Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1116067994814304256

these dumb teens are at the very least smarter than Glenn Greenwald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1116067994814304256

these dumb teens are at the very least smarter than Glenn Greenwald

That's not a high bar.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Z. Autobahn posted:

I think there's absolutely truth that a LOT of the Dem electorate are in fact centrists/moderates, and that's worth acknowledging; I think the breakdown is probably something like 40-60 leftists-centrists in the most optimistic case. I think in any pure heads-up race between Bernie and Establishment Candidate, Bernie loses. But that's not what's happening in 2020, and more importantly, there's significant division within centrists. Your average 60-year-old rural white boomer man and your 35-year-old-Asian-urban woman might both not support Bernie, but they also very likely support different candidates from each other. Which is where Bernie has his best in.

Oh for sure. I'm not saying Bernie can't win; I think he has a great shot and I'll do everything I can to help him. But this thread seems to, in general, assume that Biden is already toast and that Bernie has the nomination on lock, whereas I'd guess that in reality Bernie, Biden, and Harris all have a roughly 1/3 chance of winning the nomination.

But a Bernie win would be one hell of a pyrrhic victory if swing district democrats won't forcefully embrace poo poo like M4A. And honestly I'm not sure what the best way to persuade those people is. If you primary moderate reps in swing districts you lose the house/senate. Realistically, my best guess is that in an ideal scenario Bernie would have a shot at passing one marquee leftist program, probably M4A, which would burn all his political capital. There's this fantasy here that if we just beat up on centrists enough and drive them away then we'll get M4A and the GND and pack the courts and abolish the electoral college and... I mean, I'd like to be wrong but I'd bet you all the money I ever have had or will have that at most one of those things is happening during the term of the next president, even if it's Bernie.

And, though this isn't a reason to not pursue those policies, if we could get all of that done in a term, somehow, the backlash would almost certainly sweep republicans back into power in 2022/2024 -- and y'all will probably regret abolishing the filibuster while republicans add 20 Scalia clones to the court.

A lotta extremely online leftists are just absurdly manichean about politics. There's not going to be some great battle where progressives vanquish moderates and conservatives once and for all and usher in a utopia. There's no realistic way to seize power and hold it indefinitely when the electorate is so fickle. The activist left is, at best, like 10% of the population. The change that people here, myself included, want to bring about is going to be the result of a long bitter fight that will play out over decades, with tides of backlash from a country that will view major parts of a progressive agenda as overreach.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

YaketySass posted:

Beto is less excited at the prospect of winning the presidency than about the daydream that there might be a movie made about his life some day.

Thank you pod save america

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol Pete butt knows the languages of people he wants to violently invade and murder

Beto stands on stuff and acts like a total bro

quality stuff Democratic Party keep it up
Ughhh

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

Lol Pete butt knows the languages of people he wants to violently invade and murder

Ughhh

Hey now.

Norway isn't one of the many, many, many countries that Mayor Pete wants to invade and ransack.

Don't you feel foolish now?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Hey now.

Norway isn't one of the many, many, many countries that Mayor Pete wants to invade and ransack.

I am undone

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wicked Them Beats posted:

When a Senator looks in a mirror they see a future president looking back at them, and at this point that also applies to reality TV stars and no-name House reps so don't expect any of these people to actually drop before they're out of money. Their egos won't allow it.

Honestly, you don't even have to allot very much of the decision to stay in to ego. Given the size of the field, proportional allocation of delegates, and a decent chance things are still close going into the convention, staying in as long as you can is the best strategic move you could make as well. Even if you aren't going to be the nominee or runner up, if you have any delegates then you are more likely to have a real say in the convention than probably any other convention since 1968.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This is what you get when centrists spend decades marginalizing opposition to war as something that only "hippies" do and Very Serious People™ should all just accept war as a fact of life. Its not pretty.

this is a good point, one i rarely see stated so succinctly

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Gyges posted:

Honestly, you don't even have to allot very much of the decision to stay in to ego. Given the size of the field, proportional allocation of delegates, and a decent chance things are still close going into the convention, staying in as long as you can is the best strategic move you could make as well. Even if you aren't going to be the nominee or runner up, if you have any delegates then you are more likely to have a real say in the convention than probably any other convention since 1968.

Given the 15% threshold, very few of them will have delegates

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Majorian posted:

Hey now.

norway has a bunch of oil :patriot:

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

Ughhh

Pete also speaks English, so I am actually conflicted since ransacking England is one of my pet issues.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grammarchist posted:

Pete also speaks English, so I am actually conflicted since ransacking England is one of my pet issues.

What do you think Brexit is for?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What do you think Brexit is for?

Fair point.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gnumonic posted:

Oh for sure. I'm not saying Bernie can't win; I think he has a great shot and I'll do everything I can to help him. But this thread seems to, in general, assume that Biden is already toast and that Bernie has the nomination on lock, whereas I'd guess that in reality Bernie, Biden, and Harris all have a roughly 1/3 chance of winning the nomination.

But a Bernie win would be one hell of a pyrrhic victory if swing district democrats won't forcefully embrace poo poo like M4A. And honestly I'm not sure what the best way to persuade those people is. If you primary moderate reps in swing districts you lose the house/senate. Realistically, my best guess is that in an ideal scenario Bernie would have a shot at passing one marquee leftist program, probably M4A, which would burn all his political capital. There's this fantasy here that if we just beat up on centrists enough and drive them away then we'll get M4A and the GND and pack the courts and abolish the electoral college and... I mean, I'd like to be wrong but I'd bet you all the money I ever have had or will have that at most one of those things is happening during the term of the next president, even if it's Bernie.

And, though this isn't a reason to not pursue those policies, if we could get all of that done in a term, somehow, the backlash would almost certainly sweep republicans back into power in 2022/2024 -- and y'all will probably regret abolishing the filibuster while republicans add 20 Scalia clones to the court.

A lotta extremely online leftists are just absurdly manichean about politics. There's not going to be some great battle where progressives vanquish moderates and conservatives once and for all and usher in a utopia. There's no realistic way to seize power and hold it indefinitely when the electorate is so fickle. The activist left is, at best, like 10% of the population. The change that people here, myself included, want to bring about is going to be the result of a long bitter fight that will play out over decades, with tides of backlash from a country that will view major parts of a progressive agenda as overreach.

It's pretty impressive that you managed to phrase "most Americans hate affordable healthcare and higher wages, and what they actually want is tax cuts for billionaires and subsidies for big business" so many different ways.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

When you get down to it, I don't think anyone expects Bernie to fix even half of what he knows needs fixing, not even in two terms -
Not for lack of effort, but as we've pointed out amongst ourselves plenty of times, it's going to take awhile to drag the Overton Window kicking and screaming back to the Left far enough that Good Things stop being regarded as impossible pipe dreams.

What Bernie represents is simply the biggest step we can take with the options we have. Let him help us take that big step Left and lay the groundwork for normalizing worker's rights and lgbtq+ rights and solving climate issues so that AOC and future politicians like her can be seen as the Good Guys and not as fringe lunatics who want to arrest you for eating hamburgers.

It's like the dude at the end of Idiocracy. He didn't solve all of the problems, but he got the ball rolling back in the right direction.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gnumonic posted:

this is assuming the very specific failures of the obama administration automatically apply to a hypothetical sanders admin

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Eh, that slogan would be fine if he was actually going to go big and be bold. It's that he won't is the problem.

If that was Bernie's slogan it would be fine.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

I see that I missed truther chat.

My take is that he’s never going to be president and I don’t actually want him to be president but I do want him on that stage to rip into Biden so him being a truther isn’t very relevant to that. If Bernie was a truther this would be a very different calculus imo.

I mostly just find it super weird that somebody can be a truther while also being so keenly aware of the colonial war machine.

Like, if you know anything at all about US foreign policy you know that you don't need to kill thousands of your own citizens to do a regime change. You just kind of do it and tell people it's because the president was a super bad dictator. At worst maybe you have the CIA fund some terrorist groups to stir poo poo up so you can claim the resulting violence and arrests are signs of a tyrant oppressing his people. It's literally that easy because for the most part the American public doesn't know what happens outside of the US and most of those that do don't care as long as the dead aren't white.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

readingatwork posted:

I mostly just find it super weird that somebody can be a truther while also being so keenly aware of the colonial war machine.

Like, if you know anything at all about US foreign policy you know that you don't need to kill thousands of your own citizens to do a regime change. You just kind of do it and tell people it's because the president was a super bad dictator. At worst maybe you have the CIA fund some terrorist groups to stir poo poo up so you can claim the resulting violence and arrests are signs of a tyrant oppressing his people. It's literally that easy because for the most part the American public doesn't know what happens outside of the US and most of those that do don't care as long as the dead aren't white.

Conspiratorial logic never makes sense, it's usually a coping mechanism for when one feels the world somehow fundamentally has stopped making sense, in order to force it back into rightness.

