Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
shamebler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Phaecia

I may have shamefully neglected to rename my prophet, but it's probably because I was so excited to prophetize the dude I was waiting for that I forgot! Careful readers will note that I prophetized a Lochos, which is not a unit that Phaecia is able to recruit. There is a special national event that fires every year or so in the capitol that gives you a special Gigante commander and a retinue of giant hoplites. My first prophet probably died in spotty expansion, so I held off on a new one until I could give the title to one of these:

Also those epithets rule. He Who Shoots Forth, The Most High :gizz: :350:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I do recall one dom 4 game where EA Ryleh and EA Atlantis split the underwater and allied and attacked me. Very unusual behavior, IMO.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

sullat posted:

I do recall one dom 4 game where EA Ryleh and EA Atlantis split the underwater and allied and attacked me. Very unusual behavior, IMO.

messed up. NO PEACE BENEATH THE WAVES!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ramc posted:

messed up. NO PEACE BENEATH THE WAVES!

Yeah, I suppose they thought it necessary once they realized I was about to sneak a throne grab and win, but MM1 just doesn't quite cut it when the game is on the line.

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
Inspired by this let's play I re-downloaded Dominions 5 for the nth time and have been messing around with EA Ulm for kicks. I found something that might already be common knowledge but was new to me.

When scripting orders/spells for you little pixelmans, hitting 'x' will redo the last scripted action. Might save a few mouse-clicks, which for larger battles is a significant saving.

Also, Ctrl+0-9 to save a script and Ctrl-S to review saved scripts.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Ipissedmyself posted:

Inspired by this let's play I re-downloaded Dominions 5 for the nth time and have been messing around with EA Ulm for kicks. I found something that might already be common knowledge but was new to me.

When scripting orders/spells for you little pixelmans, hitting 'x' will redo the last scripted action. Might save a few mouse-clicks, which for larger battles is a significant saving.

Also, Ctrl+0-9 to save a script and Ctrl-S to review saved scripts.

Same, except Machaka. I didn't know about the 'redo' and 'review parts of scripting, which is really helpful, thanks.

And I don't recall when it last came up, but *I think* the manual got updated recently, to little fanfare. I got myself a copy with Phlegra, at least.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Phaecia

I may have shamefully neglected to rename my prophet, but

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
time for my terrible secret, I totally don't bother to rename prophets after the first year or so

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Istvun posted:

time for my terrible secret, I totally don't bother to rename prophets after the first year or so

same

that's fair though

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Istvun posted:

MODS????

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Ramc posted:

MODS????

How does it feel ramc, HOW?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Istvun posted:

How does it feel ramc, HOW?

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
I, too, don't really get into, like, "themes"

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
sorry ramc!!!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

FilthIncarnate posted:

I, too, don't really get into, like, "themes"

Get him! He wants to taste the curb!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Sometimes I rename important people in all-caps just so I can find them.

Also I once renamed a bunch of Valkyrie to the same thing in a disciples game to confuse the enemy about who was attacking and who was sneaking.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Sometimes I rename important people in all-caps just so I can find them.

Also I once renamed a bunch of Valkyrie to the same thing in a disciples game to confuse the enemy about who was attacking and who was sneaking.

rename your sidhe lords 1 2 and 4 so the enemy will spend turns patrolling for 3!!!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
every single immortal commander is named samog no matter what

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 17!

A few fights and, uh, well it looks like those tritons attackers and won. You can tell because the event announcing it has the indie flag instead of our own.

I got some research advances here. Eventually evocations will be real good above water.

We attack the hobbit province above and these are the dudes you can hire off it if you lab this place up. I already have earth and nature access though so they aren't a priority.

They are tiny dudes with sticks sooooo it isn't going to go well.

yeppppp

Okay now it is time for that underwater province. Let us find out what a wailing lady is already.

Huh ok. Some Ermor lore here. Pretty cool, pretty cool. ok wait "Wail 999" tell me more

save or die AND fear

Also it has some items?

A +4 defense charm and a DEATH POISON item. Well poo poo ok she can in theory delete 2 units a turn, has high defense and is ethereal so she ignores non magic attacks 75% of the time what will we eve-

gg motherfucke- hey come on at least give me the serpent amulet!!!! at least my prophet gets the +4 cat charm. Also the cat charm flags you as a lady even if you are a dude and this matters for only I think seduction.

So anyway events!

Sweet I love gold.

I think this costs us about 60 bucks.

Checking out the triton attack- 10 points of PD does not cut it.

The overview. I predicted nazca hitting that other prov correctly. I am moving the land stack back to consolidate and hit the north ichythids while diplomancing at nazca.

HOW WILL I EVER EXPAND WITH ASPHODEL

anyway I have a lot of extra dollars after hiring the normal round and the mercs are up so

I WILL OVERPAY and use them to invade Phaecia. Ha ha ha!

