Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do the new user IDs still need to be unique? Surely not.

At least in the Japanese list, Bloodborne is listed as having a (non-serious) error. Does anywhere say what kind of error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I saw one of those Days Gone Facebook ads too and the quote was like:

Excited to play the game

- some internet dude

That sure is a way to promote a game I suppose.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dewgy posted:

:toot:

Just spotted on FB:

That uh... doesn't bode well. Three words, one you made up, about... the setting.

i feel like it will be ok. its not gonna be order 1886 bad probably. my guess is the story will be surprisingly decent as will the systems and setting but the gameplay will be only ok and they will have issues with side quests and stuff, like it will have the issues that asscreed odyssy had where there were too many main story paths and they all feel kinda meh at the end despite the good characters.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can’t remember the last time a game got me that fired up. My blood was boiling.

i genuinely like how the game plays and toys with your wants. at first you want to gently caress up all the various Pinkertons and barons and such But then you get further and further in the game and realize how dangerous revenge can be and how all your doing is drawing more and more heat on your group.

homeless snail posted:

Here comes the "shenmue has nothing to do with yakuza, and also its good" derail again. I'll start it

Shenmue has nothing to do with Yakzua, and also, its good.

i guess its just me. i just couldnt get into shenmue. yakuza might be a slow slow burn at times, but it keeps you invested like a good TV show. plus spin kicks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

you can start the fight off on the drunkard with a deathblow and then you can do like 95% of his vitality in the second portion of the fight by waiting for him to drink and getting free hits in. he telegraphs the poo poo out of his attacks so you can actually watch him for a bit with zero danger and get his attack pattern down, you just need to make sure to kill the adds before you do this stuff. but if that's too much for you, you can just hold out for him to drink and basically nearly totally kill him off that alone. he'll stop eventually but you should have two life bars to finish him off and his poise recovers very slowly at that point.

Also there is an NPC that will distract him for you which completely trivializes him if you kill the adds and get a deathblow in first.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I feel like I've asked this before, but my friends and i have finally ran out of games to play (until Iceborne). But are there any good 2-4 player co op games along the lines of Bloodborne, Monster Hunter World, Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls 1, Nioh and Dark Souls 2?

Preferably 3D, and similar to those games, and we're pretty open about genres, I guess, except FPS (I know they can be good, but they don't tend to really have the same feel as the games I mentioned do, or it's like 20-100 players instead of like 4 player co op, plus there's not too many FPS games that any of us play), and like RTS/isometric RPGs/dungeon crawlers. Essentially, I just wish there were more Souls-likes that had co op.. We're not into competitive stuff, just like adventurin with buds in wild fantastical worlds. The only two suggestions I saw when I quickly googled it were Toukiden 2 and Warhammer Vermintide. Also is Hyper Light Drifter as good multiplayer? I've been wanting to play it, but I didn't even know it was 2 player until I saw it on the PS store recently. But that's one of the few 2D games that's looked interesting to me.. I guess I am picky, and not that open, but it seems like there's a lack of co op games that aren't looter shooters which is sad.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do the new user IDs still need to be unique? Surely not.

At least in the Japanese list, Bloodborne is listed as having a (non-serious) error. Does anywhere say what kind of error?

It says the 'non serious' errors are:

quote:

Previous online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players, or the online ID is no longer visible in some areas in a game title (in-game rankings, leaderboards, etc). For some game titles, the online ID will automatically update if you sign out and then sign back in to the game or when various gameplay activity is performed after sign-in;
User accounts on PlayStation may be unlinked from game accounts. Linking accounts again may restore the original linkage; and
Certain game settings may be initialized to their default state (audio setting, controller setting, etc). For some game titles, settings may be recovered if you sign out and then sign back in to the game.
These games are identified on the Games List by (Issues Identified*). These games are also separately listed in ‘Games with Issue Identified*’.

So no save wipes or anything like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imhotep posted:

I feel like I've asked this before, but my friends and i have finally ran out of games to play (until Iceborne). But are there any good 2-4 player co op games along the lines of Bloodborne, Monster Hunter World, Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls 1, Nioh and Dark Souls 2?

Preferably 3D, and similar to those games, and we're pretty open about genres, I guess, except FPS (I know they can be good, but they don't tend to really have the same feel as the games I mentioned do, or it's like 20-100 players instead of like 4 player co op, plus there's not too many FPS games that any of us play), and like RTS/isometric RPGs/dungeon crawlers. Essentially, I just wish there were more Souls-likes that had co op.. We're not into competitive stuff, just like adventurin with buds in wild fantastical worlds. The only two suggestions I saw when I quickly googled it were Toukiden 2 and Warhammer Vermintide. Also is Hyper Light Drifter as good multiplayer? I've been wanting to play it, but I didn't even know it was 2 player until I saw it on the PS store recently. But that's one of the few 2D games that's looked interesting to me.. I guess I am picky, and not that open, but it seems like there's a lack of co op games that aren't looter shooters which is sad.

Hyper Light Drifter is good but if there is Co-op that's news to me.

