Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the only weird trip anxiety i've had was before my 2nd trip to japan where both work and my living situation was stressing me the gently caress out to the point where i didn't want to go. the lovely rear end AA 777 from chicago to shanghai didn't help, but all of my stress dissipated after like 2 days in country.

getting back to the states, i was pretty relaxed but that lasted all of 3 days lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Seems like a good rule of thumb would be to just travel alone.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I definitely had weird anxiety the first time I left china for good in 2011, I had a one way ticket to Lisbon, Portugal and something like 7,000 euros or something in my bag and had absolutely zero plan and no idea what I was going to do, I was at Beijing capitol airport and feeling kinda lost and had fallen asleep on the chairs, and I got up and forgot my stupid flip phone was on my chest and it fell off the chair and broke. so I had a one way ticket to a city where I didn't know a single soul and I didn't speak the language and was without a phone or a computer, so I called my parents collect which ended up charging me like 25 bucks because china sucks. my dad convinced me to go to Portugal and was like "if it sucks in a few days you can just buy a ticket to Logan and we'll pick you up" and I was like "meeeeeeehhhhh ok you're probably right" anyway, my entire first two days in Lisbon are an absolute haze, can't remember anything and I haven't even looked at the pictures in like seven years. I actually ended up going up to Porto and couchsurfed with a girl that was a goon who posted in the couch surfing thread back in the day, and I was there like four days and then I kinda calmed down and went back to Lisbon and everything was ok from that point on.

that did serve to remind me how broken I was and how badly I was going to miss china, though, I reached out to my old company about two months later and told them I wanted my old job back and they were like "awesome when u want to come back let us know where you are and we will buy you a ticket" and after that I felt a lot more zen about all of my backpacking

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Traveling alone so you always get to do what you want, you have your hotel rooms to yourself, and so on are all great reasons to travel solo.

One of the reasons it sucks is now you have to ask strangers to please take your picture everywhere, which is annoying. After my first trip was over my friend and I combined our pictures and had them made into picture albums from some website that then mailed them to us (I guess now Google offers this service too?). Probably not a big deal to most who have instagram or whatever and want a million selfies and don't care about photo albums and that theres already a million pictures of a thing but no pictures of YOU infront of that thing. Human Tripod.

I feel sort of bad about the ryokan I'm doing single occupancy on. As I understand it the business model is to charge per occupant, so by spending two nights alone they are missing out potentially on a booking that could have had maybe 4 people for 2 nights in that room. My AirBnB bothers me less since the charge is the same for 1 person or 6 people, but one place I'm staying is like 3 stories and I'll probably just end up staying on the first with the futon the entire time.

I like to just travel with a carry-on so when we land I can just leave instead of waiting at baggage claim. Having two people is nice if you can share luggage and free up space for more souvenirs aka making the other person a pack mule so you can fill yours with junk. This trip it looks like I'll be dragging a check-in bag and being my own mule. I guess I'll be using a bag service too.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Blackchamber posted:

I feel sort of bad about the ryokan I'm doing single occupancy on. As I understand it the business model is to charge per occupant, so by spending two nights alone they are missing out potentially on a booking that could have had maybe 4 people for 2 nights in that room.

You should not feel bad about this, the ryokan is likely aware of two levers they could pull:
-Charging +xxxx yen per person for single occupancy (this is what most places do)
-Not allow single occupancy bookings at all (this is what places that aren't desperate do)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Traveling alone is the best and I miss doing it

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Don’t go to Ginza Steak if you want a good wagyu experience. Just suck it up pay the 6000-8000¥ for a proper steak cooked by a professional. All you can eat wagyu is silly. You barely get passed the opening dishes they give you, half of which you probably don’t want.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

zmcnulty posted:

You should not feel bad about this, the ryokan is likely aware of two levers they could pull:
-Charging +xxxx yen per person for single occupancy (this is what most places do)
-Not allow single occupancy bookings at all (this is what places that aren't desperate do)

Well my feeling bad is tempered by knowing how much the rate fluctuates. The dates I am going its really cheap but when I was playing around on their reservation page the same days of the week but one week later single occupancy was over 2 grand USD (there is a festival then) so its not like they aren't making some money.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peanut posted:

Question: did these people ever go to summer camp???? Or just like a day trip to their grandma's house?

The one I know went to summer camp with me, and called her parents to pick her up like the second day, which they promptly did. She is nearly 40 and I think hasn’t spent more than a handful of nights away from her parents.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

LyonsLions posted:

The one I know went to summer camp with me, and called her parents to pick her up like the second day, which they promptly did. She is nearly 40 and I think hasn’t spent more than a handful of nights away from her parents.

