Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Ramsey, as posted before, is really effective for people who are bleeding to death through debt. I think the fact that he's a kind of conservative bootstraps guy and an evangelical Christian helps quite a bit with a lot of his demographic, as well. Obviously goons (including myself) are kind of turned off by that, but if you are by-God sure that through hard work et al that you will overcome any concievable challenge and if you don't you just aren't trying, it's helpful to have someone talking to you who also believes that yes through just Doing The Right Thing you will overcome your problem. Also, if you are big in to tithing, and someone tells you not to tithe/donate to charity, you are immediately going to tune that person's advice out, even if it's good, because it doesn't align with your values.

On the other hand, if you don't have a DTI over 1 in consumer debt, he's not all that useful, and as said before his investment poo poo is super scummy. But there are a lot of people in the US bleeding to death through debt and he's helpful for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dik Hz posted:

Nah, just curious about VC. I'm in a company that's owned by private equity and was curious how one gets started in VC and why someone would walk away. If there's a better place to ask, where would that be?

I'm not sure of a good place. Most VC-related threads are about heaping well-deserved scorn on the industry and its hangers-on. If you find one, lmk because I'd be interested too.

(I didn't get to it in a very usual way, FWIW)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
People like Ramsey are always going to be weird. There’s a consumer affairs/budget guy named Clark Howard who has great advice, but is cheap to a fault.

He had one old story about donating clothing to Goodwill and then buying it back the next week after they dry cleaned it because paying thrift store resale prices was cheaper than getting it cleaned on its own. I have no idea how that would work. Maybe dry cleaning was much more expensive and Goodwill prices were much cheaper 30 years ago.

It’s a fine line between being thrifty and having a mental disease.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think it's a real leap of faith to assume that they're dry cleaning anything. I had to do some community service about 20 years ago at a Goodwill that involved sorting clothes in the back. Anything that didn't have rat poo poo in the box just went to the floor.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Some gems from r/ukpersonalfinance.

First the stupid;
Scammed out of two full paychecks. Where do I go from here?

https://www.reddit.com/r/UKPersonalFinance/comments/bargy5/scammed_out_of_two_full_paychecks_where_do_i_go/?st=JU9ZPFG3&sh=d5200ad7

Hello,

I work in the cryptocurrency industry. As such, I get paid each month in bitcoin. Historically, this hasn't been an issue (I won't go into the process here), however I'm not very experienced in BTC stuff so in January I ran into some lovely, lovely luck wherein I fell victim to a PayPal reversal scam. I may win that "case" but I won't hear anything until at least August.

Thankfully back then I was living in arrears- I had a full paycheck in savings in case of an emergency. After this scam, I had to pull from there, eventually using it all up (I like comfortably but fairly close to the wire in general). February came and went just fine, but this time, my March paycheck, I was scammed again. I'm now at 0 savings, 0 credit and 0 actual money. I borrowed from my (poorer than me) parents for my rent, but I now have unpaid bills and nothing to pay them with until the end of April.

With such a massive loss (£5k out of pocket now), how can I even begin to recover from this? My bills alone paid twice will eat up most of my next paycheck. I don't have any credit to pull from and I have maxed cards (though not an unreasonable amount), my score is bad so I likely won't get approved for more debt, not that I want any.

Current debt is £5k on a 0% credit card for two more years. $4000 (yes dollars) 0% credit card for one year. I moved recently from the USA and am still settling those debts. No car or loans.

I'm not even sure how to phrase the question here. Honestly I feel like just dying is a more satisfying option than clawing my way back from this. My entire life for the last 3 months have been money worries. I don't think about anything else anymore. I don't want to leave my home and don't have anywhere else to go anyway. My rent is reasonable, apartment is pretty good for the price so it's not worth leaving. I'm a minimalist so have nothing to sell. Is bankruptcy an option to clear my debts and get back on track? Is it worth doing in my situation or is that just dramatic?

I was wondering how he got "scammed" twice, but apparently it was just trying to avoid conversion fees using a shady exchange to get actual money for his paycheck. Jesus.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not sure of a good place. Most VC-related threads are about heaping well-deserved scorn on the industry and its hangers-on. If you find one, lmk because I'd be interested too.

