Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Yeah, exactly. Unless people aren't that enthusiastic in the first place, sticking webcams around your gaming pc isn't going to be that offputting (I feel like it would be sensible for Vive lighthouse to come with a simple stand or something though)

This is exactly the point, though. Everyone has a point where it's too much hassle and they're not going to bother. If you're an enthusiast, you'll put up with it. But the enthusiast community is pretty small, and they need to appeal to more people than that. Every piece of friction you can remove translates to a larger percentage of people who will be willing to buy in, and I'm guessing they'd even be likelier to upgrade to a more setup intensive headset once they get a taste of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KillHour posted:

Setting up the constellations took like 10 minutes and they work great. The only reason I could see for not wanting them is if you want to bring your VR headset with you when you go places.

The Constellation system is a much bigger ask than Lighthouses because you have to run the cables to your PC and be certain you have the USB bandwidth for them. That's a bit of a pain to arrange so they're in place and it's all still neat and tidy, especially if you're gonna use three cameras. Lighthouses just needing a wall socket is a much more feasible (and tidier) thing to set up in any room.

DisposableHero posted:

I'm still not convinced the wall mounted trackers, sensors etc are the biggest blocker. For the most part I know very few people with a large enough space they can dedicate to VR.

I'm fortunate that I have a game room and chairs I can easily wheel out of it for VR time. For most people they don't even have one room that doesn't already have furniture it'd be a pain to move.

I have had a great time with my Vive and hope we continue to see VR at every scale. If we don't, we won't continue to see compelling software for the high end. It just won't make sense to make for the money made. The best thing that can happen to VR is to have well implemented options that are put it on, use it anywhere even if they don't spec high.

Regardless of where the Index lands in the market, getting Lighthouses properly out into retail (nevermind them being much cheaper) is worth the whole effort. Making them easy to obtain means it's worth headset developers considering sticking lighthouse sensors on their devices. The Quest is the way forward for VR, but what it means for developers making titles for it (and it will be the driving platform for a lot of them because it has the biggest potential consumer base) is they can up-rez their games and port them to PC after the fact. Even without ReVive, a few of the existing Oculus Store exclusives have ported over to Steam.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

why exactly should I care that Lenovo was part of Rift S production? Like how is that relevant at all

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Regardless of where the Index lands in the market, getting Lighthouses properly out into retail (nevermind them being much cheaper) is worth the whole effort. Making them easy to obtain means it's worth headset developers considering sticking lighthouse sensors on their devices. The Quest is the way forward for VR, but what it means for developers making titles for it (and it will be the driving platform for a lot of them because it has the biggest potential consumer base) is they can up-rez their games and port them to PC after the fact. Even without ReVive, a few of the existing Oculus Store exclusives have ported over to Steam.

Also of note, when openXR launched at GDC, they announced openXR support would be coming to Quest later this year as well. Theoretically you could sell it everywhere without even doing any conversion unless you wanted to if you build for openXR from the start.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

DisposableHero posted:

I'm still not convinced the wall mounted trackers, sensors etc are the biggest blocker. For the most part I know very few people with a large enough space they can dedicate to VR.

These things are connected though. Wall mounted trackers are the reason you have to permanently dedicate a space to VR. Moving around a PC is a pain but it's easier than moving a PC and sensors. Friends who were moving a PC to the living room for VR (mostly parties as watching people play horror games was funny) gave up after they decorated properly and didn't want to deal with the sensors. Most people's largest room is their living room which is a bad place to mount ugly sensors.

(My issue is my cats loving with the sensors. I'm sick of the sensors so if Index uses them it's a no go for me regardless of anything else)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndrewP posted:

why exactly should I care that Lenovo was part of Rift S production? Like how is that relevant at all

Lenovo's headsets are mediocre at best, and are blatantly derived from the PSVR headset. Confirming that Oculus essentially farmed out the job to the (relatively) cheapest firm possible doesn't send a good message to their consumer base about their company's confidence in PCVR.

Tom Guycot posted:

Also of note, when openXR launched at GDC, they announced openXR support would be coming to Quest later this year as well. Theoretically you could sell it everywhere without even doing any conversion unless you wanted to if you build for openXR from the start.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was mandated by Oculus, if only so they can flog the games in the Oculus store for PCVR for easy extra cash.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was mandated by Oculus, if only so they can flog the games in the Oculus store for PCVR for easy extra cash.

