Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Glumslinger posted:

Wait, I thought it was close based on a shitload of exit polls? That looks like a slaughter

from what i understand blue and white is running in opposition to likud, but their platform is basically likud without bibi's corruption and some noises made about stopping the rockets once and for all

the election is neck and neck, but between two rightwing parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They've been calling themselves "The sane right".
If they were actually different they'd be left or center though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Despite everything running against him Bibi still manages to remain in power huh?
Can't say I'm surprised. But you'd think he'd be on the way out by now?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Quick question from a former Habonim Dror madrich : when the gently caress did Israeli politics get so super right wing that the left is barely visible anymore?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

By popular demand posted:

They've been calling themselves "The sane right".
You talking about Kulanu, or about Gantz?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Gradually after the Rabin assassination and in the post 9/11 world it was all set.

E: Gantz called Blue and White the sane right

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 10, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Madkal posted:

Quick question from a former Habonim Dror madrich : when the gently caress did Israeli politics get so super right wing that the left is barely visible anymore?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

By popular demand posted:

93% reporting

Right: 80 loving seats
35 Blue and White
35 Likud
5 United Right
5 Yisrael Beiteinu

Religious right: 16 seats
8 Shas
8 United Torah Judaism

Left: 20 seats
6 Hadash - Ta'al
6 Israeli Labor Party
4 Meretz
4 Ra'am - Balad

Centre: 4
4 Kulanu

Other parties:

:sludgepal:

So if these results are correct Netanyahu forms a coalition that has 61 seats, giving him a majority of only 2. However the main opposition will be another right-wing party that will barely be a hindrance to any plans Likud have. All the other parties combined are still a distant third behind the opposition.

Nothing is stopping Netanyahu doing whatever he wants

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Well anyone who was into accelerationism is gonna get their wish now lol

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The fact that people are so gloomy seems to indicate that ya'll let yourself get conned into some unwarranted optimism.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The guy who killed Rabin got what he wanted in the end

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Netanyahu you mean.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

He got it even before he killed Rabin, that's the whole joke.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Something I never understood; everyone in Israel speaks English right? The Hebrew is just for show?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Madkal posted:

As far as I can tell, part of it is that the major left parties have spent the last couple decades drifting right and being virtually worthless as opposition, which has simultaneously turned off left-leaning voters and empowered the far right to draw more and more of the populace into right-wing rhetoric with stunts like defunding left-leaning entertainment and incentivizing more people to move into settlements.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

HootTheOwl posted:

Something I never understood; everyone in Israel speaks English right? The Hebrew is just for show?

Lol? Israelis speak Hebrew with one another.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

HootTheOwl posted:

Hebrew is the most common first language but learning English is a core requirement of education so it's an almost universal second or third language.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mcmagic posted:

Netanyahu you mean.

quote:

Rallies organized by Likud and other right-wing groups featured depictions of Rabin in a Nazi SS uniform, or in the crosshairs of a gun. Protesters compared the Labor party to the Nazis and Rabin to Adolf Hitler and chanted, "Rabin is a murderer" and "Rabin is a traitor". In July 1995, Netanyahu led a mock funeral procession featuring a coffin and hangman's noose at an anti-Rabin rally where protesters chanted, "Death to Rabin". The chief of internal security, Carmi Gillon, then alerted Netanyahu of a plot on Rabin's life and asked him to moderate the protests' rhetoric, which Netanyahu declined to do. Netanyahu denied any intention to incite violence.

No wonder Bibi and Trump are such great friends. The same rhetoric is being used in the US now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, the west bank is gonna be annexed, like he promised?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, the west bank is gonna be annexed, like he promised?
Probably, but I’m not even sure what the practical difference will be.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

FlamingLiberal posted:

The difference would be the sanctioned obliteration of any Arab villages in "unfortunate" locations. At the moment the policy is to slowly strangle the Arab presence but if parts of the West Bank were formally annexed then the army would move in and ethnically cleanse areas of interest.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

No wonder Bibi and Trump are such great friends. The same rhetoric is being used in the US now.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1115989820935819264

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Flayer posted:

The difference would be the sanctioned obliteration of any Arab villages in "unfortunate" locations. At the moment the policy is to slowly strangle the Arab presence but if parts of the West Bank were formally annexed then the army would move in and ethnically cleanse areas of interest.
Don’t they already do that?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Israel reelecting Bibi even after everything is like all those parts in the Bible where God patiently gives the evil people chance after chance to make amends but they're too arrogant to budge even an inch.

looking forward to your divine destruction

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

Don’t they already do that?

