Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I really loved my Nexus S with the 4-ish inch (curved) screen and kind of a weird bump that made it easier to palm. Probably the nicest form factor of any halo phone I've had, and I've had every Google phone except the Pixel 2 and Nexus Galaxy.

I agree, the Nexus S was the best form factor by a country mile when it comes to all of the Nexuses and Pixels. Somehow it was durable as hell too considering it was all glossy plastic that you'd think would scratch easily but instead just... didn't, somehow. I often wonder if, given modern internals and an edge-to edge screen, I'd still find it as comfortable as I did then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Best form factor was the OG Moto X :colbert:

Nowadays, I guess your best bet for a powerful compact phone are the Sony Xperia Compact phones, but who knows for how much longer they will produce those.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Chikimiki posted:

Oh god yes a thousand times this. I’m also one of those weird people that would love a smaller phone. 4.5 inches in a as small as possible form factor would be awesome.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chikimiki posted:

Nowadays, I guess your best bet for a powerful compact phone are the Sony Xperia Compact phones, but who knows for how much longer they will produce those.

Yeah my buddy and I both bought the OG moto X developer edition, we loved the hell out of those things (I think I got it instead of the Nexus Galaxy?) felt really good in my hand, the developer edition had a real fiberglass (not carbon fiber) back shell that slowly disintigrated around the edges, and finally the battery failed and had to upgrade. OG moto X was like a 8% bigger version of the Nexus S, except was lacking the sweet sweet curved screen

Curved screen is one of those subtle but amazing features:

1. The screen can never get scratched being set face down as it's never in contact with the table
2. it's way, way easier to pick up in any orientation; face down it's thicker in the middle due to the bridge/arch effect; face up you can rock it and it kind of flips up in to your hand

It's not super super curvy, probably most people didn't realize it was curved, but it was a really nice touch. Also meant the top of the screen was ~5% closer to your thumb which really improved single-handed use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock is exactly right here. The original Moto X was good in the hand but not Nexus S good and the curved screen really was a great feature of it. Every Moto X of every material I've ever seen disintegrated around the edges but it was still a wonderful form factor, easily the second nicest to hold phone ever.

Now if you gave me some kind of hybrid with a curved screen and the Moto Dimple you'd really have something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chikimiki posted:

Sony pussed out and made the compacts have a 5" screen now

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Latest entry in the notch/chin wars: None of the above! https://www.xda-developers.com/oppo-reno-10x-zoom-launch/

Can't wait for the long-use reviews where it breaks.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone carry their Pixel 3 naked? At least my Pixel 1 had a mostly metal case and a sticker over the glass and never had any issues. Now with the Pixel 3 the loving back is glass and has to be covered in a wrap around cover full time. It's a pretty useless phone for anyone who leads a remotely active lifestyle. My boss has his in an otter box and still manages to crack the rear glass on his. What's the point of halo phones if they're more fragile than entry level phones.
I don't use a case on mine and it's fine. When I go to the gym it stays in my locker. I never use cases and I've never broken a phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Best form factory was the nexus 1

the RGB trackball needs to come back.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you're pining for a tiny phone, go get a cheap iPhone SE. It doesn't have the curves you want from a Nexus S, but it has the size.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Phosphine posted:

Latest entry in the notch/chin wars: None of the above! https://www.xda-developers.com/oppo-reno-10x-zoom-launch/

Can't wait for the long-use reviews where it breaks.

Samsung: Hold my beer.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2019/4/10/18304378/samsungs-galaxy-a80-release-date-specs-price-features

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Too soap-shaped. I liked my Nexus One a ton and the RGB trackball was the coolest, but in-hand feel was off. It was a little too heavy, a little too slippery, really cold because of the bottom aluminum, and didn't lay flat either right side up or upside down.

And since we're trending this way, the worst was the Galaxy Nexus. Far too wide to hold comfortably, terrible materials textures, and buttons that were too far up the phone. It was both too thin and too thick depending on what part of the phone you're talking about and the difference gave it a feeling of being ready to flip out of your hand backward.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://developer.android.com/preview/release-notes

Patch for Android Q Beta 2 on Pixel. Sounds scary.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Don Lapre posted:

my dude

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sourdough posted:

If you're pining for a tiny phone, go get a cheap iPhone SE. It doesn't have the curves you want from a Nexus S, but it has the size.

I definitely agree the iPhone SE is the best phone in term of size and thickness and all that. It's perfect. I just don't like IOS, personally.

I'm just surprised with the four hundred random Chinese Android manufacturers that someone hasn't made a 4.2-4.7"

On another note, I just updated to Android Pie and there's one thing I'm finding pretty annoying about it. In the status bar, it refuses to show all of my notification icons despite there being plenty of room for more of them. Here is what I mean:

I see a lot of people complaining about this but I'm not finding any solutions. It appears as though Google is acting like everyone has a phone with a notch even if they don't.

