Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Hattie Masters posted:

Just started Curse of Strahd.

Got to Vallaki, fished a lil vistani girl out of the lake after i saw her being thrown in because A) what the gently caress and B) goddamnit she'd scare away the fish.

However, small question: What is the best way to avoid a party member getting hold of any money? Player is a bit of an utter fuckwit and insists on frittering away all money they get on useless poo poo or just straight up yeeting it somewhere we can't get it (metaphorically speaking). This is infuriating because if they aren't going to use it the rest of us might want to.

So yeah how do you deal with a stupid player doing stupid stuff that isn't worth a proper sit down talk?

To be honest there isnt a lot of stuff to buy in Curse of Strahd anyway outside of very basic adventure items and you will get a lot more gold then you need for those. Just let him piss it away right up until he needs some and then dont lend him any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Pretend to roll dice and crunch numbers until the wizard uses fireball and instantly ends the mass combat.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The WebDM guys did a video literally today on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhvUlyV3uGQ and one of their suggestions is what I'd put forward. The warfare rules from Strongholds & Followers. The Warfare Rules themselves are open license and are fairly easy to find.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arthil posted:

The WebDM guys did a video literally today on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhvUlyV3uGQ and one of their suggestions is what I'd put forward. The warfare rules from Strongholds & Followers. The Warfare Rules themselves are open license and are fairly easy to find.

I wouldnt introduce an entirely new subsystem for one encounter to be honest, regardless of if the rules are really good or bad.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

kingcom posted:

I wouldnt introduce an entirely new subsystem for one encounter to be honest, regardless of if the rules are really good or bad.

I dunno, special encounters can be perfect opportunities for using novel subsystems - particularly if they are too complicated to use regularly.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I was going to suggest creating a custom swarm monster, and then I looked it up and there are no longer any specific rules for swarms so just ignore me

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

doctor 7 posted:

For my campaigns I specify that I don't want to have to deal with petty inner-party squabbles (someone picks the pocket of another party member for some loose change)

One of my favorite things I did in pickup games was to have a rogue with ridiculously high thievery. Then, when opening a chest or checking a body, roll thievery. Everyone usually immediately rolls to see it, and no one has succeeded yet.

At which point, I sneak little bits of gold or a gem into the chest or onto the body, so that someone else can get a lucky find. Congrats! You found this neat gem! You're great at this adventuring stuff.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I 100% have no intention to simulate 50 dudes or anything. There are a couple actual NPCs with actual CRs that would he interesting in combat, but I also want the players to be able to impact the fight between the mobs if they want to, which means it wouldn't just be "oh and in the background the cultists and guards are fighting." They should be some kind entity(ies). If I make each mob one stat block, it'll have to be a theater of the mind combat, which is maybe for the best. Either way, it looks like I need to do more ground work than I initially hoped.

But now I am at least going to make sure not to clog up the initiative order with too many boring NPCs.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 11, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Any advice on the best rules to use for a mass combat situation involving ~25 low-CR NPCs on each side? The mob combat rules in the DMG seemed focused on monsters ganging up on a single PC, rather than going fighting each other. The mass combat rules from UA are meant for scales way higher than this encounter. I could probably just fudge something myself, but that would be reinventing a wheel that has obviously been figured out already.

Make an attack roll. Call that A
Add 5 to the attack roll. Call that B
Subtract 5 from the attack. Call that C

If A hits, apply damage as though a third of all the creatures were had hit. That is, with 25 creatures all doing 1d6+1 damage, apply 8d6+8 damage against the target.
Do the same for B
Do the same for C

Kill off as many creatures on the defending side as the applied damage warrants.
If only B hit, and you rolled 31 for damage (8d6+8), and each defending creature had 10 HP, then the defenders lost three creatures, and a fourth took 1 damage.

The point here is that you're splitting the group into thirds as a middle-ground between rolling an attack for each and every creature, and making a single aggregate attack roll for everyone that's too swingy.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 11, 2019

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, I 100% have no intention to simulate 50 dudes or anything. There are a couple actual NPCs with actual CRs that would he interesting in combat, but I also want the players to be able to impact the fight between the mobs if they want to, which means it wouldn't just be "oh and in the background the cultists and guards are fighting." They should be some kind entity(ies). If I make each mob one stat block, it'll have to be a theater of the mind combat, which is maybe for the best. Either way, it looks like I need to do more ground work than I initially hoped.

But now I am at least going to make sure not to clog up the initiative order with too many boring NPCs.

Depends on how much of a stickler for rules your players are, but easiest way we’ve done large scale batteries without clogging things up is just start with x number of goons on each side and just roll a 20 or whatever is appropriate for pacing for each side and that’s how many die.

