Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This December would be the 40th anniversary of ST:TMP. You'd think that the big screen launch of Star Trek would be enough to do a 4k remastered box set of the original films, but it course there's not even a rumor even though one of the films was already done a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

bull3964 posted:

This December would be the 40th anniversary of ST:TMP. You'd think that the big screen launch of Star Trek would be enough to do a 4k remastered box set of the original films, but it course there's not even a rumor even though one of the films was already done a few years ago.

gently caress that, just do TMP and give me a theatrical re-release :pray:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Hollywood is convinced that SciFi that isn't 90% explosions won't sell so they won't touch TMP for any reason.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's amazing, nothing I've seen posted about that Greatest Generation podcast makes me want to listen to it.

My personal bugaboo is how angry Adam gets when he finds out people listen to the podcast at slightly faster than 1x speed.

Overall I dig the show, but there's so many little things that annoy me about TGG that sometimes it's overall hard to put up with. Proud to not be in the 'pocket of Big Rod', but the minute they were donated tickets to the Discovery premiere, they couldn't stop praising it over The Orville. All the various and sundry ads for other Maximum Fun podcasts. The yearly(?) fundraising drive that reminds me uncomfortably of WTTW. Their 'help our podcast out' avenue is counted in multiples of $100. Their annoyance with Facebook despite the fact that they promote their live shows on Facebook.

The irony of this is that I found them after getting really bored/annoyed with Mission Log, and for a long time it was refreshing as hell. Maybe I'll switch to that Rachel show.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MisterBibs posted:

My personal bugaboo is how angry Adam gets when he finds out people listen to the podcast at slightly faster than 1x speed.

...why? Why does this anger him? :confused:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

lol if you think Paramount gives a poo poo about old Star Trek movies. they can't even be bothered to make new ones anymore! :xd:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...why? Why does this anger him? :confused:

From what I remember, its because he believes that his podcast has such precise comedic timing that speeding things up would ruin it. iirc, he posted something on twitter once of a podcast-in-editing that said "this is the hard work that is ruined by 1.25 speed".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

From what I remember, its because he believes that his podcast has such precise comedic timing that speeding things up would ruin it. iirc, he posted something on twitter once of a podcast-in-editing that said "this is the hard work that is ruined by 1.25 speed".

It'd clearly be easier if he talked faster

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly my biggest problem with the Greatest Gen is that sometimes they miss really really obvious stuff and then get annoyed that it wasn’t there.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gorelab posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with the Greatest Gen is that sometimes they miss really really obvious stuff and then get annoyed that it wasn’t there.

Somewhat broader than the topic, but this is my personal annoyance for review podcast and can make or break one for me.

Like, I've cooled on We Hate Movies lately because for a handful of other reasons, but what started me down the "I don't think I'm entertained by this anymore" path was them criticizing a scene from the Power Rangers movie (of all things) because it didn't have X/Y/Z, and I had a visceral negative reaction because X/Y/Z was actually in the scene.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm glad that this thread has the proper take on Greatest Gen. I only started listening during the DS9 eps, and I get that they went through a honeymoon period with TNG where they got popular and got into a groove making fun of it, but man DS9 is way better and they are some fussy bitches sometimes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MisterBibs posted:

Overall I dig the show, but there's so many little things that annoy me about TGG that sometimes it's overall hard to put up with. Proud to not be in the 'pocket of Big Rod', but the minute they were donated tickets to the Discovery premiere, they couldn't stop praising it over The Orville. All the various and sundry ads for other Maximum Fun podcasts. The yearly(?) fundraising drive that reminds me uncomfortably of WTTW. Their 'help our podcast out' avenue is counted in multiples of $100. Their annoyance with Facebook despite the fact that they promote their live shows on Facebook.

The irony of this is that I found them after getting really bored/annoyed with Mission Log, and for a long time it was refreshing as hell. Maybe I'll switch to that Rachel show.
I will grant them the fundraising stuff once a year since apparently they don't take on as many other jobs now that they have three different podcasts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah you listen to any Max Fun show you get used to the once yearly fundraising drive for two episodes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
OK nerds, riddle me this.

I've decided I'm gonna finally watch TOS, but i have no clue what order to watch it in. The production numbers don't align with the air dates at all. I'm looking at memory alpha and it just doesn't make sense. Also the pilot episode aired in... 1988? 20 years after the show? Was this a time when pilots were never broadcast and only for TV execs or something?

Anyway I've watched the pilot (The Cage) and then episode 6 (The Man Trap) because that was the first one aired. What do people recommend? Is there any continuity between episodes?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

There is pretty much zero continuity between episodes. You can watch in whatever order you like.

Original air date order is fine. I'm vaguely certain that Netflix also orders it that way?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Production order is generally considered superior, since you can follow the quality curve as competent (non-Roddenberry) people get involved (and then leave :smith:). Having said that, there's nothing wrong with airdate order either, if you're streaming and it's set up that way.

There is continuity in characters, in that they are the same characters from episode to episode. Details about their backgrounds and the universe they inhabit can vary wildly between any given story, even those from the same season. There are a few recurring crewmembers besides the main cast, but they're mostly phased out by season two. Harry Mudd comes back once.

That's it for TOS continuity.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

OK nerds, riddle me this.

I've decided I'm gonna finally watch TOS, but i have no clue what order to watch it in. The production numbers don't align with the air dates at all. I'm looking at memory alpha and it just doesn't make sense. Also the pilot episode aired in... 1988? 20 years after the show? Was this a time when pilots were never broadcast and only for TV execs or something?