Actually, creating a common standard and making more things cross compatible is bad, because Oculus thinks it's good

Here's an entry from the Oculus blog, talking about getting the Robo Recall port on Quest:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/drifter-entertainment-robo-recall-on-quest/

quote:

Throughout development, Drifter was adamant that the gameplay experience should be identical. “Our core principal was, ‘Do not change the gameplay,’” stresses Davis. “We want complete parity on Rift and Quest.”

This is the important nugget, for me. I think it speaks a lot to their understanding (Oculus and their partners) of what's important about VR and standalone.

God drat Quest day can't come soon enough

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

FuzzySlippers posted:

Most people's largest room is their living room which is a bad place to mount ugly sensors.

The sensors are unattractive to be sure but surely the larger issue here is moving your sofa, coffee table etc every time someone wants to Gorn something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I kind of hope that valve comes out and says that index will track with the two cameras on the front for a "good enough" tracking system. Then you can use lighthouses to get perfect tracking. Basically what people are wishing the rift s would have done. Both systems already work for steam VR, and people can choose convenient and sometimes crap, or somewhat inconvenient and always good.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I kind of hope that valve comes out and says that index will track with the two cameras on the front for a "good enough" tracking system. Then you can use lighthouses to get perfect tracking. Basically what people are wishing the rift s would have done. Both systems already work for steam VR, and people can choose convenient and sometimes crap, or somewhat inconvenient and always good.

The controllers would need some sort of light emitter and they only have sensors. It could do positional for the headset and use the controllers as 3dof I guess but that seems bad

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I truly believe that moving your couch is much more palatable to the average adult than screwing cameras/lighthouses into your walls.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, it already used the oculus SDK, so that wasn't an issue porting them to the oculus store. Having openXR though means a dev could sell it on mobile, oculus, steam, or well, even the windows store with minimal work.

Also, considering the state of VR software at the moment, I've seen titles on Go, like 'virtual virtual reality', or 'dead secret, circle' and others that were better games, and better looking, than 95% of the unfinished junk floating around for PCVR. I would have no problem with games designed for Quest being sold on PC if they're good games.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I forgot that vacation simulator was coming out today. Should be a big hit to show to people for their first VR experience. I know that job simulator was.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Harminoff posted:

I forgot that vacation simulator was coming out today. Should be a big hit to show to people for their first VR experience. I know that job simulator was.

Job Sim was a good tech demo for dicking around, but it wasn't much of a game. Is Vacation Sim different? I'm hoping it is, I'd like to check it out

Edit: unrelated

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bb75o5/comment/ekh7lzn

quote:

Coatsink Shadow Point Devs 2h Thanks for your question drengrish - Our QA team have found it’s around 4 hours of playtime from a full battery on a development kit whilst playing Shadow Point. Sadly, we’re not able to comment on how much playtime you’re likely to get out of a retail quest. - PC

Quest battery life up to 4 hours? :0

Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 9, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lemming posted:

Quest battery life up to 4 hours? :0

That seems fine? I don't usually have sessions longer than an hour or two at a stretch and you just plug it in to charge when you're done. It would be nice if there was some sort of dock or whatever you could drop it on for storage purposes. Do we know what sort of connector they're going with? USB-C?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

That seems fine? I don't usually have sessions longer than an hour or two at a stretch and you just plug it in to charge when you're done. It would be nice if there was some sort of dock or whatever you could drop it on for storage purposes. Do we know what sort of connector they're going with? USB-C?

Yeah USB-C. And yeah 4 hours would be fantastic, I was thinking 2 hours would be passable and 3 would be optimistic and great.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That reminds me, are there any bespoke headset storage solutions out there? I know the mannequin head route, but I'd be curious if some enterprising soul had some etsy solution on sale.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
For the people talking about setting up Lighthouses, I can confirm that you can run a lighthouse for many hours off of one of these powerbanks: https://www.amazon.com/XTPower-XT-20000QC2-PowerBank-battery-20400mAh/dp/B06XWTY96G/

You just need to make sure the powerbank output voltage can be adjusted to 12v, like the one I posted. The Lighthouse technically uses 2 amps but it runs fine on 1 amp for me and seems to draw much less than that. I think the surge is during startup as it gets up to speed with spinning the motors in it.

Lemming posted:

Yeah USB-C. And yeah 4 hours would be fantastic, I was thinking 2 hours would be passable and 3 would be optimistic and great.

