Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Deathmatch Moth Martina is certainly not a direction I was expecting from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/mcpwonline/status/1115396403751149568?s=21

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

This was originally booked for the week before WM but got rescheduled

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'all wanna' watch Battle Riot in about an hour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYvF7bF3kKk

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat, I'm weeks behind on MLW or else I totally would.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

My friend pol called me weird for this, but I'd greatly like Martina to be my best friend, or perhaps marry me. No biggie if she won't.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

LividLiquid posted:

I was there for this! Hot crowd. Surprisingly knowledgeable and passionate young crowd. Just a fascinating thing to walk into.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

yea ok posted:

My friend pol called me weird for this, but I'd greatly like Martina to be my best friend, or perhaps marry me. No biggie if she won't.

ah, so you fancy her then?

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

yea ok posted:

She'll only be friends if you change your name back to Cum Cannon or whatever it was before.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

im watching this and the actual battle riot is starting now. MJF and Jim Cornettes friend Dan Severn are out 1st.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yea ok posted:

She's pretty cool tho. You'd have to give up posting on this garbage forum to be as cool as her.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AAWPro/status/1115771662325174272

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

oh dear oh no what ever shall i do

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Battle riot was okay.

I have a hard time caring about indies that just try to do WWE but with lower production values.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Battle riot was okay.

I have a hard time caring about indies that just try to do WWE but with lower production values.

...that's not really remotely accurate. I don't even particularly care for MLW, but their strategy thus far has been "push talented malcontents, unknowns and lucha guys".

What about that says "WWE wannabes"? That's ECW's playbook.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm pretty luke warm on MLW but I'm not sure what I see in them as "trying to be WWE."

I mean, we're not still considering "sports entertainment" a "WWE thing", are we? Or just storylines and characters? MLW didn't even go to the really over the top places Lucha Underground or Impact are going. Their stories actually seem pretty grounded and rooted in wrestling stuff.

If its just a wrestling style I feel like WWE has signed so many guys like AJ, Joe, Steen, La Sombra, Nakamura, etc that they're basically doing a quasi "hybrid" style just becasue of their roster so it would be hard not to do a similar "hybrid" American style promotion without just going all in one style.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ehhhhh. Last year they had segments where ICE detained Lucha Bros and Low Ki shanked Konnan with a spike for 30 seconds uninterrupted, they haven't been perfect in the story department

As for Battle Riot (I'm assuming that's the particular thing that's getting the WWE comparison) lots of companies do Royal Rumble knockoffs, at least this one isn't called a Rumble

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not saying MLW stories have been GOOD. As I said I'm luke warm. But the Low Ki/Konnan thing actually felt very old school southern wrestling to me, just with a latinx spin. I thought that whole Low Ki hired gun/trophy collector/will do anything to keep the belt run was kind of flawed but very old school in a way I definitely don't feel like I've seen from WWE for a very, very long time.

I actually somehow completely missed the ICE thing or just don't remember it. I assume that was part of the Salina/Konnan struggle for their contracts?

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

mlw is dull as dirt and you'd have no idea the talented malcontents, unknowns, and lucha guys were any good if you only followed mlw just like with the wwe and half the guys stac goat mentioned

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Dave posted:

mlw is dull as dirt and you'd have no idea the talented malcontents, unknowns, and lucha guys were any good if you only followed mlw just like with the wwe and half the guys stac goat mentioned

Sure, but that just means their product sucks. It doesn't necessarily make them WWE imitators.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do think that's basically MLW's problem. There's just nothing exciting going on. If someone asked me what in MLW they have to see I'd have to go like back to the first Battle Riot when Lawler was still kind of hot (and even that wasn't like a "must watch"). There's just no creative spark to their booking.

But I don't think that has anything to do with whether or not they're trying to be like WWE.