I kind of like being able to see that I have a notification for my banking app, for example. I know I can just pull down my notification menu but it's not the same for me.

Now while I have been unable to find a fix for this, I do recall posting a few weeks ago that I didn't want a phone with a notch because of all the status bar icons you lose, and someone mentioned a way to get the status bar to be double the height or ignore the notch or something like that. They even recommended a setting or app or whatever, but of course now that I need it I can't find it anywhere. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Thank you in advance

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I'm just surprised with the four hundred random Chinese Android manufacturers that someone hasn't made a 4.2-4.7

I heard screen size is a status symbol over there...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My roommate got a Moto G7 Play. It doesn't look like Otterbox or anyone reputable has come out with anything good and there's nothing but bargain bin Chinese cases that probably don't provide any real protection.

Anyone know of any good ones or should he just wait for Otterbox? They do have one for the Moto G6 Play so I don't think they'd skip the 7.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On another note, I just updated to Android Pie and there's one thing I'm finding pretty annoying about it. In the status bar, it refuses to show all of my notification icons despite there being plenty of room for more of them.

That's the way it is now, there's a hard limit of four notification icons.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I don't exactly want a 3.5" phone but I'd kill for a 4.2" to 4.7" phone with modern hardware, it's just that no one is making them any more. My wife has the Pixel XL and I don't like it (I currently have an OG Pixel). I typically use my phone with one hand.

My favorite phone form factor that I ever had was the Droid Mini but it was getting too long in the tooth to keep using.

The Sony compact line is pretty darn close to those dimensions.

Edit: best phone shape was the Palm Pre followed by the Blackberry Bold. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 11, 2019

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I got a replacement (refurbished) Pixel 1 yesterday, my old one had terrible battery life in 18 months and would shut down at 20 percent remaining. New one seems to have even worse battery life :commissar:, since unplugging it 30 mins ago it's lost 20 percent without using it. Doubt it will make it through the day with even minor use.

Anyone have experience with google support and know if its worth going back and trying to get a new one? I don't fancy going through the cycle of getting a refurbished phone and it being poo poo over and over, with all the authenticators and everything changing phones is a bit of a bitch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

How many new three year old phones do you figure the have laying around for replacements?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

My roommate got a Moto G7 Play. It doesn't look like Otterbox or anyone reputable has come out with anything good and there's nothing but bargain bin Chinese cases that probably don't provide any real protection.

Anyone know of any good ones or should he just wait for Otterbox? They do have one for the Moto G6 Play so I don't think they'd skip the 7.

https://www.spigen.com/products/moto-g7-case-rugged-armor

???

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

How many new three year old phones do you figure the have laying around for replacements?

In my experience, you're not going to get a new Pixel even if it wasn't 3 years old and you just bought it a week prior.

They only send refurbs for RMAs. That's all they ever sent me for my smaller Pixel 2. In fact, every single representative I talked to (all 8+ of them) claimed their system is set to ONLY send refurbs if you RMA, nothing new unless you buy a new device.

Huh.... we were just looking on Amazon and didn't see that. Alrighty. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait, does that fit the G7 Play? It just says Plus and the normal G7.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 11, 2019

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

ThermoPhysical posted:

In my experience, you're not going to get a new Pixel even if it wasn't 3 years old and you just bought it a week prior.

They only send refurbs for RMAs. That's all they ever sent me for my smaller Pixel 2. In fact, every single representative I talked to (all 8+ of them) claimed their system is set to ONLY send refurbs if you RMA, nothing new unless you buy a new device.

They gave me a new phone in the summer of 2017, after I bought the original phone used on eBay a few months before, which was pretty nice tbh. The original would overheat and crash constantly whilst in my pocket, so at least the problems are getting less severe.

Maybe the battery will settle down, was just alarmed at how terrible it was out of the box.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

That's the way it is now, there's a hard limit of four notification icons.

Really? What was their reasoning behind that one? I love having no idea someone sent me an ebay message unless I randomly pull down my notifications throughout the day

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Really? What was their reasoning behind that one? I love having no idea someone sent me an ebay message unless I randomly pull down my notifications throughout the day

The reasoning is you're a slob if you keep that many icons up there and we're not tolerating anymore. It's embarrassing in screenshots when there's this ugly icon soup in the corner and they used notches as an excuse to kill it forever.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
My apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I just got my first android (a Moto X4), having switched from a dying old iPhone 5C. I have two issues, and I get the impression these are both maybe hard questions:

1) How in the world can I bring over my custom ringtones from my iPhone to my Moto?

