Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Foo posted:

one of the many incredibly stupid part about all of this is that the IRS already knows exactly how much you make and what your taxes should be. All the forms are filed.

yeah there are countries where the IRS equivalent sends you what's essentially a pre-filled-out tax return. you have the option to redo it yourself if you think you can do better or just sign it and send it back. this is what the tax prep companies will fight to the death to prevent happening in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

haveblue posted:

yeah there are countries where the IRS equivalent sends you what's essentially a pre-filled-out tax return. you have the option to redo it yourself if you think you can do better or just sign it and send it back. this is what the tax prep companies will fight to the death to prevent happening in the US

Yeah here the employers have to send information to the government (you get notifications of when this happens) and every year you just get a message that you should check the pre-filled online declaration and 99.9% of the time you just click "submit" and your taxes are done.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

haveblue posted:

:capitalism:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haveblue posted:

correct

and this bill would be the victory they've been looking for since at least '98

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Greatbacon posted:

Yeah, and at the same time the 1040 form was "streamlined" in the sense that most poo poo now just lives on another form you have to look up. Not to mention most of the good deductions that help people in the most precarious situations in their life got tubofucked if not outright eliminated.

There should just be one tax form with one line and it says "How much above 100k did you make (wages, stocks, bonds, etc)?" and then the IRS takes that.

The IRS knows this poo poo, just send me a bill.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

one of the many incredibly stupid part about all of this is that the IRS already knows exactly how much you make and what your taxes should be. All the forms are filed.

i use hrblock and i filed last weekend and fatfingered an entry and after clicking next the site was like 'uh why dont you review this again'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

i use hrblock and i filed last weekend and fatfingered an entry and after clicking next the site was like 'uh why dont you review this again'

don't use h&r block

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

don't use h&r block

im aware but :effort:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

gently caress you

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

graph posted:

Yeah same. I used turbo tax for the first time... I used to go with an accountant but even the premium version of turbo tax is cheaper (Still extremely expensive)

I'm playing exactly into their hand... I even had to talk to a CPA (integrated into the software) and at the end the poor guy gave me the spiel about the survey and how the 10s help him out. So of course I wanted to help him out and one of the questions was "how much does turbo tax care about you the customer" and I had to say 10 because if I didn't he'd get dinged.

So now they can take that crap to congress and say "see, our customers love us, much better than some stuffy government program you would make!"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
we use tax act's free thingy. needs suiting. :geno:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
deductions and credits should just be eliminated entirely so the irs can just take out exactly whats needed from every paycheck and you never interact with them ever.

readjust the brackets appropriately to shift the burden to higher brackets and be done with it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
SWR

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

deductions and credits should just be eliminated entirely so the irs can just take out exactly whats needed from every paycheck and you never interact with them ever.

readjust the brackets appropriately to shift the burden to higher brackets and be done with it.

pretty much

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
high tax states will complain because the current system lets them steal from the federal government, but they can gently caress off and deal with it or fix their own systems

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

but what about all the people that are being abused on 1099s!

or my wife who was apparently being paid paychecks as an RA but the university only sent a 1098T and all withholding was ignored.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

Yeah, but the issue is twofold here:

1. Everyone in congress tends to be in those higher brackets
2. Everyone in congress gets kickback from other people in those higher brackets.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

iospace posted:

2. Everyone in congress gets kickback from other people in those higher brackets.

guillotine

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shaggar posted:

yeah I can’t believe the leader of the free world doesn’t have a PAYE system that works for like 95% of the population with extra hand filings for self employment and investment stuff as outliers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

iospace posted:

right the system isn't really fixable because centralized bureaucracy is bad and immovable, but its how you'd fix this particular issue if you could

complaining about private companies doing tax prep instead of the irs is stupid because the problem is tax prep is over complicated. the reasons its overcomplicated are to expand the bureaucracy and create tax prep jobs

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A fine solution.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iospace posted:

let turbotax and so on be the gatekeeper to the information the irs is collecting so they can rent seek.

then, later, :thermidor:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah I can’t believe the leader of the free world doesn’t have a PAYE system that works for like 95% of the population with extra hand filings for self employment and investment stuff as outliers.

self employment would be covered the same, you just need to pay the irs yourself on a (bi)monthly schedule instead of your employer doing it. income distinctions should be eliminated and things like capital gains should be taxed as income. nobody would really have special federal taxes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Leck posted:

same, and having my passport, my global entry card, my old drivers license, and a shitload of stuff proving my address wasn't enough for the RealId, because they won't trust things like that. now i can come back with my current license (as proof of address) and my birth certificate for RealId, but it will require another trip and won't get me anything that my passport/global entry doesn't always give me. what a mess.