Consolidating the north army while moving more dudes up. I am gonna ping that throne too see how bad it is. Underwater thrones are a joke as a rule, but lets not be too cocky.

I actually seem... very rich unsurprisingly. With you know, the super ocean.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What happens if you hire land mercenaries with only UW provinces, do they just show up and instantly drown? Because that would be kind of hilarious.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

only 10pd while you have like 1100 gold smdh didnt even fort the province what a weenie

are wailing ladies an ermor summon or such? i noticed they're blessable

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

PurpleXVI posted:

What happens if you hire land mercenaries with only UW provinces, do they just show up and instantly drown? Because that would be kind of hilarious.

you cant hire mercenaries who can't breath in that province, or in forts that are under siege

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

violent sex idiot posted:

you cant hire mercenaries who can't breath in that province, or in forts that are under siege

I'm actually surprised that there's a stupid thing the Dom 5 UI prevents you from doing.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm actually surprised that there's a stupid thing the Dom 5 UI prevents you from doing.

The only time you get warnings about drowning.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
That wail is aoe 1, so is even scarier than it looks at a glance.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

only 10pd while you have like 1100 gold smdh didnt even fort the province what a weenie

are wailing ladies an ermor summon or such? i noticed they're blessable

Yeah, they're an exclusively MA Ermor summon that they get 3 different spells to summon various numbers of them (1, 5, or 14). And as could be expected from being summonable in numbers, they're a troop rather than a commander.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Phaecia

At this point I'm just glad that Pelagia's gently caress-off scared cavalry have seem to gone away from my border. I'm spending a lot of time anxious to see if Ramc is going to come and take my UW provinces, or if he'll leave me be and be content with the massive ocean he otherwise owns. You can see why this is concerning for us!

We have done a pretty OK job expanding all around our little sea, and we have provinces and forts all over the place. I really, really don't want to give Pelagia the option to march armies right up to my forts or my capitol with impunity, because there's nothing I can do to stop him underwater.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's also kind of fascinating watching how other people's tactics vary from what you do yourself, and you start wondering if you're the one doing something dumb, or whether it's just a difference based on your nation/preferences.

Like, I always spam as many temples as humanly possible because the few times I haven't done that, I've gotten whomped with someone else's dominion and that's what's ended up choking me out. But here it looks like Ramc is a lot less forcible about pushing his dominion.

Am I just overvaluing having as many temples in as many places as possible?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

God and Scales Chat

Okay I am finally getting around to this. The secret here is that my god and scales are not terribly high concept here and in many fields I have n e u t r a l s c a l e s.

I picked the Lord of the Waves because he has water, nature and air innately on the chassis. If your chassis doesn't have the path innately there is a cost to add it. This cost varies by chassis but it is usually high unless you have some dweeb dom-1 wizard. This lets me get my bless semi-affordably. Each point after the first costs just more and more and more with paths and dominion rating. He is a beefy guy and can lead air breathing troops underwater but that will almost never be relevant I already have good UW troops I don't need surfacer garbage.

So I guess lets look at the other stuff.

Dominon
Dom strength effects how many sacreds you can hire in a given province in a month and how likely your dominions candles are to spread and/or overpower the candles of others. I bought mine up to 6. Titans start with 3 dominion base (most monsters are 2, nerd pseudo humans 1 and immobile gods 4 normally) so it isn't super expensive. I will want to hire a lot of my line troops from my cap.

Dominon score can be raised in the game. Every 5 temples you have increases your dominion score by 1.

Order/Turmoil
Each point in order increases your income by 3%, reduces unrest by 1 point/month, increases recruitment points by 10% and resources by 3% and makes random events -2% less likely to happen. If you go turmoil it just does the opposite. There are some other knock-on effects and any given scales can enable or disable certain events. I didn't want to spend points on it for more dollars but I also didn't want to take a hit to recruitment or resources because I need to mass my chaff. Some nations have advantages for having high turmoil despite it being a negative scale. Pan maenads, chaos power demons, that sort of thing.

Production/Sloth
Each point of production increase income by 3% and resources by 15%. I went all in here for Production 3 for +9% gold but more importantly 45% resources because my dudes have a lot of armor and that will probably be a limiting factor to massing them. The money is just a side benefit.

Heat/Cold
Okay so each nation has their own 'ideal' temp scale and it is usually neutral. Going up or down off this ideal neutral means -5% income and -10% supplies per step away. If you are a heat 3 nation and end up with cold 3 scales somehow on you well ha ha enjoy your like -30% income in that province I guess. Underwater has it good for a few reasons here. Temps underwater can only go 1 step higher or lower than neutral. Even though I picked cold the sea will never get under the -5% level. On land it's another thing of course but my breadbasket is the sea so whatever. Most people go high heat because dealing with snow movement is really annoying and noone wants to live the underwater movement experience on land. If my dom pushes onto the land it will be annoying for my enemies.

