Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Delid it you coward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

3D print a delidding tool and hit it with a hammer

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
You’d have to hit it with your car or something.

I wonder what the bga pitch is on those and if the layout people all die of heart attacks when attempting to escape the high speed signals.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Jesus H. Christ. It's like Intel wants to lose more marketshare to AMD. :staredog:

eames
May 9, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Jesus H. Christ. It's like Intel wants to lose more marketshare to AMD. :staredog:

Hey at least they're doing it in entertaining and creative ways :v:

mewse
May 2, 2006

priznat posted:

You’d have to hit it with your car or something.

They have to update this guide then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx641tAZFH0

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Intel is fine. They can provide a whole stack to the enterprise or cloud provider, which AMD cannot.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol do not use intel networking

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Do like nics that start randomly rebroadcast traffic to each other while in S3 for no reason, effectively looping your network if two or more systems start doing that behavior on a segment at a time?

Do you like wildly unstable linux drivers that will drop link EVERY loving TEN SECONDS that they refuse to fix and instead just wallpaper over the problem by reinitializing the driver as quickly as possible?

WELL HAVE I GOT A PRODUCT FOR YOU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoNtXVMOutE

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol do not use intel networking

Around six years ago, I found an issue that almost got Intel CNA cards removed from VMware's ESX hardware compatibility list, the threat from VMware engineering got them to pay attention to the issue.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Dell had to eat a full swap in our VMware cluster from X710's to whatever Qlogic was selling because of how poo poo they were. Spent over 6 months fighting with them and trying every conceivable firmware and driver combo we could think of and they were still horrible. Incredibly fast, could do 10gig line speed on 64 byte frames, but the firmware and drivers were atrocious. The qlogics could only hit 4-5gig on standard 1500 byte frames and would only hit 10gig on jumbos but at least they could hold a drat link.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Would you rather use an intel nic or a Realtek one though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Killer NICs my dude :smugdog:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nvidia NICs

(rip Mellanox)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cygni posted:

Nvidia NICs

(rip Mellanox)

I wonder if they keep the mellanox brand, it isn’t that established/well known but on the other hand seeing nvidia nics is too weird.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What... nvidia nics have AIDS.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

Would you rather use an intel nic or a Realtek one though

I would honestly prefer the realteks because they don't cause broadcast storms in the middle of the night on systems in S3.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

When did the Intel NICs all go to poo poo? I remember making very conscious choices in my home hardware to make sure I had all Intel NICs. Though, they are all 82xxx series GigE NICs, not 10GbE.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Their consumer NICs are much better than the competition. Their server products are apparently a different story, and they gave up a ton of marketshare to Mellanox.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Intel's server products have some seeeeriously dodgy Linux drivers that tend to mangle every single offload feature possible.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 10, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mellanox dual 100GbE NICs with x16 Gen4 are really sweet for NVMe over Fabric/RDMA :coal:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
RIP Mellanox.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

movax posted:

When did the Intel NICs all go to poo poo? I remember making very conscious choices in my home hardware to make sure I had all Intel NICs. Though, they are all 82xxx series GigE NICs, not 10GbE.

We've been having issues on our optiplex fleet with embedded intel nics for at least the last five years requiring firmware updates to correct.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

We've been having issues on our optiplex fleet with embedded intel nics for at least the last five years requiring firmware updates to correct.

Beginning to think these issues have a r of nearly 1 as subsequent generations of Intel desktop platforms introduced even more ME / out-of-band management functions...

So, who's left for consumer NICs that doesn't completely suck? Realtek? Does Broadcom even play in that space anymore? Aquantia on high-end platforms? Intel has the advantage where virtually every single PCH they ship has a MAC for "free" and all the OEM has to do is buy the conveniently high-priced Intel PHY (that at least a few generations ago, ate one of the PCIe lanes from the PCH doing probably pseudo-SGMII or something) to offer an Ethernet solution.

I used the 82574L frequently in SBC / motherboard designs and bought quite a few of the PCIe x1 cards they came on for various home servers around 2009-2010 or so (gently caress, 10 years ago was 90nm for NICs and 1Gbit is still plenty for networking in consumer tech?!) and they were pretty bullet proof. I want to say the 82579 is the P/N for the PHY that accompanied the PCH around Ibex Peak and Cougar Peak?

movax fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 11, 2019

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
For plain old GigE, the Intel i2xx series is still being produced and pops up here and there on some motherboards.

You could always slap an old x540-t2 in there for 10gigE and be set for the next decade if recent onboard stuff is really as bad as it sounds. They’re (relatively)cheap, and I’ve never had an issue with them, despite my concerns due to the suspiciously low prices that pop up on eBay. Although I just use mine to connect to my internet router, and use the second port to crossover to my wife’s PC directly since I don’t think my router even support 10 GigE. She sends over a ton of backup data to the big hard drive in my computer while also using ICS without any complaints for years now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

movax posted:

So, who's left for consumer NICs that doesn't completely suck?

I suppose it depends what you mean by "consumer." In most venues, "consumer" means 1GbE on Windows, for which Intel's NICs are still quite good. I've also never had an issue with them under BSD, either.

10GbE and above is a different issue, but also generally outside "consumer" spec, as well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was planning on using the built-in Aquantia 10G NIC on my board for a primary NIC. Good/bad idea?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was planning on using the built-in Aquantia 10G NIC on my board for a primary NIC. Good/bad idea?

Already doing this on my Supermicro Z390, used the default Intel NIC to get the driver from the mobo vendor site. Swapped ports and have had no issues for more than a month now.

The Comcast connection where I live maxes out at 450-ish Mbits/s so i can't be a judge of multi gig perfomance though.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

priznat posted:

Mellanox dual 100GbE NICs with x16 Gen4 are really sweet for NVMe over Fabric/RDMA :coal:

All that Ethernet overhead? Gross.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

True, need a proper gen4 pcie over optical solution for distance. Altho some of the Mellanox cards do infiniband too but I have never used that so it is mysterious to me

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Would one of you mind breaking that down? Ethernet overhead, gen4?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
When you're connecting really fast systems ethernet becomes a limitation instead of just a protocol. Gen 4 PCI-E allows up to 32 GB per second. A single 100 gbit link can max out a gen 3 connection.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

we got super-jumbo 16 and 64k frames now, its not too bad. even my 5 year old Force10 gear would support up to 12k.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

priznat posted:

True, need a proper gen4 pcie over optical solution for distance. Altho some of the Mellanox cards do infiniband too but I have never used that so it is mysterious to me

IB is weird but good at what it does. Haven’t had a chance to play with the 200G stuff yet.

Most of the gen4 fabrics are using the Ethernet PHY.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

we got super-jumbo 16 and 64k frames now, its not too bad. even my 5 year old Force10 gear would support up to 12k.

Packet size doesn’t necessarily help with small message latency though.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

Packet size doesn’t necessarily help with small message latency though.

You're talking about microseconds of overhead, it doesn't matter in the vast majority of use cases and you should be using Optane if it does.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

You're talking about microseconds of overhead, it doesn't matter in the vast majority of use cases and you should be using Optane if it does.

Yeah, 1 to 10 us is still an order of magnitude. Not everything is storage and for what is lol at optane baby capacity.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

Yeah, 1 to 10 us is still an order of magnitude. Not everything is storage and for what is lol at optane baby capacity.

Sounds like someone is too poor for a 1.5TB 4800x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Sounds like someone is too poor for a 1.5TB 4800x

All the way out in PCIe land? Pass, I don't have all day.