Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

[turning to goon sitting next to me in the audience] the gently caress is NPS

Okay, so

Imagine that someone asked you "how likely, on a scale of 1 to 10, are you to recommend this business to someone else?"

You give your answer, they note it down.

If you gave them a 6 or lower, you're a Detractor and probably going to poo poo-talk them.

If you gave them a 9 or 10, you're a Promoter and probably actively saying positives.

Otherwise you're neutral.

Total up all the promoters, subtract all the detractors, divide by the total number of people you asked, multiply the result by 100, and that's your Net Promoter Score, a percentile grade for How Good You Is. It's technically a proprietary system but it's so fuckin' basic bitch obvious that it's functionally public domain at this point.

For example, if you survey 20 people, get back 10 Promoters, 6 Detractors and 4 Neutrals, you have an NPS of 20 ((10 - 6) / 20) * 100).

You'll notice that it always gives a number between -100 and 100 so metrics geeks cream their pants about how easy it is to plot over time, and a lot of senior management types like it because it's a single, simple, holistic number they can look at and assign targets to, that the business can inevitably fail to meet because the score's swingy as gently caress and early gains decay like hell over time as the new product smell wears off and people get used to your system being a default.

Source: The company I work for is ten years old and senior management set an NPS score goal of 35 after the statistics guys manged to fluff a 30 out of a carefully selected group of customers.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furia posted:

This escalated quickly

Yeah, I really hate NPS. I’ve seen it do a lot of damage to companies, teams, and people, and earlier in my career I was complicit in managing to NPS as a metric I didn’t take the time to look at critically. I am trying to atone. I have multiple researchers in my division working on better ways to track word-of-mouth impact because I don’t want NPS to surface in our product even though our customers use it themselves and ask about it.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's really not a thing that's useful as a one-off data point. The thing about those scales is they CAN be used over time to measure trends in an individual - if someone rates their pain as a 5 when they first come in but later rates it as a 7, you know something has gotten worse because their own subjective experience has changed, even if you don't really have any sense for how bad a "5" or a "7" actually is.

Yes, NPS is quite limited in telling you about many important changes in the underlying data, so it’s not really that useful in tracking changes over time in an actionable way!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Stolen from the Pokemon thread:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Phlegmish posted:

[turning to goon sitting next to me in the audience] the gently caress is NPS

Neopets Score. Some companies are taking gamification way too far it turns out.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I really hate NPS. I’ve seen it do a lot of damage to companies, teams, and people, and earlier in my career I was complicit in managing to NPS as a metric I didn’t take the time to look at critically. I am trying to atone. I have multiple researchers in my division working on better ways to track word-of-mouth impact because I don’t want NPS to surface in our product even though our customers use it themselves and ask about it.

Yes, NPS is quite limited in telling you about many important changes in the underlying data, so it’s not really that useful in tracking changes over time in an actionable way!

My company just adopted NPS, gently caress.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ensign Expendable posted:

My company just adopted NPS, gently caress.

YCMPOS

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Kingler is a small sample size legend. Boban Marjanovic rear end crab.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Alkydere posted:

Extra :goonsay: about this one: All of the numbers I've checked on here are wrong. Even if you're as generous as possible butterfree only got 5 wins, and Kingler is missing one of its three fights, so it should be 5/7. Snorlax is also missing a bunch of matches and should be lower etc etc

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/nihilistspicer/status/1115638220904120321

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I hate rating scales, from 1-10 "8 is average" corporate scales to product review 5-star scales, just every rating scale is bullshit because people are poo poo at them.

No, I'm not going to go through my music library being all "well, I like this song, but about half a point less than this other song I also like" like some dweeb. Spotify got it right by not having rating scales. You put a checkmark on the songs you like, and that's it. Nobody cares where you rate it on a 5-point scale.

Similarly, Facebook removed the stupid star ratings and now they just ask you whether you would recommend a page or not, and you can put a mini-review. That's how to do it.

/rant

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hear they tried to turn the thread rating system into a gold/poo poo only system but editing the five-point scale in any way causes the forums to explode and Lowtax to suffer a seizure

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hear they tried to turn the thread rating system into a gold/poo poo only system but editing the five-point scale in any way causes the forums to explode and Lowtax to suffer a seizure

:ck5:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I realized I've never rated anything other than 1 or 5 so I rated this thread 4

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KozmoNaut posted:

Similarly, Facebook removed the stupid star ratings and now they just ask you whether you would recommend a page or not, and you can put a mini-review. That's how to do it.

