Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lambert posted:

So, what you're saying is that it's "adequate quality", not "really high quality".

it's transparent quality excluding edge cases (of difficult encoding problems or outlier hearing ability)

if you can differentiate in a blind test or you feel better with the placebo, go ahead and use something higher. just please shut up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Violator posted:

Anyone prefer either Alfred 3 or Launchbar? I used Quicksilver years and years ago but switched to regular Spotlight when it got fast enough in like 10.9 or whatever it was. But I do a lot of repetitive file moving, copying, browsing, etc. and looking at these launcher feature sets it looks like they might be a nice improvement to my workflow.

Edit: Trying Alfred and wow is it fast and the preferences are super vast.

Alfred is my goto on both of my devices. Don't bother with the Alfred Remote gimmick app though, it doesn't really work.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

emdash posted:

it's transparent quality excluding edge cases (of difficult encoding problems or outlier hearing ability)

if you can differentiate in a blind test or you feel better with the placebo, go ahead and use something higher. just please shut up about it

When ripping CDs, I'm not going to settle for adequate quality. I'm ripping lossless. If you're happy with bad quality, go ahead. But please shut up about it.

Really, shut up about it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Spotlight is cool and good but I use Alfred since there's so many nice features. I'd be down for Apple just putting it all into Spotlight at some point.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I make no claim to superior hearing, but compression artifacts are obvious to me and present in most everything now. It bums me out that generations of people will never know how degraded their listening experience is.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

When ripping CDs, I'm not going to settle for adequate quality. I'm ripping lossless. If you're happy with bad quality, go ahead. But please shut up about it.

Can you just go away please?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

Can you just go away please?

Please shut up

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lambert posted:

You're the dude who started a slap fight over whether or not a file format that's indistinguishable from the source material 99.7% of the time could be classified as high quality.

If it makes you sleep better at night knowing you've got a FLAC library, that's fine, but don't act like you or anybody else in this thread could pass a double blind test, because we can't.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Feeling threatened and lashing out about someone spending a few more bits on actual high quality is pretty bizarre, but you do you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please post these excellent opinions in this thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333 - it’s been a while since there’s been some new blood.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with ripping to FLAC instead of something else. I do that, but the files I listen to day in day out are LAME V0. File size is reasonable and sounds perfectly fine. All the FLAC files are stored on an external hard drive, mostly so I have a lossless copy for whatever reason I may need it. Ripping and tagging vinyl records is fairly time consuming, so I don’t want to do it again if I don’t have to.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Violator posted:

Anyone prefer either Alfred 3 or Launchbar? I used Quicksilver years and years ago but switched to regular Spotlight when it got fast enough in like 10.9 or whatever it was. But I do a lot of repetitive file moving, copying, browsing, etc. and looking at these launcher feature sets it looks like they might be a nice improvement to my workflow.

Edit: Trying Alfred and wow is it fast and the preferences are super vast.

Alfred Powerpack with custom workflows are pretty great, but you have to be a little more conscious of how you search for things. I google/amazon/ebay/imdb/wikipedia search right from Alfred.

Also holy crap, I went all-in with Better Touch Tool GoldenChaos Pack (will a few adjustments), and I can't believe how much more useful my TouchBar is now.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 10, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lambert posted:

Can you post anywhere without sounding like a huge stupid dick?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lambert posted:

Please shut up

:lol::lol:

Lambert posted:

Feeling threatened and lashing out about someone spending a few more bits on actual high quality is pretty bizarre, but you do you.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Lambert posted:

You must be a blast at parties...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

nitsuga posted:

What OS are you running on your devices? I remember our Apple SE at work saying there was a bug in earlier versions of iOS and macOS. I thought he said they finally fixed that in 10.13.5 or 10.13.6 though.

Latest versions of everything. Someone in the iPhone thread suggested I change the wifi preference order in macOS though so I did that and it seems to be ok now, on the mac end of things. On my iPhone it still feels like it prefers to join the wifi network that my iPad is connected to (or vice versa) instead of sticking with the 2.4 GHz network like I want, but that's not as much of a problem as my mac joining the wrong network.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Weird glitch I'm wondering if anyone can help me fix: I have a bunch of aliases on my desktop to oft-used folders, and they have custom icons. I booted up today (Sierra) and some of the alias icons have reverted to the default folder icon. The destination folder still has the custom icon, the alias doesn't. Is there a way to refresh those icons?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mister Speaker posted:

Weird glitch I'm wondering if anyone can help me fix: I have a bunch of aliases on my desktop to oft-used folders, and they have custom icons. I booted up today (Sierra) and some of the alias icons have reverted to the default folder icon. The destination folder still has the custom icon, the alias doesn't. Is there a way to refresh those icons?

When in the Finder, select Show View Options from the View menu, then deselect and reselect the checkbox for Show icon preview. I regularly have to do this to get some custom icons to show up again after rebooting. Seems like some kind of caching bug that Apple hasn't fixed for years.

You can also right-click (or ctrl-click) on the Desktop and select Show View Options from the contextual menu to do the same thing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Anton Chigurh posted:

When in the Finder, select Show View Options from the View menu, then deselect and reselect the checkbox for Show icon preview. I regularly have to do this to get some custom icons to show up again after rebooting. Seems like some kind of caching bug that Apple hasn't fixed for years.

You can also right-click (or ctrl-click) on the Desktop and select Show View Options from the contextual menu to do the same thing.

Apple throws these bullshit hidden files in every directory expressly for this purpose, good to know it still doesn't loving work.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My mom’s 2017 15” MBP is now utterly refusing to put out 4k60 - it will only do 4k30 - even though it used to work fine. I’ve tried USB-C to Displayport 1.2, USB-C to HDMI, and even USB-C to DP via a CableMatters dongle. I’m convinced this is a software problem but don’t know what to do about it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
If I were to get a document scanner what 3rd party desktop app could I use to just file away to iCloud all my bills and crap, anything decent out there? Automation would be great as well.

Violator
May 15, 2003

sonatinas posted:

If I were to get a document scanner what 3rd party desktop app could I use to just file away to iCloud all my bills and crap, anything decent out there? Automation would be great as well.

Hazel can automate that. I think if you scan with OCR, I believe it can find certain text in the document (like account number) and then file into an appropriate folder (like “Electric Bill” folder).

I bought a Doxie and am in the process of automating a bunch of my paperwork. I haven’t setup Hazel yet because I’m working through old paperwork but once I get to the point where I’m working with modern day stuff I will.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Useless or useful? You decide!

Every version of macOS, OS/X sorted into a helpful spreadsheet-like format, arranged by date, going all the way back to the year 2000!

https://robservatory.com/a-useless-analysis-of-os-x-release-dates/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Anton Chigurh posted:

Weird, this didn't work. Also even weirder, this seems to happen at random - I'll start up and all my icons will be the custom ones I picked, or some won't be, and if I cover the screen with an application window and then close it some of them will change. I'm not pissed, all the aliases still work, but it's the aesthetic I want to maintain. :P

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any idea how I can get Word to reopen windows after I quit it like every other Mac app instead of either the template picker or a blank document (all I could seem to change digging around it's preferences)

I gave the latest Office365 version

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there an option to disable all desktop notifications? These are all cancer and it seems like the only way is to go through every single app and disable each thing individually.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I dunno, set Do Not Disturb to 24/7?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there an option to disable all desktop notifications? These are all cancer and it seems like the only way is to go through every single app and disable each thing individually.

Binary Badger posted:

I dunno, set Do Not Disturb to 24/7?

I suppose if you want a more permanent solution, you can go through and turn off the notifications for each app.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

101 posted:

Any idea how I can get Word to reopen windows after I quit it like every other Mac app instead of either the template picker or a blank document (all I could seem to change digging around it's preferences)

If you find out, please do post a solution, because this annoys the everlasting poo poo out of me as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Axiem posted:

If you find out, please do post a solution, because this annoys the everlasting poo poo out of me as well.

What do you want Word to do? The document gallery is default and a blank doc is the legacy behaviour.

You get the legacy behaviour like this: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/office-word-mac-launch-new-document/

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

tuyop posted:

What do you want Word to do? The document gallery is default and a blank doc is the legacy behaviour.

It sounds like they want it to reopen whatever docs were open last time they quit the app.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

did anyone post that the beta for reeder 4 is out and really really loving good? if you're a mutant like me who still uses rss this feels positively 21st century
https://beta.reeder.ch/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am looking for an app to back up multiple network shares to a set of rotating encrypted external drives connected to my mac.

eames
May 9, 2009

restic or borgbackup for CLI, Arq (with one backup job per destination drive) if you need a GUI

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

tuyop posted:

You get the legacy behaviour like this: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/office-word-mac-launch-new-document/

I want Office Applications to work the same way as my other editors: to restore back to the state the application was in when I Quit it.

For example, I open TextMate, and then open a file. I collapse and expand some things in it, and scroll down to a particular line. I command-Q to quit the app. An hour later, I run TextMate again; the same things are expanded/collapsed as earlier, and I start with my cursor on the same line I was on before.

I'm fine if Word doesn't bring me back to the same line I was editing, but I want it to automatically open the things I had open last time!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Axiem posted:

I want Office Applications to work the same way as my other editors: to restore back to the state the application was in when I Quit it.

For example, I open TextMate, and then open a file. I collapse and expand some things in it, and scroll down to a particular line. I command-Q to quit the app. An hour later, I run TextMate again; the same things are expanded/collapsed as earlier, and I start with my cursor on the same line I was on before.

I'm fine if Word doesn't bring me back to the same line I was editing, but I want it to automatically open the things I had open last time!

:hmmyes:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Axiem posted:

Unfortunately you’re screwed as far as I know.

Native macOS apps get the restore feature almost for free from deep integration with Apple’s Cocoa framework. Office apps aren’t really native, though. They’re Frankenstein monsters, pieces of the Windows apps combined with not so deeply integrated Cocoa shells. As a result they often fall frustratingly short of implementing all the standard little quality of life features that are trivial to do in a fully native Cocoa app.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, I've heard it likened to Microsoft writing Office apps in their own pseudo code language technically running in an environment they created, like Java run-anywhere apps.

It's one of the reasons Excel performs at a glacial speed on the Mac as opposed to on a Windows machine, especially if you have complex formulas. You're literally better off running it inside VMWare or Parallels than the Mac specific (don't call it native) version if you need raw speed. I believe the only version that could have been called Mac-specific was the much lauded version 5.1 back from OS 8/9 days.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

did anyone post that the beta for reeder 4 is out and really really loving good? if you're a mutant like me who still uses rss this feels positively 21st century
https://beta.reeder.ch/

What the hell is ‘Bionic Reading’ mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurophonic posted:

What the hell is ‘Bionic Reading’ mode?

I'm gonna guess it exploits facial/eye recognition to automatically scroll the page.