Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

I am glad I have found my soul mate in the girl who hates moe. :hai:

:hf:

That being the one thing preventing the two of them from just jumping each other was hilariously absurd while being imminently relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
This might be a hyper-vague or weird recommendation request.

I'm looking for a show or movie where the characters solve their problems through being good people, or the issues they face don't necessarily facilitate the characters being terrible to each other. Maybe they learn to be a team, and they don't backstab each other to achieve their goals. They basically have to do the right thing, and they choose to do it with their buds being by their side.

It sounds like I'm asking for conflict-free, lovely plotless anime, but that's not the case. The closest thing I can think of is Brooklyn 99. The characters have their disagreements, but at the end of the day, they still come through because they like each other. I'm a little burnt-out on backstabbing secretly-evil characters, or everyone just being lovely to service a plot.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm looking for a show or movie where the characters solve their problems through being good people, or the issues they face don't necessarily facilitate the characters being terrible to each other. Maybe they learn to be a team, and they don't backstab each other to achieve their goals. They basically have to do the right thing, and they choose to do it with their buds being by their side.

It sounds like I'm asking for conflict-free, lovely plotless anime, but that's not the case. The closest thing I can think of is Brooklyn 99. The characters have their disagreements, but at the end of the day, they still come through because they like each other. I'm a little burnt-out on backstabbing secretly-evil characters, or everyone just being lovely to service a plot.

Most of the conflicts in Seirei no Moribito are settled by the parties talking to each other, even when at first one might be trying to kill the other.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Captain Hotbutt posted:

mob psycho 100 has a lot of this.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Gonna sound like a broken clock here, but Run with the Wind.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

Gonna sound like a broken clock here, but Run with the Wind.

yeah tbh that sounds almost like a description of the show, watch this one

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Twin Spica

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Gatchaman: Crowds probably
Mob Psycho 100 almost definitely

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I like this query a lot and I am forced to recommend Vifam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Hotbutt posted:

gaogaigar specifically had 'no traitors' as a plot mandate and it's all about how burning passion and relying on your friends can overcome any obstacle. also cool giant robots.

girls und panzer is basically any 90s sports movie with a bunch of misfits learning to be a team, but with tanks. the arc of the show is the protagonist's family having taught her to be lovely in order to win at all costs and her faith in the bunch of misfits she's gathered together being rewarded over the idea of sacrificing any of them or not trusting in them.

really i feel like a lot of sports anime would fit this in general. the anime adaptation of it has issues (including that the anime staff dont seem to actually know the rules of american football) but if you're up for a manga, eyeshield 21 is a really fun one since the general gist of every match is that the captain has an insane plan and everyone trusts that it'll work even if they argue about how stupid it sounds.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 10, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Galactic Drifter Vifam is a space odyssey adventure of a disparate school group of children separated from their parents when a war breaks out and eventually ending up the sole survivors on a training vessel they learn to operate, becoming a tight knit family in the process as they go through trials and tribulations on their journey back home. It's cool and has a cool theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAieDXxGKY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Orange.

It's a group of kids working together for the sake of one person and is pretty goddamn powerful. It's not an action series in any way, but a great story on trauma and depression.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Hotbutt posted:

First thing that came to mind was Tsuritama, which is many of the above recs PLUS fishing and ducks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Barakamon
Gatchaman Crowds
Bungo Stray Dogs (has betrayals, but they're committed by an abuse victim with trust issues, and she's ultimately forgiven under very understandable circumstances)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Go watch Summer Wars, it's an animated film that's primarily about a rural folksy family banding together to help stop a major internet crime, it's extremely :kimchi: in parts.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Endorph posted:

really i feel like a lot of sports anime would fit this in general. the anime adaptation of it has issues (including that the anime staff dont seem to actually know the rules of american football) but if you're up for a manga, eyeshield 21 is a really fun one since the general gist of every match is that the captain has an insane plan and everyone trusts that it'll work even if they argue about how stupid it sounds.

