Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

MVP: Rocky for the Explosive Punch
City Event: Option B, I'm curious about the coin.
Brute Perk: Add +3
Money: Obviously sell the Hide Armor. Everyone can donate and Rocky should get a Hide Armor of its own.

Should we wait until Rocky grabs the perk?

Also, if we play one of the 2 boss scenarios we have available on casual mode next Rocky could retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Reik posted:

Should we wait until Rocky grabs the perk?

We could, though one scenario with two -1s probably won't kill it.

Reik posted:

Also, if we play one of the 2 boss scenarios we have available on casual mode next Rocky could retire.

This, on the other hand, is very tempting.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

This, on the other hand, is very tempting.

It would also showcase how casual mode works.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

We could, though one scenario with two -1s probably won't kill it.

Optimize! :doom:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Reik posted:

It would also showcase how casual mode works.

That would complement the LP - as Casual Mode is available from the start, but I think I should add some other new feature to it to prevent the repeated Scenario from being too boring (since we've seen all those scenarios recently enough); if we pick that option, I'll try to come up with something to spice the mission up a bit! Maybe a video playthrough to showcase how the game plays out normally (either irl or over TTS), a "Rocky and Friends" episode (playing the scenario with Rocky +2 of the other starter character's) or even a simple Difficulty +1.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
City Management V, Update 1
Let's see what wonderful piece of trash treasure we've got!

City Event 17, resolution posted:

Effect: Unlock Scenario 81 - Temple of the Eclipse
A new Scenario! Events can lead to all kind of new things, including Scenarios and plot developments.

Finances posted:

Having a look at the economic side, it looks like there is a strong lead for donating with everyone and having Bullwinkle sell his old Hide Armor (for half its price, so +5 gold).
- Master Splinter's updated gold: 44
- Rocky's updated gold: 10
- Bullwinkle's updated gold: 20
All three gain 2xBLESS cards for the next Scenario and our total Donations to the Sacred Oak Sanctuary rises to 10.
Envelope "B" Unlocked!

The IRL box contains a ton of sealed stuff...including these delightful envelopes, with a (paper) seal you have to tear off in order to open them :)

Unsealing Envelop B... posted:

The back is mysterious enough...

More prosperity! Also, a kickass sticker to track our donations!
Updated Prosperity:

As you can see, every 5 donations we'll increase Gloomhaven's prosperity tracker by 1. Also this does nothing to counteract our bad rep. I was told paying for simonies was the way to go :argh:

Let's discuss where our party should head to next, even if we don't need to leave immediately...
NOTE: we only know the basic creature and tiles composition for a Scenario at first; if we choose to pick one, I'll provide additional details (such as the map layout, creatures stat cards - and ability deck if we've met them before - and always active Scenario Effects).

Available Scenario Locations posted:

- We've found the location of the Clockwork Cove in a treasure chest in Scenario 1. As the name implies, we would face constructs, traps and puzzles. This is a Side Scenario. This is what we can expect from the Scenario:

- Snooping around in the pile of scrolls that Jekserah has sent us to recover, we've discovered the location of the picturesque Crypt of the Damned. If we want to learn more about this so called "Gloom", we'll have to face a bunch of Cultist, Undead and Elemental Demons!

- We may want to investigate these sightings of a Dragon-like creature on the ridges west of the City and explore the Mountain Pass. If we do so, we'll run into some kind of Elemental Demons and kill some more Inox.

- Can't have a game without a sewer level and Gloomhaven does't deviate from that rule! If we decide to explored the Abandoned Sewers underneath Gloomhaven, we'll run into a lot of "water" (sure) and we'll fight Oozes and other horrible things. Purple colored tiles are considered Difficult Terrain, and moving through each hex of it without Jumping or Flying will cost 2 Movement points instead of one.

