Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Meaningful Votes.

What if you made a train that had to eat people on the tracks in order to run?

Like, it worked out 1p a mile cheaper than electrification and so that's what Virgin went with, but now the train is an independent being that must feed?

Write that book - I'll read it!

Anyone else going to Ytterbium next weekend?

Ed: catte tax again!

One of the 'complicated cats' from the Complicated Cats sanctuary: http://www.complicatedcats.com/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why can't I get paid to be the government's official bad opinion haver?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Write that book - I'll read it!
Predatrain - The claws of privatization

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ThomasPaine posted:

Event Horizon is the best film ever made and I will fight anyone who suggests otherwise

I was quite distressed to learn it was originally much longer but all the extra scenes got tossed down a Transylvanian salt mine to rot for some reason

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

Why can't I get paid to be the government's official bad opinion haver?

Can't be helped, mate, that's just the material conditions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

I was quite distressed to learn it was originally much longer but all the extra scenes got tossed down a Transylvanian salt mine to rot for some reason

Whaaaat the biggest problem with that movie is that it isn't paced like Alien that's lame.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

some of my friends are going to that salt mine on their honeymoon later this month. I'll ask them to have a look.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Can't be helped, mate, that's just the material conditions.

It's a rhetorical question intended to highlight the absurdity of of his job rather than me actually asking why the conservative party do not appoint me personally to the useless job for their mates.

But ta.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

It's a rhetorical question intended to highlight the absurdity of of his job rather than me actually asking why the conservative party do not appoint me personally to the useless job for their mates.

But ta.

You're very welcome!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Whaaaat the biggest problem with that movie is that it isn't paced like Alien that's lame.
Also while they're doing spinoffs about every possible thing in the Alien franchise, we're long overdue a Jones movie.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

wait this is real :wtc:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Predatrain - The claws of privatization

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...h-a8862811.html

quote:

The familiar red trains that have been running on the West Coast main line for more than 20 years will be gone in less than a year.

Virgin Trains has had its bid to continue the franchise from London Euston to Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, North Wales, Glasgow and Edinburgh rejected.

The train operator is owned by Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Group and Stagecoach Group.

Marauding gangs of outlaw trains

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Jose posted:

Uh, apparently yes

wtf

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/event-horizon/50122/exploring-the-deleted-footage-from-event-horizon

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

Yeah I know right

Like I could understand them cutting it because of dumb marketing reasons, but instead of someone who cared taking the clippings home to store against the prospect of a future director's cut, they just got thrown the gently caress out

And ended up in Romania, somehow

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At this rate there won't be any franchises left for labour to nationalise.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah I know right

Like I could understand them cutting it because of dumb marketing reasons, but instead of someone who cared taking the clippings home to store against the prospect of a future director's cut, they just got thrown the gently caress out

And ended up in Romania, somehow

the salt mine is a sci fi museum

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JFairfax posted:

the salt mine is a sci fi museum

Hyperbole is the soul of shitposting. :colbert:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Sci fi fandoms are a salt mine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given the wonders of modern CGI (we revived Leia!) one would think he could easily reshoot at lot of the scenes with either the original actors digitally touched up or look-alikes digitally touched up.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hyperbole is the soul of shitposting. :colbert:

you don't need to tell me

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

Given the wonders of modern CGI (we revived Leia!) one would think he could easily reshoot at lot of the scenes with either the original actors digitally touched up or look-alikes digitally touched up.

Not enough people will pay for it.

Are there any movies out there in the whole "warp" like theme? Short of say Hellraiser I guess.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

jabby posted:

So why is it wrong for a lion to kill a human but not a gazelle? The lion is the one acting both times. And if neither is wrong, why save the human?

Assuming you would save the human I guess, its not a moral quandry if you let them get eaten.

It's not wrong for the lion to kill anyone

It's *your* brhavior as a human that is subject to ethics

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Katt posted:

Not enough people will pay for it.

Surely we can gather all the chumps who dumped money on star citizen and persuade them to dump their cash on more worthy ventures

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

Surely we can gather all the chumps who dumped money on star citizen and persuade them to dump their cash on more worthy ventures

They don't think anything is more worthy than Chris Robert's Space Cult though

Thst's the problem

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

Think they're buying Teslas now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord Stimperor posted:

It's *your* brhavior as a human that is subject to ethics
No it isn't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

They don't think anything is more worthy than Chris Robert's Space Cult though

Thst's the problem

Oh I'm sure a more worthy cause could prise them aw-

Katt posted:

Think they're buying Teslas now.

god loving drat it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sure am glad our government bought a load of these while implementing crippling austerity elsewhere

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1115810801854468097

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Nuclear book chat came up recently and since I'm halfway through it - what's the thread's take on it for those who've read The Dead Hand? (Command and control is also on my desk, waiting for its turn to be read)

E: forgot to name the book lol

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Jose posted:

sure am glad our government bought a load of these while implementing crippling austerity elsewhere

You could change that to Japanese plane, and I would still know that they are talking about the F35.

Obligatory link

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1115999729207390209

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The weird thing about this is that you don't even have to go back a week to see every conservative and liberal columnist pin their colours to the mast and call him the greatest conservative. There are guys who did an interview with him a week ago who presumably heard everything he said in this interview but chose not to include that in anything they published.

Jose posted:

Everything about American Arms sales is hilarious. They essentially blackmail you into buying their lovely planes, tanks and missile defence systems that all don't work or they won't sell you the stuff that does work/bomb the poo poo out of you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eararaldor posted:

You could change that to Japanese plane, and I would still know that they are talking about the F35.

Obligatory link

I don't see why you can't put missiles on a school.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I think hollywood is trying to move away from touching up these days :v:

In all seriousness though probably, but it'd be a case of finding a cgi company willing to both remaster and render stuff, and finding a producer willing to fund it on the hope of making the money back from sales of the DC.

Nightbreed's new cut mostly happened through fan dedication, I knew one of the dudes who worked on it (he photoshopped together the tapestry at the end - they never had a full shot of it so he just cobbled together a composite from existing footage that someone else cleaned up).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't see why you can't put missiles on a school.
:bibisay:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

God damnit EU you were supposed to flip off May's pleas for a delay. :argh:

I was anticipating the start of the next recession on friday.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

there's a bad joke about you being salty in here somewhere but I can't justify doing it

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

ThomasPaine posted:

Event Horizon is the best film ever made and I will fight anyone who suggests otherwise

I saw this when I was 11. It was the movie that desensitized me.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Grouchio posted:

Yeh lol poor people dying is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Sorry your plan to short the pound didn't work out, Mr. Redwood.