i love hearing about states that are just now implementing real ID and discovering what a clusterfuck the whole thing is

bitch i've been dealing with that poo poo for like a decade at this point

President Beep posted:

we use tax act's free thingy. needs suiting. :geno:

does it do student loan interest because that was one of the other forms that's not part of the 1040 now and therefore not included by turbid tax free edition

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

does it do student loan interest because that was one of the other forms that's not part of the 1040 now and therefore not included by turbid tax free edition

yup. there's a place to enter that in, which i'll be doing for the next 7,000 years.

you know, on second thought, maybe we don't use the free one anymore...

idk. might be at least looking into for you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

President Beep posted:

yup. there's a place to enter that in, which i'll be doing for the next 7,000 years.

you know, on second thought, maybe we don't use the free one anymore...

idk. might be at least looking into for you.

turgid tax also has a place to enter it in and once you're completely done entering it in then it tells you you need to buy the super duper pro version for it to apply

every year it's fun to see what new deceptive business practices they've implemented each time i do taxes, like this year to even see the free option in the first place i had to click a teeny tiny plain text link at the bottom of the BUY NOW!!! page

at least it didn't do the thing it did last year where it played a cute animation of them "deleting" all my information because copying information from last year is a premium feature

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why stop at preventing the IRS from providing software? They should be banned from even providing forms or instructions directly to citizens because it's unfair to companies that want to provide this service.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

Why stop at preventing the IRS from providing software? They should be banned from even providing forms or instructions directly to citizens because it's unfair to companies that want to provide this service.

shh don't give them ideas

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Complaining about private companies doing tax prep instead of the irs is stupid because the problem is tax prep is over complicated. the reasons its overcomplicated are to expand the bureaucracy and create tax prep jobs

this is obvo true but lol they're eliminating the easy thing that effectively lets a lot of people check a few boxes and be done with it.

tax collection should be the only government job. eliminate all other services, employ everyone extracting wealth from each others' knees and then make everything cost a dollar.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

taxation should be voluntary but if you don't volunteer at least half of your income everyone in america gets to jerk off to pics of your feet.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

muckswirler posted:

taxation should be voluntary but if you don't volunteer at least half of your income everyone in america gets to jerk off to pics of your feet.

chris cilizza doxxed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bump_fn posted:

chris cilizza doxxed

i think you mean rex ryan

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mystes posted:

this is probably the endgame, yes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

just privatize the IRS into several different competing organizations so they can compete on the free market for who wants to pay them for their services

it will work just as well as credit rating agencies, organizations that everyone trusts for objective and fair information

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Leck posted:

same, and having my passport, my global entry card, my old drivers license, and a shitload of stuff proving my address wasn't enough for the RealId, because they won't trust things like that. now i can come back with my current license (as proof of address) and my birth certificate for RealId, but it will require another trip and won't get me anything that my passport/global entry doesn't always give me. what a mess.

they should just add a permanent address field to the back of the passport card and green card, maybe drop the initial issuance fee, and they would be the same as the national id cards in almost every other country. states can go back to just issuing driving permits instead of dealing with the documentation requirements, long lines and confused people that come with real id

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

they should just add a permanent address field to the back of the passport card and green card, maybe drop the initial issuance fee, and they would be the same as the national id cards in almost every other country. states can go back to just issuing driving permits instead of dealing with the documentation requirements, long lines and confused people that come with real id

a big selling point of the real id system is that it makes it easier to suppress poor people and minorities so i don't think states will do that any time soon

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

just privatize the IRS into several different competing organizations so they can compete on the free market for who wants to pay them for their services

it will work just as well as credit rating agencies, organizations that everyone trusts for objective and fair information

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Maybe let's do the same with all regulatory commissions while we're at it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
you can travel within the eu with a national id card as long as it has the appropriate eu stamps on it. idk if the egates can scan them the way that they scan passports tho. but it’s the size of a card so fits in your wallet more easily

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

muckswirler posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Maybe let's do the same with all regulatory commissions while we're at it.

you just stay the gently caress off my lawn and we'll be juuuust fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

3. you'd have to define "paycheck" very broadly and very unlike the layperson's idea of the term in order to catch all the non-wage sources of income available to the top percentiles and fractions of percentiles