A cheap USB-C power bank in a pocket or fannypack with the cable running up to the Quest ought to give many more hours of playtime. The Anker powerbanks are dependable; I've used them with the wireless TPCast setups and they are solid: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-13000mAh-VoltageBoost-Technology/dp/B072155XVX/

Warbird posted:

That reminds me, are there any bespoke headset storage solutions out there? I know the mannequin head route, but I'd be curious if some enterprising soul had some etsy solution on sale.

Drop a couple hundo for a 1:1 scale Terminator head?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Terminator-T800-1-1-Life-Size-Skull-Endoskeleton-Figure-Statue-Toy-Collectibles/273528460606

edit: Here's some paint-it-yourself kits for $80: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Terminator-T800-101-Skull-Head-LED-1-1-Vinyl-Model-Kit/112942049654

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 9, 2019

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I currently use a big rear end battery for my Go and as long as its topped off and not constantly charging its no issue. I bought one with USB-C support just because I knew the Quest was going to have that. Some people with the Go have used the smaller cylindrical batteries and attached them to the side strap with velcro.

There are also magnetic power cables you can get so you just leave a cable somewhere and plonk it on but I found that annoying since you have to pry the end out of the device every time you want to use a normal cable or always keep the magnetic one with it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Warbird posted:

I used a vintage gumball machine for a while and it worked really well. I don't have pictures, but it was one like this:

Headset fit well on it, and it was convenient to have it freestanding and off my desk.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

A cheap USB-C power bank in a pocket or fannypack with the cable running up to the Quest ought to give many more hours of playtime. The Anker powerbanks are dependable; I've used them with the wireless TPCast setups and they are solid: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-13000mAh-VoltageBoost-Technology/dp/B072155XVX/
Presumably you're going to want a USB-C PD one though, I doubt the adapter it comes with normally charges at 5V.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FuzzySlippers posted:

Most people's largest room is their living room which is a bad place to mount ugly sensors.

This is the issue I have. They're ugly and a pain in the rear end to mount if you're trying to accommodate for other things in addition to VR, especially if your room has anything resembling an unusual or particularly open layout. If you're just putting them up in a dedicated gaming room and don't really care how things look, yeah, it's a lot easier (that's how my Rift is currently set up), but it'd be nice to not need to deal with them at all.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

Presumably you're going to want a USB-C PD one though, I doubt the adapter it comes with normally charges at 5V.

The Go uses a 5v 2a charger, so I'm guessing the powerbank I linked at 1.5a will almost certainly charge the Quest or at least hold it at the same charge level. Higher wattage PD is ideal but also more expensive from the looks of it, and putting out higher wattage requires more cells and therefore weight.

I wonder how long the controllers will last, come to think of it. The Touch controllers last weeks while the WMR controllers run out really fast, so I wonder where these will fall.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lenovo's headsets are mediocre at best, and are blatantly derived from the PSVR headset. Confirming that Oculus essentially farmed out the job to the (relatively) cheapest firm possible doesn't send a good message to their consumer base about their company's confidence in PCVR.

this seems like quite a leap!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndrewP posted:

this seems like quite a leap!

Confidence was a poor choice of words on my part. Caring would be better; They don't really have to care about PCVR with the Quest in play, anything past that doing well is a bonus for Oculus if/when developers port their Quest titles to the PC store.

Devices, partnerships and all that don't just happen in a vacuum. That's why people look at a choice like giving the job to Lenovo out of all the possible WMR-making companies and raise an eyebrow or two. The only VR headsets they've produced are the Mirage and Explorer, both of which make heavy use of licensing from Sony's PSVR headset rather than anything of their own devising. The are not a smart pick for a company like Oculus to build their supposedly hot new top-shelf VR headset by any measure except for probably being the cheapest one.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Confidence was a poor choice of words on my part. Caring would be better; They don't really have to care about PCVR with the Quest in play, anything past that doing well is a bonus for Oculus if/when developers port their Quest titles to the PC store.

Devices, partnerships and all that don't just happen in a vacuum. That's why people look at a choice like giving the job to Lenovo out of all the possible WMR-making companies and raise an eyebrow or two. The only VR headsets they've produced are the Mirage and Explorer, both of which make heavy use of licensing from Sony's PSVR headset rather than anything of their own devising. The are not a smart pick for a company like Oculus to build their supposedly hot new top-shelf VR headset by any measure except for probably being the cheapest one.

