Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

dragon enthusiast posted:

limited is probably going to be real slow cause of all the additional things for creatures to attack that aren't players, right?

Depends on whether or not you've managed to draft planeswalkers that actually do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

knowing when to ignore a walker and when to attack one is going to be a real big skill in this format that's going to take some time to get used to. the real reason the formats going to be slow is because it seems like there are a fair number of playable things like two mana 1/3s and also a good number of the uncommon walkers spitting out 1/1s and 2/2s to clog up the board

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

A Moose posted:

Is temur rec so popular that gruul midrange/aggro was created to poo poo all over it? I've tried everything from siding in life gain to siding in oozes and phoenixes, literally nothing works. It gets under me AND over me, turn 2 Spellbreaker, turn 4 Skarrgan Hellkite, curving absolutely flawlessly into Carnage Tyrant every game! everything's too big too fast and it doesn't matter if I counter anything. They have harpooners + Vivians for Niv. Basically every card in their deck counters every card in mine super specifically, I can't imagine a deck that is so laser focused on 1 matchup can be very good against much else right? Or is it one of those things where it only works if you draw the cards in a specific order and I'm the unluckiest fucker on earth? That deck is like half the ladder.

A bunch of big beaters and haste creatures are going to beat your ramp deck. You can just play Simic Nexus and laugh as you turbofog them away but that deck has its own weaknesses.

Once in a while you just get counter queued and it's bad luck. I decided to try rdw at Plat 1 after facing off against a bunch of durdly reclamation decks, and my first match my opponent went T3 gatebreaker Ram T4 Clarion T6 Archway Angel. I've played plenty of constructed this season and that's the first time I had faced it, just coincidentally the first time I played mono red. Sometimes you just gotta laugh at it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ada posted:

They don't suddenly stop being printed on the card so yes

E: itll also be an 8/8
Well then, if you can cast one in the first place, seems like Karn is its best friend.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

knowing when to ignore a walker and when to attack one is going to be a real big skill in this format that's going to take some time to get used to. the real reason the formats going to be slow is because it seems like there are a fair number of playable things like two mana 1/3s and also a good number of the uncommon walkers spitting out 1/1s and 2/2s to clog up the board

I agree the format will be slow but I think it has more to do with the fact that we had really powerful removal at common. Red alone has a 2 mana deal 2 to any target, 2 mana deal 3 to a creature, and 2 mana deal 4 sacrifice a thing, all at common. Black has Sorin's Thirst and the 2B dismember at common. If it weren't for planeswalkers being in every pack I'd say this might be a draw first format.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Didn't Dovin murder her mom (with the power of law) or whatever? Fair is fair

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No that was Baral. Dovan was just kind of clueless and duped along by Tezz and Bolas. He just wants to optimize things.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Dovin was basically strung along by Tezz but he was still complicit. There was the part where he tried to arrest Chandra because he guessed she would join the resistance and also later yelled from his skyship that she's a huge idiot (both true).

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ada posted:

also later yelled from his skyship that she's a huge idiot (both true).

Dovin, while on fire: "You're still a huge idiot! Ow fire hurts!"

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

No that was Baral. Dovan was just kind of clueless and duped along by Tezz and Bolas. He just wants to optimize things.

That's the thing: he isn't being duped. Dovin knows exactly what these two were up to, and believes in it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
More like Dovin Burned

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am doing everything in my power to break Citadel. God as my witness.

2 (Flex slots)
2 Bolas Citadel
2 New Saheeli
4 Revitalize (M19) 35
4 Ritual of Rejuvenation (XLN) 32
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
3 Cast Down (DAR) 81
2 Moment of Craving (RIX) 79
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
2 Dovin's Acuity (RNA) 168
1 Dovin, Grand Arbiter (RNA) 167
2 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) GR6
1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
2 Mortify (RNA) 192
4 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187

4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
1 Island (RIX) 193
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259

2 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
4 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
2 Negate (RIX) 44
4 Duress (M19) 94

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Khagan posted:

I guess Narset is the UW and Huatli is the WR?

We already have the wr hybrid uncommon, its nahiri. Huatli is probably gw. Ashiok is ub and narset as uw lands. I think we have the other 7 hybrids already.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

I am doing everything in my power to break Citadel. God as my witness.

2 (Flex slots)
2 Bolas Citadel
2 New Saheeli
4 Revitalize (M19) 35
4 Ritual of Rejuvenation (XLN) 32
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
3 Cast Down (DAR) 81
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
2 Dovin's Acuity (RNA) 168
1 Dovin, Grand Arbiter (RNA) 167
2 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) GR6
1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
2 Mortify (RNA) 192
4 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187

4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
1 Island (RIX) 193
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259

2 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
4 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
2 Negate (RIX) 44
4 Duress (M19) 94

I think Depose/Deploy is too strong not to include. New Liliana also seems nice but I'm not sure how many 6 drops you can reasonably play.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Brownhat posted:

That's the thing: he isn't being duped. Dovin knows exactly what these two were up to, and believes in it.

