Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If anyone has this issue, and logging back in and restarting the app doesn't fix it, let us know just in case there's something else going on at the same time as all these cookies expiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Blank page issue on my Galaxy tablet running android, logging out and in does not resolve it, visiting threads multiple times does nothing either. Broken since most recent update.

Edit: clearing data does nothing

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 9, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I posted my fix above for the blank threads guys. Clear the app data and log back in.

Settings might be back to default but everything has been dandy since.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but when probated, the app didn't seem to load the forums at all. It would just pull up cached versions of the bookmarks and threads.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
When previewing a post with the OLED theme, the text is black (like the background) and invisible.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

If anyone has this issue, and logging back in and restarting the app doesn't fix it, let us know just in case there's something else going on at the same time as all these cookies expiring

Having the same issues as this:

Barbelith posted:

I'm having the same problem on a rooted Nexus 10 running Android 7.1.1

Everything looks normal, until I try to open a thread, then it's just a blank white page with the reply icon on the bottom right. Clearing all data and reinstalling didn't help. Started happening with the 3.6.4 update.

Tried the same steps: logging out & in, clearing data, reinstalling, to no avail. On a rooted V Mobile V10-Y running android 7.0. Have a new phone arriving tomorrow anyway so hopefully will be fine on that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I've only been able to find Niric and Barbelith in the logs, and you're both having some issues where it can't lookup forums.somethingawful.com - can you both check if turning wifi off and on again helps (maybe closing the app first, then opening it after the wifi's been reconnected) or if it works on mobile data, or anything like that? Do you get a "Loading Failed" popup when you try to open a thread? Also if you open a thread, does the unread count go down? (Might have to look at it on the website to check)

Is it only the thread view that's broken - can you browse forums/bookmarks/PMs/announcements?

Tanith posted:

When previewing a post with the OLED theme, the text is black (like the background) and invisible.

hmm it sure is

Charles posted:

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but when probated, the app didn't seem to load the forums at all. It would just pull up cached versions of the bookmarks and threads.

yeah that still needs fixing

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

I've only been able to find Niric and Barbelith in the logs, and you're both having some issues where it can't lookup forums.somethingawful.com - can you both check if turning wifi off and on again helps (maybe closing the app first, then opening it after the wifi's been reconnected)

Nope

quote:

or if it works on mobile data, or anything like that?

Nope

quote:

Do you get a "Loading Failed" popup when you try to open a thread?

Nope

quote:

Also if you open a thread, does the unread count go down? (Might have to look at it on the website to check)

Yep

quote:

Is it only the thread view that's broken - can you browse forums/bookmarks/PMs/announcements?

Can see everything except announcements. Cheers for all the work you guys put into this by the way

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Niric posted:

Nope

Nope

Nope

Yep

Can see everything except announcements. Cheers for all the work you guys put into this by the way

Can you log in and browse in Chrome or whatever mobile browser you have?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

yeah that still needs fixing

Thanks, sorry if it's a duplicate report. I used forums search to search within this thread for other reports but I realized the indexer probably is out of date. Oops.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Charles posted:

Thanks, sorry if it's a duplicate report. I used forums search to search within this thread for other reports but I realized the indexer probably is out of date. Oops.

More like all the normal app users are far too polite to ever get probied

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

Can you log in and browse in Chrome or whatever mobile browser you have?

Yeah, this seems to work fine.

Also re announcement, my feedback was a bit misleading. I can see the pop up "you have 1 unread announcement" but clicking through it's just a blank thread

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Niric posted:

Nope

Nope

Nope

Yep

Identical situation for me. The app works perfectly on my phone, btw, the blank pages are only on my tablet.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

baka kaba posted:

I've only been able to find Niric and Barbelith in the logs, and you're both having some issues where it can't lookup forums.somethingawful.com - can you both check if turning wifi off and on again helps (maybe closing the app first, then opening it after the wifi's been reconnected) or if it works on mobile data, or anything like that? Do you get a "Loading Failed" popup when you try to open a thread? Also if you open a thread, does the unread count go down? (Might have to look at it on the website to check)

Mine fixed itself magically after one day and works normally now, but as far as I remember unread count went down when opening a thread, and thread view/forums view refreshed normally. No loading failed popups, just white blankness. Also only happened on my ancient tablet (Nexus 10 from 2012 or so), on my phone the issue never appeared.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Confirm the app works fine on my new phone

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thanks guys - if it's literally only the thread view that's not working (and other stuff that uses it like announcements) then it's a webview issue where it's just not rendering the page for some drat reason! The only thing that changed there is a stricter content policy, it shouldn't stop the whole thing from failing. I can't reproduce it on an emulator though so it's hard to debug it

Meatgrinder posted:

Identical situation for me. The app works perfectly on my phone, btw, the blank pages are only on my tablet.

You both said you're on rooted devices, right? Are these stock roms or are you using something else? If you go into Developer Options in your device settings (if it's not there, go to About Device at the bottom, scroll down to Build Number, mash it a few times) what WebView implementation are you using, and what's available in the list? If it's Chrome, is it the Stable version? And does updating Chrome do anything?

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

baka kaba posted:

You both said you're on rooted devices, right? Are these stock roms or are you using something else? If you go into Developer Options in your device settings (if it's not there, go to About Device at the bottom, scroll down to Build Number, mash it a few times) what WebView implementation are you using, and what's available in the list? If it's Chrome, is it the Stable version? And does updating Chrome do anything?

Chrome Stable, yeah. Not sure if a Chrome update fixed it for me, I don't know if there's a way to view an app's update history.

I'm running a Pure Nexus rom from 2017.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You can go to My Apps & Games in the play store app, under Updates it'll show you what it recently updated and how long ago. It doesn't keep the list around though so if it was a day or two ago it might not be in there

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

I'm probably just being thick, but I cant see how to check the WebView implementation in the DeveloperOptions menu. No idea how the phone was rooted, this is just a friend's old handset that I got last year after breaking mine mid contract!

