Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks, I'll probably get that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What are some good recs for switch games besides the obvious BOTW/Odyssey/Smash type stuff? I haven't really paid too much attention since I got this thing a year ago. I've got dead cells, octopath, hollow knight, and gungeon, and I'm going to get ff12 and persona 5 when they come out. What else should I snag

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Splatoon 2 and/or Mario Kart 8: Deluxe.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yoku's Island Express.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

E missed a whole page of D3 derail nm

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 10, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Cojawfee posted:

Yoku's Island Express.

I want more of this game it’s so delightful :negative:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Instead of SNESflix, you're getting Virtual Boy games, compatible with LABO

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Spellman posted:

This is so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A colorized Virtual Tennis and Mario Clash would get me to buy a drat Labo

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What are some good recs for switch games besides the obvious BOTW/Odyssey/Smash type stuff? I haven't really paid too much attention since I got this thing a year ago. I've got dead cells, octopath, hollow knight, and gungeon, and I'm going to get ff12 and persona 5 when they come out. What else should I snag

What do you like? I really enjoy Hyrule Warriors and Monster Boy, but I know they're not for everyone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Heath posted:

A proper Wario game, IN 3D!!!!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I wonder how well Labo VR could emulate/improve upon the 3D in 3DS games....

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mister Facetious posted:

A proper Wario game, IN 3D!!!!

it'll be a Wario World port

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wizards of legend is a super fun two player rogue like that I never see mentioned in this thread.

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
I can't fall asleep so here are reviews of most Switch games I own. Games I recommend begin with +. I play exclusively handheld. I'd love suggestions! I was thinking of picking up Hellblade when it comes out.

+Breath of the Wild
+SteamWorld Dig 2
+Golf Story
+Super Mario Odyssey
Never Stop Sneakin -- Had a cool preview on Kotaku, a MGS parody-type stealth action game, but ended up being a real stinker of a game; no depth.
++Gorogoa -- I recommend this deeply. A puzzle game like you've never played before. Really beautiful art. My girlfriend loves it.
+Celeste
+Night in the Woods -- Charming; slow. I enjoyed it but you have to be in the mood for it.
The Sexy Brutale -- I'm sure it's good; I just couldn't really get into it.
Owlboy -- Same as above. I put in five hours and felt no desire to try it again.
++Yoku's Island Express -- Favorite game on the Switch. I cannot recommend this more emphatically. Just perfect.
Smoke and Sacrifice -- Survival game with lots of crafting. Seems good? I just couldn't get into it.
+Hollow Knight -- Great game. Got to the end boss and got stuck. Looking forward to the DLC.
Wizard of Legend -- Top-down roguelite. People seem to like it but I can't make any progress in it and I'm not enthusiastic about needing to spend 20 hours to 'git gud' so I can make it past, like, the second boss.
20XX -- A Mega Man roguelite. I enjoyed it for about six hours.
+Minit -- Charming little indie with a cool gimmick.
Dead Cells -- Same problem as Wizard of Legend. My fault, not its.
The Messenger -- Ninja Gaiden tribute with a cool graphical twist. The game was less good than its trailer but I enjoyed it enough. I'd play its New Game + but it involves some horseshit I don't feel like going through.
Axiom Verge -- Metroidvania with cool alien horror.
Pinstripe. -- Basically a point-and-click adventure. It's fine.
Moonlighter -- Shopkeeper simulator with a dungeon-crawling component. Both sides are pretty shallow. A real disappointment, I was amped about this one.
+SSBM
+Katamari Damacy - If you haven't played Katamari, like I hadn't, you owe this to yourself.
No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again - Utter piss.
Wargroove -- Tactics game. I'm sure it's great. Not for me.
Ape Out -- Really stylish game that I felt thoroughly finished with by level four. Not upset about it; it's great.
New Super Mario Bros U -- Feels like a Mario game for babies. I really hate the art style, maybe.
+Baba is You -- This puzzle game is much, much smarter than me. If I can clear a level a night it's good progress.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Spellman posted:

It's actually kinda surprising they didn't kick out some Virtual Boy games onto 3DS Virtual Console...

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i think they're too deeply ashamed of the virtual boy – and worried about melting unsuspecting kids eyes – that they would never ever rerelease anything from that system.

same thing with mario party 1. The controversy about the stick-waggling means it never got a VC release, only MP2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i think they're too deeply ashamed of the virtual boy – and worried about melting unsuspecting kids eyes – that they would never ever rerelease anything from that system.

same thing with mario party 1. The controversy about the stick-waggling means it never got a VC release, only MP2.

That doesn't excuse never releasing MP3 as a VC title :colbert:.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Smirking_Serpent posted:

then what’s the MP3 excuse

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

gently caress idk. nintendo is weird.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

get celeste, im not even a fan of platformers and i think it's super good

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Rocket League! Rocket Pass 3 was just announced :toot:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Rocket League! Rocket Pass 3 was just announced :toot:

I wish this game didn't make me physically ill to play :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This month's NES Online games are out. Punch-Out, Star Soldier and Mario Lost Levels. The "SP" cheat savestate this month takes you to the final stage of Kid Icarus.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So many Switches are going to get flung into walls today.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

I'm sorry to hear that, because to me, the game is like digital candy. :swoon:

The Kins posted:

This month's NES Online games are out. Punch-Out, Star Soldier and Mario Lost Levels. The "SP" cheat savestate this month takes you to the final stage of Kid Icarus.

Man, FINALLY, I'll get to play more than the first two levels of that game. I remember watching Captain N, seeing the Eggplant Wizard, and one of my friends told me 'yeah, he's from Kid Icarus', and I thought that motherfucker was lying for the longest time.

I enjoy hard games, but I can't say I have any love for Kid Icarus as an actual game, outside of the music and that nostalgia of renting it, trying multiple times to get somewhere in it, getting frustrated, and vowing I'd never rent it again. Seriously, I actually do look back at all of that stuff fondly. I can tell that it's a game that people could love, and I respect that. Maybe someday, I'll actually give it another try.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 10, 2019

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Heath posted:

Teleroboxer was better than every Punch Out game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I couldn't even beat the third guy in Teleroboxer

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Darkest Dungeon is pretty excellent if you don’t already have it on anything else. I’ve had a blast with it.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Darkest Dungeon is pretty excellent if you don’t already have it on anything else. I’ve had a blast with it.

I heard the controls for the switch version suck, is this true?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Live Free posted:

They're pretty unintuitive, but once you learn them it's not too bad, just a bit clunky. I mean the combats turn based, its not like its time sensitive. I think it's got touch controls but I've never used them

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Live Free posted:

I didn’t think they were any worse than any other menu-heavy RPG I’ve ever played. Most of the shortcuts are displayed on screen, and there’s a pretty decent tutorial library if you get stuck.

I didn’t have a problem with it, but I suppose mileage may vary. The touch controls can be useful in dungeon when managing your inventory and tapping enemies to see what their deals are, but otherwise you don’t have to use them if you don’t want.

Also, the game is worth it just to hear the ancestor say stuff. Bonus.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I didn’t think they were any worse than any other menu-heavy RPG I’ve ever played. Most of the shortcuts are displayed on screen, and there’s a pretty decent tutorial library if you get stuck.

I didn’t have a problem with it, but I suppose mileage may vary. The touch controls can be useful in dungeon when managing your inventory and tapping enemies to see what their deals are, but otherwise you don’t have to use them if you don’t want.

Also, the game is worth it just to hear the ancestor say stuff. Bonus.

Felt like Darkest Dungeon didn't mix it up much. By the time you get rolling with the town and the upgrades, you're just making the same moves/things better fighting the same sets of enemies. Very very grindy and nothing new happens after the first few hours. I played it a ton over one weekend of travel and then never touched it again.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Kins posted:

It's actually kinda surprising they didn't kick out some Virtual Boy games onto 3DS Virtual Console...

I think this crossed my mind at some point as well. drat that woulda been cool

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm a little late on the D3 discussion, but that's never stopped me before.

I played with a friend who was also in the position of having played hundreds of hours and wanting to power-level us to the end game. The issue I found is that, if you're not progressing through levels at a normal pace, you get just hammered with abilities so fast that you don't get a chance to use/learn them.

I'll fully admit, the loot stuff alone doesn't do much for me (which is probably another reason that game has never stuck for me), but I can get into seeing and experimenting with different abilities. But I felt like I was getting dragged along at breakneck speed without any time to even read the descriptions of what I was getting.

I understand for some people the whole "LOOT LOOT LOOT" thing is the #1 priority, but there are things to do before you hit the level cap.

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

Chin Strap posted:

If you haven't already, you may find it more bearable if you toggle the ball tracking camera on and off more. I'm guessing that's what makes you feel a bit sick?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tangledeep is fun and I want to recommend it to people who like roguelikes. It pulls off the retro style really well while obviously drawing from more modern games (there are loot goblins, item worlds, pet raising/breeding systems, etc.). The music sounds like it's straight out of a snes rpg.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Big name sale tomorrow (says Nintendo of Europe only but hopefully not):

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/nintendo_switch_and_3ds_blockbuster_sale_starts_11th_april_up_to_60_percent_off_top_games

Highlights:

Nintendo Switch

Super Mario Odyssey: 33% off
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: 50% off
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 50% off
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 30% off
L.A. Noire: 66% off
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 33% off
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy: 34% off
Diablo III: Eternal Collection: 30%
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate: 42% off
OCTOPATH TRAVELER: 33% off
Dark Souls Remastered: 30% off
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus: 33% off
DOOM: 50% off

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Golgo13 posted:

If you haven't already, you may find it more bearable if you toggle the ball tracking camera on and off more. I'm guessing that's what makes you feel a bit sick?

Also, there are a bunch of graphical options, even on console, like a pretty generous FOV slider, toggle for camera shake, etc. I mean, maybe none of that would help, but it might?

Sucks that you'd either have to buy it or find someone who has it to see if any of those options would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Mario and Rabbids was a pretty fun game. It doesn't stack up to its direct competition (XCOM), but for half off it's worth checking out if you enjoy strategy games.

Also it just occured to me how incredible XCOM 2 would be on Switch.