And if the PCs wanted to interact with the mass combat, they get to murder a cool and satisfying ammount of dudes. Wizard throws a fireball? Roll to see how many guys are crammed into the AoE. They all die. Fighter leads a charge into the crowd? Insta kill a couple dudes and they inspire the guys around them to kill an extra dice worth of people.

The few times we did it, the players happy enough with rule of cooling the number of kills but you could also do something simple like everyone has access to an Affect Battle action that kills a d6 worth of mooks with extra kills if they expend resources if your players want rules.

The one thing I tried to plan was extra stuff that happened at certain thresholds so that the outcome of the background battle actually mattered and give the PCs a reason to spend their actions on the background fight rather than punching the bosses in the face. Good guys fall to 50%? Extra CR-level baddie joins the fray, either as reinforcements coming in or one of the mooks establishing them self as an actual threat. Bad guy forces drop enough? Heroes get advantage for the next round due to their guys swarming the battlefield.

For the battle map, we just assumed that fights were going on in empty squares but that the swarm guys on both sides were too crappy to register as threats mechanically so they didn’t count as sneak attack threats and could be walked through without AOO so it didn’t matter that they didn’t actually exist on the field.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I signed up for that Reaper Bones Kickstarter 4 mini thing in 2017, it just arrived today.

Holy loving poo poo this is a lot of good figures man.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flip Yr Wig posted:

A lot of it depends on why there is a mass combat. If it's one with a bunch of easily enumerable goals assign one to each skirmish. Don't roll anything for fights the heroes aren't in. Any fight the heroes do not personally get involved in gets the "bad" result (which may just be that all the friendlies in that skirmish die and the survivors reinforce another combat). Any fight the heroes do get involved in gets a result based on their performance and how quickly they get involved. Ideally one or more of the combats has long term consequences independent of the primary conflict. Which beloved NPC will they save? Save all of them but fail the mission? Save all of them but the bad guy escapes? Etc.

If it's a climactic bad guy battle and also there's armies there do pseudodragon's.

If it's heroes vs zombies, swarm(s)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 11, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Arthil posted:

I got S&F and haven't had a chance to read it yet, really should set it aside one of these days as I have loosely planned for inclusion like a year out in my current game.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So the general gist of the Warfare rules from S&F is that, these guys are meant to be clashing while the party is fighting the 'heroes' of the opposing force. It's entirely possible for a combat to go with absolutely neither army doing any real damage to one another, particularly if it's just one big bunch of a unit type against another. I believe there's ways for players to intervene with their normal abilities, but mostly a player can on top of everything else on their turn issue an order to a nearby unit.

Basically it's built so that if the players don't -want- to interact with it, they don't have to.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Doing war stuff like dynasty warriors is always good. Ignore chaff, fight the guy with the fancy clothes and a name

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I mostly really like Strongholds and Followers, and the mass combat system works well.

However one thing that pisses me off is that one of the things you can recruit (I think it's a special follower) is an Antipaladin. But they don't give you stats for it, they just tell you to find some online.

Also the dude clearly has a massive hard-on for Dwarves seeing as how they pretty much have the best statline for mass combat stuff.

EDIT:

Remora posted:

He is aware of this and the system is supposedly set up so you can tweak races as you see fit. I haven't had the opportunity to get in and crunch it yet.

Yeah that bit wasn't meant as a criticism per se, more just a casual observation.

Hattie Masters fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 11, 2019

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Hattie Masters posted:

Also the dude clearly has a massive hard-on for Dwarves seeing as how they pretty much have the best statline for mass combat stuff.

He is aware of this and the system is supposedly set up so you can tweak races as you see fit. I haven't had the opportunity to get in and crunch it yet.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I am going to be DMing for the first time for a group with two new players, was planning to run the lost mines adventure just so we could all get our bearings. Really looking forward to it.

Just out of curiousity if anyone has any experience with that adventure, how much room does give you to insert your own material? I haven't had a chance to read through it yet since my friend has it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Meridian posted:

So I am going to be DMing for the first time for a group with two new players, was planning to run the lost mines adventure just so we could all get our bearings. Really looking forward to it.

Just out of curiousity if anyone has any experience with that adventure, how much room does give you to insert your own material? I haven't had a chance to read through it yet since my friend has it.

I mean its pretty loose at to what you actually need to do.

The critical path is -> Rescue Gundren's bodyguard -> Find castle -> rescue Gundren from that castle -> Go to Magic Cave Dungeon -> Beat Drow Wizzyboi.

Outside of that theres really not a huge lock into what you would have to do or how you go about doing it. It really depends on what you mean by inserting your own material I guess, the adventure is pretty small scale and goes from level 1-5 but theres lots of opportunity to 'go explore this other place' or 'heres a sidequest problem' for you to handle.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

kingcom posted:

I mean its pretty loose at to what you actually need to do.

The critical path is -> Rescue Gundren's bodyguard -> Find castle -> rescue Gundren from that castle -> Go to Magic Cave Dungeon -> Beat Drow Wizzyboi.