(I didn't get to it in a very usual way, FWIW)
Maybe you should make an "ASK me about being a venture capitalist" thread in the main A/T forum.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'd personally love to hear the pitches you got of "It's like the Facebook of Ubers but for Turtles

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I'd personally love to hear the pitches you got of "It's like the Facebook of Ubers but for Turtles

Stop stealing my design documents for Mitchbook. :(

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Sorry, McConnogram is only going up, Up, UP!!!!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
BWM: Not properly securing your valuables

https://deadspin.com/report-guns-20-000-in-cash-stolen-from-braves-outfie-1833952624

BWL: 60 hour work weeks

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/7xn5db/photos-of-japans-office-workers-during-their-60-hour-weeks

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

:ironicat:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was just about to make a joke at your expense, but I see that, like a true poster of posters, you've beaten me to it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lmao :golfclap:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Guns in safe, still stolen, GGGC vindicated

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

:thejoke: :colbert:

Also I saw this comic and it made me think of you fine folk (minor edits, credit to the original of course)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Boo

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I was saying "Boo-urns"...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ekuNNN posted:

A horse themed gender reveal party! So tacky and decadent and gross.

Wait its literally for a horse :stonk:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:thejoke: :colbert:

Also I saw this comic and it made me think of you fine folk (minor edits, credit to the original of course)

Posting about posting is kinda tedious. Also I realize I am posting about posting about posting.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Posting about posting is kinda tedious. Also I realize I am posting about posting about posting.

:justpost:about:justpost:ing

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I feel like I'm about to eat a 6er

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I’m the horsehead sandwiches that waste half a slice of bread for each side of the sandwich.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Enjoy getting Mad Horse Disease, imbeciles!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A good crosspost:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cacafuego posted:

A good crosspost:

The 7 year old in me really wants to buy that monster truck.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

POST ABOUT JUSTING

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This is pretty cool. I mean, it's making fun of gender reveal parties in a way right? Like, it's cool to have people over and drink alcohol on a farm.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I mean, a gender reveal party where the hostess can drink is going to be better than when where they cannot.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Salt Fish posted:

This is pretty cool. I mean, it's making fun of gender reveal parties in a way right? Like, it's cool to have people over and drink alcohol on a farm.

Production value is way too high to be satire, seems to me

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Man even if it's not satire I feel better that it's actually for a horse. That poo poo just got creepier and creepier.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Simpsons Reference posted:

This post is free gang tag worthy

How do I cash in my free gang tag credit?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

A good crosspost:

I know it's been posted to death, but junior enlisted are so Bad With Vehicles. The amount of wealth I see tied up in vehicles sitting in the barracks parking lot, getting shredded by gravel on our lovely roads, is amazing. Not to mention the massive sound systems that must also cost a fortune in cash and future hearing loss.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
VA loves those sound systems because they can tell vets their hearing loss wasn't related to the service.

Taxpayers rejoice!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

A good crosspost:

The decal just cracks me up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

sparkmaster posted:

I know it's been posted to death, but junior enlisted are so Bad With Vehicles. The amount of wealth I see tied up in vehicles sitting in the barracks parking lot, getting shredded by gravel on our lovely roads, is amazing. Not to mention the massive sound systems that must also cost a fortune in cash and future hearing loss.

Your average tech major parking lot has three kinds of cars: econobox (+ lowest thing of luxury car), supercar, lovingly hand restored old muscle car

"I am among the plutocrats on earth who can actually totally afford a Bugatti and my boss drives the usual used Honda"

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
GWM: Inviting your horse's chiropractor to the gender reveal party

Last thing you want to do is burn that bridge... good horse chiropractors are so hard to find!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Volkerball posted:

One of my favorite books ever. If you haven't heard the long term capital management story before, this is a must read because holy poo poo what a trainwreck.

Just picked up When Genius Failed based on this threads recommendation. Thanks, will report back

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I saw this on the wall above a urinal in a bar, and it made me think of this thread:

Ironically, the bar is named "Hooverville."

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm (dead?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking