Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
4 days until zombie Dany and her stupid dead dragons.

Get hyped! #TeamCersei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

4 days until zombie Dany and her stupid dead dragons.

Get hyped! #TeamCersei

Go #TeamCrazyFireLady!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
One of the dumbest things in the show to me is how cavalier Cersei is about her and Jaime after she's made queen. And yeah I understand that it's supposed to demonstrate how reckless and myopic she is but cmonnnnnn

Joffrey being RUMORED to be illegit was one of the main reasons the entire War of Five Kings sets off. Now the sept explodes, Tommen kills himself (3rd dead throne-sitter in what like 9 years?), Cersei makes a questionable claim on the throne, starts making major military moves that include basically wiping out the Tyrells (who were a lot more beloved than Lannisters) AND on top of all of it decides to tell the whole country "by the way I'm loving my brother and our kid will be the next ruler"?

I get that she's supposedly feared now, but KL would be a madhouse. Even just doing the war thing, after you've already mentioned the granaries aren't looking good for Winter, should have made the commonfolk be over it by now.

And speaking of which like lol hasn't the Lannister army been fighting non-stop for almost a decade now? Are they all sellswords at this point?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 10, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Targaryens did it so it probably isn’t worth being killed by Cersei for speaking up

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

One of the dumbest things in the show to me is how cavalier Cersei is about her and Jaime after she's made queen. And yeah I understand that it's supposed to demonstrate how reckless and myopic she is but cmonnnnnn

Joffrey being RUMORED to be illegit was one of the main reasons the entire War of Five Kings sets off. Now the sept explodes, Tommen kills himself (3rd dead throne-sitter in what like 9 years?), Cersei makes a questionable claim on the throne, starts making major military moves that include basically wiping out the Tyrells (who were a lot more beloved than Lannisters) AND on top of all of it decides to tell the whole country "by the way I'm loving my brother and our kid will be the next ruler"?

I get that she's supposedly feared now, but KL would be a madhouse. Even just doing the war thing, after you've already mentioned the granaries aren't looking good for Winter, should have made the commonfolk be over it by now.

And speaking of which like lol hasn't the Lannister army been fighting non-stop for almost a decade now? Are they all sellswords at this point?

There's basically no way there'd be a single throne in Westeros at that point. Dorne would break off, the Reach would break off, the Vale would break off, the North is already broken off, and if Frey is in charge of the Riverlands he's going to "pay homage" but not taxes. The show just needs to get to a conclusion, so they're not really dealing with the fact that she's queen of Kings Landing and Lannister lands and that's it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also #TeamMelisandre tbh I just want to look at Carice Van Houten's beautiful face

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

people would understand grrm better, i think, if they internalized that this series of his is just his passion for the Wars of the Roses writ large, and subsequently turned into successful TV programming

of course he'd rather write a laborious history of his fictional dynasty than bother with narrative prose

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If I had to guess I'd say he probably preferred the whole TV thing right up until everyone got mad at him for doing his thing and stopped letting him write episodes.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
when/why did they stop letting him write episodes? i do recall that being a thing at some point of the show

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

when/why did they stop letting him write episodes? i do recall that being a thing at some point of the show

iirc the reason for him stepping away from the show was to give himself more time to write the next book

so lol

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

esperterra posted:

iirc the reason for him stepping away from the show was to give himself more time to write the next book

so lol

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, it's dumb, but few people care. KLwas starving and rioting and literally tearing the Pope apart like a zombie flick because the Tyrrels had closed the food supply, but now, at the doorstep of winter? Eh, gently caress it, food's aplenty. Margaery was beloved of the commons, enough to make even Tywin and Joffrey pause? Well, sept exploded, Margewho again? Not to mention the High Sparrow. But then again, dead religious figures never really inspire anyone, right?

But yeah, them somehow making Lannisters go from a spent force to a loyal, lethal power is just dumb. Emm, they just got more soldiers! Theyt were out of gold, but, umm, mercs from outta nowhere who don't fear dragons! Abandon Casterly rock to strike at Highgarden without Varys hearing anything, and with all the troops being alright with their lands being plundered and their families imprisoned and raped!

Might as well make it that they hit this box with a question mark and a star popped out, and now they'e invincible for two seasons.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, it's dumb, but few people care. KLwas starving and rioting and literally tearing the Pope apart like a zombie flick because the Tyrrels had closed the food supply, but now, at the doorstep of winter? Eh, gently caress it, food's aplenty. Margaery was beloved of the commons, enough to make even Tywin and Joffrey pause? Well, sept exploded, Margewho again? Not to mention the High Sparrow. But then again, dead religious figures never really inspire anyone, right?

But yeah, them somehow making Lannisters go from a spent force to a loyal, lethal power is just dumb. Emm, they just got more soldiers! Theyt were out of gold, but, umm, mercs from outta nowhere who don't fear dragons! Abandon Casterly rock to strike at Highgarden without Varys hearing anything, and with all the troops being alright with their lands being plundered and their families imprisoned and raped!

Might as well make it that they hit this box with a question mark and a star popped out, and now they'e invincible for two seasons.

It's because the show is trash. Book too.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sephyr posted:

And it kind of makes 3/4s of the show meaningless, since the only thing that really matters is the fight at Winterfell, all Cersei's enjoyable narcissism really doesn't matter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

t-minus 6 or 7 weeks until we see Daenerys Targaryen pelted with poo at King's Landing

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Eh they got food and gold when they took it all from the Tyrells. As for the people what are they gonna do. I'm pretty sure every minor lord threw up their hands and went "whatever" long ago. They could have 100 soldiers left and noone can really do poo poo to organize against them at this point. And if the golden company is anything like the mercs Stannis hired they'll poo poo their pants at the sight of snow and run back to essos well before they see a dragon/white walker/giant merman/podricks massive cock.

Its stupid but its not magic invincible ghost army out of nowhere Lord of the Rings stupid.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

Its stupid but its not magic invincible ghost army out of nowhere Lord of the Rings stupid.

Yeah that really caught me off guard. Like we spend 3 books of races uniting and setting aside their differences to fight the forces of evil then a previously unmentioned and never referenced again ghost army shows up and wins the whole thing in like one scene and that's that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Imagine being one of those soldiers trying to hold your guts in after being ripped apart by an orc and then a zillion immortal ghost soldiers wipe out Sauron's army in seconds and you're like "really, you couldn't have gotten here 2 minutes sooner? Got me fighting when Mr. Fancy King Aragorn has an army of invincible ghosts? loving hell."

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

You're thinking of the movies. In the books they can't fight anyone, but they do spook the corsairs of Umbar into running away so Aragorn and co can take their ships.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
With "and co" including the whole Grey Company, which are basically the Expendables of Middle-Earth.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Katt posted:

Yeah that really caught me off guard. Like we spend 3 books of races uniting and setting aside their differences to fight the forces of evil then a previously unmentioned and never referenced again ghost army shows up and wins the whole thing in like one scene and that's that.

That wasn’t in the books...

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That wasn’t in the books...

They both kind of flow together after two decades and it was still dumb.

Katt fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 11, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Josuke Higashikata posted:

t-minus 6 or 7 weeks until we see Daenerys Targaryen pelted with poo at King's Landing

I hope it's true because it'd be the one final "wait what....I thought Ned was the main character" moment that the series could possibly pull off.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The main character dying at the end of the series... truly unheard of in the history of television.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I hope it's true because it'd be the one final "wait what....I thought Ned was the main character" moment that the series could possibly pull off.

Honestly, Ned dying at the end of book 1 was probably the highlight of the series. Even though getting there felt immensely contrived, it "subverted" tropes about protagonists and how fantasy works. It felt like anyone could die. Then it just became clear that we hadn't correctly identified the protagonist(s).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

YaketySass posted:

The main character dying at the end of the series... truly unheard of in the history of television.

Maybe if she was going out in a blaze of glory rather than what's rumored

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Honestly, Ned dying at the end of book 1 was probably the highlight of the series. Even though getting there felt immensely contrived, it "subverted" tropes about protagonists and how fantasy works. It felt like anyone could die. Then it just became clear that we hadn't correctly identified the protagonist(s).

That may be true for younger readers, or those getting started on fantasy/sci-fi (and there's nothing wrong with that). For anyone who ever read Dune, Eddard Stark had Duke Leto sirens blaring out of his rear end.

Personally, I found his take on misfits if the system (Davos, Sandor Clegane, Tyrion before he became a weird parody of himself) far more noteworthy than a POV character being killed. Hell, even Jaime Lannister's inner life was an interesting read, though that narrative can get a bit confused.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I liked the Baron in the original Dune. He was kind of a complex character. He wasn't out to kill Leto because slaying the patriarch of a house rankled him personally. Instead Leto just became collateral damage in a plot to kill the baron.

Sadly all the prequels turn the baron into this cartoonishly evil villain. He's a very noteworthy character. Even more so because the original is only featured in the first book and the rest of the franchise just makes references to him and they degrade with time and authors.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sephyr posted:

That may be true for younger readers, or those getting started on fantasy/sci-fi (and there's nothing wrong with that). For anyone who ever read Dune, Eddard Stark had Duke Leto sirens blaring out of his rear end.

It's a sort of trap that authors who want to "subvert" genre expectations tend to fall into. On the one hand, they're never the first author to try to subvert that particular trope, and on the other, once you've blown up the story structure, how do you write a satisfying conclusion?

This is part of the reason for the "[X] author can't write endings" problem that's endemic in genre fiction. It's a lot easier to throw bombs at an existing structure, and a lot harder to build something really new.

Katt posted:

I liked the Baron in the original Dune. He was kind of a complex character. He wasn't out to kill Leto because slaying the patriarch of a house rankled him personally. Instead Leto just became collateral damage in a plot to kill the baron.

Sadly all the prequels turn the baron into this cartoonishly evil villain. He's a very noteworthy character. Even more so because the original is only featured in the first book and the rest of the franchise just makes references to him and they degrade with time and authors.