- The coin we've got as a payment from the Savvas merchant shows the way to something called The Temple of the Eclipse. Plenty of weird stuff over there, for sure! Also it is a BOSS scenario, so if we manage to complete that successfully Rocky will be satisfied with its adventures and retire, spending its days drinking rock based cocktails and chasing young lads away from his ornamental zen garden or something. This is a Side Scenario.

- As suggested, we could also try any Scenario we've unlocked (including ones we've already faced) in Casual Mode. Players can still gain experience and money, loot treasure tiles, complete battle goals, and make progress toward completing their personal quests (for example, Rocky could retire if we face a BOSS Scenario in Casual mode and we win), but any story text or rewards listed at the end of the scenario are disregarded. Contrary to normal game play, we'll encounter City/Road events in Casual mode as well - to make things easier to manage and display more content. If we pick Casual Mode I'll add something to spice it up - most likely we'll get to see some of the other unlocked characters for a "Rocky and Friends VS an old Boss" adventure.
Wherever we're going, we'll have to get on the Road to get there!

Road Event 8 posted:

Do we pay the reasonable fee? Do we go all :black101: on the bandits? Do we spend all our cash and pick option A? You decide!

PLEASE KEEP VOTING FOR THE FOLLOWING THINGS (and please remember to bold your choices:
- MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario 11!
- Bullwinkle's new PERK.
- Money matters: do we want to buy something with anyone?
- Our Next Destination.
- Road Event outcome (option A or B).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 10, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Crypt of the Damned- time to advance the plot

Road event: B

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Road event B.

Do we want to retire Rocky? Temple of the eclipse is an interesting choice since it's a boss scenario.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Slaan posted:

Seconding this.

gently caress 81.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Reik posted:

Road event B.

Do we want to retire Rocky? Temple of the eclipse is an interesting choice since it's a boss scenario.

I say we do. Not only is unlocking characters fun, we'll also go up a prosperity level and get access to new items thanks to the retirement. Also we unlock my favorite class.
Road event B.
The Temple of the Eclipse

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 10, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Quick other thing: every 5 donations gets us a tick closer to the next prosperity level, not a full prosperity level.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Quick other thing: every 5 donations gets us a tick closer to the next prosperity level, not a full prosperity level.

Yeah that was a typo; should have been "it'll increase the prosperity tracker by 1 point" instead of "it'll increase the prosperity by 1 point" :v:

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

Slaan posted:

Slaan has the right idea!

Also, having caught up with the thread I'd like to sign up to join our merry band of Undead-adjacent Mercs.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Kafila posted:

Also, having caught up with the thread I'd like to sign up to join our merry band of Undead-adjacent Mercs.

Welcome aboard! Also PMs for our active players are out!

EDIT: one of our players has asked me to postpone 1 turn, so I'm sending out an email to archduke.iago as a sub :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 10, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

We'll take some damage, but screw these thieves. Option B

Crypt of the Damned

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Don't rush to retire Rocky before he gets really awesome!

Besides that, to hell with Scenario 81.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm down with postponing retirement until we unlock enhancements so Rocky has something to spend his leftover gold on, just wanted to throw the idea out there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

dwarf74 posted:

Don't rush to retire Rocky before he gets really awesome!

Besides that, to hell with Scenario 81.

Ditto both of these. It's criminal to discard Rocky before he gets to level 4 or so and gets to play around with the full Tower Defense Mode engine. And scenario 81 can go gently caress itself.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Is retiring an absolutely unchangeable core mechanic or could we just "not" and build up our stable of party members to rotate in and out on a per-mission basis? Still capped at 3? Since we can still use retired characters in Casual mode, and take rewards from Casual mode over to the main scenario (?), would that really be such a big change?

I'm just thinking out loud here, I don't know the later stages of the game obviously.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Is retiring an absolutely unchangeable core mechanic or could we just "not" and build up our stable of party members to rotate in and out on a per-mission basis? Still capped at 3? Since we can still use retired characters in Casual mode, and take rewards from Casual mode over to the main scenario (?), would that really be such a big change?

