Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Applewhite posted:

Has the Simpsons ever used live action footage outside of a Treehouse of Horror episode before?

The puppet thing they did with Katy Perry.

Edit:
Wait, was that a Treehouse of horror episode? I can't remember and I don't care enough to look it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Its not the first time they had a Simpsons named band in live action over the credits. Fallout Boy, the episode they were on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always annoyed me that the band is called Fall Out Boy, like "Boy who falls out" or some poo poo

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Applewhite posted:

I’ve never heard it put that way before and now I’m sad

Also, while I acknowledge that complaining about continuity in The Simpsons is like complaining about deus ex machinas in the Bible, it kinda flies in the face of all those episodes where it's made clear Bart's a bright kid when he puts his mind to it. I mean, it's a minor point in a stupid episode, but I'd rather characters--even in silly cartoons--have layers than not.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also, while I acknowledge that complaining about continuity in The Simpsons is like complaining about deus ex machinas in the Bible, it kinda flies in the face of all those episodes where it's made clear Bart's a bright kid when he puts his mind to it. I mean, it's a minor point in a stupid episode, but I'd rather characters--even in silly cartoons--have layers than not.

It also ignores the fact that Homer's half brother, from his dad, was a the CEO of a successful car company. I guess he was dumb enough to trust his newly met sibling with the future of his company, but he then became successful again after single handily inventing a revolutionary and complicated piece of electronics to communicate with babies.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

There's several episodes where Bart does put his mind to it and ends up failing anyway. The school sequence in Lisa on Ice and notably Bart gets an "F" which based an entire plot around Bart trying as hard as he can, still failing, and ending up having to be satisfied with a D-.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah but that's kind of the point. That same era had episodes showcasing that Bart was a skilled communicator and had other talents, one of his first flash forwards has him seated as a SCOTUS. He's just bad at the rote memorization and recitation of the 50s rear end classroom. Twigging a visually based puzzle while Lisa overthinks it works with the established characterization of the time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Simpsons was supposed to be a satire of 80's sitcom tropes, but it also ended up repeating many of them - lovable buffoon dad who exists as comic relief (often by getting seriously hurt), punk kid with a heart of gold, slightly anachronistic typical housewife mom, etc. I guess Lisa is the most original character, in a way, I don't know if there was a lot of precedent for her.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
also shes poly now so thats pretty original

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Irradiation posted:

It also ignores the fact that Homer's half brother, from his dad, was a the CEO of a successful car company. I guess he was dumb enough to trust his newly met sibling with the future of his company, but he then became successful again after single handily inventing a revolutionary and complicated piece of electronics to communicate with babies.

Also, apparently this thing kicks in when you're a preteen, so getting to your mid-40s without a major fuckup seems a bit unlikely if you've got bad episode alzheimers.

Phlegmish posted:

The Simpsons was supposed to be a satire of 80's sitcom tropes, but it also ended up repeating many of them - lovable buffoon dad who exists as comic relief (often by getting seriously hurt), punk kid with a heart of gold, slightly anachronistic typical housewife mom, etc. I guess Lisa is the most original character, in a way, I don't know if there was a lot of precedent for her.

Archie Bunker's more liberal kids, maybe? Although Homer and Marge are less conservative than they are happily ignorant and fussy respectively.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

that is easily the hardest i've laughed at anything aired on the simspons for like at least 15 years now

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Data Graham posted:

Always annoyed me that the band is called Fall Out Boy, like "Boy who falls out" or some poo poo

Their original name was going to be Up and At Them Boy :eng101:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Does that footage of NSync from the boy band episode count?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

According to the band itself, they didn’t know they were naming themselves after Fallout Boy. Allegedly a fan of theirs suggested the name and, not being familiar with the episode, they believed it was original.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Applewhite posted:

According to the band itself, they didn’t know they were naming themselves after Fallout Boy. Allegedly a fan of theirs suggested the name and, not being familiar with the episode, they believed it was original.

What were they called before the fan suggested they change their name?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
^^^ ugh

And yeah, I really like those moments where Bart and Lisa get some blending of their characterization, so they're not just exhibiting their core character traits over and over all the time. Plus Yeardley and Nancy were (once upon a time) really good at matching the vocals to make the turn seem totally genuine.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hottubrhymemachine posted:

What were they called before the fan suggested they change their name?