Unrelated but relevant to the thread:

https://twitter.com/dorothy4house/s...genumber%3D1868

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

readingatwork posted:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days

Will Saddam be killed? Yes

Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead

Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead

Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead

Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No

Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No

Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes

Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes

Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No

-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes

Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No

Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes

Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes

Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes

How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years

Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No

In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I'm geninely disappointed that buttplug instead of yang is gonna be the exciting new candidate

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Z. Autobahn posted:

Given the 15% threshold, very few of them will have delegates

Yes, but winning 15% is a way easier goal than actually winning a primary.

It is totally possible that the size of the field does make it harder than normal to reach 15% though. There's a decent shot that a lot of states become defacto winner take all.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Typo posted:

I'm geninely disappointed that buttplug instead of yang is gonna be the exciting new candidate

Do not despair, friend - Ron Paul didn't have to get mainstream media coverage to tell people to KILL YOU'RE PARENTS, and neither will Yang.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gnumonic posted:

"If we implement a lot of extremely popular poo poo there will be horrible backlash and then you'll be sorry" - the pragmatic adult in the room.

There is no time for a "long bitter fight" because climate death will claim us all unless we get poo poo done right now.

Also the judicial filibuster for SCOTUS nominees was already abolished by the GOP two years ago.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Not to be "that guy" but it is entirely possible that the kind of left-wing reforms we need will take decades to normalize because America has been so ideologically trained to distrust them AND that we simply don't have that long. It's just a question of whether you think trying to do the right thing has value, even if you know going in you're likely to fail.

Personally, I sympathize with the scientists who emphasize that even if we blow past the benchmarks set for climate catastrophe, it's STILL important to keep trying rein it in because those who come after us deserve whatever chance we can yet give them.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/kyletblaine/status/1116327216835641344

Honestly, it’s an improvement over CNN’s usual programming.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hell yes, unironically stoked, let's have a million town halls. This primary's never gonna end and I am here for it!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/568056615355740160

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That sounds like hell outside of Warren/Sanders

Klobuchar has been extremely quiet lately but there are also 10,000 other candidates in the race so maybe it’s just me

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

New poll of Wisconsin, and though I'm not sure I think this is Warren's best showing so far

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 11, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Klobuchar has been extremely quiet lately but there are also 10,000 other candidates in the race so maybe it’s just me

Her base is largely 'I wanted Hillary 2.0 but I'm too racist to vote for Harris' so she doesn't really have much room to go anywhere

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I thought her finance director quit because she refused to take big donor money?

Yes and her fundraising strategy depends on building a movement extremely fast which makes his job extremely hard, possibly impossible if she just does okay instead of reaching bernie/harris/biden tier given her huge initial investment in staff. Basically he would have had to build the plane while it was barreling down the runway.

Edit: I was racking my brain for other candidates that had extremely high burn rates and remembered the most recent one, although it was a slightly different environment. It didn’t end well.

https://twitter.com/mgsreference/status/1116062740731310080?s=21

Zikan fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 11, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

fool_of_sound posted:

Her base is largely 'I wanted Hillary 2.0 but I'm too racist to vote for Harris' so she doesn't really have much room to go anywhere

Don't forget the "it is acceptable, even desirable to abuse your staff" constituency.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

overmind2000 posted:

New poll of Wisconsin, and though I'm not sure I think this is Warren's best showing so far

too bad by the time WI comes around Warren will probably be too gone for it to help her

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

fool_of_sound posted:

King of Solomon posted:

Don't forget the "it is acceptable, even desirable to abuse your staff" constituency.

Don't forget some:derp:ELECTABILITY:derp:weirdoes obsessing over swing states, though it's possible they're just a cover for the former two groups.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

Don't forget some:derp:ELECTABILITY:derp:weirdoes obsessing over swing states, though it's possible they're just a cover for the former two groups.

"She's from Minnesota, so she'll definitely win Wisconsin and Michigan! All those Midwest states are pretty much the same, right?"

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Gillibrand was standing next to Bernie when he made his latest M4A announcement. What could that mean? Would she back Bernie if she drops out? Maybe she wants to be his Secretary of Defense.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DaveWoo posted:

"She's from Minnesota, so she'll definitely win Wisconsin and Michigan! All those Midwest states are pretty much the same, right?"

I mean to be fair, Minnesota and Wisconsin are really similar. The biggest difference is that Wisconsin is full of alcoholics.

Well, that and the damage the Walker governorship did.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Probably the Gulf of Tonkin, which the government didn't admit was lied about until 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

That's not a high bar.

A low bar that Glenn Greenwald smacks his head on every time he walks on to Tucker's set.

overmind2000 posted:

Those are great numbers for Bernie. I am starting to have some hope and I am not comfortable with it.