I started leaning towards finding happy-go-lucky "buds being friends" stuff because of a sports anime - Hanebado - combined with watching Devilman Crybaby recently. I really liked Hanebado (and started playing badminton because of it!) but a lot of the plot was just people being terrible to one another to drive things to the final confrontation. There was release and satisfaction seeing characters grow and develop as the show went along, for sure, but I was getting burnt out on "I will destroy you", "my mom left me because I wasn't good enough", and "you aren't working hard enough so I'm going to make you quit".

I understand that stories need conflict to drive things and that everything would be boring as hell if it was all sunshine and roses. I'm just trying to escape the "everybody acts like garbage all the time" trap. Ever since Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones or whatever got all-consuming-influential, entertainment's been "terrible people act terribly and they will reap the harvest of their terrible actions, but only if we treat them as terribly as they treat everyone else." Probably why I gave up on Devilman Crybaby, even though I love Masaaki Yuasa's work normally.

Thanks everyone! I will check out the recommendations, and thank you for letting me get on my soapbox for a bit.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hanebado was pretty unique like that, at least in terms of other sports anime. Like there's definitely more melodramatic shows and ones that leverage more intense rivalry but I can't think of any that are so uh trauma-driven as Hanebado was

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Am I missing something by recommending A Place Further than the Universe? How come this has not been recommended yet? There are two examples of conflicts/backstabbing that I can think of but not by the central characters of the show, and the other works in a rather positive way for the group dynamic, I feel.

edit: also

Captain Hotbutt posted:

(...) I really liked Hanebado (and started playing badminton because of it!) (...)

Was it really that good? I couldn't stomach starting to watch it because I returned to badminton thanks to university sports but injured myself in a way which makes me scared to play it ever again since my other calf muscle is now hosed. (I lift and run instead these days because they're extremely predictable).

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 11, 2019

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Hotbutt posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but you might try Windy Tales.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I started leaning towards finding happy-go-lucky "buds being friends" stuff because of a sports anime - Hanebado - combined with watching Devilman Crybaby recently. I really liked Hanebado (and started playing badminton because of it!) but a lot of the plot was just people being terrible to one another to drive things to the final confrontation. There was release and satisfaction seeing characters grow and develop as the show went along, for sure, but I was getting burnt out on "I will destroy you", "my mom left me because I wasn't good enough", and "you aren't working hard enough so I'm going to make you quit".

I understand that stories need conflict to drive things and that everything would be boring as hell if it was all sunshine and roses. I'm just trying to escape the "everybody acts like garbage all the time" trap. Ever since Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones or whatever got all-consuming-influential, entertainment's been "terrible people act terribly and they will reap the harvest of their terrible actions, but only if we treat them as terribly as they treat everyone else." Probably why I gave up on Devilman Crybaby, even though I love Masaaki Yuasa's work normally.

Thanks everyone! I will check out the recommendations, and thank you for letting me get on my soapbox for a bit.

dude, seriously, you've seen mob psycho right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Hotbutt posted:

If you want a sports show from the same season as Hanebado that's much nicer, check out Harukana Receive. There's some moderate fanservice elements but it's about beach volleyball so it at least fits in naturally, and since it's a 2v2 sport it's all about trusting your partner.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

dude, seriously, you've seen mob psycho right?

Not yet! Starting this weekend because of this thread.

Endorph posted:

If you want a sports show from the same season as Hanebado that's much nicer, check out Harukana Receive. There's some moderate fanservice elements but it's about beach volleyball so it at least fits in naturally, and since it's a 2v2 sport it's all about trusting your partner.

Will look into it! Thanks!

Dessel posted:

Was it really that good? I couldn't stomach starting to watch it because I returned to badminton thanks to university sports but injured myself in a way which makes me scared to play it ever again since my other calf muscle is now hosed. (I lift and run instead these days because they're extremely predictable).