The hits just keep coming

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Reminder that driving sims in VR are loving amazing. I hopped back on Dirt Rally after getting an analog handbrake, and goddamn this game is so loving good. Can't wait until they add VR support to the sequel.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

There was always a shelf life on outside in tracking (yeah I know technically lighthouse inside out, yada yada)

lol

Zero VGS posted:

I wonder how long the controllers will last, come to think of it. The Touch controllers last weeks while the WMR controllers run out really fast, so I wonder where these will fall.

The WMR controllers are in a bind due to factors not shared by Quest. I believe the camera setups on WMR are visible-light based, and you need the room lit up real bright in order for them to see enough trackable points. The controller LEDs then need to be brighter than the environment, which at the end of the day necessitates being super bright. Between that and the BT connection, they are not in a good spot regarding power.

Cojawfee posted:

It looks like Valve is ALL IN on Lighthouse for Index/Knuckles - Alan Yates survived the last round of layoffs, so I assume that will be the case moving forward too.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i opened this image up in photoshop and checked and the leds are 255,255,255. thats hex #ffffff. how much more bright could this be? and the answer is none, none more bright.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shine posted:

Reminder that driving sims in VR are loving amazing. I hopped back on Dirt Rally after getting an analog handbrake, and goddamn this game is so loving good. Can't wait until they add VR support to the sequel.
spintires vr when

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zero VGS posted:

The Go uses a 5v 2a charger, so I'm guessing the powerbank I linked at 1.5a will almost certainly charge the Quest or at least hold it at the same charge level. Higher wattage PD is ideal but also more expensive from the looks of it, and putting out higher wattage requires more cells and therefore weight.

There shouldn't be any difference in the touch controller battery length, at least I can't figure why there would be. They're not doing anything different from the originals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

There shouldn't be any difference in the touch controller battery length, at least I can't figure why there would be. They're not doing anything different from the originals.

If anything, they might last even longer than the Rift controllers just due to being built off the lessons learned from those.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
WMR works fine in a dimly lit goon cave of a room!

Selling my Dell visor the second index launches, but I have to say I'm very happy with what this 250 USD VR headset can do :)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So I finally got my Vive Wireless kit and Pro adapter stuff.

Yeah, Its pretty awesome. Streaming, LOL its just destroying my CPU with everything at 1080, so we're gonna have to go back to potato 720p I think. But holy poo poo its so nice just in general use. Huge fan.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

EbolaIvory posted:

So I finally got my Vive Wireless kit and Pro adapter stuff.

Yeah, Its pretty awesome. Streaming, LOL its just destroying my CPU with everything at 1080, so we're gonna have to go back to potato 720p I think. But holy poo poo its so nice just in general use. Huge fan.

It seems like VR streaming is one of the few situations where it might be worth the immense trouble to arrange a two-PC streaming setup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of WMR headsets, according to Road to VR they all just massively discounted by nearly 40%. It's unknown if it's a sale or a permanent price drop. What's especially interesting is even the Odyssey Plus is discounted, despite being only a few months old.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

It seems like VR streaming is one of the few situations where it might be worth the immense trouble to arrange a two-PC streaming setup.

It’s really not in general. You end up having to run most of the poo poo on the one pc anyways. You’re basically offloading obs and new nvec is amazeballs. So in the end you save like 3% cpu.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of WMR headsets, according to Road to VR they all just massively discounted by nearly 40%. It's unknown if it's a sale or a permanent price drop. What's especially interesting is even the Odyssey Plus is discounted, despite being only a few months old.

That uh...that means it is less likely theyre about to update WMR with more cameras for S/Quest level tracking, right?

God the O+ has a fantastic display though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Surprise Giraffe posted:

That uh...that means it is less likely theyre about to update WMR with more cameras for S/Quest level tracking, right?

God the O+ has a fantastic display though

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the next round of WMR headsets duplicating the Rift S's camera layouts.

That said, my assumption on this is they're just trying to get some sales out before the rich kids march into the playground with their new toys in two months and start slapfighting with eachother. On the plus side at least, if Samsung are willing to take something with the Odyssey Plus' specs down to $300USD it could theoretically bode well for the Index being competitively-priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

price drop. What's especially interesting is even the Odyssey Plus is discounted, despite being only a few months old.

Probably trying to burn up inventory ahead of two new halo headsets + one well marketed midrange headset. I've never not regretted buying silver tier stuff on fire sale because their sales department does way more opposition research than a bunch of sweaty nerds on a forum and they know what's coming around the corner.

They'll probably be on fire sale come black friday/cyber monday. I can see WMR being one of those $99 door busters this year.