This was an enormous fight between people who confused precision with accuracy (most PMs and about half the engineers) and those who wanted to optimize participation and clarity (UX, a couple rogue PMs, half the engineers, every single data scientist who even brushed up against it). I'm glad that the good guys won.

The Economist revisits some dataviz goofs:

https://medium.economist.com/mistakes-weve-drawn-a-few-8cdd8a42d368

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Great way to anger your dog-loving friends:

https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1115901865156403200

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bulldogs are pretty garbage as dogs. But all dogs are great.

I kinda wish there was a way of establishing the dumb/smart dimension better but unless they did something weird like rotate the dogs (not just flip it vertically) it'd be hard to convey.

As a dachshund owner I'm good with this chart (they're not that smart but they are awesome).

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Cats #1

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lmao at the cat (in the "Hot Dogs!" area by the papillon)

Also how the gently caress are they correct about bulldogs but wrong about pugs (they are dumb and trash and I love them)

DarkHorse has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Apr 10, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:yeah:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Great way to anger your dog-loving friends:

Decided to fix this garbage graph

e: someone with twitter please tweet this at him

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Apr 10, 2019

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

DarkHorse posted:

Also how the gently caress are they correct about bulldogs but wrong about pugs (they are dumb and trash and I love them)

Bulldogs are Good Boys and all the health problems they have are not their fault.
Don't know why they rate border collies so high, they are the most neurotic fuckers around.

Edit: ^^^ Yeah that's much better.

Hobnob has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Apr 10, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

There is a cat on that chart, too.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

DarkHorse posted:

I have a pug, and despite about a year's worth of observation I still can't figure out if he's dumb as a brick or just intransigent. Possibly both.

In summation, pugs are the cats of dogs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chitin posted:

I have a pug, and despite about a year's worth of observation I still can't figure out if he's dumb as a brick or just intransigent. Possibly both.

In summation, pugs are the cats of dogs.

Not if you have to take them out to pee and poo they're not. :shrug:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

There is a cat on that chart, too.

Cats are apparently the fifth-best kind of dog, according to their data.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Cats are apparently the fifth-best kind of dog, according to their data.

And yet way less popular than scads of breeds of dogs, something about that data point :thunk:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Piell posted:

I realized I've never rated anything other than 1 or 5 so I rated this thread 4

I forgot you could rate threads until just now. I never rate threads, I guess.

Edit: voted 4

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i rate threads i like 1, because they're number 1!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This change is stupid because we shouldn’t expect size and mass to have a proportional relationship.

We should expect mass should scale with the cube of neck size.

The new neck size is 0.955× the old neck size, so the mass should be 0.9553 × 20.5 kg = 17.8 kg.

That’s close enough to what we see on the graph.

Dogs aren’t radically changing shape. They’re simply shrinking.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

This change is stupid because we shouldn’t expect size and mass to have a proportional relationship.

We should expect mass should scale with the cube of neck size.

The new neck size is 0.955× the old neck size, so the mass should be 0.9553 × 20.5 kg = 17.8 kg.

That’s close enough to what we see on the graph.

Dogs aren’t radically changing shape. They’re simply shrinking.

The first graph kind of implied a weird as poo poo shapeshift because the lines were crossing

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah the author's explanation on that one was muddled. They measures SHOULD be extremely correlated, even before you account for the length/volume scaling (and moreso after). And they are. But that correlation is also trivial/uninteresting, the dimensionality thing is trivial/uninteresting, and the appearance of an interaction can be confusing. So I'd separate the lines but NOT change the scales (just move one up to separate the lines). Or just pick weight and leave the neck size off the chart. But it's all pretty small beer I think.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Excuse me, beagles aren't dumb, they just have a different priority than you. Namely, food.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

mobby_6kl posted:

Excuse me, beagles aren't dumb, they just have a different priority than you. Namely, food.

or escaping, so they can get more food

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Armacham posted:

or escaping, so they can get more food

Or shooting down the Red Baron in their Sopwith Camel.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Yeah, a border collie is a good dog, if you dedicate 15% of your day to keeping that dog busy as hell

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mobby_6kl posted:

I think you’ll find that food is pretty much my highest priority.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I wonder the extent to which breeding beagles to have good senses of smell was in practice breeding dogs who are super hungry.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

I think you’ll find that food is pretty much my highest priority.
That's a good point!

Coincidentally someone posted this in the funny pics thread:

That's a top-right corner dog right there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dogs are all annoying and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dogs are all annoying and dumb.

thanks for visiting the something awful dot com forums, mr. president