Anyway I've watched the pilot (The Cage) and then episode 6 (The Man Trap) because that was the first one aired. What do people recommend? Is there any continuity between episodes?

The Cage was rejected, but the network saw enough promise that they ordered a second revised pilot which did things like replace Pike with Kirk. The only reason the events of The Cage are considered canon is that they reused a lot of the footage in a later TOS double parter.

There is some loose continuity, but it's very much a product of the era where things were expected to be seen once and if you missed it you missed it so it's all fairly self contained episodes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“The Cage” wasn’t accepted by the studio as an appropriate pilot, they gave a list of changes to make and then told them to go back and make another pilot. That’s “Where No Man Has Gone Before”. I recommend starting with that, then “The Corbomite Maneuver”. “The Man Trap” is also a decent choice to watch early on since it’s the one they decided would make the best introduction to the show. A lot of the story from the original pilot is then retold in the two-parter “The Menagerie”.

There is very minimal continuity between episodes, even less than in TNG. A vaguely self-consistent setting is established in the course of the first season and is the basis for the whole rest of the overarching plot of the rest of the series (Earth has fixed up modern day problems and politically United, is now exploring space and is friends with the Vulcans and enemies with the Klingons and Romulans) but I’m pretty sure you could count the number of actual references within episodes to the events of other episodes on your fingers. There is no plot arc and no character arcs. The show assumes you’re familiar with the characters’ basic personalities and got some idea of what the show is about from the intro.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's kind of interesting that back in the 90s, all the official chronologies and series guides listed TOS episodes in production order, but now everything seems to show them in airing order.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Where No Man Has Gone Before is the best first episode IMO, but ultimately there is no true first episode of TOS. The Man Trap literally doesn't even feel like a first episode in any way, it just jumps right in. WNMHGB has at least some slight intro stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Where No Man Has Gone Before is the best first episode IMO, but ultimately there is no true first episode of TOS. The Man Trap literally doesn't even feel like a first episode in any way, it just jumps right in. WNMHGB has at least some slight intro stuff.
WNMHGB is legit good Trek episode, even if the psi stuff is kind of weird for Trek

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Into Darkness not being about Gary Mitchell is one of the greatest tragedies of JJTrek.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drone posted:

Into Darkness not being about Gary Mitchell is one of the greatest tragedies of JJTrek.

I remember the speculation over that, and everyone thought it was going to be a Khan rehash. Then Benny Cumberbatch got cast and we all went “Gary Mitchell!!!”.

Oh boy how wrong we were.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

iirc Karl Urban fed into it by "leaking" to some reporter that Cumberbatch is an amazing Gary Mitchell

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
"My name is

KAHHhhaaAANN *teeth*"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FlamingLiberal posted:

WNMHGB is legit good Trek episode, even if the psi stuff is kind of weird for Trek

It’s not that weird, spooky mind powers is a recurring element of Trek. Talosian illusions, Spock, Troi, Wesley warping the ship to dreamland, Bajorans all feeling each other’s paghs up, etc. They never quite double down on the “some humans are kind of psychic 🤷‍♂️” thing the way say, Babylon 5 does. But I don’t think it’s much weirder than anything else on Star Trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drone posted:

That or not having Benicio Del Toro as Khan

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sir Lemming posted:

Agreed. Aside from that, I would recommend watching in whatever order your selected media put them in because it doesn't matter at all.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

That or not having Benicio Guillermo Del Toro as Khan

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Or maybe, like, an Indian dude

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

They’ve posted a trailer for the DS9 documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxHtZqzie1k

I am extremely extremely excited for this

I don't think enough people are pumped that they storyboarded out an entire new episode from the original writers. Also I appreciate the dude using machine learning to remaster it but holy poo poo does the official stuff look amazing:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think enough people are pumped that they storyboarded out an entire new episode from the original writers

Move Along Home Alone 2: Lost in Third Shap

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drone posted:

Move Along Home Alone 2: Lost in Third Shap

I would watch this in a heartbeat, Move Along Home is my favorite "so bad it's good" episode

But in reality I think it's actually a "if we had gotten S8 here's what the first episode would have been" which is still pretty awesome!

e: apparently it's animated storyboards too, here's a preview (I guess Molly O'Brien joined Starfleet too? Apparently Ezri being a Starfleet captain is from the books?)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 10, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also I am incredibly sad that I missed out on this reward for people who backed the documentary:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah you listen to any Max Fun show you get used to the once yearly fundraising drive for two episodes.

The Max Fun Drive is especially insidious because they don't do the courtesy of having background music playing during the advertising, makes it way harder to skip properly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Snow Cone Capone posted:

also I am incredibly sad that I missed out on this reward for people who backed the documentary:

ohgoddamnit

Someone whip up a copycat and put it on Redbubble, please.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Double-posting because I'm doing a TNG watch through (up to "Relics") and I just realized that the amount of time that has elapsed since the air date of this episode (1992) is greater than the amount of time that passed between "Relics" and the end of the original run of TOS.

loving hell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

ohgoddamnit

Someone whip up a copycat and put it on Redbubble, please.

:same:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I haven't been able to find a high-res image of it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm definitely in the camp that's more excited about the documentary for symbolic reasons, honoring the show and whatnot, than what's actually in it, including storyboards of a hypothetical continuation. I'm always torn between wishing the show were more popular and thinking it couldn't have been more popular without getting tampered with. I've arrived at being totally happy with what we got -- it's not like it got prematurely cancelled or anything. They were able to make the best show they could make, and that's about all I could ask.

Salivating over those HD clips tho