Yeah I was gonna say, if this person is around your age and has never spent much time away from parents what the actual drat

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

prompt posted:

Don’t go to Ginza Steak if you want a good wagyu experience. Just suck it up pay the 6000-8000¥ for a proper steak cooked by a professional. All you can eat wagyu is silly. You barely get passed the opening dishes they give you, half of which you probably don’t want.

I kinda agree. But you can eat multiple decent quality steaks so it’s still nice to try

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 10, 2019

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

prompt posted:

We're doing both!

One night for the quality, one night for the quantity :)

The quality night will probably be in Kobe!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

Seems like a good rule of thumb would be to just travel alone.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Whoa, weird! It seems like Japan attracts people with communication, anxiety, and socialization issues!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

We had so much fun in Tokyo tho

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I never travel alone because goons are always with me wherever I go!!!!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sale on Banksy art posted:

Whoa, weird! It seems like Japan attracts people with communication, anxiety, and socialization issues!

i;m a sexpat ~

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

I never travel alone because goons are always with me wherever I go!!!!

Another point in Stingents camp is what you’re saying

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

We had so much fun in Tokyo tho

yeah but we came separately and didn't spend weeks together

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
First time I ever went overseas (this one was with friends) was to Japan, and a couple of times I had to return to our AirBnB early cause I felt a little bit dazed. I ate some KFC and played some Killing Floor and felt better.

Then I went skiing for the first time ever (solo, at Gala Yuwaza), immediately went up the ski lift to the highest point, and almost skied off the mountain to my death. I stuck to the beginner slope after that.

Wouldn't trade that experience for the world... let alone an early trip home.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ya know, I don't think I've ever traveled with a friend, lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Ya know, I don't think I've ever traveled with a friend, lol

YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

That’s true and I’m also a very very fun person to hang out with :smug:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Another point in Stingents camp is what you’re saying

I don’t want to sleep in your house anymore :colbert:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The only reason I even wanted to travel with a friend was to improve my social skills and spread my love of Japan around. Oh well...

Went with her to Universal Japan today. Went off without a hitch, poo poo was great, butterbeer was actually good and goddamn they really need to cut down on that popcorn there cause its the worst smell. Also the express pass saved our lives.

vv That is the best lesson, indeed. And if I had to suffer to serve as a warning to others, then I'm okay with it.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 10, 2019

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I think the lesson here is travel with good friends you know and love and don't post an invitation on the internet for random acquaintances to go on 30 day adventures to the other side of the world.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

I think the lesson here is travel with good friends you know and love and don't post an invitation on the internet for random acquaintances to go on 30 day adventures to the other side of the world.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Bloodnose and I did a japan goon tour

8 years ago?

It was a Groupon with a free stopover and hotel in shanghai

Went to shanghai goon meet, Osaka, Kyoto (met limburg), then posting on the forums about said trip Ned in Fukuoka offered his couch and so we went there, stopping over in Hiroshima.

Stopped by Kagoshima and had some awesome beef tacos.

Went to Tokyo but by that time we barely talked to each other and did mostly our own thing. But we met zmuclty and limburg for dinner again.

Total trip time was like.. 20 days with a 14 day train pass.

Yeah I joked to my sister that I went on a 20 day trip across japan because I turned gay.

It was a fun and memorable trip. Tokyo goons didn’t really invite me to dinners and stuff until a few years later :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But we are now all friends so it’s ok

:glomp: all you guys in japan are lovely

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Reallycoolname posted:

First time I ever went overseas (this one was with friends) was to Japan, and a couple of times I had to return to our AirBnB early cause I felt a little bit dazed. I ate some KFC and played some Killing Floor and felt better.

Then I went skiing for the first time ever (solo, at Gala Yuwaza), immediately went up the ski lift to the highest point, and almost skied off the mountain to my death. I stuck to the beginner slope after that.

Wouldn't trade that experience for the world... let alone an early trip home.

lol if you dont spend at least 1 day of every trip being a shitlord who sleeps till 4pm then drinks and eats lovely food then sleeps more

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
God drat it now I wanna go have some Wendy’s in japan

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Magna Kaser posted:

Please don’t doxx my Friday nights.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only issue I ever had with travelling with friends is that our fitness and energy level is somewhat different. But they weren’t huge idiots about it. If they were winded or tired they’d just go back the gently caress to the AirBnB and I’d stay out doing whatever I wanted.

But I mean we’re both adults so I guess maybe that’s it?

This trip I’m doing solo and it’s going to be awesome.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

The only issue I ever had with travelling with friends is that our fitness and energy level is somewhat different. But they weren’t huge idiots about it. If they were winded or tired they’d just go back the gently caress to the AirBnB and I’d stay out doing whatever I wanted.

