Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The game doesn't do enough to encourage early automation. There's the biomass burners that you can't automate. Logistics comes way too late (it works in Factorio because you can insert/extract from a belt with inserters to service multiple machines). Your belts are a bottleneck for a while on some products (screws, pure nodes). If you do automate and scale beyond simple setups, you will be constantly feeding your bank of 5 biomass burners.

I don't think it's actively discouraging early automation, but Fuzzy Mammal is right that if you setup basic crafting then just hand crafting most of the products is super easy (if not boring).

Basically, the automation game doesn't start until coal, and that is a bit silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Try a runthrough where you automate everything from the start

When I did it during the alpha weekend, I had like 15 biomass burners running (half of that was running my reinforced plate and rotor portion). That is quite the experience, and would have been pretty fun if I could belt feed burners, instead of having to constantly hand feed them

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 10, 2019

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I didn't watch the whole thing but whoever it is says that biomass is tedious especially being "that far in the game" and I wonder how bad they are that they still haven't gotten coal if it's really been that long.

I dig giantbomb in general, but every video is them just being plain BAD at games. I don't get how the staff can do this poo poo full time and be so terrible at everything they play.

Vinny had coal. The best part is when they go to the coal, because of what happens to his truck. I had linked to that time in the video but I guess it didn't work?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
As it currently stands, having played two complete games, I gotta say I prefer Factorio in basically every facet.

1) Automation in SF is very late, and handcrafting is ~9 times faster than machine crafting. That's NUTS. Factorio machines start at 0.75x and quickly go to 1.5x midgame, per machine, and you can easily have 20 Assembler 1's in 20 minutes. In SF, I got Rotors/Frames automated and Coal started at 2.5 hours and it felt like I didn't have much room to go faster or parallelize production since I was building biomass plants as fast as I could manage, and even with leaves+wood to biofuel automated in the jungle biome I still hand to handcraft some fuel at times to keep up.

To state that another way, you double your ability to mine, craft, everything, with TWO machines (ie your first two burner miners) in Factorio. You'd barely even consider that automation there. You can't outpace handcafting until you get 10 machines including miners, smelters, and constructors (and you can't automate building constructors until late-early game when you research Assemblers, and even then it's a 4 step process, due to the Reinforced Plates).

2) Power is hugely restrictive in SF. To compare again, Factorio has easily ramped-up power facilities in the form of steam boilers that are automatically managed by 10 minutes if you're slow. I haven't done the math, but my experience (ballpark guessing) says you can easily get 50 Assemblers powered with a small starter plant, whereas in SF each Biomass must be hand-fed, the fuel has to be processed twice, and each plant is good for maybe 4 structures or so.
3) In addition, power poles in Factorio autoconnect to each other and power an area-- one click and you're set. Poles in SF are good for 2 machines each, typically.
4) Midgame, the factory becomes a tangled nightmare to walk around. In Factorio it's nothing at all; worst case you have some walls of pipes that block you in. In SF the T3 and T4 belts are velcro: they grab you tight and fling you off into space. Or: they physically block you. Alternatively you can spend a LONG time to build catwalks and detangle, which is admittedly cool and fun, but if you're focused on throughput-building and trying to drill down an objective, fighting your way through a factory or trying to build a path gets old in a hurry.
5) Mid-Late game, Factorio Exosuits and tanks give you a ton of mobility. The SF Blade Runners are pretty nice, but the jump pads are bunk, the landing gel slows you down enough that running ends up being faster (let alone belts-as-transport which tend to be cheaper anyway). Parachutes are consumable, non-renewable, and must be equipped manually. Bad combo.
6) Factorio combat is serviceable, building turret walls and fortresses are cool. No comparison exists in SF -- as far as I can tell the enemies don't even respawn? They never threaten your base, constructions, or vehicles in any way.
7) Factorio Logistic/Construction Bots are, no exaggeration, the single greatest feature I've ever seen in a video game. No comparison exists in SF.
8) Lategame, in Factorio you build bases/mines with dozens or low-hundreds of pieces in a single (or handful) of clicks, because you have the structures themselves ready to go in blueprints and they place instantly with a click. SF lategame is identical to midgame as you must carefully and individually place a foundation for, space out, place, wire up, and connect conveyors to every single structure individually.
9) Nothing in SF fits on a grid :argh:
10) Vehicular automation is pretty decent in SF, but they aint no trains

Some of these can be handwaved as Early Access: (1) is likely a temporary stand-in as the game develops, (5) feels like a feature set that has room to grow, and (2) has some balance kinks that will probably work out. (6) is purely taste; I like some combat and threat, while many people turn Factorio to Peaceful and that's fine. But (4), (7) (8) and (10) are all things that really don't have too much room to change, they're just intrinsic to a 3D environment with things as they are. (9) I included because :spergin:

Satisfactory DOES get some points on Factorio though.
1) Graphics and animations are beautiful. In Factorio they're serviceable. The space elevator animation :discourse:
2) Sound design and music are excellent.
3) Character and humor is a no-brainer, they're absent in Factorio completely.

thank you for coming to my TED talk

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Number 9 chaps my fuckin hide, so annoying!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You get a grid if you lay foundation down

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I'm fairly certain trains are coming to Satisfactory, I think they are even in one of the early trailers.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ninjewtsu posted:

You get a grid if you lay foundation down

You can barely call it a grid if nothing is the same size, nor any multiple of sizes related to each other, nor is anything the size of said grid piece

Jamsque posted:

I'm fairly certain trains are coming to Satisfactory, I think they are even in one of the early trailers.

A monorail would be pretty killer

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I didn't watch the whole thing but whoever it is says that biomass is tedious especially being "that far in the game" and I wonder how bad they are that they still haven't gotten coal if it's really been that long.

I dig giantbomb in general, but every video is them just being plain BAD at games. I don't get how the staff can do this poo poo full time and be so terrible at everything they play.

It's because they do it full time. People do do games work like this tend to be kinda bad at games literally because they play so many of all sorts of different types and quickly, and never get to just sit down and play a game at their own pace and absorb the information.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

You can barely call it a grid if nothing is the same size, nor any multiple of sizes related to each other, nor is anything the size of said grid piece

I think the designers of Satisfactory just don't care about the Tetris mini-game thing that Factorio does. It's not a flaw, they just decided to make laying out factories complicated in a different way.

Satisfactory has made a lot of other decisions that purposefully make it not comparable to Factorio like the whole exploration aspect and their assumption that you'll be building several outpost factories connected by trucks and trains instead of one huge mega installation.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nodes aren’t really spread out enough for that and they are currently way too plentiful and dense in the spawning zones especially. Maybe if belts had a power cost that would be realistic but there’s no reason not to build 800 tile belts from a mining site.

Power transmission poles should also have some loss so you don’t just keep one giant power grid.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Demiurge4 posted:

Power transmission poles should also have some loss so you don’t just keep one giant power grid.

Having to balance a power grid was the worst part of modded Minecraft and would be just as bad in Satisfactory. I just want to build cool factories, not fiddle with wiring so I make sure to step up/step down power for long distance travel or whatnot.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe if belts had a power cost that would be realistic but there’s no reason not to build 800 tile belts from a mining site.

There is a really good reason: because belts are lame and trucks are cool

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ninjewtsu posted:

Did you avoid automating anything beyond the bare essentials, in this game about automation?

You can get to coal with little pain during the biomass phase, if you already know to avoid engaging with the building stuff part of the game for an hour or whatever. But if you don't do that, the game kinda punishes you for it, and that blows

Yeah, my first factory I actually automated a ton of things with biomass and constantly fought with my power limitations. The second time, I just beelined to coal and I ended up with a better factory in a fraction of the time. The biomass stage is by far the worst part of the game.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The game seems geared towards building a small factory and exploring while it builds basic components over immediately building a maxed out automated plant at the very start.

If you do it the first way, you can hand-build enough parts to get to biofuel and then coal pretty effortlessly. If you do it the second, you are always going to struggle to find enough leaves to stuff into your 148 biomass burners.

Maybe if there were fewer resources available at the starting location people wouldn't feel the need to gear up so quickly?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
One of the best things about SF is that you can build on something that's not a grid and I fully plan on writing a mod that lets you turn off the snap to angle/point for foundations and also adds random offsets/rotations to all placed buildings, assuming the modding is general enough to allow for it. Symmetry is a limitation for a weak mind, man.

Automated trucks are a) cool and b) much easier to set up than a long-rear end belt line IMO, but most distances aren't very long before oil. The monorails look like they'll be great.

Power is real annoying in a couple of different ways. Biomass is at least fleeting and can be powered through quickly if you focus, but the game should really either make it possible to either automate biofuel entirely very early on or force the use of coal before unlocking assemblers. Allowing the player to build assemblers without having coal power set up is purely a footgun as is. However, if there's one thing I really want it's powered walls and foundations that automatically transmit power to any structure built on them and wall/foundation they are attached to. The pole routing minigame is just no fun at all.

Ultimately, the game isn't trying to be an exact 3D Factorio, which is probably for the best. It's downplaying the entire mass scale factory logistics aspect in favor of just using small logistics puzzles as a method to force you to explore a (gorgeous) hand-crafted world and build pretty little factories on it. Enemies are only there as an exploration hazard that you need research and factories to overcome, not a survival aspect. Building placement remains purely manual, no botswarms sicne it's very hard to do that in 3D. Unlike Factorio I don't see myself coming back to do any repeat playthroughs after I've reached whatever the "end" of the game/techtree is and presumably explored most of the world in the process: I'm fine with that.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The whole biomass burner problem could be alleviated by moving coal to Tier 2. Tier 3 seems pretty far along for something so essential as automatable power when T2 has jump pads.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Xerophyte posted:

However, if there's one thing I really want it's powered walls and foundations that automatically transmit power to any structure built on them and wall/foundation they are attached to. The pole routing minigame is just no fun at all.

i think these are in the next tiers

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bbcisdabomb posted:

The whole biomass burner problem could be alleviated by moving coal to Tier 2. Tier 3 seems pretty far along for something so essential as automatable power when T2 has jump pads.

I would be happy with them just having an input. leaves to mass to fuel can be automated, though not the collection. having auto fueled generators goes a long way. once you get the chainsaw biomass collection is a non-issue

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i'm actually more annoyed about having nothing to do with all the biomass i incidentally collect after getting to coal

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm still probably mid game right now, just got coal fully up and running, working on getting started with Steel production, and I agree with pretty much everything in this big list of :words:

The game is a lot of fun and I'm definitely still hooked atm but the automation stuff is incredibly slow in some cases compared to just manually making a bunch of stuff. Adding more buildings in to crank out more items is a good way around this but with how much space everything takes up it just gets incredibly overwhelming, and making a tower to look down at from above isn't a great solution as it makes it pretty tough to line poo poo up that's not directly below you anyway (plus I fall off the ladder every goddamn time)

I haven't messed with the trucks yet but the idea of that sounds cool, however the drones in Factorio really do give you that level of "Holy poo poo, I've made it" when you walk into your base and you get swarmed with bots taking junk from you and bringing you materials that you need. It's just so cool. And it doesn't sound like there's anything like that planned for this game. It's still early access, and it definitely took Factorio a very very long time to get to the game it is today so I've not totally lost hope however the tail on this game seems a lot shorter than Factorio from what I can tell.

Edit: That said, I haven't really done any exploration in the world at all at this point so I'm sure there's some cool stuff out there for me to see, but I was never really one who cared about stuff not related to my base in Factorio and I kind of feel the same way here. I am perfectly happy staying in my area getting an efficient base up and running and don't have much interest in exploring outward unless it's for a distant resource I need.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 10, 2019

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Concerned Citizen posted:

i'm actually more annoyed about having nothing to do with all the biomass i incidentally collect after getting to coal

Use them on crashed probes

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I wish there was more going on to the exploration. I don't really want to go through the whole map with a fine tooth comb, I rend to see something like a spire in the distance and go "ah, a landmark, surely there's something cool up at the top of that" and then there's like, a slug.

Meanwhile in some totally random spot on the map is a caterium node, which I can't scan for and is necessary for lots of cool items (including faster movement to let me explore better), so I guess I'm just looking up a map on reddit rather than look around for cool landmarks and see what neat goodies are on top of them (it's slugs, it's always slugs)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Also yeah there really, really needs to be biomass burners that accept an input. Maybe you unlock them at the same time as biofuel? I get what they're doing: early in the game if you want automation, you gotta gather from the area around you, and ideally you say "well while I'm at it let's check out this interesting looking nearby cliff too" and find a mercer sphere or something and go "woah cool what's this" but the way it works, you're either then spending a lot of time hand feeding your burners and not really playing the factory part of the game, or you've not automated at all and don't need much power so you're also not playing the factory part of the game. Exploring us cool, but I want to build a factory before being an hour in! Let me do that!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

when mercer spheres actually do something, I hope it's incredible.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a dev roadmap one can subscribe to anywhere?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Concerned Citizen posted:

Yeah, my first factory I actually automated a ton of things with biomass and constantly fought with my power limitations. The second time, I just beelined to coal and I ended up with a better factory in a fraction of the time. The biomass stage is by far the worst part of the game.

The only problem with biomass is that there's a limited quantity of it on the map. I hope the devs plan to add tree planting eventually and automatable biomass burners.

ninjewtsu posted:

Meanwhile in some totally random spot on the map is a caterium node, which I can't scan for and is necessary for lots of cool items (including faster movement to let me explore better)

If you look carefully, you can find caterium/etc ore rocks which will give you enough ore to unlock the tech so you can scan for it to find the nodes.

Speedball posted:

when mercer spheres actually do something, I hope it's incredible.

Is that the gravitational radiation thing? Hoping it's a true flight pack that lets you stay in the air for a minute at a time.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the official website

quote:

Early Access Launch - March 19

The first couple of weeks will focus on patching and hotfixing:
• Crashes
• Most annoying bugs
• Smaller QoL improvements

Update #1 - End of April

• Quartz Research Chains
• Sulfur Research Chains
• Conveyor Lifts

Update #2 - End of May

• Tier 7 (Nuclear and Aluminium)
• Trains
• Overhaul late game areas

Further down the road - TBD

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 10, 2019

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

https://www.satisfactorygame.com/roadmap

I'm a little disappointed with their patches so far. Obviously I'm not expecting a bunch of content in a month, but they should really be able to fix more than 4 edge-case bugs in that time-frame. There are a ton of really tiny requests (being able to wear a jetpack and boots at the same time) and more significant bugs (players getting a new body and leaving behind their old one on every re-log) that really could have been done in a month. Hopefully that kind of development speed won't always be the case.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Taffer posted:

https://www.satisfactorygame.com/roadmap

I'm a little disappointed with their patches so far. Obviously I'm not expecting a bunch of content in a month, but they should really be able to fix more than 4 edge-case bugs in that time-frame. There are a ton of really tiny requests (being able to wear a jetpack and boots at the same time) and more significant bugs (players getting a new body and leaving behind their old one on every re-log) that really could have been done in a month. Hopefully that kind of development speed won't always be the case.

I'm fairly sure that neither you nor anyone else in this thread knows anything of significance about their engine, their codebase, their asset pipeline, their staff levels, their priorities, or anything else that would inform how fast they can patch the game or how complex the fixes you want might be to implement, so maybe ease off a bit with the proclamations about what they can or cannot do in a month.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jamsque posted:

I'm fairly sure that neither you nor anyone else in this thread knows anything of significance about their engine,

It's using UE4, which anyone can download and play with. I think a lot of people know something about the engine.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I don't know if the list of features on the road map was meant to be exhaustive. I'll bet it isn't.

Just wait until the end of the month to see what they put out before you start to panic.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Factorio has spoiled people with the frequency and amount of bugfixes in each patch, I guess.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think we're all just spoiled because we're used to playing a factory game with 5 years of exceptional development behind it, it's hard to jump right into another factory game that's brand new and very incomplete without seeing the glaring differences

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Just got to oil... the closest one is 1800m away. Hopefully the truck route isn't obnoxious.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Naylenas posted:

Just got to oil... the closest one is 1800m away. Hopefully the truck route isn't obnoxious.

Just build a conveyor line out there. There's one that's actually a pair of oil pools, and about 2km to the north-easterly. You'll have to do some creative climbing and just bruteforce through some poison gas, but when you put in a conveyor then you will ship in more oil than you can use without some truly massive production works.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, on the one hand now that I've done all the research I want to start over and build a new factory with different design principles, but on the other I don't want to play out the different ways of building factories before patches drop that extend the game further. I feel like it'll be more fun to start over for new content than just staple quartz/sulphur processing onto an existing factory and call it done.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Taffer posted:

I think we're all just spoiled because we're used to playing a factory game with 5 years of exceptional development behind it, it's hard to jump right into another factory game that's brand new and very incomplete without seeing the glaring differences

Also 5 years of quality of life improvements. Satisfactory is still quite a fun game without them, but I am hoping some get added very soon (instant/mass deconstructing, multiple equip slots for jetpack+bladerunners+mask at the same time, quick removal/insertion of resources, etc).

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Cobbsprite posted:

Just build a conveyor line out there. There's one that's actually a pair of oil pools, and about 2km to the north-easterly. You'll have to do some creative climbing and just bruteforce through some poison gas, but when you put in a conveyor then you will ship in more oil than you can use without some truly massive production works.

Yeah I had to do a 1.4km conveyor for my coal supply. I might go truck this time and just build it an absurdly long elevated highway to the oil field.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ambaire posted:

multiple equip slots for jetpack+bladerunners+mask at the same time,

Yeah that's the big one for me. I can put on a gas mask or rollerskates but not both at once? Come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

Why are we discouraging truck routes? They have great throughput and are way easier to set up than crazy long conveyor belts. And considering you will need a lot more than 60 a second of oil or plastic or whatever you end up shipping the conveyor belt is going to be ridiculously expensive.

What I might consider is setting up computer production at the oil site, if there's copper remotely nearby.

Speedball posted:

Yeah that's the big one for me. I can put on a gas mask or rollerskates but not both at once? Come on.
I feel like it's a way to force jumping puzzles on you. A jetpack lets you get up anything fairly easily so let's cover that thing in poison gasses so you gotta use the risky snaking series of platforms to jump up there.

I hate it and totally agree that it's bullshit. All it ends up doing is making me build horrible twisting catwalk ramps around those kinds of places.

That said I really disagree that slugs are a lame reward. Once you get into overclocking it's easy to end up just slapping them all over your factory to improve/balance everything, and naturally you run out real quick doing that if you haven't done a ton of exploring. Slugs are actually a pretty great way to bring the factory game and the exploration game together.

I hope mercer spheres and those other things end up being fun too.