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Thanks guys - if it's literally only the thread view that's not working (and other stuff that uses it like announcements) then it's a webview issue where it's just not rendering the page for some drat reason! The only thing that changed there is a stricter content policy, it shouldn't stop the whole thing from failing. I can't reproduce it on an emulator though so it's hard to debug it

My device isn't rooted. I've looked into the developers options but there is nothing there called webview. I also do not have Chrome installed.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I had blank threads views on an unrooted device despite logging out and clearing application data, but switching webview from Android WebView to Chrome Stable made it work. :toot:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhh ok, one of youse was rooted but it ended up working, so it's probably not related to that

The WebView option should be here:

and if I tap it I can choose between Chrome Stable and Google WebView. If I disable the Chrome app then I can only choose Google WebView (but the option is still there in the menu)

basically from 7.0 onwards, Google WebView is disabled by default and Chrome is used as the system webview instead. Think of it like a browser engine that apps like Awful can use to display content. So as Chrome updates, the system-wide WebView is updated too - which can be important for things like compatibility and new features. The original Google WebView is still installed, it's just not updated because it's not in use. If you switch to Google WebView instead (either in that menu, or by disabling Chrome so it falls back to the default) then you should be able to update that in the same way

I know some of you have updates turned off? So it's probably worth making sure Chrome or Android System WebView are up to date. Also are you all coming from the previous app version, 3.6.2? Or were you on an earlier one and skipped a few updates? Just helps to know since earlier changes might cause this if your webview isn't up to date, but I can't really see anything that changed in this version that should affect it

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
This has almost certainly been asked, but is there any chance of ever including SAclopedia? It's a pita to have to go to a browser for that and then getting Awful kicked out of memory as a result. (I know my phone sucks and it's not your fault I only have a gig of ram.)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's not really a priority - do many people actually use it?

We could probably add a menu option that opens it in a browser for you, actually integrating it into the app doesn't look that hard but it's just finding the time, y'know?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

That was never a planned feature because there is used to be an app for that.

It was made by the dev of the windows app but at some point the login stopped working and as far as I can tell he has since removed the app from the play store

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm fairly sure I got blank threads after updating from the immediately prior version. At least I never intentionally skipped versions.

I don't know why I didn't have the chrome webview selected. I have it installed and updated, I just use firefox all the time.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I just opened the debug build for the first time in a while and was greeted by an empty bookmarks list that went away after loggin out and back in. So yeah, we used to be overzealous with the cookies, now we seem to be too lax.

Also google broke the fullscreen video functionality apparently. Thanks guys.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 11, 2019

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Ohhh ok, one of youse was rooted but it ended up working, so it's probably not related to that

The WebView option should be here:

and if I tap it I can choose between Chrome Stable and Google WebView. If I disable the Chrome app then I can only choose Google WebView (but the option is still there in the menu)

basically from 7.0 onwards, Google WebView is disabled by default and Chrome is used as the system webview instead. Think of it like a browser engine that apps like Awful can use to display content. So as Chrome updates, the system-wide WebView is updated too - which can be important for things like compatibility and new features. The original Google WebView is still installed, it's just not updated because it's not in use. If you switch to Google WebView instead (either in that menu, or by disabling Chrome so it falls back to the default) then you should be able to update that in the same way

I know some of you have updates turned off? So it's probably worth making sure Chrome or Android System WebView are up to date. Also are you all coming from the previous app version, 3.6.2? Or were you on an earlier one and skipped a few updates? Just helps to know since earlier changes might cause this if your webview isn't up to date, but I can't really see anything that changed in this version that should affect it

Ah! Comparing your screenshot to my device I noticed quite a few differences so I went and checked my version on the tablet: 5.1.1. A quick search revealed that in that build, webview was actually a seperate apk that needed updating through the playstore. Sure enough, it was there: installed but for some reason disabled. I enabled and updated it and am now posting from my tablet again.

Problem solved! Thanks for your work and your assistance, guys.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We should write our own webview. With blackjack and hookers

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hell I think there's already a few others you can install, please don't though........

Sereri posted:

I just opened the debug build for the first time in a while and was greeted by an empty bookmarks list that went away after loggin out and back in. So yeah, we used to be overzealous with the cookies, now we seem to be too lax.

Also google broke the fullscreen video functionality apparently. Thanks guys.

Yeah I opened an issue about the cookies, probably need to fix that quick because it's real confusing and I bet it's gonna happen to a stream of people since they all started expiring recently

On the plus side the webview video stuff is hopefully fixed in the next release which is soonish? Some permissions thing I dunno

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello, yes, I think I broke my Awful app

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok.
Uninstalled and reinstalled, to no avail.

Logged out then logged back in, and everything seems to be working now

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Charles posted:

Well I hope you're happy!! Baka ate a probie just to test this

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Twitter embeds are not working again

Now they are working again 🙃

Altared State fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 13, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

Twitter embeds are not working again

Now they are working again 🙃

Twitter’s API eats poo poo all the time and has for years. I think every time there’s been a problem it’s their fault rather than the app. Give it a minute and reload, that almost always works.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Probes and the expired cookie issue should be fixed now, and maybe some of the other weird issues people were having

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

App updated last night, now attempting to rate a thread gives an error message? I haven't tried anything, will reinstall if it's just me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

*sad doh*

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

angryrobots posted:

App updated last night, now attempting to rate a thread gives an error message? I haven't tried anything, will reinstall if it's just me.

Just tried rating this thread 5, got an error message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Just tried rating this thread 5, got an error message.

Try rating it a 1 and see if it works.