Dunno :shrug:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Applewhite posted:

I have to admit that it's only now that I realize the name is a Simpsons reference

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Irradiation posted:

It's the Lisa Episode of Lisa Episodes, not letting anything get in the way of its non-message.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emgeejay posted:

Amram has script credit on some of the best episodes of notable funny show The Good Place

i dont understand any of those words

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The Simpsons are at a Little League Baseball game and Bart catches a fly ball, pushing the Springfield Isotots into the championships. The next day, Marge is shopping at a department store, but Homer is tired and cannot find a place to sit, so he lies down on a mattress and falls asleep. When he wakes up, everybody is staring at him, so he exclaims his love for the mattress and manages to sell five. The store manager hires him as a mattress salesman.

Springfield is playing Shelbyville in the championship and leading 5-2 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, but Shelbyville has the bases loaded. When their batter hits a pop up towards Bart, he drops the ball and repeatedly fails to pick it up, letting all four runners score, giving Shelbyville the 6-5 victory. The crowd turns against Bart, who flees the stadium. Chief Wiggum offers him a ride to safety, but drives him back inside the stadium to let people throw food at him. Bart is humiliated and becomes the town's outcast.

At Homer's new job, the Lovejoys approach him with a sex problem, so Homer sells them a new mattress. The Lovejoys buy it, but bring it to the Simpsons house the next day with their problem unresolved. As Homer writes them a refund check, they begin making out on his and Marge's mattress, and trade their new mattress for it. That night, when Homer and Marge are unsuccessfully trying to have sex, Homer admits he traded their mattress.

Homer and Marge sneak in to the Lovejoys' home to steal back their mattress, but have sex on it until the Lovejoys return and catch them. Reverend Lovejoy solves the problem Solomon-style by cutting the mattress in half diagonally and gives one half to Homer and Marge. On the way Homer convinces Marge to drive behind a billboard where they have sex as they did on their honeymoon with the same bum watching them.

Bart's humiliation goes on as Bill and Marty tell everyone on the radio, and Jimbo, Dolph and Kearney sing a song about it called Bart Stinks, while the townspeople continue to mock and boo Bart. Lisa tries to cheer him up by taking him to see an old baseball star (Joe La Boot) who dropped a fly ball in the 1943 World Series but still grew up to be rich and famous, but after La Boot learns who Bart is, he makes everybody in the building boo him, making him cry. The next morning Lisa awakes to find a deranged Bart has spray-painted "I HATE BART SIMPSON" all over the town—including a water tower. As Bart hovers by the edge, he jumps. A shocked La Boot tries to catch him, but misses, and Bart is knocked unconscious.

He survives and is treated by Dr. Hibbert at a hospital. When the angry townspeople outside chant "Bart sucks!" over and over, Marge, who has had enough of Bart being treated so horribly, lambastes them for their actions. The entire town quickly apologizes to Bart and agree to do the game over. After 78 tries, Bart catches the ball, winning the game.

60 years later, a 70-year-old Milhouse nearly lets it slip to a 70-year-old Bart that the game was faked. Bart cries again, and the ghosts of Homer and Marge watch him taunt Milhouse.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

CodfishCartographer posted:

simpsons episode

Yeah i remember that one now with whats followed since its later season gold.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

It's the Lisa Episode of Lisa Episodes, not letting anything get in the way of its non-message.

I suspect if we ever figure out what that message was meant to be, we will achieve a sort of anti-enlightenment, where we might be able to guess the truth by remembering everything we know is wrong. It's delivered like a message, but I can't figure out what it's meant to be.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a joke about how the Simpson men (and maybe sitcom men in general?) are dumb.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I suspect if we ever figure out what that message was meant to be, we will achieve a sort of anti-enlightenment, where we might be able to guess the truth by remembering everything we know is wrong. It's delivered like a message, but I can't figure out what it's meant to be.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ended up on A Star is Burns (The Jay Sherman crossover episode), and I haven't seen another Golden Era episode that rides the fence this hard in terms of Simpsons quality. While it has Rods to the Hogshead, That's the Joke, Wiggum stuck in the hot dog rollers, Man Getting Hit By Football, Barney's Movie, and Boo-urns, but there are many other jokes ahead of their time in how "meh" they are. There are forced cutaway gags when that wasn't really a Simpsons thing unless they were dreamed or imagined by characters. There are pop culture references where the reference is the entire joke (Hibbert's Rocky Horror bit as just one example). Some jokes are just really awkward one-offs like Kent Brockman surviving getting covered in cement in a locker room party and Principal Skinner getting burned at the stake. Lots of forced monkeycheese lines. But even some of the forced jokes could even get a chuckle out of me because the dialogue and comic timing are way better than late Simpsons stuff. There's also a sub-plot where Jay Sherman pisses off Wolfcastle by making fun of his movie, resulting in Wolfcastle trying to kill him, which you might recognize as the main plot of The Critic's pilot episode (where Wolfcastle is replaced by a Van Damme-alike).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Ended up on A Star is Burns (The Jay Sherman crossover episode), and I haven't seen another Golden Era episode that rides the fence this hard in terms of Simpsons quality. While it has Rods to the Hogshead, That's the Joke, Wiggum stuck in the hot dog rollers, Man Getting Hit By Football, Barney's Movie, and Boo-urns, but there are many other jokes ahead of their time in how "meh" they are. There are forced cutaway gags when that wasn't really a Simpsons thing unless they were dreamed or imagined by characters. There are pop culture references where the reference is the entire joke (Hibbert's Rocky Horror bit as just one example). Some jokes are just really awkward one-offs like Kent Brockman surviving getting covered in cement in a locker room party and Principal Skinner getting burned at the stake. Lots of forced monkeycheese lines. But even some of the forced jokes could even get a chuckle out of me because the dialogue and comic timing are way better than late Simpsons stuff. There's also a sub-plot where Jay Sherman pisses off Wolfcastle by making fun of his movie, resulting in Wolfcastle trying to kill him, which you might recognize as the main plot of The Critic's pilot episode (where Wolfcastle is replaced by a Van Damme-alike).

Barney's movie about drinking outweighs any negative aspects about that ep. Also I think Matt Groening hated this episode and took his name off of it? lol

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I don't think it's overall bad, and there are actually some genuinely overall negative Golden Era episodes, it just really rides the fence like I said.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Last Chance posted:

Barney's movie about drinking outweighs any negative aspects about that ep. Also I think Matt Groening hated this episode and took his name off of it? lol

Groening was just pissed cause it was a crossover episode. James L Brooks thought it would be a nice thing to do because Al Jean and Mike Reiss were the creators of the Critic, and everyone else on the Simpsons agreed, but Groening got really upset for some reason. Pretty much everyone involved has said it was a dick move on Groening's behalf.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Last Chance posted:

Barney's movie abut drinking outweighs any negative aspects about that episode, but football in the groin had a football in the groin

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Man Getting Hit by Football is the best movie ever made

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

sweet geek swag posted:

Groening was just pissed cause it was a crossover episode. James L Brooks thought it would be a nice thing to do because Al Jean and Mike Reiss were the creators of the Critic, and everyone else on the Simpsons agreed, but Groening got really upset for some reason. Pretty much everyone involved has said it was a dick move on Groening's behalf.

Everything I know about groening paints him as a petty little bitch

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Man Getting Hit by Football is the best movie ever made

I prefer the remake.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Groening and Dan Harmon should team up and do a show together.

They can call it “Hostile Work Environment.”

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Calaveron posted:

Get outta my office.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Plan Z posted:

Ended up on A Star is Burns (The Jay Sherman crossover episode), and I haven't seen another Golden Era episode that rides the fence this hard in terms of Simpsons quality.

This one was actually produced by Al Jean and Mike Reiss as some sort of compromise package to use The Critic team to take the load off The Simpsons staff. Under that arrangement, they also produced "Round Springfield" that season, which is the one where Bleeding Gums Murphy dies that is also not a well-loved episode.

What I'm saying is you're seeing a portent of what's to come from the Jean and Reiss combo that will eventually tank the show.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Has anyone ever had the guts to try and watch Teen Angel?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Applewhite posted:

They can call it “Hostile Work Environment.”

Now I'm wondering if there was some point in the 90s where Simpsons fans were like the worst Rick and Morty fans.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Plan Z posted:

Has anyone ever had the guts to try and watch Teen Angel?

I watched it when it originally aired and I was a pre-teen, I think it had the old guy from Coach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Eh! Frank posted:

I watched it when it originally aired and I was a pre-teen, I think it had the old guy from Coach?
OH poo poo the TGIF show?
lmao

yeah I watched that poo poo too I must have been like 8 or 9

Sabrina the Teenage Witch had taken off the previous season and they went all in on magic with that and a show about a genie
the premise was the one kid dies from eating an old burger and becomes the guardian angel for the other kid

the only episodes I remember was, the teen angel learned he could time travel, so he traveled back in time to stop himself from eating the burger, but then the other kid ate it and became an angel, but it didn't stop the original teen angel being an angel for some reason, and the two of them traveled back again to stop them both from eating it, but then Jerry Van Dyne slipped on the burger and fell out the window and died. eventually everybody in the house was murdered by the hamburger. I don't remember how it was resolved