2) My entire music library lives in iTunes. What options do I have for reconciling that with having an android now? We had been using Amazon Music for the 250000 song upload option but they discontinued that. I'm willing to pay $ for cloud storage if I need to, but I'd like to have an option for streaming my own music to my phone. Downloading individual albums is an option but not ideal, and I still don't know how to do it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Edit: best phone shape was the Palm Pre

Well I'm glad someone said it!

Funktor posted:

My apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I just got my first android (a Moto X4), having switched from a dying old iPhone 5C. I have two issues, and I get the impression these are both maybe hard questions:

1) How in the world can I bring over my custom ringtones from my iPhone to my Moto?

2) My entire music library lives in iTunes. What options do I have for reconciling that with having an android now? We had been using Amazon Music for the 250000 song upload option but they discontinued that. I'm willing to pay $ for cloud storage if I need to, but I'd like to have an option for streaming my own music to my phone. Downloading individual albums is an option but not ideal, and I still don't know how to do it.

1) copy paste?

2) either upload them all to Google Play music for free, or try Media Monkey which can synch iTunes to android

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh, my bad. I dunno.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Alan_Shore posted:

1) copy paste?

Literally how? I don't know how to get the ringtones off of my iPhone. If I connect it to my computer it doesn't mount the phone as a drive. I can find them in iTunes under the iPhone device but can't figure out where/if they're stored locally. I don't know how to share them with myself from the iPhone itself. Help?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

My friend had to RMA his Pixel 3 about 2 months ago and not only did he get a new one, they were able to confirm prior to shipment that he was getting a new one.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pixel XL on Pie: Where can I turn off double-tapping a Bluetooth earbuds' call/power button to redial the last number cause I just figured out I've been doing that constantly from my pocket?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I rma'd my pixel a month in from getting it as the battery was stuck charging at 98% forever and got a new one back, and as previous poster said they were also able to confirm to me they were shipping a new one and not a refub

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.droid-life.com/2019/04/11/google-huawei-nexus-6p-class-action/

The class action lawsuits against Google&Huawei have advanced. Google&Huawei have agreed to pay up to $400 to those that experienced bootlooping on a Nexus 6P that can provide proper documentation. Up to $75 for those who cannot. $10 dollars to those who RMAed and got a Pixel 1. This is provided the court approves the settlement at the next hearing on May 9th.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Heliosicle posted:

I don't fancy going through the cycle of getting a refurbished phone and it being poo poo over and over, with all the authenticators and everything changing phones is a bit of a bitch.

I used use the Microsoft Authenticator but switched to Authenticator Plus a few days ago for the lack of cloud support or any backup solution with Microsoft.

I still have the Microsoft one installed just for one-tap authorisation for their own accounts though. Those iOS monsters have cloud sync in the app.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OhFunny posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/04/11/google-huawei-nexus-6p-class-action/

The class action lawsuits against Google&Huawei have advanced. Google&Huawei have agreed to pay up to $400 to those that experienced bootlooping on a Nexus 6P that can provide proper documentation. Up to $75 for those who cannot. $10 dollars to those who RMAed and got a Pixel 1. This is provided the court approves the settlement at the next hearing on May 9th.

This is US only, just so everyone reading is aware.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Celexi posted:

I rma'd my pixel a month in from getting it as the battery was stuck charging at 98% forever and got a new one back, and as previous poster said they were also able to confirm to me they were shipping a new one and not a refub

bull3964 posted:

My friend had to RMA his Pixel 3 about 2 months ago and not only did he get a new one, they were able to confirm prior to shipment that he was getting a new one.

To be honest, I'm not surprised. I did a big effort post on here a few pages back and Google Support can be (and usually is) garbage and maybe it was just my turn. :v:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Interesting sun effect with my s10+ tonight, looks like you can see the shape of the sun itself

And while I am not absolutely in love with the camera, I like having optical zoom again. This is about 10km/6.2 miles from the Melbourne CBD, would have been pointless without real zoom.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funktor posted:

Google Play Music lets you upload and stream your library for free, but Google is probably going to kill it off soon in favor of YouTube Music, which I don't believe allows for personal uploads.

If you have other Apple devices/use iTunes on your computer it's probably worth the $10/month for Apple Music. iTunes Match works really well and will upload your tracks that aren't available for streaming, and the Apple Music Android app is fine (it looks, and acts, literally the same as the iOS version). I know it's a strange concept paying for music, especially if you've built up a huge library through torrents or the like, but personally I've been using one streaming service or another since they became a thing and having your complete library available anywhere you have a data connection beats the pants off of having to janitor/sync a smaller version of your library that will fit on your phone's storage, even if you have to pay for it.

Another option might be using something like Subsonic. Or if you already have Plex and pay for Plex Pass you could use that to stream your music library as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, "do you play a trumpet?" is now the weirdest question Google Opinion Rewards has asked me.