cool and his power was nuts for a guy without the devil fruit. There are so many polot lines that opened up that I want to see. What's up with the warlords now? What's up with the Emperors now? Now that Sengoku and Garp have resigned, what's the navy up to? Coby??? Robin traveling with Dragon, Zoro training with Hawkeye, Sanji with Ivankov. It's so good. Almost 600 chapters in and this series continues to blow me away and leave me questioning stuff. It seems like they're setting up Blackbeard to be the ultimate villain here but he is a dick and a loser and I hope he is the first victim in the New World to show the Straw Hats newfound strength.

Also glad to know I was correct Sabo didn't die.

bondster
May 6, 2007

No Wave posted:

I still laugh at the 4Kids edit with Kuina's death that is way more violent than the original: She gets beat up by adults who she clowned on so bad that she can no longer fight again.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

When I first read that I was like "what the actual gently caress this is dumb" but now I understand it is actually peak One Piece

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I still say that a friend and rival's death by accident/happenstance suits Zoro perfectly, because you can't really imagine his personality being the same if she'd died or been crippled by violence, or even illness. He doesn't have anyone or even a concept to swear vengeance against (and Zoro is definitely the 'don't get mad, get even' type), but simply a promise that he made and can never give up on because she never even got a chance to try to fulfil her dream.

That and it strikes home the theme that the world is bigger than their main characters and their adventures; that sometimes poo poo just happens and people just die because of a moment's clumsiness. (note that it's possibly implied that Kuina was holding an unsheathed sword when she fell down the stairs...)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's totally fine in terms of characterization it's just economical compared to what one piece ended up becoming.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I vaguely remember there being giant shadowy figures somewhere around thriller bark, and not the ones that were being projected from Skypeia. Were those ever explained? I realize I still have like a hundred chapters to read but I’m starting to suspect they won’t be in that time. I guess if they are just say so and I’ll leave it at that.

Or maybe they don't actually exist and I'm insane.

Those were Umibozu

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
My main problem with Kuina's death is that it makes her look oddly weak compared to, e.g., Spandam. But I recognize that the "rules" for what even normal humans can survive it One Piece hadn't been established yet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
She was like loving 10 or whatever, poo poo happens.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

She existed in the past, where everyone in the world was as durable as real human beings.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheLoneStar posted:

She existed in the past, where everyone in the world was as durable as real human beings.

Except Sabo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kuina was pushed

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

She fuckin moonsaulted down the stairs and landed on her neck.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Kashuno posted:

When I first read that I was like "what the actual gently caress this is dumb" but now I understand it is actually peak One Piece

The stairs are the ancient weapon Pluto / the stairs have armament haki

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
the stairs absorbed their twin in the womb and are twice as strong as a single set of stairs

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

AfroGunsou posted:

the stairs absorbed their twin in the womb and are twice as strong as a single set of stairs

The stairs are using the darkness fruit to hide their twin brother in the shadows!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I’m like 3 pages into post time skip what are all the scars oh no

Oh no Chopper got turned into the idiot of the group

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 9, 2019

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Kuinas death was just Oda signaling that he's a goon

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So is World Seeker any good?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could do big epics like CC but I am lazy so you will all get my drive by reactions of the post time skip intros

Nami & Usopp were great and drat it’s cool to see them performing
Chopper looks like he will be a real idiot I don’t like it
Robin hasn’t gotten much yet
Sanji was a bit yikes but still good
Luffy dunking on fake Lufffy was great
Where is Franky’s cool hair oh god he’s super cyborg now
Brooke...good? Finally the musician Luffy always wanted
Zoro carving up the boat underwater and the DOOM panel of saying “I got on the wrong board is incredibly good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i love reading SBS

D: I have a question, Odacchi. The women you draw almost always have a large bust. When they're in Wano, they all wear kimonos and I've noticed that their busts get hidden away. I'm curious. Is it really okay even if Japanese women don't have big busts??? P.N. Chii-chan

O: Yes, this topic. Before, when I didn't know much about kimonos, I drew chests with their normal emphasis. However, I received a lot of letters from fans who were kimono pros telling me women with large busts would purposefully find ways to hide them to emphasize the beauty of their silhouette as well as teaching me tips on how they do this. Well in the end, the way anybody wears their clothes is up to them but I was convinced that the beauty of kimono lies in the silhouette (body line) so that's what I've been emphasizing in my drawing! If they took them off, it would be incredible!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oda suffers for art

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Oda's sacrifices won't be forgotten.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Kashuno posted:

Well, I reached the time skip. What a good setup for spending years training,from Sabaody straight through to the end. It felt like it didn't slow down for hundreds of chapters there, even during the Luffy/Ace/Sabo story. Hancock stuck around until the last second too, so I'm gonna guess she's a Straw Hat now. Law sticking around in the first half of the Grand Line is a neat choice, it'll give someone for Luffy to interact with that was there at the insanity. I hope Jimbei comes back around sometime, he was really cool and his power was nuts for a guy without the devil fruit. There are so many polot lines that opened up that I want to see. What's up with the warlords now? What's up with the Emperors now? Now that Sengoku and Garp have resigned, what's the navy up to? Coby??? Robin traveling with Dragon, Zoro training with Hawkeye, Sanji with Ivankov. It's so good. Almost 600 chapters in and this series continues to blow me away and leave me questioning stuff. It seems like they're setting up Blackbeard to be the ultimate villain here but he is a dick and a loser and I hope he is the first victim in the New World to show the Straw Hats newfound strength.

Also glad to know I was correct Sabo didn't die.

idont really fair to say that blackbeard is a loser. he's arguably the most ambitious character in the story next to luffy. he's gone from a no-name grunt, to a warlord, to the killer of an emperor, to an emperor himself all within the span of like, two years. he's massively powerful individually and his crew is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He was a no-name grunt because he wanted to remain a no-name grunt, he could probably have become an officer in Whitebeard's crew at any time if he felt like it. Ace even points out something along those lines in a flashback I think.

But yeah Blackbeard's a fun character because his personality is so, I dunno, scheming and cowardlike compared to his strength and position? Like you wouldn't see any of the other Emperors begging for their lives or whatever.

For all his spiel about destiny and fate he starts crying when he realizes that Whitebeard is about to kill him.

He looks big and dumb but his ambition belies cunning and patience and perseverance.

He's insanely powerful and durable but (partly due to the nature of his Fruit) he's also a big baby who screams in pain whenever he gets hit (granted the people hitting him are generally very strong people).

Dude's a man of contradictions and it's charming.