I really dug it, but an arc involves someone playing through a similar injury so you might get sympathy pains.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Not yet! Starting this weekend because of this thread.

if the first episode isn't quite to your taste, give it a couple more. s2 is basically word for word what you've been asking for, s1 i think takes a couple episodes to get to that point.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Hi guys, I asked about sports anime cause I liked Ippo the other day - just wanted to say Run with the Wind was a hot pick, thanks!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

TheEye posted:

Yearly Twelve Kingdoms novel update for Nate and anyone else who cares:

The first draft of the new novel is finally finished, and it will be edited and published by Shinchosha in 2019. It is indeed a continuation of the Taiki storyline. The first draft is an absurd 2500 pages long (on vertically lined Japanese paper, but still). Given the length, a fan translation will likely take several additional years... but at least it will be started at some point this year.

Small update on this, it's gonna be released as 4(!) volumes, the first half on October 12th and the second half on November 9th. Most of the other books were 2 volumes, so approximately twice as long.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy poo poo DD Fist of the North Star is loving hilarious

if you have hidive and like FotNS you've gotta watch this

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
The humor in isekai quartet just feels off for me

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

cergos posted:

The humor in isekai quartet just feels off for me

Yeah, it's been "zany" in a way that doesn't actually make me laugh.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.

Paracelsus posted:

Yeah, it's been "zany" in a way that doesn't actually make me laugh.

Exactly. The flavors/styles of each show's humor are still sort of there, but they've failed to capture why each show's humor was funny in the first place.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aqua scaring the everloving poo poo out of everyone in Nazarick with her spontaneous TURN UNDEAD on Ainz was friggin' hilarious, though. :mmmhmm:

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
So far I'm not really getting grabbed by Haikyu. I'm on the seventh episode, so I don't know if it'll start to grab me more. It hasn't focused a ton on the training aspect as much (it did a little bit before they started the first 3 on 3 match), does it get into it more in the future? I'll stick with it if there's a certain threshold of episodes where it tips a certain way.

So before coming here I've watched:

Hajime No Ippo (loved it)
Hunter x Hunter (loved it)

From this thread I was recommended Run with the Wind, which I also loved, and Haikyu I'm a little meh on.

Thanks for the help guys!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I still recommend Twin Spica

https://youtu.be/LyRNeS8dm70

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006

Julias posted:

I still recommend Twin Spica

https://youtu.be/LyRNeS8dm70

I just quickly read a synopsis and it does actually sound interesting, I'll see if I can find it somewhere!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Capital Letdown posted:

So far I'm not really getting grabbed by Haikyu. I'm on the seventh episode, so I don't know if it'll start to grab me more. It hasn't focused a ton on the training aspect as much (it did a little bit before they started the first 3 on 3 match), does it get into it more in the future? I'll stick with it if there's a certain threshold of episodes where it tips a certain way.

From this thread I was recommended Run with the Wind, which I also loved, and Haikyu I'm a little meh on.

There’s a certain point where haikyuu just becomes amazing. Also there’s more training in the future. They haven’t even assembled a full team yet where you’re at nor have they met their main big rivals so I say keep going at it since you’re still in the building the team phase.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also a lot of Blunt Head Trauma.

I'm worried about lil' Hinata. :ohdear:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
keep going on haikyuu

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Capital Letdown posted:

if u want training, try Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings, which is just one long anime about training to be a rescue helicopter pilot

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Capital Letdown posted:

I didn't really get grabbed by haikyuu until I was fifteen or so episodes in. I'd stick with it a little longer. To make a comparison with HxH, you're in Heaven's Arena right now. There's a _lot_ of tablesetting going on, but it does pay off.

Otoh, don't force yourself to watch something you don't enjoy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I feel a sudden urge to read Samurai/feudal Japan-based comics, the more hosed up the better, which is usually pretty easy since the feudal system was insanely hosed up. I've read the usual suspects (everything by Kazuo Koike, Jin, Shigurui, Vagabond, Blade of the Immortal, Ooku), anything else out there? My only request is they aren't based around cooking because I'm kind of over cooking-based mangas at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sen