But I mean we’re both adults so I guess maybe that’s it?

This trip I’m doing solo and it’s going to be awesome.

Sounds like you were travelling with somewhat reasonable adults?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've only really ever traveled what friends sans authority figures once, but it was still a time.

All inclusive resort in Jamaica, originally supposed to be four of us. Two backed out last minute, whatever. Another friend jumped in at the last minute, cool, the not the merrier!

Well the third guy was bit quite in the know about what an all inclusive Jamaican really would be, and he had never smoked weed before. He got a crash course in those few days, but we had a blast. Chilled with New Zealanders who were close to our age, everybody else was older since the resort was kinda geared towards that demographic.

I think the only dumb thing that happened to us was getting slightly fleeced at an open air market. I smoked hash with a vendor who then convinced me to buy a pipe he engraved a girl's name on that I was interested in at the time, and last-minute friend somehow agreed to get initial-friend's hair braided and beaded, then refused to pay, so initial-friend was out $50. Worth it for great stories!

EDIT: lmfao I absolutely did not think about the Studio Ghibli tickets going on sale at 10:00AM... in Japan Standard Time :doh:

Oh well, guess I don't need to worry about that, ha!

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 10, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've two travel buddies who I do all my Japan or snowboarding stuff with. On our first big trip together we set a rule of "If you want to do a thing, go do it. You're not allowed to complain if nobody else joins you, and nobody else can complain that you went off and did your own thing away from the group." Thankfully, we've all stuck to that rule pretty well and have done a fair bit of group and solo stuff.

I've other friends who would straight up not want to go do stuff by themselves who have been trying to organise a trip together for years now and still not been.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

On our first big trip together we set a rule of "If you want to do a thing, go do it. You're not allowed to complain if nobody else joins you, and nobody else can complain that you went off and did your own thing away from the group." Thankfully, we've all stuck to that rule pretty well and have done a fair bit of group and solo stuff.

That's a great rule.

Unrelated to bad traveling buddies question part deux: my partner and I are looking around for fancy dinners, I think we want to not do Ginza Steak and maybe something else. What're goons thoughts on Tokyo Kappo Terunari? Looks pretty nice for the price range, and tabelog seems to favour it. Not 5/5 or anything, but it looks and sounds dope?

We were looking at a Michelin starred tapas gastrocookery thing, but the price was very :negative: so, drat. Next time, when my partner is making that sweet sweet doctor money, I guess!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The one bad thing about this trip is I’m gonna have to spend 14 hours on a plane. :negative:

Martytoof posted:

Wish my family was like this. What dad wants goes, and the family never split up during trips. If someone stayed in the hotel or decided “I don’t want to do this” (assuming we ever spent more than one night in one), it was basically a betrayal and something to have a grudge over.

I try not to vacation with them anymore, but mom’s wormbrains have exacerbated her empty nest syndrome so I feel obligated to calm her down. :smith:

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Pollyanna posted:

The one bad thing about this trip is I’m gonna have to spend 14 hours on a plane. :negative:

Hah! Try having to spend a whole night's layover in China on top of the 14 hours.

To add insult to injury we had to take a ferrying bus to the plane and stand in the freezing wind while the berks opened it up for boarding. Never fly China Eastern.

On an unrelated note: I'm thinking of renting an electric bike to tour about Biei in Hokkaido for a day but I'm not familiar with the logistics of renting a bike or biking in Japan period - how feasible would this idea be? Also, would it be a bit ambitious to combine that with poking around Asahikawa for a day trip?

I'm looking to see the blue pond, the waterfall, patchwork no machi etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My culinary challenge on this trip will be finding food for my daughter who's mostly vegetarian, has a mild lactose intolerance, and somehow has become somewhat picky (but not in a "no sauce on my food" kind of way). Ramen & sushi are 2 of her favorites, but I don't remember many vegetarian ramen options on my past trips. According to some reviews, our hotel in Shinjuku has a decent bakery in the lobby, so I expect she'll fill up on bread in the morning at least.

I expect we'll be doing some poo poo independently. She's only 17 but spent a month last summer in NYC at a film camp, then immediately left for a 2 week trip to Europe with my sister. My agenda includes spending quality time in different izakayas or other drinking establishments, she's into fashion & street wear, so we'll probably hit up places where both can happen. I'd be appreciative of some suggestions where this can be accomplished.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've two travel buddies who I do all my Japan or snowboarding stuff with.

Have you combined these yet? Getting back into some Japow is pretty much all I think about, even though we pretty much got skunked on our last trip to Niseko. My goal for the next trip is to go the Car Danchi route & rent an RV and chase storms.