Outside of that theres really not a huge lock into what you would have to do or how you go about doing it. It really depends on what you mean by inserting your own material I guess, the adventure is pretty small scale and goes from level 1-5 but theres lots of opportunity to 'go explore this other place' or 'heres a sidequest problem' for you to handle.

Perfect, exactly what I needed to know. I don't expect the players to have fully fleshed out back stories but I was planning to ask them for some interesting fact or event related to their character so I could use them as plot hooks later.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I feel bad for my DM and how he has to be the forever DM, but god is noboody else in the group capable of DMing, least of all me. I'm completely creatively sterile.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Meridian posted:

Perfect, exactly what I needed to know. I don't expect the players to have fully fleshed out back stories but I was planning to ask them for some interesting fact or event related to their character so I could use them as plot hooks later.

Best advice would be to have your players all come up with a reason as to 'how they met Gundren and why they were willing to take up a job for him' it forces everyone to want to go save him which carries the motivation of the adventure.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I feel bad for my DM and how he has to be the forever DM, but god is noboody else in the group capable of DMing, least of all me. I'm completely creatively sterile.

I'm a forever GM :(

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 12, 2019

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm a forever GM simply because I have a long list of small criteria for what is the "ideal D&D game", and I know I'll never see them all met at once unless I'm the one running the game

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am also a never DM. I have a hard enough time not killed off my own PC every session

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I enjoy the idea of having rotating DMs and the experience of being a player, but I'm also enough of a control-freak that I quickly lose patience when a DM goes too far outside the bounds of how I would do things. Hence I've developed a bad habit of joining groups as a player and then becoming the forever DM.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
If you dont want to DM just run a pre-published module.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ceros_X posted:

If you dont want to DM just run a pre-published module.

Yeah pre-published modules are great and I very much recommend them. Even if you end up not liking the direction it takes and deciding to stray far afield, having some sort of moderately coherent structure to hang everything off of is a huge help to both the players and the DM. It lets the DM focus on developing the story and reacting to the players, and it assures the players that there actually is a path through the adventure that they can be reasonably expected to figure out, and will involve combat, treasure, and roleplaying (which is definitely not a guarantee in homemade campaigns).

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kaal posted:

Yeah pre-published modules are great and I very much recommend them. Even if you end up not liking the direction it takes and deciding to stray far afield, having some sort of moderately coherent structure to hang everything off of is a huge help to both the players and the DM.

A friend and I were considering rotating DMing, but I don't really see a way to do it without having more than one campaign running which is a lot of effort and time. Figure he'll take over on the next one.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Meridian posted:

A friend and I were considering rotating DMing, but I don't really see a way to do it without having more than one campaign running which is a lot of effort and time. Figure he'll take over on the next one.

Well you could start by having side-quest sessions, where you can join the party as a new member or an existing NPC (i.e. the bartender at their favorite tavern, or a rescued prisoner, or whatever). Maybe you know the plot already but just exempt yourself from decisions, maybe it's a new element (or just one you haven't figured out in detail yet), maybe it's based on randomized encounter tables. Just take a one-shot concept and adapt it for within your campaign.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kaal posted:

Well you could start by having side-quest sessions, where you can join the party as a new member or an existing NPC (i.e. the bartender at their favorite tavern, or a rescued prisoner, or whatever). Maybe you know the plot already but just exempt yourself from decisions, maybe it's a new element (or just one you haven't figured out in detail yet), maybe it's based on randomized encounter tables. Just take a one-shot concept and adapt it for within your campaign.

That's a great idea, I'll throw it to him.

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Meridian posted:

You could run it where instead of being a long running continuous campaign you could be an adventurer's guild that takes a lot of short term jobs and focus on one offs or 2-3 session adventures. You and your friend pick the one offs separately so you don't know whats happening when he runs and vice versa. Have a job board that the players can choose from that all end up at the adventure you prepared anyways, players love to believe they have freewill. Adorable little buggers.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Welp, just had my game go incredibly awry.

Running skt for my group. I wanted to run curse of stahd, but decided to run skt since it’s more traditional and another new player was planning to join our group. They’re mostly newbs still, so I figured something a bit broader in scope but still dungeon and treasure heavy would be better as a training tool.

The players already beat lost mines, so I had them start at Bryn Shander in the north. Events unfolded and they made their way to fireshear to learn how to ride griffins. In the book, after arriving at fireshear the town is attacked by 20 frost giants. Last week the party managed to defeat 6, causing the rest to flee to their ship. They would attack 4 hours later.

This week was mostly planning on the party’s part. I had the party divide up their actions over the course of those hours to see what they could do in that amount of time. They rolled well and came up with a very good plan to blow holes in the ship using the mining town’s dynamite supply. The artificer in the group turned it into highly volatile super dynamite, and They also used a combination of water walk and an invisibility potion to get across the ocean, which eventually caused some interesting visuals as a drowning frost giant tried to drag someone with waterwalk into the ocean.