The neat thing about the original Dune books is that Frank Herbert was bringing a lot of thought and scholarship and insight to his work, and all of that influenced and deepened the work, like an external sun adding energy to the ecosystem. Then once he was dead that went away and nothing new could be added, just a machine cannibalizing itself.

Same reason the Star Wars sequels and prequels never measure up to the original trilogy. You can subvert the originals or imitate the originals but you can't really build on them because then it's not Star Wars any more it's something else, and subversion and imitation only get you so far.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 11, 2019

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Someone reminded me that on the show, armies solely reflect the personality and power of the characters involved, which nails how bizarre the whiplash of the last couple seasons are. It's ok to kill all the Tyrells and not expect any blowback because once Margaery and Loras are dead, well, the Tyrell armies just kinda disappear. Don't worry about Dorne, all their named characters are dead so their army disappears in a flash of smoke. The Vale? Well, I guess now they're the North's soldiers, don't worry about it. The Riverlands disappeared the second Edmure popped up and left the stage again.

It's pretty inexcusable the lengths the show went to make it a level playing field between Cersei and everyone else. There's no sensible way to have her equal Daenerys' forces, but between Deus Ex Euron and extremely contrived plot contortions, they made it so. Oh well.

All I wanted out of the later seasons of the show was Stannis the Mannis and Wyman Big Dick Manderly serving Frey Pies, and they couldn't even give me that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This is apparently from a couple days ago

Yes that’s a strip club.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The neat thing about the original Dune books is that Frank Herbert was bringing a lot of thought and scholarship and insight to his work, and all of that influenced and deepened the work

It also has an incredible ratio of pages to how great of a world is created. It's insane how concise that book is.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes that’s a strip club.

He's doing casting for the HBO prequel show

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is that goony hat surgically attached to Gurm’s head?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

Good point. I remember one of the parts of God Emperor of Dumne that hosed with my teenage mind was Leto II telling the newest Duncan ghola that he misunderstood the Baron and that he was being naive to reduce him to a satanic fgure, while many of the heroic figures he isolized were more than monstrous enough. Being a gestalt being that incorporated the Baron and plenty of others, he knew what he was talking about.

Then again, one of the books basically had the Baron being an evil genetic shade that turned nice girls into sluts, but I guess you could consider that Alia's crumbling mental defenses succumbing to what she saw as the evil side of her genetic memory. If you are being charitable.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a sort of trap that authors who want to "subvert" genre expectations tend to fall into. On the one hand, they're never the first author to try to subvert that particular trope, and on the other, once you've blown up the story structure, how do you write a satisfying conclusion?

This is part of the reason for the "[X] author can't write endings" problem that's endemic in genre fiction. It's a lot easier to throw bombs at an existing structure, and a lot harder to build something really new.

Very true. It's one of the things that soured me a bit of Neal Stephenson. I really like his style and narratives and so much about his writing (even if in his books you are either a nerd-savant/kicker of rear end, or a whining nobody that should obey your betters), but he can't close a story for poo poo. Most of them just kind of stop, and it made me slow down a lot when it comes to reading more of his books.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

Someone reminded me that on the show, armies solely reflect the personality and power of the characters involved, which nails how bizarre the whiplash of the last couple seasons are. It's ok to kill all the Tyrells and not expect any blowback because once Margaery and Loras are dead, well, the Tyrell armies just kinda disappear.

tbf the Tyrell armies' destruction at the hands of lannister Teleporting Army Magic is only slightly more hand-wavy than their pending demise at the hands of greyjoy Cthulhu Magic

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I was expecting Cersei to stay in power by ordering Qyburn to raise her a whole undead army for some reason.

Oh well.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katt posted:

I'm confused - Do you mean Leto was just collateral damage in a plot to kill the Emperor?

The Baron was written as a cartoonishly evil villain. I'm not saying I disagree that he got MORE so as time went on, but - man. Using torture, murder and manipulation to subvert Dr. Yueh, twisting Mentats to control ( and discard ) them, A harem of rape-boys, Forcing Feyd to garotte all the women in the sex-slave barracks as a lesson, specifically requesting a drugged rape-boy that looked like Paul, too grotesquely fat to move on his own, I'm sure I'm missing a million things too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

kcroy posted:

I'm confused - Do you mean Leto was just collateral damage in a plot to kill the Emperor?

Dr. Yueht put in a fake tooth in Letos mouth which when broken would produce a poison cloud to kill the baron and Leto

kcroy posted:

The Baron was written as a cartoonishly evil villain. I'm not saying I disagree that he got MORE so as time went on, but - man. Using torture, murder and manipulation to subvert Dr. Yueh, twisting Mentats to control ( and discard ) them, A harem of rape-boys, Forcing Feyd to garotte all the women in the sex-slave barracks as a lesson, specifically requesting a drugged rape-boy that looked like Paul, too grotesquely fat to move on his own, I'm sure I'm missing a million things too.

I always thought the "Baron likes little boys" thing to be a bit ham fisted. It's all done completely outside the story itself. Almost in a parallel universe between the baron and the reader as a way for the author to go "hate this guy now" with as little effort as possible.