Edit: Sure enough. They must have added that in somewhere along the line? Maybe I just never noticed.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 11, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

Also there is an NPC that will distract him for you which completely trivializes him if you kill the adds and get a deathblow in first.

Yeah, clear them out with Gaachin's sugar or whatever, wait till Juzou goes back, get the stealth deathblow on him, then go talk to the NPC and mash the talk button, he'll agro him, then when he takes a couple of hits, you might wanna throw oil on him or something for good measure, and set him on fire, although it's doable if you just take turns taking agro. The fight is trivialized like that.

There's a certain glutton later who you can use the same methods on, but using skills you've yet to learn. Although it's more fun to fight him one on one later, imo.

But cool I'll get HLD, I think a friend owns it and also doubted that it had co op. I wish Risk of Rain 2 was coming to PS4, I mean it might, I haven't looked into it, but I enjoyed playing a bit at a friend's, and it's co op..

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Imhotep posted:

Yeah, clear them out with Gaachin's sugar or whatever, wait till Juzou goes back, get the stealth deathblow on him, then go talk to the NPC and mash the talk button, he'll agro him, then when he takes a couple of hits, you might wanna throw oil on him or something for good measure, and set him on fire, although it's doable if you just take turns taking agro. The fight is trivialized like that.

There's a certain glutton later who you can use the same methods on, but using skills you've yet to learn. Although it's more fun to fight him one on one later, imo.

But cool I'll get HLD, I think a friend owns it and also doubted that it had co op. I wish Risk of Rain 2 was coming to PS4, I mean it might, I haven't looked into it, but I enjoyed playing a bit at a friend's, and it's co op..

You dont have to talk to the npc, just lead the boss to him

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
EDF: IR has a aim button that applies to every weapon, but it apparently doesn't actually change anything about their behavior, like the shot clustering or anything, unless there a sniper rifle or whatever. Clap clap clap clap.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I can't tell if this is the sincere feeling of Shenmue fans in 2019, that they are actually super excited for forklifts

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

The arena for the 2nd fight against the big monster you fight twice in sekiro is total garbage. If you unlock and run around the camera keeps getting stuck on the ceiling idk as you run off into the distance.

It's actually crazy how bad a sizeable portion of the boss arenas are.
Like off the top of my head,

The shinobi in the hole in the ground
Genichiro Ashina Castle
Owl Ashina Castle
The second Guardian ape fight

There was only one or two fights in DS3 that broke camera from what I remember so this seems like a massive step back.
Everything about Sekiro is a definite refinement over Souls games EXCEPT bosses IMO

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I can't tell if this is the sincere feeling of Shenmue fans in 2019, that they are actually super excited for forklifts

The forklift driving bit of the original game was the worst part so eh....

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Everyone will be "Aww yeah forklifts!!!" for about two minutes into the forklift section of the game and then immediately flip on that feeling.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the forklifts in 1 were surreal and great. anyway here's a recent thing about them and how they fit in for character story and themes. https://kotaku.com/shenmues-much-hated-forklifts-feel-revolutionary-today-1833817433

Dapper_Swindler posted:

plus spin kicks.

there are spin kicks in shenmue. :shrug:

anyway, 3 is looking fantastic, recent Yu Suzuki interview he said the game was done about a year ago and there just spending their time polishing and bug fixing and upgrading poo poo. the only thing i read that concerns me is that they may have changed the gambling games to not be gambling with hard cash like in 2 because of some Chinese anti-gambling laws or something. i hope not because the gambling in 2 is seriously amazing. playing it now and there have been times when i hit one-shot on odds of x6 for a 50 dollar bet and holy poo poo i was screaming over this digital hkd

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 11, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I liked forklift racing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Forklift racing was fairly fun (apart from when you were doing well then clipped something slightly and went to a 100% dead stop you'd never recover from) just actual job part went on for way, way too long before you could continue the story.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah the forklift job could have been a day or two shorter.

It doesn't help that if you miss a trigger you're just repeating the same day again.

Still, it was a unique experience.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah the forklift job could have been a day or two shorter.

It doesn't help that if you miss a trigger you're just repeating the same day again.

Still, it was a unique experience.

Sounds like Shenmue in a nutshell. I've never seen a game quite like it and for that reason at least I love it. I like a lot of other things too but I respect ambition and effort.

I don't know a thing about the sequel except it isn't set in Japan.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There was only one or two fights in DS3 that broke camera from what I remember so this seems like a massive step back.
Everything about Sekiro is a definite refinement over Souls games EXCEPT bosses IMO

I cannot remember ever dying due to the camera in an action game before Sekiro. I’m sure it’s happened, but not in Bloodborne or DMC or MGR... but holy hell the camera in Sekiro is like some kind of spite demon.