They planted the dynamite, and successfully detonated it, dealing hundreds of damage to the ship, enough to cause it to start sinking rapidly. The team’s pet goblin Zognog died instantly after getting shot off a griffin by a giant-sized ballista and falling 100 feet onto the deck of the frost giant greatship. I rolled insanely poorly, and most of the frost giants drowned in the ensuing chaos.

The treasure chest on the ship made its way ashore, and I decided to gift the players well with a random magic item from table F. They rolled a 99 and got a bag of devouring.

The paladin of the group, thinking it was a bag of holding, decided to put his arm inside. He got sucked in, and the party failed their strength check. He was lost to eternity and faded into nothingness. However, he also had a bag of holding on him. Putting an extra dimensional space inside an extra dimensional space is a big no-no, and the entire party (who was standing close since they tried to help the paladin) were sucked into the dimensional rift simultaneously.

Not knowing what to do here, I recalled my experience with this situation. The dm just said I disappeared and had to make a new character. I thought it was funny, but was ultimately unsatisfied with that.

So, I decided to do the only other thing I could. The players woke up after some time in a weird forest, surrounded by dense fog and mysterious noises. Now they’re playing curse of strahd until they lift the curse, at which point they’ll return exactly where they were during SKT.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
My friends kind of set up a kind of.. "Nexus" world, thing. Which had different planets, and a government, and whatever. We basically made it to be a setting that's, "Hears some stuff that's loosely laid out. There's kind of an over arching plot, but not really."

It's easy to do one shots in, it's easy to take turns and try out new stuff. We check in with each other if we're going to do anything MASSIVELY huge.. but it's more of a place to try out character ideas, and take turns DMing.

It works. It can get weird, but we're all easy going.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Verisimilidude posted:

The paladin of the group, thinking it was a bag of holding, decided to put his arm inside. He got sucked in, and the party failed their strength check. He was lost to eternity and faded into nothingness. However, he also had a bag of holding on him. Putting an extra dimensional space inside an extra dimensional space is a big no-no, and the entire party (who was standing close since they tried to help the paladin) were sucked into the dimensional rift simultaneously.

So, I decided to do the only other thing I could. The players woke up after some time in a weird forest, surrounded by dense fog and mysterious noises. Now they’re playing curse of strahd until they lift the curse, at which point they’ll return exactly where they were during SKT.

All according to plan.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Verisimilidude posted:

loving nailed it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Verisimilidude posted:

Running skt for my group. I wanted to run curse of stahd, but decided to run skt since it’s more traditional and another new player was planning to join our group. They’re mostly newbs still, so I figured something a bit broader in scope but still dungeon and treasure heavy would be better as a training tool.

The players already beat lost mines, so I had them start at Bryn Shander in the north. Events unfolded and they made their way to fireshear to learn how to ride griffins. In the book, after arriving at fireshear the town is attacked by 20 frost giants. Last week the party managed to defeat 6, causing the rest to flee to their ship. They would attack 4 hours later.

This week was mostly planning on the party’s part. I had the party divide up their actions over the course of those hours to see what they could do in that amount of time. They rolled well and came up with a very good plan to blow holes in the ship using the mining town’s dynamite supply. The artificer in the group turned it into highly volatile super dynamite, and They also used a combination of water walk and an invisibility potion to get across the ocean, which eventually caused some interesting visuals as a drowning frost giant tried to drag someone with waterwalk into the ocean.

They planted the dynamite, and successfully detonated it, dealing hundreds of damage to the ship, enough to cause it to start sinking rapidly. The team’s pet goblin Zognog died instantly after getting shot off a griffin by a giant-sized ballista and falling 100 feet onto the deck of the frost giant greatship. I rolled insanely poorly, and most of the frost giants drowned in the ensuing chaos.

The treasure chest on the ship made its way ashore, and I decided to gift the players well with a random magic item from table F. They rolled a 99 and got a bag of devouring.

Not knowing what to do here, I recalled my experience with this situation. The dm just said I disappeared and had to make a new character. I thought it was funny, but was ultimately unsatisfied with that.

Haha this is ace.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

My wife is rejoining our D&D group after a 4-year hiatus and the plan introduce her warforged fighter is that it was constructed by my chaotic evil skeleton wizard, Chip. :yohoho:

We just finished tracking down and destroying an insane construct that was murdering people against its good creator's wishes. Wife tends to play characters who are anywhere from good to puppy dog-like, so we basically have a reverse of the scenario we just finished.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Verisimilidude posted:

That's basically a perfect response

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Verisimilidude posted:

This is what good GMing looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Verisimilidude posted:

This is really good