There's probably some bad luck involved that Low Ki and Lawlor had terrible matches after being built forever. But MLW also dragged that out for so long. And the Lucha Bros had the tag belts forever and even though I really enjoy Salina there was kind of no payoff or anything for that or their run. And the Hart Foundation are just kind of collecting belts with nothing really to it. My viewing stopped right around MJF seemed to be building a group to go against them, but it doesn't sound like that's really created a buzz (and I get the impression MJF might be gone and exclusive to AEW?).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 10, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MLW definitely tries to present things differently than WWE. They just aren't very good at presenting a compelling product. It's clear they want to present something different from WWE from the announcing to the presentation of the "fighters" but at the end of the day MLW is pretty not great.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Yeah, they have lots of good names but the TV shows are all pretty boring. Sometimes they're good, very rarely great. It's truly bizarre.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Beyond wrestling's show is tonight gangrel is on it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Well, that could end in a whole lotta blood

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1116080569224519680

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

indie wrestling is the best

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Phew

https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1116087256375279616?s=19

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

beyond is extremely punk rock and i love it for that. i watched episode 1 of uncharted territory while i was doing the taxes, i liked it, i'll keep watching, i was definitely hoping for some like quick cutaway promos between matches and stuff, seems like it'd take it to the next level and wouldn't be that hard to do if they just pre-tape things. but still, i like it and it's a lot more interesting of a weekly indie show than mlw.

i made this lil pocket sized marko stunt and i like him a lot so im gonna post him here
https://twitter.com/FreezeGraphic/status/1116103873133973505

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

...that's not really remotely accurate. I don't even particularly care for MLW, but their strategy thus far has been "push talented malcontents, unknowns and lucha guys".

What about that says "WWE wannabes"? That's ECW's playbook.
I wasn't clear. I don't so much mean the talent they have signed or are pushing, or even non-backstage stuff at all, really. But remember how Nitro, and before a certain point, WWF, had Mene Gene or somebody else conducting all of the backstage interviews, and wrestlers would talk to the camera or Gene instead of pretending there were no cameras present? And if somebody was a stinker of a promo, he'd try to get them through it, and then they probably wouldn't get the opportunity to talk again?

That's my jam. It makes things look like a sport, no matter how outlandish things occasionally get, and it gives people a net to work over.

Now, Lucha Underground and then later TNA went full-on telenovella presentation with the backstage stuff which is so far in the other direction, and I don't like that either, but at least it's different than WWE's approach, for better or worse.

Backstage skits with people who can't act their way out of a paper bag just make me cringe. It's not fun to watch. It's like going to a bad improv show where you're just embarrassed for everybody involved and want to squirm out of your seat.

The wrestling's great, and Schiavone and Cornette have made everything that isn't backstage into a very watchable show, but I just can't stand that WWE style backstage stuff.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My favorite version of that is the NJPW post match interview, which WWE actually tried to do a while back. Just a few comments after the match, but it allows for so much (ex. ZSJ's post match comments during the 2018 New Japan Cup, Tanahashi's comments after the MSG show)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I love the NJPW post match comment thing. Pressure's off, just go out there and say something. So many stories get told in those 2-3 minute promos without needing promos on the proper show.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Phenix Rising posted:

I love the NJPW post match comment thing. Pressure's off, just go out there and say something. So many stories get told in those 2-3 minute promos without needing promos on the proper show.

Sometimes they’re things that never see the light of day otherwise, like Oka insisting he had a named tag team with Kitamura (MONSTER RAGE!!), or all of the 2017 G1 Bullet Club promos where they would ignore the results of the match to talk about Yujiro’s sex life and ball size.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MJF is gonna say some very unkind things, and BOY DOES HE HAVE SOME AMMO.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That's a fistfight.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

shiksa posted:

beyond is extremely punk rock and i love it for that. i watched episode 1 of uncharted territory while i was doing the taxes, i liked it, i'll keep watching, i was definitely hoping for some like quick cutaway promos between matches and stuff, seems like it'd take it to the next level and wouldn't be that hard to do if they just pre-tape things. but still, i like it and it's a lot more interesting of a weekly indie show than mlw.

you might get some of that as it goes on, Drew's been more focused the first couple of weeks with trying to get everything timed and running smoothly

I was down there for episode 1 and Rich had to tell us that we wouldn't be able to do our usual in-ring banter with him because they had a 2 hour slot

we didn't even get Bro Hymn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

I am willing to bet that MJF wasn't born yet when that picture of Douglas was taken.