There's nothing stopping you having a large stable of characters of which only a few go on a scenario.

Once a character retires they are gone forever; you can't use them in casual mode. You can start a new character of the same class though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, you can just make a new character of the same class, with a (cumulative) extra Perk and a starting level equal to the city's current Prosperity. Honestly it wouldn't even lose us any experience because retiring a character grants +1 Prosperity tick which would mean Prosperity 3.

Still gently caress scenario 81 though.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The real issue seems to be what our replacement Cragheart's name would be. I'd have suggested 'Bullwinkle', but, well...

Also, while I've been lurking the entire thread, I figured now would be a good time to pop in and thank That Italian Guy for being nutty enough to do this for us. So, uh, thanks TIG, for being nutty enough to run this for us! (Especially because the computer game version looks like it's NOT going to be a computer board game version of the regular board game, despite this being one of the few games where I'd be 100% for that idea.) This game is rad as hell, and I'm deeply glad to get a chance to experience it, even if only secondhand.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

vdate posted:

The real issue seems to be what our replacement Cragheart's name would be. I'd have suggested 'Bullwinkle', but, well...

Also, while I've been lurking the entire thread, I figured now would be a good time to pop in and thank That Italian Guy for being nutty enough to do this for us. So, uh, thanks TIG, for being nutty enough to run this for us! (Especially because the computer game version looks like it's NOT going to be a computer board game version of the regular board game, despite this being one of the few games where I'd be 100% for that idea.) This game is rad as hell, and I'm deeply glad to get a chance to experience it, even if only secondhand.

Ahah, thanks!

And, have I missed something? Last time I had checked, the videogame version seemed quite close to the real deal? The only altered mechanic I've noticed was related to Short Rests being declared at the start of the Round - like Long Rest - forcing you to lose a card before picking the 2 you would play that round. They have even announced an online coop mode, with a "master game" and the characters being handed out from the host to the other players, so that you could even play a "drop in / drop off" campaign with whoever is available, similarly to the boardgame irl.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

vdate posted:

Obviously the replacement should be named Rocky II.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Pocky

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dwayne. :colbert:

Also, you guys are all crazy, scenario 81 is a super cool scenario.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Obviously, we are the evil party so the new cragheart would be Drago

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I do think retiring asap isn't a terrible idea for a LP that will most likely take years to get through all of the content in the box.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm just thinking out loud here, I don't know the later stages of the game obviously.

Retiring is a core mechanic, but as people have said there would be nothing stopping us from starting up another Cragheart immediately afterwards.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Ahah, thanks!

And, have I missed something? Last time I had checked, the videogame version seemed quite close to the real deal? The only altered mechanic I've noticed was related to Short Rests being declared at the start of the Round - like Long Rest - forcing you to lose a card before picking the 2 you would play that round. They have even announced an online coop mode, with a "master game" and the characters being handed out from the host to the other players, so that you could even play a "drop in / drop off" campaign with whoever is available, similarly to the boardgame irl.

Huh! For some reason I had gotten the impression from somewhere that it was going to be a single-player dungeon-crawling-thing using the same mechanics but not the GH campaign structure. I may have been misinformed! If that is the case, I return once again to the GH Videogame Hype Train. (Skimming the available material on the steam page suggests that you're correct and whatever source I pulled my mistaken impression from was full of poo poo, so yeah, all aboard and all that.)

(edit: source link for this info being this post on the placeholder Steam page for GHPC, while the (mistaken?) first impression came from this link.)

vdate fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 11, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Check your PMs Elephant Ambush ;)

Also I've got no answer from archduke.iago so far, so I'll reach out to Zurai next to sub in :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

City Management V, Update 2 and Scenario 4 Preamble

MVP and Finance outcome posted:

- MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario 9: Rocky (piloted by Phelddagrif) leads by a single measure over Bullwinkle! :agesilaus:
- We're not going to buy/sell anything else!

