Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I'm choosing to read it as Juggernaut talking in the third person.

That was my read with no other context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This could also go in the funny panel thread. This type of ridiculousness is why I love comics.

(I still don't know how to take screenshot from my kindle, sorry). From Immortal Hulk.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Puck?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Eugene Judd is his civilian name, I believe.

He seems to be short, though. Does that mean the demon Razer is inside him again?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yep.

Everyone needs to read Immortal Hulk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
"In Spain I fought bulls and fascists, I let the bulls live" is loving :black101:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love how clearly terrified Creel is of Puck in the next-to-last panel.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Eugene Judd is his civilian name, I believe.

He seems to be short, though. Does that mean the demon Razer is inside him again?

Somewhere along the line he got rid of the demon and got garden variety super-toughness and strength that kept him short, I believe.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/1101586406596591622

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Are they sure the police didn't offer protection to America Nazis to protect them from Jack Kirby?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

Are they sure the police didn't offer protection to America Nazis to protect them from Jack Kirby?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

David D. Davidson posted:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Man I love Jack Kirby

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Seldom Posts posted:

Somewhere along the line he got rid of the demon and got garden variety super-toughness and strength that kept him short, I believe.

Reading his entry on the marvel wikia fandom page is quite a roller coaster of height changing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I cannot stress just how insulting it is to say one of the only little people superheroes is short as a result of a demonic pact.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I cannot stress just how insulting it is to say one of the only little people superheroes is short as a result of a demonic pact.

Also, when he cartwheels into battle, he kinda looks like a hockey puck. Also also, he's Canadian.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

before the demon thing he was always described as having a body that was like hard rubber

he's always been a Canadian hockey puck man

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

I remember reading that issue and, even as a twelve year old kid, thinking, "man, this is bullshit."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

Also, when he cartwheels into battle, he kinda looks like a hockey puck. Also also, he's Canadian.

See that's fine. I doubt any Canadian is gonna read that and feel they're being dehumanized. In fact I think most of them probably think it owns.

I think Puck is a great character overall, since he seems like he's a comic relief guy at first glance but he's actually the biggest badass in the world, and despite being the most hardcore guy possible he's not a gruff rear end in a top hat. But him being a dwarf should just be a thing about him, not some kinda weird tie-in to hell dimensions. It's about as tone deaf as if Luke Cage got turned black by the experiment that gave him powers.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I remember reading that issue and, even as a twelve year old kid, thinking, "man, this is bullshit."

John Byrne is a big rear end in a top hat, but he wanted Puck's size and chest pains to be the results of a specific medical condition that exists in real life, and was rightfully annoyed when they made it demon stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

3 weeks with no update? Looks like it's manga to the rescue!

Kami-sama no Iu Toori 2 aka As The God's Will 2
(This is the 2nd series. First series was relatively short)

Japan are the kings of battle royale death world scenarios, and this series is no exception.

Short short short version is the blond haired kid, Kami, has the powers of a god and has trapped an entire school's worth of kids in a death game made up of Japanese childrens kids games with a deadly twist. You win, you live. You lose, you're killed instantly. If you survive all the way to the end? You win the power of a god. At the start of the series there are hundreds of kids just trying to survive, and numbers are whittled down dramatically. To give you a sense of just how hosed up this series can get, here's the trailer for the movie adaptation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEh1fT1IH14

Sooooooo right off the deep end in terms of setup.

:siren: As always read Right to Left :siren:

In this scene Akashi, the series protagonist, is forced to play Rock Paper Scissors against Kami to move to the next stage of the death game. At the start of this round there were 20 odd kids left, only a handful have survived, the majority being killed instantly.

Anyone that has attempted to attack Kami has been killed for doing so, but Akashi has had enough of seeing his new found friends die one after another, after spending nearly 3 weeks stuck in a never ending death game; which leads us to

Like the 'Protagonist-Gets-So-Ultra-Pissed-Off-He-Punches-The-poo poo-Out-Of-Someone-For-Doing-Something-So-Reprehensibly-Evil' is a pretty generic trope in anime and manga, but man is it great to see it executed well :allears:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

As soon as I read Rock paper scissors I knew what was going to happen, and it was great as I thought it would be.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Like Thor, basically every Conan comic could be here

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I've not read a lot of Conan but from what I have read I like that a basic running theme is "man, gently caress wizards"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The only thing that dwarfs Conan's hate for wizards is how much wizards hate Conan. It's loving awesome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
From the stories I've read, he meets all of one wizard who doesn't try to kill or ensorcel him, but he's still cacklingly evil, and he's only not trying to kill slash ensorcel Conan because they're both cooperating to take vengeance on the even more bastardly wizard that imprisoned the both of them.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

There's a recurring character who's like, a good sorcerer or priest type, who hires Conan as a bodyguard or soldier sometimes when he's fighting evil wizards.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

He makes a friend early on (the guy with the tiger skin shirt and a mohawk I think) who was a wizards slave who knows some magic tricks he gets along with. Until the inevitable mind control/comedy of manners fight. So much drama with that guy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm pretty sure a recurring thing with Thoth-Amon is being pissed at himself that he was scrying for potential threats a couple decades earlier and saw a young barbarian teen loving off out of Cimmeria to go on adventures, and ignored it because what the gently caress could some gangly barbarian rear end in a top hat ever do to cause HIM trouble? :laugh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Grappler Baki is... an acquired taste. The art style is unique, and the artists grasp on physiology is tenuous as best... but then you have books that are just constantly full of moments like below.

Baki-dou - Chapter 162

:siren: As always read Right to Left :siren:
(Tried to minimise the amount of pages used)

You don't need to know anything other than the samurai is the clone of Miyamoto Musashi (Don't ask) and the scarred to hell guy in the fundoshi is Hanayama, a member of the Yakuza

Hanayama has just punched the ever loving poo poo out of Musashi.

Hanayama is a loving powerhouse of a character

Good right? Well that's not even the most badass part of the CHAPTER

Hanayama don't give a shiiiiiiiiit

:allears:

Baki has been in serialisation for nearly 30 years now, by the same artist Keisuke Itagaki, so it def knows what it's about. Overly detailed muscular men beating the poo poo out of each other in impossible poses.

There's a pretty good adaptation of the first saga of the 2nd manga series up on Netflix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSp8NJEw34

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Spy X Family.

It's Mr and Mrs Smith, but manga.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Squidster posted:

Spy X Family.

It's Mr and Mrs Smith, but manga.

Is this supposed to be badass in an ironic way?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I dunno what to tell you, man. If getting married mid-gunfight with a grenade pin ring isn't totally sweet to you, I don't know what could measure up.

I guess you could pretend it's Batman marrying Catwoman, if you need to.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

hoo boy I am still bitter about that I tell you what

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Squidster posted:

I dunno what to tell you, man. If getting married mid-gunfight with a grenade pin ring isn't totally sweet to you, I don't know what could measure up.

I guess you could pretend it's Batman marrying Catwoman, if you need to.

Ah, so that's what's happening there, huh?

See, that's the problem with people posting manga in this thread. For every Baki post that actually deserves a spot here, we get dozens of manga posts that need an explainer as to why they're badass. And then the people posting the manga get super defensive and blame the thread for being racist against glorious Nippon and its wonderful comics.

At this point, it's predictable to the point of being ridiculous.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ecavalli posted:

See, that's the problem with people posting manga in this thread. For every Baki post that actually deserves a spot here, we get dozens of manga posts that need an explainer as to why they're badass. And then the people posting the manga get super defensive and blame the thread for being racist against glorious Nippon and its wonderful comics.

how could it need more explanation than "its mr and ms smith but manga"?
its a couple fighting a battle and showing their love. literally mr and ms smith.
and I mean for fucks sake how many times has someone posted like the entire moment leading up to the climax with no problem but if someone does it for a manga "this is so confusing why do they do this"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ecavalli posted:

those three panels literally could not be more obvious as to what is happening and you are projecting so hard you should apply for a job at AMC

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I had an argument ready to go, but gently caress it. If you all found that image to be comprehensibly badass, more power to you.

Let's move on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is literally wedding vows and a grenade getting the pin pulled. It isn't some mysterious secret of the far east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Similarly don't find it badass. It's not inscrutable, it just feels like the lead-up panels to an actual badass wedding pose with the grenade exploding in the background, something like that. Instead we have generic grenade, campy goon panel, and some badassmotherfuckingmanicuredhandsholyshitdidyoureallyseethat!!?!