Yeah, Dovin's an authoritarian rear end in a top hat who pretty much deserves what he's getting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Karn, the Great Creator might be good

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Procrastinator posted:

We already have the wr hybrid uncommon, its nahiri. Huatli is probably gw. Ashiok is ub and narset as uw lands. I think we have the other 7 hybrids already.

Dovin is the UW hybrid unc, it was spoiled today. Ashiok and huati for UB/GW are the only real remaining options. According to the name/number crunch narset has to be mono-color.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

narset has to be mono-color.

Four Mono-U planewalkers in the same set? No wonder they had to cut the other Chinese planeswalker

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Four Mono-U planewalkers in the same set? No wonder they had to cut the other Chinese planeswalker

Tamiyo is most likely multicolor - Narset would be the more obvious choice but she doesn't fit. Otherwise one of them would be a mythic which seems impossible.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
We've got two cycles of uncommon planeswalkers: 10 with hybrid mana in their costs (one for every guild) & 10 monocolored, two of each color. Out of the six unrevealed/unleaked planeswalkers, it's likely that Narset is our missing monoblue and Ashiok and Huatli are our hybrid dimir and selesnya respectively.

Then, out of the rares we have one monoblue, two monogreen, and one monored revealed/leaked; we also have one each of UR GW RG WB WU and colorless. The three unknown rares are Ugin, Sarkhan, and Tamiyo. Ugin is very likely colorless, and Sarkhan and Tamiyo have a wide variety of colors they can be (but I'd guess RB and either BU or BUG).

so that's only three monoblue unless you count hybrid mana as being two monocolors simultaneously :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh I didn't know that Tamiyo got a gold card, only remembered her first one

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dovin seems pretty calm for a dude who's literally surrounded by fire.

RIP Dovin.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Did he run out of Vetos?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

GrandpaPants posted:

Dovin seems pretty calm for a dude who's literally surrounded by fire.

RIP Dovin.

"Chandra you fool, did you think Master Bolas was unaware of how you defeated the Eldrazi Titans? He knew your only trick is fire, so he hired only fireproof lieutenants, and built an entire fireproof army. You cannot possibly win!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ahhh Chandra you rat not the ol spicey keychain, how could you do it to me

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I guess the remaining Triumph cards will be Jace and Nissa?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BizarroAzrael posted:

the original defeat cycle was chandra, gideon, jace, liliana, and nissa

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

flatluigi posted:

the original defeat cycle was chandra, gideon, jace, liliana, and nissa

We already saw Liliana's Triumph--it's one of the promos

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dumb question I am asking as i'm probably coming back to this game:

As the new mulligan rule is being trailed in London, the pre release is still using the old scrying one as it's happening the same weekend?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheChirurgeon posted:

We already saw Liliana's Triumph--it's one of the promos

okay? I'm aware?

Stormgale posted:

As the new mulligan rule is being trailed in London, the pre release is still using the old scrying one as it's happening the same weekend?

the new mulligan is only being tested for modern at the london mythic championship and is not currently being planned to be tested anywhere else or at any other time

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Yes, the new mulligan rule won’t go into effect until the Core 2020 release if they decide to keep it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

flatluigi posted:

okay? I'm aware?

the new mulligan is only being tested for modern at the london mythic championship and is not currently being planned to be tested anywhere else or at any other time

Besides magic online.. starting today...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I thought Nissa hosed off out of the Gatewatch though.

Unless they're gonna pull a "Oh no the Gatewatch is broken and dying, Bolas is just laughing his rear end off this is the end... wait is that Nissa's entrance music I hear?"

How many possible green walkers are there left in the crunch?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Owlbear Camus posted:

I thought Nissa hosed off out of the Gatewatch though.

Unless they're gonna pull a "Oh no the Gatewatch is broken and dying, Bolas is just laughing his rear end off this is the end... wait is that Nissa's entrance music I hear?"

How many possible green walkers are there left in the crunch?

Vivian is the other green rare walker, but I think the cycle is supposed to be a parallel to their defeat cards from Ether Revolt.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Vivian is the other green rare walker, but I think the cycle is supposed to be a parallel to their defeat cards from Ether Revolt.

Ahem, you mean Hour of Devastation, thank you?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Ok

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
"command,Vitu"

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

dope

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
It'll be funny when you kill this with a Suncleanser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

that seems like a pretty meh sorcery of the kind we’ve seen a lot of before. time to go post about it on the internet before reading its type line