Road Event 8, resolution posted:

Effect: all start Scenario with 3 damage!
We've propped out an undead powered plutocracy and now we're murdering starving poors! All in a day's work. Alternative outcome chat: if we had given them money, this event would have gone to the bottom of the deck instead of being discarded, meaning that, eventually, we would have ran into these bandits again.

Bullwinkle's perk posted:

- With a large lead, Bullwinkle will remove a -1mod and add a +1mod to his attack modifiers deck!
Let's examine our next destination: Scenario 4 - Crypt of the Damned

Scenario 4 - Crypt of the Damned - Location posted:

A bit north of Gloomhaven, along the Still River, lays the Crypt we're read about on the necromantic scrolls Jekserah had asked us to recover in Scenario 1&2.

Isn't this picturesque?

Scenario 4 - Crypt of the Damned - Features posted:

These are the details we know about Scenario 4 before starting it:
Links to: nothing!
Requirements: None!
Goal: Kill all enemies.
Tiles in the Scenario:

Map Layout:

Scenario 4 - Crypt of the Damned - Creatures posted:

These are the stats for this Scenario's creatures:

These are the ability decks for the creatures we've already faced in battle before.
NOTE: these are the "in the box" cards. We normally use the app ones, that automatically make the necessary calculations for us; the various "+1", "-1", etc are to be applied to the base value for that stat on the monster card. So if the base value is "Attack 4", an "Attack -1" ability card would mean that, for that round, the monster has an Attack value of 3.
Bandit Archer:

Living Bones:

NOTE: certain monster archetypes share a common deck. The combination of unique stat cards and shared ability decks allows the game to feel even larger than it already is!
Our skelebros are betraying us :( Also, we're facing quite a few new enemies in this Scenario! These Cultist seems to be whimps, but they may have some tricks up their ample sleeves. The Demons appear to be some kind of beefy bruisers (Earth) and some nimble, high SHIELD low HP skirmisher (Wind).

Scenario 4 - Crypt of the Damned - Introduction posted:

The bandit commander’s proclamations of a “Gloom” do not sit well in your stomach as you search the bend in the Still River— something here holds an interest for these maniacs.
You are somewhat surprised to find the ruins of an ancient crypt half-covered in moss and ivy. The history of this place is old and dark. With no other information to go on, you head down into the depths. Whatever these supposed bandits are up to, you’re determined to fnd out, even after you stumble across a large group of them and more animated dead at the bottom of the stairs.
“You’ve made a mistake coming here,” one of the bandits hisses. You disagree. You are right where you want to be. :black101:
Scenario Special Rules
- None!

Players spawn tiles are marked with a STRENGTHEN token.

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for the active players to respond to their PMs before proceeding, so stay tuned! If everyones come back and replies in a timely fashion, we may have a regular update tomorrow.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Got confirmation from all 3 players, sending out BG selection now :)

E: PMs are out! Please let me know if you need an extension since they have been sent out with some delay.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 11, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Hi, I'm your new Brute! *curtsies*

I'm gonna murder cultists SO HARD. I hate those assholes.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Well, 'start with three damage' made this starting room look a great deal scarier than it otherwise might have - if the Elite Bones pull their 'focus fire' card things might go south in a hurry.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

As the Mindthief, I'm going to hide behind you guys for a bit and then probably go invisible.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I think we'll be fine. We just have to clear the room quickly and then rest up and heal before opening the door.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'll start on A1. I'm planning to go fast and stun something.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

As the Mindthief, I'm going to hide behind you guys for a bit and then probably go invisible.

It worked for me last game :D

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Some Numbers posted:

I'll start on A1. I'm planning to go fast and stun something.

Keep in mind the range on your stun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Phelddagrif posted:

Keep in mind the range on your stun!

Ahh crap, I forgot about that.

Okay I might not be stunning anything this turn.