It's a question of magnitude.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Mantis42 posted:

looking forward to your divine destruction

If there's anything to learn from the last three millennia of history it's that God doesn't conform to human cognitive expectations. That might be a good thing, I would have given up on humans after the second or third raping and pillaging army got organised.

I'm so tired,
About the level of English speaking in Israel:
It varies in a major way mostly by generation:
The first migrants to the state had mostly never learnt,
People born in the 50's and 60's got into a reasonable level mostly by exposure to media (some words were borrowed with incorrect pronounciation),
Millennials got taught in schools and adapted quickly to the rise of Information technology.

You'll find that most Israelis speak in a level appropriate for business but struggle a bit in personal conversation.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It could open up the ability for building in the West Bank to be treated exactly the same as building in Israel proper, without any need for special approvals, which could considerably speed up settlement expansion.

Really, though, a lot depends on the details.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/halaljew/status/1116054004230971392

lol loving hell

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol loving hell

No apartheid to see here.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Not trying to suggest it isn't, just to drat ignorant to know, why are cameras a deterrent to voting? Like I sort of just assumed that Israel was a surveillance state already, is there targeted harassment of Arabs that they discover voting?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Not trying to suggest it isn't, just to drat ignorant to know, why are cameras a deterrent to voting? Like I sort of just assumed that Israel was a surveillance state already, is there targeted harassment of Arabs that they discover voting?

Suppose the Republican Party in the USA is handing out cameras to Klansmen so that they can install them in voting stations in Black districts.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Because the Israeli government can and will detain you without charges and torture you whenever they want to, especially if youre politically active.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the idf will go into schools and arrest 9 year olds because they threw rocks.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

kidkissinger posted:

Because the Israeli government can and will detain you without charges and torture you whenever they want to, especially if youre politically active.

I guess my question was more, given you live in state that does the above and my assumption (maybe incorrect) that the Israeli government is already a mass surveillance state then why would the cameras be an additional deterrent? Maybe I am giving the Israeli government too much to assume that they already know who is voting where in their country, but I figured at this point the Arabs in that country assumed they are being watched at all times. Then again I don't pretend to understand the psychological stress the Palestinian people are under, maybe the mere reminder that they are being watched is enough to deter.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Like I sort of just assumed that Israel was a surveillance state already

It's an apartheid state.

The UK is a surveillance state, but you can be 95% sure that surveillance won't be used by the state to enact literal violence against you for the crime of existing in society.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I guess my question was more, given you live in state that does the above and my assumption (maybe incorrect) that the Israeli government is already a mass surveillance state then why would the cameras be an additional deterrent? Maybe I am giving the Israeli government too much to assume that they already know who is voting where in their country, but I figured at this point the Arabs in that country assumed they are being watched at all times. Then again I don't pretend to understand the psychological stress the Palestinian people are under, maybe the mere reminder that they are being watched is enough to deter.

Because it's illegal for the cameras to be there. Do you really not get why people would be put off by the current ruling party, which is currently allying with literal fascists and trying to officially make Arabs second-class citizens, illegally placing cameras in voting areas and advertising the fact that they were the ones who did it?

In the first place, why do you just assume that Israel is a "surveillance society", or that it somehow means that persecuted populations will be totally fine with finding Likud agents wielding hidden cameras in voting areas? The GOP pulled exactly the same stunt in 2016, minus cameras: calling for Trump supporters to stand around in their polling sites as "election observers" and confront or harass anyone they thought might be voting illegally (i.e., minorities).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JesusIsTehCool posted:

There's a difference between surveillance by technically officially lawful authorities and surveillance by fascist militias.

It's not the cameras they're afraid of, it's the bloodthirsty fascist thugs who are placing the cameras.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bennet and Shaked are sadly apparently in, the soldier votes brought them to 3.26% of the vote (the threshold being 3.25%)

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bennet and Shaked are sadly apparently in, the soldier votes brought them to 3.26% of the vote (the threshold being 3.25%)

It will take 'till (after)noon no count all the special votes (soldiers, diplomats aboard, prisoners, etc) - but so far, apparently blue-white loses 2 seat, the right and the haredi loses one each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Now the reports are that the vote counting was subject to some software bug and supposedly Shaked and Bennet are likely out while Meretz is likely up to 5 seats, but final confirmation will only come later in the day.