Probably that and the side quests are my biggest complaint. Compared to Bloodborne & Dark Souls some of this stuff is inscrutable and without a buddy playing at the same time I’d have totally missed out on some cool stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stop having issues with a From game so I can’t make my Stockholm Syndrome cracks anymore!!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe I'm missing something big but the chat macro system in EDF:IW seems to have been made completely useless. I can't even figure out how to yell EDF! And apparently no one I have played with can too. What in the gently caress is an EDF multiplayer session where all the players aren't yelling EDF all the time?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bust Rodd posted:

I cannot remember ever dying due to the camera in an action game before Sekiro. I’m sure it’s happened, but not in Bloodborne or DMC or MGR... but holy hell the camera in Sekiro is like some kind of spite demon.

Probably that and the side quests are my biggest complaint. Compared to Bloodborne & Dark Souls some of this stuff is inscrutable and without a buddy playing at the same time I’d have totally missed out on some cool stuff.

I dont think theres anything wrong with the camera itself. Its just that in souls games you dont engage in back and forth parry duels with bosses. You can easily get pushed in the corner if you arent paying attention.

In Bloodborne you are always switching positions by dodging so you never end up in a similar situation

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

I cannot remember ever dying due to the camera in an action game before Sekiro. I’m sure it’s happened, but not in Bloodborne or DMC or MGR...

I don’t believe you

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Shemue's combat is kinda sorta more interesting by default because it's based on Virtua Fighter and most of the enemies are using the same AI (and in some cases move sets) as similar characters from Virtua Fighter. But it gets to shine most in 2 where there's several points where you can fight and various folks you can challenge for money. And you get so many moves you can switch them out with each other if there's particular ones you don't use or really like. But Yakuza's is of course more immediately satisfying. I love them both. <3

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont think theres anything wrong with the camera itself.

The camera is fine when it has room to maneuver in large open spaces but From insists on staging boss fights in small arenas with nowhere for it to go.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm surprised people have trouble with the camera in the fight at the top of Ashina castle - aren't most of the walls (except the corners) open to the outside in that arena, allowing the camera to move around freely? Of all the troubles I've had I don't think any of them were in that place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shenmue 1's combat is so good because Ryo has the complexity and moveset of a Virtua Fighter character, you can spend hours and hours practicing your moves, and there are maybe 10 actual fights in the entire game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I'm surprised people have trouble with the camera in the fight at the top of Ashina castle - aren't most of the walls (except the corners) open to the outside in that arena, allowing the camera to move around freely? Of all the troubles I've had I don't think any of them were in that place.

In theory but when the camera pans through a corner, you get this weird bump where the camera kinda clips against the corners. Depends on how close you are to the edges.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think the only third-person action game that didn't drop you into a world of hurt if you ever got corner-trapped was god hand

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The real boss of Sekiro is those open doors on top of Ashina Castle

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is there any game where the camera isn't a physical object that can smash into walls, and will instead clip through it and make the wall its viewing you through invisible instead? I suppose it brings up issues on, like, making sure it doesn't display anything in the room that it has clipped into, or anything else beyond what it would be able to see normally, despite being in a wall.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

In theory but when the camera pans through a corner, you get this weird bump where the camera kinda clips against the corners. Depends on how close you are to the edges.

This happened to me a lot in Big Daddy G's arena and Irithyll Dungeon and a few other places in BB and DS3.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Morpheus posted:

Is there any game where the camera isn't a physical object that can smash into walls, and will instead clip through it and make the wall its viewing you through invisible instead? I suppose it brings up issues on, like, making sure it doesn't display anything in the room that it has clipped into, or anything else beyond what it would be able to see normally, despite being in a wall.

How tf do you propose that Lakitu fly through walls??

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morpheus posted:

Oni did this 20 years ago. I would guess it didn't catch on for exactly those reasons, sometimes it looked a little strange.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

univbee posted:

Here's the full list of games which were tested and can really gently caress your poo poo up.

Disc Jam™ (Critical Issues**)
Drawn to Death (Critical Issues**)
Everybody's Golf (Critical Issues**)
Just Dance 2017 (Critical Issues**)
LittleBigPlanet™ 3 (Critical Issues**)
MLB 14 The Show (Critical Issues**)
MLB The Show 16 (Critical Issues**)
MLB® The Show™ 15 (Critical Issues**)
ONRUSH (Critical Issues**)
The Golf Club 2™ (Critical Issues**)
Worms™ Battlegrounds (Critical Issues**)

Everything else either Just Works(TM) or might have some minor issues like needing to sign out and sign back in the first time, or relinking some separate account relating to the game, but your progress won't die.

“Critical issues” may sound more scary than it actually is. In the case of Little Big Planet it just means your old ID is still present on any leaderboard positions , comments, or objects you have made.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Morpheus posted:

It can be really bad if you get pinned up by the door that opens after the fight. Really just the corners in general .

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morpheus posted:

Three of the walls are, the other one has an open door and a statue next to the open door with just enough room for your character to get wedged between the two so you can't dodge anywhere and can't see anything because the camera is freaking out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So a lot of the characters in the Mad Max game have deliberately humorously sexual names (the main villain is called Scrotus, for example) but the new one takes the cake: I just fought a boss called RIM JOBBIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, 3/10 PS2 game GOD HAND