Growth/Death
Growth was a scale I wanted but couldn't really afford. Each point is +2% income, +10% supplies and 0.20% population growth per month. Population determines gold income of a province so this is a great long term scale. Death does the opposite slowing killing everyone.

Luck/Misfortune
This one is a bit stranger. Luck is largely agreed to not be as 'good' as it used to be in dominions 4 for some reasons. Mostly luck doesn't prevent as many bad events as it used to more or less. Each point gives +5% chance of events happening and +10% chance of it being 'good'. Misfortune does the opposite. Deeper misfortune or luck scales also unlocks the possibility for some really good or bad stuff. I went for misfortune 2 because well it isn't THAT bad, right? Oh, also, it doesn't out and say it but the chance of a national hero spawning is 3% per turn, +/- your luck scales. Yes that means 0% at misfortune 3. Food for thought.

Magic/Drain
Magic gives +1 rp per mage. Drain -1. There you go. Drain and Magic also affect the saving throws of units in provinces, with drain being the 'more resistant' one. I went neutral again. I will get plenty of wizards.

And How Tired is Your God?
So your god, by default, starts awake. For 150 more creation points he starts dormant and will wake up around the end of the first year. 12-14 turns or so. For 350 points you can go imprisoned which means good luck see your god in like 3 years- roughly 36 turns. Time was in Dom 4 you could imprison your god for a cool hellbless but with i n c a r n a t e blesses the best stuff needs an awake god so you can't just stuff your divine nerd in a locker for 3 years while chad sacred cav run around with a triple bless. No now you need to have an awake god for that nonsense.

Normally you want an awake god to help expand, usually by being some kind of unstoppable monster. In theory you could have an awake god who is awake only to give your sacreds an edge in the first year but I mean they should be able to do some lifting too. Having an awake monster god can be a hedge against an early rush.

Dormant is more attractive if your troops should be fine for the first year without the full incarnate bless or you think you can get away with it. If you just have a lot of minor blesses or your blesses are more mage oriented dormant is probably fine. You weren't gonna have all that research then anyway. Titans and immobile tend to be candidates for this.

Imprisoned means you are not going to see any incarnate blesses you took for a long time. Some people will play the long game with this but uh make sure your sacreds have some non incarnate stuff to carry them too. You usually see this with very good scales because hell why not and/or lots of little non-incarnate blesses with a dom 1 nerd. Sometimes that can be perfectly good.

Ramc fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 30, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You have neutral scales? Hah! Scrub.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

It's also kind of fascinating watching how other people's tactics vary from what you do yourself, and you start wondering if you're the one doing something dumb, or whether it's just a difference based on your nation/preferences.

Like, I always spam as many temples as humanly possible because the few times I haven't done that, I've gotten whomped with someone else's dominion and that's what's ended up choking me out. But here it looks like Ramc is a lot less forcible about pushing his dominion.

Am I just overvaluing having as many temples in as many places as possible?

I could be entirely wrong, but I seem to recall that candles have more difficulty propagating from land to sea (or vice versa) for one reason or another, so it's not quite as important. Also, if you're really templing up, it can be regarded as actively trying to push your dominion which people can view in a less than positive light - though it's not generally a huge concern unless it's a bloodsac nation.

Ramc's scales aren't particularly great either, so it's not like there's any real incentive to spread it, outside just making sure you have a decent number of candles around. With that said, M2 and the number of good events Ramc's been getting is infuriating, and a good sign of why that scale's a goddamn lie. For reference, in a recent AI game I was fiddling around, to relearn various mechanics and experiment with certain nations, with I had L2... and lost 500+ gold on turn 3 due to multiple "floods" events, and the overall quality of the events hasn't gotten much better from there.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Growth used to be king of all scales because the income bonus was 4% instead of 2%. Now it's merely a very good scale to invest in.

Ramc's scales are a pretty good examples of scales you sort of don't really care about spreading beyond what you need to avoid being domkilled or turbofucked by dominion based global spells.

e: ^^^ beaten

e2: Candles prioritize going from water to water and from land to land, but spread with no added difficulty once they do try to cross the line. In practice, this means that underwater dominion gets close to its maximum candles, and then suddenly floods outwards.

my dad fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 10, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some nations simply don't get any sacreds worth blessing (or any sacreds at all, like LA Phlegra). So you can take an imprisoned god purely for scales, or take an awake god purely as an early expander, or go dormant and use him as a battle mage of some sorts, etc. It's not always all about the bless, though it often is. Especially if you have decent enough recruit anywhere sacreds (which very few nations have).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hello my name is how are u and I am an addict. My vice is imprisoned pretenders.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the real benefit of an imprisoned pretender is you cant loving lose it if you dont have it

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You have neutral scales? Hah! Scrub.

centrist scales

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
New Agharthan National spell: Animate Guillotine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

New Agharthan National spell: Animate Guillotine

:hmmyes: :thermidor: