Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

What a surprise that Hamas loves Likud and is trying hard to provoke them into a response and help them win an election, who possibly could have predicted this after it literally has happened multiple times before.

We've already established that "Hamas" is the codeword used by Israeli spokespersons and Israeli medias to describe the Israeli government. E.g. "Hamas made us shoot at children and medics", "Hamas caused us to commit war crimes", "it's Hamas who is to blame for us bombing a refugee shelter", "we kicked this puppy because Hamas told us to" and so on. So yes, Likud loves Likud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1111941359336869889?s=19

Holy poo poo I thought at was mortar fire coming down at the start.

40,000 Palestinians are protesting at the Gaza-Israeli border. 2 dead and dozens wounded from Israeli fire.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
bibi is going to have a stroke on the eve of his re-election and yair won't even wait until he's dead to eat his eyes

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1114587779722301440

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Jesus loving christ.

Isn't he facing indictment? I feel like that's usually a time when most politicians gently caress off.

e: actually, am I wrong here or did he not threaten this exact thing before?

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 6, 2019

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I disagree, you can't talk about Hamas's rise to popularity without mentioning its militancy/
There were a bunch of active militant groups in Gaza that lacked the popular support HAMAS had in 2006, and a large body of contemporaneous polling that pointed to HAMAS' relative lack of corruption and effective social programmes as the primary drivers for their support.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Not Operator posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Isn't he facing indictment? I feel like that's usually a time when most politicians gently caress off.

e: actually, am I wrong here or did he not threaten this exact thing before?

It's exactly because he's facing indictment. The charges probably won't blow over, no matter how quiet he gets. So instead he's betting it all on promising the far right everything they've always wanted, in hopes that they'll ignore blatant corruption and support all kinds of anti-democratic moves.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

What's he actually promising the right-wing hardline crowd here? From the jordan to the sea or just increasing settlement approval?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

So instead he's betting it all on promising the far right everything they've always wanted, in hopes that they'll ignore blatant corruption and support all kinds of anti-democratic moves.

Hoping the far right will ignore blatant corruption and support all kinds of anti-democratic moves is like hoping fire will burn.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harik posted:

What's he actually promising the right-wing hardline crowd here? From the jordan to the sea or just increasing settlement approval?

He's promising to officially regard the settlements as Israeli territory, subject to Israeli civil authority, rather than occupied territory governed by military law. Practically speaking, that'd be pretty close to straight-up annexing the settlements.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Main Paineframe posted:

He's promising to officially regard the settlements as Israeli territory, subject to Israeli civil authority, rather than occupied territory governed by military law. Practically speaking, that'd be pretty close to straight-up annexing the settlements.

"Why do the Palestinians keep shooting rockets at us!?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

pro starcraft loser posted:

"Why do the Palestinians keep shooting rockets at us!?"

Where would they put F-16s?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A relative got me into a stupid argument about how these tiny pissant rockets are an "existential threat" to the state of Israel.
and she votes labour.
We are so hosed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Just cast my vote,
All through these days I did my best to convince my family and friends to vote Meretz as I don't know anyone woke enough to vote more to the left.

I don't have high hopes for the results, the latest surveys show that even if Bibi doesn't get to lead it we are getting a government of the right.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

By popular demand posted:

Just cast my vote,
All through these days I did my best to convince my family and friends to vote Meretz as I don't know anyone woke enough to vote more to the left.

I don't have high hopes for the results, the latest surveys show that even if Bibi doesn't get to lead it we are getting a government of the right.
Talking to a new co-worker.

"I'm going to vote for the communist party" - "OMG, we have a communist party? You're kidding me, how could anyone vote for them?"

"Nah, I'm actually voting for Meretz" - "You're kidding me, how could anyone vote for them?"

The overtone window definitely moved way the gently caress to the right.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

My recent immidiate answer to this was "Women's rights".
It should be clear to everyone with a rudimentary understanding of history that human rights start and end with feminism. it should be.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Police confiscated dozens of body cameras placed by Netanyahu's Likud party in polling sites in Palestinian areas.
https://aje.io/qr49j

Huh?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nice to read this morning that Israel does not provide ballots in Arabic despite having plenty of citizens who speak that

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

By popular demand posted:

My recent immidiate answer to this was "Women's rights".
It should be clear to everyone with a rudimentary understanding of history that human rights start and end with feminism. it should be.

It isn't because there are plenty of women who are authoritarians and fascists who hate giving people human rights.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It's important but human rights do not "end" the second you get women to be dictators and CEOs.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Well, me and my family voted. I voted for Hadash-Ta'al, my mom probably for Meretz and my bro for one of those two. No clue about my dad except it's prolly right-wing.

There's not even a hint of hope round here far as I see.

As for ballots, it's not exactly ballots here as they look like in the US. We get these notes with the names of the parties plus a sort of acronym chosen by each party to represent it (not really an acronym since say Likud's (הליכוד) is מחל for instance). And each voter picks one of these and puts them in an envelope that they then drop into a locked box.

So even a non-Jewish party can show the 2-3 letters representing it so non-Hebrew speaking voters know which one to pick. However importantly yes the notes are only in Hebrew. There's no Arabic, English or Russian, and yes it's really bad and something I wish we could work towards correcting along with rescinding that Nationality Law and dismantling the apartheid. I just have little hope of that happening any time soon/ever.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So even a non-Jewish party can show the 2-3 letters representing it so non-Hebrew speaking voters know which one to pick. However importantly yes the notes are only in Hebrew. There's no Arabic, English or Russian, and yes it's really bad and something I wish we could work towards correcting along with rescinding that Nationality Law and dismantling the apartheid. I just have little hope of that happening any time soon/ever.
The doors / walls at my polling place had big posters with the ballot letters which represent each party and the full party name in Hebrew / Russian / Arabic.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

The doors / walls at my polling place had big posters with the ballot letters which represent each party and the full party name in Hebrew / Russian / Arabic.

Lucky you, I didn't see it here (a voting spot in Ramat-Gan). In fact, the only poster I saw around only had information on what disqualifies a ballot.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Couldn't vote because I don't live in Israel anymore. Best of luck, friends.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Labor is panicking about being wiped out entirely. Claim Gantz decided to cannibalize their portion of the vote at the last minute. Facebook appeals, phone calls.

Lots and lots of SMS message from different parties over the course of the day (and the last few weeks). No way to block them, either. Don't remember that being the case in previous national elections.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The SMS situation was almost as bad in the recent Jerusalem municipal election.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Same here for both elections. Tons of SMS, a few robo-calls here and there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so what are the chances bibi wins this? I assume pretty high since he will just slam together as many psycho hard right parties seats until he creates a coalition.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Xander77 posted:

Labor is panicking about being wiped out entirely. Claim Gantz decided to cannibalize their portion of the vote at the last minute. Facebook appeals, phone calls.

Lots and lots of SMS message from different parties over the course of the day (and the last few weeks). No way to block them, either. Don't remember that being the case in previous national elections.

Is this pre-results jitters or is this based on something substantial?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Voting's over, counting's not yet - initial estimation's close. However...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what are the chances bibi wins this? I assume pretty high since he will just slam together as many psycho hard right parties seats until he creates a coalition.

...We have learned to expect disappointments.
Also, note that even if Bibi get second place, he still win if the right-block get more votes, and the left fails to build a coalition (happened IIRC in '09).

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
the most optimistic exit polls show a 60-60 tie, so who knows.

good news: naftali bennett lost his seat. so much for the peacemaker. also zehut didn't get in, so much for the weed/nazi coalition

https://twitter.com/MairavZ/status/1113413979408338944

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Never trust Israeli exit polls.

My prediction: Clear Bibi victory with more or less the same coalition.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Was this "Arab citizens of Israel protest the vote" a natural occurrence in that community or is it a disinformation campaign like what happened in the US in 2016?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lum_ posted:

the most optimistic exit polls show a 60-60 tie, so who knows.

good news: naftali bennett lost his seat. so much for the peacemaker. also zehut didn't get in, so much for the weed/nazi coalition

https://twitter.com/MairavZ/status/1113413979408338944

How's that working out so far?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yawgmoft posted:

Was this "Arab citizens of Israel protest the vote" a natural occurrence in that community or is it a disinformation campaign like what happened in the US in 2016?

from what i understand, its a mix of both. since are both canidates are poo poo and will gently caress them over to court psychos. i can't really blame the,

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Netanyahu winning by one seat?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

93% reporting

Right: 80 loving seats
35 Blue and White
35 Likud
5 United Right
5 Yisrael Beiteinu

Religious right: 16 seats
8 Shas
8 United Torah Judaism

Left: 20 seats
6 Hadash - Ta'al
6 Israeli Labor Party
4 Meretz
4 Ra'am - Balad

Centre: 4
4 Kulanu

Other parties:

:sludgepal:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lol poo poo

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Even if it closes with 10 seats removed from Likud and added to Hadash which is insanely optimistic we're so hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Wait, I thought it was close based on a shitload of exit polls? That looks like a slaughter